The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 02-15-2021, 07:19 PM   #1
Jeff
Stone Warrior

Best Episodes to Talk Someone Into the Nick Show?

Hello, hello! I cohost a podcast called Talk Me Into where one or two of the hosts try to talk the other one or two hosts into liking they they like. I plan talking one of the co-hosts into the Nick series, but I need help from everyone here.

He is a Turtles fan, but never got into the Nick show. When it first aired he claimed it was "too kiddie." He gave it an honest try, but couldn't get into it, But that was 9 years ago, and it's time to try harder!

Overall, I like the Nick show, but do have some issues with it myself, such as tone, too many filler episodes, and not concluding some story lines. But that's a topic for another thread!

I've seen the entire series, but not multiple times (like I have with 2k3), so here's where I need help. I need to pick between 3-5 episodes that I'll make Dan watch to convince him to like the show. He likes the "darker", or more mature themes in Turtles, (which this show was rife with) over the super silly stuff (which this show was also drowning in). I think some Karai stuff would be great, but can't narrow it down to 1 or 2 episodes. I also want to add something with Triceratons/Fugitoid (my personal favorite).

If you can suggest however many episodes you think woud do the job, it would be greatly appreciated and I'll shout you out on the podcast! We record the first half of the episode in 2 weeks, and the seond half (post watch) in 4 weeks.

Thanks in advance! And we haven't had a TMNT episode yet (since we all love the franchise), but we did have an Usagi Yojimbo episode if you wanna check that out! https://talkmeinto.com/usagi-yojimbo
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 07:45 PM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

I don't think I would ever recommend the show to someone without pointing out that I think the over-arcing story sucks, I think quite a few people might get disappointed with how the show is as a whole. There are probably a few episodes that stick out but I don't know if they make much sense on their own.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 06:58 AM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

Just watch the show in order. I'm not a fan of just picking out random episodes from the middle of a series.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:31 AM   #4
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I don't think I would ever recommend the show to someone without pointing out that I think the over-arcing story sucks, I think quite a few people might get disappointed with how the show is as a whole. There are probably a few episodes that stick out but I don't know if they make much sense on their own.
As much as I legit enjoy TMNT 2012, I have to agree with this. There is a lot of gold in there, but there is also a lot of trash.

Not to mention, the fact
Spoiler:
Mutant Apocalypse is the intended series finale really puts a nail in the coffin for me personally. I dislike the notion that everything they worked for to protect just gets wrecked anyway, and they live miserable lives in a dystopian wasteland (yes, I am aware it gets 'fixed' by finding Paradise, but they still wasted most of their lives apart, and still have to deal with living in a literal shithole in the end and that all their friends are dead).
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 08:10 AM   #5
The Turtle Terminator
Mad Scientist

The Gauntlet (S1Ep9) is probably my favourite episode of the series and the one I would be most likely to rewatch if I ever desired to
Old 02-16-2021, 08:24 AM   #6
newfan
Mad Scientist

There's a thread somewhere with ranked favourite eps for this show, there were a few that kept coming up on people's lists (one being The Gauntlet, mentioned above) but that doesn't mean they would be best to start getting into a show.

It depends what the person you are advising likes too, show can be a bit of mixed bag. I'd go with Cubed, just start watching from that start (enough to give it a chance) and see if you can go with the over all vibe. If you wanted to randomly pick eps I'd still keep it to the early seasons, this was the case for me actually, I can't exactly remember the first ep I saw but I caught some early ones randomly and at some point got to watching in order.

Last edited by newfan; 02-16-2021 at 08:38 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 01:08 PM   #7
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

In agreement with everyone so far. I wouldn't want to get him into the show out of context. Best to start from the beginning.

If however we need a random assortment, these fives I can rewatch no problem for their drama, action, and storytelling. I haven't watched season 5 in full, but I would say these are some top choices:

-The Gauntlet or Showdown from Season 1 (arguably the peak of the first season in terms of action and story, respectively)
-Slash & Destroy from season 2 (One of my top episodes. Can easily watch without context as long as you know Raph has Spike for a pet in the beginning)
-Vengeance is Mine or Wrath of Tiger Claw from season 2 (the best Karai episodes, bar none. Excellent drama; make sure to watch Showdown for context on Karai though.)
-Super Shredder/Darkest Plight from season 4 (self-explanatory. Arguably one of the darkest set of episodes, especially the latter.)
-Requiem and Owari from season 4 (again, self-explanatory.)

Lastly, Serpent Hunt is underrated. It all depends on your interest in the eventual Bebop and Rocksteady. But any of the ones listed I can recommend as long as you have some context; that goes double for seasons 3-5 episodes.

Comedy-wise, up to you. I can't judge the taste in humor on what one likes and does not like.
Old 02-16-2021, 01:43 PM   #8
Jeff
Stone Warrior

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, keep em coming!

Usually, I agree with watching in order. Whenever we do a TV show on the podcast, that is usually how we do it. In this case though, I don't want to. He tried it in order when it came out and it didn't hook him. I want to give him some of the best episodes! He knows enough about TMNT where he'll understand the context of most episodes.
Old 02-16-2021, 02:00 PM   #9
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, keep em coming!

Usually, I agree with watching in order. Whenever we do a TV show on the podcast, that is usually how we do it. In this case though, I don't want to. He tried it in order when it came out and it didn't hook him. I want to give him some of the best episodes! He knows enough about TMNT where he'll understand the context of most episodes.
If he gave it enough of a try it just might not be for him.

I agree on the list made by GoldMutant above. Never Say Xever comes to mind also.
I liked the season finales for the main part but I wouldn't suggest jumping straight into those before anything else.

Season 5 eps would be a jump too far forwards and was also done a little differently after the main series, if you want an ep with good fight scenes though The Forgotten Swordsman is worth a look (still wouldn't pick it first though)

Last edited by newfan; 02-17-2021 at 01:39 AM.
Old 02-17-2021, 02:31 PM   #10
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

The Fred Wolf crossovers, if they had seen the Fred Wolf cartoon.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 02:53 PM   #11
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

What I did when I introduced people to the show, is start with "Lone rat and Cubs" since it's a very good showcase what the show is all about without it having anything to do with the main story lines of the regular episodes. It doesn't spoil a whole lot of what came in the first and second seasons.

I showed "Lone Rat" a bunch of times and people familiar with either the 1987 series or the Movies went "Ah, yeah, I recognize that!" and "Ah I see, so they're following the premise of the 1987 series." and once they see Splinter fighting they'll go "Hold on, those are actual Martial arts movements, these guys did their homework!"

So here's my must watch list if you want to introduce people to the show.

- Lone rat and Cubs
- Rise of the Turtles parts 1 and 2
- New friend, old enemy
- I think his name is Baxter Stockman
- Monkey Brains
- Never say Xever
- The Gauntlet
- It came from the depths
- I, monster
- New girl in town
- The Alien agenda
- TCRI
- Karai's vendetta
- Show down

And if they like it enough, then introduce them to the second season which upped the drama factor considerably.

Last edited by The Great Saiyaman; 02-17-2021 at 03:03 PM.
The Great Saiyaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:50 AM   #12
Cyndaquilfan123
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Just watch the show in order. I'm not a fan of just picking out random episodes from the middle of a series.

Cubed is on the money right here. ^
Old 02-18-2021, 10:55 AM   #13
Leo656
The Franchise

The guy's already said more than once that his buddy has TRIED to watch the show in order and didn't like it. Thus the entire point of this thread. Jeez, people.

I also wouldn't want the job of trying to talk someone into this show. On account of I didn't like it much, either, and to me it really just seems like one of those things you're either into or not. Five episodes wouldn't change my mind, because all the stuff I hate about it still exists, and I kinda doubt that five "better" episodes would be enough to change anyone else's mind if they didn't like the first few episodes. Those were some of the only ones I saw that didn't annoy the crap out of me, so if those didn't hook someone, the show probably just plain isn't for them, I'd wager. I mean the show definitely made some bizarre and off-putting choices, but it's not like they went away as the series went on, they more or less doubled-down on everything that was divisive the further it went.

