The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 06-30-2010, 12:15 AM   #421
Shellsweet
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Ok, you have a banner of the TMNT07 CGI turtles in your sig... but I'll move on...

It's your opinion that they didn't look good for the 2007 movie, but you can't just say the entire medium of CGI doesn't work for Ninja Turtles.
I like the movie, I do! I'm just trying to explain with 2d Vs. computer animated. I had a feeling I didnt explain it right. Sorry. I'm gonna give up on that part.

Ask me about Commissions!

Last edited by Shellsweet; 06-30-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Shellsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:52 AM   #422
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
D9 got freebies from Peter Jackson's production company. That's the only reason it looks that good for so cheap.
Oh sure and this Turtle movie has Michael Bay's production company. Comparable I would say.

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:16 AM   #423
Spitfire
Writer • Director

Maybe but the filmmaker was a friend of Jackson and Jackson helped get the movie bankrolled because he had a lot of faith in the screenplay. I think that's a different relationship then Bay being attached to a company. Bay to my knowledge doesn't have his own Lucas Arts style company he can get free special effects labor out of if he wants to. Maybe he does but to my knowledge D9 was a very rare case.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:57 AM   #424
Dragon Turtle
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap Happy View Post
That's so they don't have to worry about the uncanny valley (which is actually something studios care about.)
Not really, some animators are just dead set against realistic looking human characters, believing there must always be some caricature in animated characters.
Dragon Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:32 PM   #425
TheShowstoppa
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Maybe but the filmmaker was a friend of Jackson and Jackson helped get the movie bankrolled because he had a lot of faith in the screenplay. I think that's a different relationship then Bay being attached to a company. Bay to my knowledge doesn't have his own Lucas Arts style company he can get free special effects labor out of if he wants to. Maybe he does but to my knowledge D9 was a very rare case.
That's actually really close. Blomkamp is a friend of Jackson's and was Jackson's pick to be the director for Halo while he was attached to it. As far as Peter Jackson's company goes - The hardware they used in the movie The Frighteners was the platform hardware they used when they started making Lord of the Rings. It's been pretty much bought and paid for with that wonderful Billion + the series made in theaters.

With District 9 - The movie was made for a modest $30 Million, but it was also actually shot in South Africa, which made production really cheap to begin with. Aside from the interior of the spaceship, etc - the majority of those sets were actual buildings and not a CG backdrop. Wonderfully - It was also done with the aid of Jackson, so Blomkamp had no complaints about his input.

Basically - The whole entire reason D9 was even made was because Jackson was trying to sell Blomkamp as a great director to the studios so he could land the Halo series. Had the movie not have forever been in production hell, then yeah - It would have worked. The movie was Number 1 at the box office and an Academy Award Nominee for Best Picture. I'm sure we'll see more awesome from those two in the future (D9 2... PLEASE!!!)

The big thing that's different about Platinum Dunes and Michael Bay compared to Jackson's company is that PD doesn't have the wonderful tech that Jackson has. Truth be told, they - like many others, still lease out hardware for CG effects with the biggest winner being ILM. The only reason PD is huge is because of their string of hit remakes.

And once again - It's Andrew Form and Brad Fuller that are the head producers for Platinum Dunes... Not Michael Bay.

Courtesy of LUCKFF
"I don't know what bothers me more; That this actually worked, or that Don carries around a pigeon puppet." - Mikey: Search for Splinter Pt. 1
TheShowstoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:18 PM   #426
Brodie
Certified Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShowstoppa View Post

And once again - It's Andrew Form and Brad Fuller that are the head producers for Platinum Dunes... Not Michael Bay.
Again, in case people missed it that time.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:42 PM   #427
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

This thread makes me smile
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:52 PM   #428
neatoman
Emperor

Huh, so judging from the OP post date, the decision to go with Bay as the producer happened less than nine months after the buyout and it took them four years to make the damn movie...

