The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 03-02-2021, 02:46 AM   #101
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

While I don't feel as negatively about these figures as you all do (I'm actually glad they don't come with the same accessories because it would have made the mammoth effort I put into obtaining a complete set of all the ninja stars all for naught)...

I think we can all laugh at how the pandemic has conveniently prevented Pixel Dan or anyone else from grilling that Playmates rep on-camera about the differences. Lucked out there!
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:16 AM   #102
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieLaForge View Post
They could have. But I already have that figure. Don't you? If not what's stopping you?
The price? ^^;

At least for a complete version, it's more expensive just for Splinter than for this entire re-issue set. But I do get what you're saying about the appeal of a new unique variant.
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:54 AM   #103
Y2Josh
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
One final thought... given how well NECA is doing these days, I wonder if they might be a contender to take the license away from Playmates at some point. Playmates is floundering while NECA is flourishing, it's only a matter of time before some bigger dog comes along and outbids them on the license. Have you seen Playmates new Godzilla/Kong toys? Totally hideous... I don't know how they are staying afloat.
I love NECA, but I just can't imagine them working as the primary supplier for the line which is, ostensibly, for children and meant to be played with. Although I haven't experienced QC issues to the level that some have, you definitely do have to be careful with their figures, and they certainly wouldn't hold up to the way we (or I, at least) would have played with them when we were kids.
Y2Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:16 AM   #104
Hench Mutant

awesome

omg I need that Splinter!
1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:54 AM   #105
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post

One final thought... given how well NECA is doing these days, I wonder if they might be a contender to take the license away from Playmates at some point. Playmates is floundering while NECA is flourishing, it's only a matter of time before some bigger dog comes along and outbids them on the license. Have you seen Playmates new Godzilla/Kong toys? Totally hideous... I don't know how they are staying afloat.
id rather have Hasbro get the TMNT license. I mean Marvel Legends/Power Rangers Lightning collection style TMNT figures would be awesome

I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:21 PM   #106
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Since Hasbro has PR I just don't think they'd want to put the effort into TMNT. Yes, they are doing the TMNT/PR figures soon but that's not a big investment on their end that a huge line would be. I feel that's just their way of capitalizing on the crossover appeal and not a hint that they want the TMNT license.

Also, I was presuming that if NECA did become the primary license holder, that they simply wouldn't do a large line for future toons and such as Playmates had. There's no law that says they have to. Or they could sub-license it out as Playmates has, for example.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:26 PM   #107
inaheap
Stone Warrior

Would love to see TMNT get Origins-style treatment. As long as the high-end companies are not stopped from doing their thing too.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:43 PM   #108
Zachatello00
Domehead

I was somewhat interested in this set. Now that I see it, it's a no. But still hoping it sells well. Would love to have a Storage Shell box set...
Old 03-02-2021, 03:53 PM   #109
cloud
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieLaForge View Post
While I don't feel as negatively about these figures as you all do (I'm actually glad they don't come with the same accessories because it would have made the mammoth effort I put into obtaining a complete set of all the ninja stars all for naught)...

I think we can all laugh at how the pandemic has conveniently prevented Pixel Dan or anyone else from grilling that Playmates rep on-camera about the differences. Lucked out there!
I am feeling the opposite. Playmates can still do a Zoom video with the fans if they wanted to.
It would be a good idea to gauge what the fans would want to see from them. Ideas for the next toy line. Don't like the franchise die.

Or maybe they are just waiting for the movie to come out. There's 2 in the works and hopefully a trailer soon.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:02 PM   #110
mikey0
Foot Elite

Why are the hands and feet of “Movie Star Splinter” orange? The prototype for “Movie Star Splinter” was a little bit better.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:07 PM   #111
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post
I am feeling the opposite. Playmates can still do a Zoom video with the fans if they wanted to.
It would be a good idea to gauge what the fans would want to see from them. Ideas for the next toy line. Don't like the franchise die.

Or maybe they are just waiting for the movie to come out. There's 2 in the works and hopefully a trailer soon.
I would be laughing because we would be seeing Playmates Dangerfield flabbergasted by the disapproval and devoid of any explanations for why the devations, tugging at his necktie and saying "I can't get no respect"...
Old 03-04-2021, 11:00 AM   #112
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987 View Post
omg I need that Splinter!
Have you seen it in person?

https://mobile.twitter.com/KabrNaast...15675412901888

“Movie Star Splinter” looks more like a bootleg than the one that came with the Movie Star turtles and Movie Star Foot Soldiers knockoffs.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:51 AM   #113
TMNTFanatic4Life
Hench Mutant

I got one via target notification around 12:45PM...it kept going in and out of stock a few times during that..we will see if it holds. I had a 20 percent off coupon for target circle members so it was about 38.00

Last edited by TMNTFanatic4Life; 03-04-2021 at 02:53 PM.
TMNTFanatic4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:46 PM   #114
kizer17
Random Punk

I also got one via target notification. It sold out in 1 minute and this was at 6:00 am so a lot of people wouldn't be up.
kizer17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 03:35 PM   #115
mikey0
Foot Elite

Did anybody else notice that the new Movie Star turtles reissues have the same scar patterns on the pectoral and femoral parts of their bodies?

It looks like the Movie Star turtles reissues made in 1994 were as good as it gets for Movie Star turtles repros.

Last edited by mikey0; 03-04-2021 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 03:46 PM   #116
TMNTFanatic4Life
Hench Mutant

Back in stock for anyone interested

https://www.target.com/p/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-movie-star-action-figure-set---6-pack/-/A-82039790

And now out of stock

Last edited by TMNTFanatic4Life; 03-04-2021 at 04:20 PM.
TMNTFanatic4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 04:29 PM   #117
IMJ
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaheap View Post
Would love to see TMNT get Origins-style treatment. As long as the high-end companies are not stopped from doing their thing too.
Isn't that pretty much what Super 7 is doing though?
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:52 PM   #118
mikey0
Foot Elite

Pros of TMNT Figures with Origins-style Treatment

- 4.5 inches tall like the vintage figures.

- Price point.

- Vehicles like the Cheapskate and Turtle Trooper will appear early in the line.

- A new Sewer Playset before the TMNT Ultimates one?

- A great way to get the newer generations to love the vintage toy line the way we do.

- Sold at Walmart, Target, and possibly GameStop and their websites.

- On Amazon as well.

- Keeping the action features of the original basic waves and Wacky Action sub-waves intact.

- More than 4 figures in a wave.

- Better cardback artwork (it would have to be modeled after the 1988 to 1992 cards).

- No characters from the Archie and IDW comics.

Cons of TMNT Figures with Origins-style Treatment

- No second set of weapons off the sprue.

- Case ratios?

- Not as lavishly painted as the TMNT Ultimates figures.

- Made with zero fan input.

- Extra head sculpts missing for most characters.

- It will be long overdue.

Last edited by mikey0; 03-04-2021 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:02 PM   #119
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Isn't that pretty much what Super 7 is doing though?
No. Super7 is producing hi-quality collector's figures, that's a Classics-style line if you compare to what they previously did with Masters of the Universe. "Origins-style" refers to what Mattel is currently doing with MOTU: a cheaper line of figures basically identical to the vintage ones but with some added articulations.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:45 PM   #120
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

Got mine and opened them. My Splinter doesn't have a sticker with his name on it on the bubble but all the rest including Shredder do. Anyone else's like that?