But I mean, it's your podcast and not mine, brother. Good luck; definitely an uphill battle, though.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 04:46 PM   #14
Jeff
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
The guy's already said more than once that his buddy has TRIED to watch the show in order and didn't like it. Thus the entire point of this thread. Jeez, people.

I also wouldn't want the job of trying to talk someone into this show. On account of I didn't like it much, either, and to me it really just seems like one of those things you're either into or not. Five episodes wouldn't change my mind, because all the stuff I hate about it still exists, and I kinda doubt that five "better" episodes would be enough to change anyone else's mind if they didn't like the first few episodes. Those were some of the only ones I saw that didn't annoy the crap out of me, so if those didn't hook someone, the show probably just plain isn't for them, I'd wager. I mean the show definitely made some bizarre and off-putting choices, but it's not like they went away as the series went on, they more or less doubled-down on everything that was divisive the further it went.

But I mean, it's your podcast and not mine, brother. Good luck; definitely an uphill battle, though.
I'm pretty much exactly with you on this, but I think that the highs of the show were as good as the lows were bad. We're all open minded on the podcast, and I know it'll be a tough battle, but I'm willing to do it! (plus we need a topic every week, so if he hates it, oh well).
Old 02-18-2021, 04:53 PM   #15
Leo656
The Franchise

Idiot Casey, Teen April, and Creepy Stalker Donnie were enough to make me abandon ship. And that wasn't even that far in! There was other stuff that wasn't so bad, but nothing that I liked enough to make me sit through That Other Stuff.

Everybody's got their own personal "line". Some people, that stuff didn't bother them much. But it sure got MY goddamn goat.

Anyways, should be a pretty fun time trying to win them over, anyways. Good luck!

Old 02-18-2021, 05:14 PM   #16
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Idiot Casey, Teen April, and Creepy Stalker Donnie were enough to make me abandon ship. And that wasn't even that far in! There was other stuff that wasn't so bad, but nothing that I liked enough to make me sit through That Other Stuff.

Everybody's got their own personal "line". Some people, that stuff didn't bother them much. But it sure got MY goddamn goat.

Anyways, should be a pretty fun time trying to win them over, anyways. Good luck!
Don't forget Retard Mikey in that list.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:23 PM   #17
Leo656
The Franchise

Good gravy, how can I forget.

Like, I do get why people like the show. Kinda. But for me... WOW. Some of it is just like, "How is this NOT bothering anyone else as much as it's bothering me?" kinda stuff.

I don't want to accuse people of just being so happy there was a TMNT cartoon at all that they were willing to kinda look the other way on some stuff, but... well... I do kinda think that.

It did have some good moments, though, and the art style was alright. Don't wanna be 100% negative, here.

Old 02-18-2021, 05:25 PM   #18
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Good gravy, how can I forget.

Like, I do get why people like the show. Kinda. But for me... WOW. Some of it is just like, "How is this NOT bothering anyone else as much as it's bothering me?" kinda stuff.

I don't want to accuse people of just being so happy there was a TMNT cartoon at all that they were willing to kinda look the other way on some stuff, but... well... I do kinda think that.

It did have some good moments, though, and the art style was alright. Don't wanna be 100% negative, here.
It definitely had a lot of good stuff in it to make up for the bad, or so I've been given to understand.

I suppose I'll give it another try someday. In the middle of 4Kids Season 2 with my kids right now...
Old 02-19-2021, 12:48 AM   #19
The Turtle Terminator
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
It definitely had a lot of good stuff in it to make up for the bad, or so I've been given to understand.

I suppose I'll give it another try someday. In the middle of 4Kids Season 2 with my kids right now...
How are you/they finding the 4Kids show so far?
Old 02-19-2021, 02:44 AM   #20
newfan
Mad Scientist

The show can be a mixed bag, going on the comments above that is a fair point, it depends how much the things a person doesn't like bothers them. Did the person in question just not really get that interested or did it seem awful to them?

What you go in expecting can affect the outcome too, so if he does go back it's not like he will have high hopes dashed I guess, he's expecting not to care about it much.