The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 11:58 AM   #21
Ninturtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Kraken View Post
Not to mention that the show also objectifies April/Karai to a certain extent.
No it doesn't , those characters aren't made likable just because they're attractive and for no other reason. Also objectification isn't even a bad thing it is just a marketing tactic that harms no one.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:03 PM   #22
Ninturtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyday View Post
I am not asking for female characters to be part of the cast of the main seven because that would feel force. I would just like to see some one shot female characters or female characters that we will probably see as much as any of the other minor characters but preferably characters that are different in personality and goes beyond the good girl and bad girl dynamic. Karai is a step in the right direction and I hope that whoever did the Karai episodes will do the Renet episode because I don't trust Ciro when it comes to female characters since his interpretation of April doesn't really run deep in character.

We had two female mutants (excluding April) in the show so far and at least one of them could talk.
Ciro is the executive producer he was in charge of the Karai and April episodes he just didn't write any episodes .
Old 12-30-2014, 12:08 PM   #23
Ninturtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Because they're bad at their jobs.
one of the important things about having this show for Nick is that it sells toys. Female figures in a line targeted mostly at males don't sell as well.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:11 PM   #24
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Objectification, a cornerstone of the marketing industry, can and does hurt people.

The Krang objectify April, she is not a person to them...but an actual object to obtain and control.

It could be argued that Shredder objectifies Karai, in that he purposely uses her as an instrument of revenge against Splinter, both on a physical and on an emotional front. I don't think Saki intended on coming to love Karai as much as he does, which is a testament to the depth of his character.

Donnie objectifies April every single time he calls her "My April."

The writers would have a far less difficult time combating the issue of "over powered female characters" if they'd add more. Relying on token characters means that those characters must be all things for that section of the population...and that leads to power imbalances.

They do it to themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninturtle View Post
one of the important things about having this show for Nick is that it sells toys. Female figures in a line targeted mostly at males don't sell as well.
So market them for girls.
Or maybe get rid of the ridiculous notion that there's such things as "boys toys" and "girls toys".

It's like these toy companies don't want to make money.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:00 PM   #25
Amaranthus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
Are you talking about the ass shots? because there's tons of Turtle crotch too. They even zoomed into Casey's junk a few times. There's just a general focus on that region for whatever reason
I love the ass shots.
Please don't hate me.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:21 PM   #26
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Or maybe get rid of the ridiculous notion that there's such things as "boys toys" and "girls toys".
That's crazy talk!

But seriously, the lack of female characters is hogwash. And Playmates lack of interest in April variants and just Snake Karai is really frustrating. I might as well print my own Karai.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:26 PM   #27
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
That's crazy talk!
Don't I know it.
I mean, if there's one thing that girls hate, it's playing with dolls.
This is why Disney's been losing money hand over fist for years, because they keep marketing dolls to girls. When will they learn?!

Quote:
But seriously, the lack of female characters is hogwash. And Playmates lack of interest in April variants and just Snake Karai is really frustrating. I might as well print my own Karai
I want a Metalhead doll...oh excuse me action figure. I would totally have gone in on an Irma action figure too, but...after her reveal I'm kind of all set without one.

The dream beavers and ice cream kitty however...
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:34 PM   #28
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

damn right it's called action figures, dolls are boring... Cause they don't have action, and stuff...

I'd love to see a Irma figure, but I'm not holding my breath...
Old 12-30-2014, 01:53 PM   #29
Ninturtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Objectification, a cornerstone of the marketing industry, can and does hurt people.

The Krang objectify April, she is not a person to them...but an actual object to obtain and control.

It could be argued that Shredder objectifies Karai, in that he purposely uses her as an instrument of revenge against Splinter, both on a physical and on an emotional front. I don't think Saki intended on coming to love Karai as much as he does, which is a testament to the depth of his character.

The writers would have a far less difficult time combating the issue of "over powered female characters" if they'd add more. Relying on token characters means that those characters must be all things for that section of the population...and that leads to power imbalances.

1.Why would the villians of the show think of April as anything but an object . They only want her to accomplish their plans. It's not like the show only uses her as an object. Or should the Villians just respect April and leave her alone so they.

2. When Donnie calls her my April it's just a cute pet name . Donnie clearly thinks of her as more than an object and you would have to be stupid not to see that.

geez
Old 12-30-2014, 01:54 PM   #30
Ninturtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
That's crazy talk!

But seriously, the lack of female characters is hogwash. And Playmates lack of interest in April variants and just Snake Karai is really frustrating. I might as well print my own Karai.
Snake Karai will sell better with the male demographic which is the majority of kids that buy the figures.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:56 PM   #31
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I didn't know calling someone by their actual name, and imply them as yours possession is a "cute pet name".

Quote:
Snake Karai will sell better with the male demographic which is the majority of kids that buy the figures.
Still doesn't change that normal Karai looks better then the Snake mutated form. Considering she's been very prominent in the show but only gets a toy as soon as she mutates is very annoying.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:58 PM   #32
Ninturtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:

Yes girls can play with action figures but boys are the majority of people who buy them.
And the toys aren't just marked for boys they market them for kids. The toys dont have a sticker that says boys only. it's just that young boys are the majority of people who buy them.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:59 PM   #33
Ninturtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I didn't know calling someone by their actual name, and imply them as yours possession is a "cute pet name".
it's like calling someone " my love" it's pretty obvious Donnie doesn't think he owns April.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:01 PM   #34
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Then he would have said "my love" or any other actual pet names which I'm pretty sure he have done.

"My [name]" sounds creepy and possessive. Something Gaston from Beauty and the Beast would say.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:02 PM   #35
plastroncafe

Except for that pesky use of the possessive "My."
Donnie wouldn't be jealous of Casey if he didn't think he had a claim on April's affection.

But we digress...
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-30-2014, 02:10 PM   #36
Ninturtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Except for that pesky use of the possessive "My."
Donnie wouldn't be jealous of Casey if he didn't think he had a claim on April's affection.

But we digress...
Donnie doesn't objectify April when he says " My April " it's clear he doesn't feel he has control over her you guys are just misinterpreting it. And Donnie being Jealous of Casey is not objectification of April wanting someones affection is not objectifying them!!!!
Old 12-30-2014, 02:11 PM   #37
Ninturtle
Mad Scientist

you guys make it seem like April is Donnies slave and thats all he thinks of her
Old 12-30-2014, 02:16 PM   #38
Amaranthus
Banned

Quote:
you guys make it seem like April is Donnies slave and thats all he thinks of her
I thought the hardcore feminists only used Tumblr.
Guess I was wrong.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:18 PM   #39
plastroncafe

Quote:
Yes girls can play with action figures but boys are the majority of people who buy them.
And the toys aren't just marked for boys they market them for kids. The toys dont have a sticker that says boys only. it's just that young boys are the majority of people who buy them.
So what you're suggesting here is that boys buy more dolls than girls do?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-30-2014, 02:22 PM   #40
Ninturtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthus View Post
I thought the hardcore feminists only used Tumblr.
Guess I was wrong.
I was not expecting feminist on the technodrome forums either. It was a sad sight to behold.
Closed Thread

Tags
april, april o'neil, ciro nieli, it's action figures, nick, nickelodeon, not dolls waah!, tumblr complains