I know the plan was for the movie to hit 2012 rather than 2014 but still, memories get fuzzier over time and you forget how quickly they chose producer and how long it took for the movie to come out.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:57 PM   #429
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Huh, so judging from the OP post date, the decision to go with Bay as the producer happened less than nine months after the buyout and it took them four years to make the damn movie...
Crazy, when you think that even after those 4 years, they didn't know what kind of movie they wanted and shot 3 different movies from it.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:31 PM   #430
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

If it's like Out of the Shadows, I'll enjoy it.
DisKosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:56 PM   #431
CyberCubed
Overlord

Look at this Andrew post on the third page, everything he said here was the exact opposite of what happened, it's like his worst fears come true:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
1. People whining about Bay inserting explosions and nonsense are just knee-jerking, and otherwise aren't really well versed in the politics or track record of Platinum Dunes.

2. There's nothing stopping anybody from including any characters from the OS cartoon in the movies and there never has been -- except Kevin and Peter, and thank god for them doing so (in fairness though, it's not like their exclusion helped the last few movies suck any less than they did, though).

3. A studio like Platinum Dunes -- having put out the very grown-up films they have and quite successfully -- is nothing but a huge, huge boon for this reboot movie. For the first time we may be looking at a situation where the people heading up the movie can look TPTB (Paramount/Viacom/Nick) in the eye and tell them, "We want to make this movie our way" (be it -- gasp -- PG-13) and they might not get a great deal of argument back.

4. Sorry, Krang in a new TMNT movie reboot would be b*******. No offense, Krang.
This is from 2010. So Andrew was uh...29 when he made this post? Look at how hopeful he was in his 20's compared to now.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:56 PM   #432
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisKosh View Post
If it's like Out of the Shadows, I'll enjoy it.
Dude, this thread was created 7 years ago for the original movie, it's not a OOTS sequel...
Old 08-10-2017, 04:05 PM   #433
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Look at this Andrew post on the third page, everything he said here was the exact opposite of what happened, it's like his worst fears come true:

This is from 2010. So Andrew was uh...29 when he made this post? Look at how hopeful he was in his 20's compared to now.
At that time I was on the phone with Kevin Eastman quite a bit, and what he was telling me as it was happening WAS pretty hopeful. He was hopeful, it was contagious. "Fights like The Raid! Action like District 13!" blah blah.

And at that point PD hadn't really done anything yet I didn't like.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:05 PM   #434
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Crazy, when you think that even after those 4 years, they didn't know what kind of movie they wanted and shot 3 different movies from it.
Well, there was that whole "alien" controversy that might have contributed to the delay but I still find the idea that writing a new script would delay it for as long as it was.
Hahahaha!
Old 08-10-2017, 04:21 PM   #435
AquaParade
Banned

Going off the fact that they filmed "three very different versions", I'd be super curious to see a different cut of the first Platinum Dunes TMNT.

I think it could potentially be a salvagable film by adding/deleting a few things:

1. Finish the cg for the fight scene that was cut for budgetary reasons - all the actors were gushing about it. Potentially what inspired Kevin's "raid" comments. Some of the fight choreography was pretty good in this film. More would help.

2. Cut out things like the turtles absorbing bullets, fart jokes, etc. Lot's of easy nip/tucks. Maybe cut out some excess Megan Fox scenes.

Honestly, as much as I dislike the film, I could actually enjoy it if they added/deleted some of these bits. It's not very likely they'd ever do this, but it's fun to dream of potentially possible things.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:21 PM   #436
CyberCubed
Overlord

LOL, at the time this thread was made I was only 24. Goddamn, where does the time go? We're all a lot more hopeful and bright-eyed in our early 20's then as cynical adults.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:23 PM   #437
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
LOL, at the time this thread was made I was only 24. Goddamn, where does the time go? We're all a lot more hopeful and bright-eyed in our early 20's then as cynical adults.
What exactly has Nickelodeon given us to be hopeful about, with TMNT? To look forward to? At every turn it's just varying balances of exactly the same pasteurized Fred Wolf rubbish.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:23 PM   #438
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
the same pasteurized Fred Wolf rubbish.
That cuts pretty deep.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:24 PM   #439
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:

4. Sorry, Krang in a new TMNT movie reboot would be b*******. No offense, Krang.
Well, you were right about that at least...
Hahahaha!
Old 08-10-2017, 04:27 PM   #440
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
That cuts pretty deep.
Nothing personal.

Tags
live action films