The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Will we hit issue 200?
Yes 23 50.00%
No 23 50.00%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2022, 10:40 AM   #101
IMJ
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Why do these threads always turn out like this.
Because of factioning that happens along a spectrum of society. It's the kind of factions you get with emotionally-uncertain-nerds in High School, or in low-level office environments where people align to the office-employee-factions they think will make them standout. Those factions usually involve the same opportunistic personal attacks you'll get here in response to ideology posts. Basically people at that level rally behind who they feel is a "nice guy" or rally against people who's insight challenges them because any challenge is an extension of their social or life failure.

People who fit this model also rarely rally behind truth when it doesn't fit their personal porcelain-narrative and even less-so if someone delivering the truth has challenged them to see the truth. Much of the vocal population of this forum fits that spectrum. Societal factions at the grassroots level. The same people would call this post a "wall of text" in disregard of it's content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychturtle View Post
That was a lot to read through. I don’t post as much anymore (life stuff), but I understand a lot of what people are saying. I won’t write a thesis but have to vent a little:

After issue 105 or so, I became VERY bored with tmnt.
You hung on longer than I did, so God bless ya for that one. I dropped at 50 out of apathy. Then people were talking about what was going on in the book across 50 & 100 and long term I'm glad I just walked away from it back then.

Quote:
But just like gambling, I wanted to keep giving it one last chance. I found myself even skimming the dialogue, hoping for an enticing panel.
You sound like a real fan. I did this with a decade of bad Iron Man stories. It's completely irrational, but I think a big part of fandom sometimes is just hanging in there on some irrational faith and desire that it's going to go back to what you loved.

Quote:
I hope it gets better but I really hope they reboot soon. Prolonging it is not helping.
IDW's TMNT is one of the few long-form published books with contiguous numbering left on the shelves. I don't think they should reboot it with a new launch. I respect the book's staying power, so they should just change creative teams, give it a new logo and put a blurb on the cover that says "New Direction!" but stick with the numbering as a show of legacy for the book.

Rebooting and relaunches went a LONG way to killing the comic book industry.

Last edited by IMJ; 02-20-2022 at 10:47 AM.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 11:21 AM   #102
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
I wanted Sophie to do well, but I couldn’t help but be honest with myself about it. So I’ve deduced that either a) someone intervened for the latest two issues, or b) Sophie did a really, really poor job organizing her run. I hope it gets better but I really hope they reboot soon. Prolonging it is not helping.
Their writing is horrible, and now that it's mostly over and things are going back on track, it's too late for a lot of people. It's the equivalent of 50 horrible (and not in the so bad it's good style, I mean just BAD) Friday the 13th movies then someone comes with an actual good one.... Telling people 'this one is actually good, honest you guys' will be a tough sell after 50 failures.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 09:54 AM   #103
TylerD
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
If it keeps going like the last 25 issues, I hope the hell not. More doesn't mean better...
Starting to agree with this myself, just not loving where the storyline is going..... I thought maybe with a rebirth of good Oroku Saki, they could do something cool but it just seems like they are out of ideas right now.

With that said, I absolutely love the Ninja Turtles comics regardless, so I would hate to see this end without at least there being another storyline to come out.... Couldn't imagine not picking up the latest Ninja Turtle comic each month There might be one off short mini series, but still.
TylerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 11:14 AM   #104
ChosenOne
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
It's completely irrational, but I think a big part of fandom sometimes is just hanging in there on some irrational faith and desire that it's going to go back to what you loved.
Well, fandom is born of nostalgia...
Old 02-25-2022, 06:58 PM   #105
CyberCubed
Overlord

The way the IDW comic is written is as if it's not coming to a close anytime soon. I guess it probably will run close to issue 200 assuming sales remain as they are now.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 07:22 PM   #106
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The way the IDW comic is written is as if it's not coming to a close anytime soon
That barely matters. If the sales dip below a certain point, it'll get cancelled. Wouldn't be the first or last book to just get canned mid-story. Hell, even the Dreamwave TMNT comics were promising a big story and that didn't stop it from getting cancelled. It was too late no matter how much 'the next story is gonna be awesome and actually related to the show, we promise' they might have tried.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 06:43 PM   #107
mrmaczaps
Mad Scientist

I'd rather see the ongoing get canned and then IDW could do a couple "throwback" miniseries off of the existing material like the 90s movies or earlier comics and then doing a big Universal crossover & then retcon parts of their series, then pick up again with a new issue 1 without redoing the entire origin or having a million different mutants running around.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 06:47 PM   #108
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
That barely matters. If the sales dip below a certain point, it'll get cancelled. Wouldn't be the first or last book to just get canned mid-story. Hell, even the Dreamwave TMNT comics were promising a big story and that didn't stop it from getting cancelled. It was too late no matter how much 'the next story is gonna be awesome and actually related to the show, we promise' they might have tried.
Nope that's not how IDW operates. If you look at their other series that got ended they gave their writers enough time to wrap up all the major story points, or as much as they could do.

IDW TMNT is constantly introducing new characters like Venus and the current plots, it doesn't feel like it's winding down.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote