The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 08-07-2020, 07:36 PM   #1
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

I just finished watching "Out of the shadows"

It was on TV and I figured, what the hell.

So here are my findings.

First and foremost: IMPOSSIBLE TO TAKE THIS MOVIE SERIOUSLY!

If I take the 1990 movie as a comparison piece, it came out REALLY poor.
- The CGI was lousy.
- Apart from the scene where Mikey is traumatized by the hate in the eyes of the policemen when they call him "Monster" there was Very little of the grid and the darkness which a good TMNT story ought to have.
- What the hell was the thing about Spirit Animals which dictate what a person exposed to mutagen turns into?
- Err... Karai was defeated by VERN?
- When Rocksteady started firing the tank inside that plane and blew the cockpit off and Donnie managed to stabilize it with his BO-STAFF?
- Speaking of that plane sequence, when Rocksteady's tank fell backwards and tore the whole tail off and it kept on flying level, NO WAY!

And then there's the unresolved plots.
- Krang doing a Jabba the Hutt on Shredder was very anti climactic. Not to mention that after it happened, Shredder wasn't even mentioned anymore. No "The police is still searching for the convicted criminal Oroku Saki, better known as Shredder who remains at large." as if everybody knew that Krang had frozen him solid and put him away.
- Having mentioned Krang, couldn't they have put in more backstory before presenting him to the audience in the way this movie did? Both the original Mirage series and the 2012 series have worked with the plot of Utroms and TCRI being part of an ancient alien infiltration of planet Earth. It was a missed opportunity.
- Krang acted pretty much like 1987 series Krang but without Shredder acting like the 1987 Shredder, it just didn't work. And why did Shredder agree to work with Krang in such a gung-ho manner, no explanation given.

So any good points?
- The actions scenes were well done and fluid, they actually reminded me a lot of those in the "Rise" series. (Of course, I know that Rise came out two years later, so it's actually the other way round.) And having mentioned that...
- So too was the Shellraiser, that train wreck which were those big nunchucks and the banter between the Turtles as they took it into action, was very much with how it would be in "Rise"
- I liked this Baxter Stockman, he wasn't this bitter doormat that his 2003 counterpart was and he also wasn't the lovable loser his 2012 counterpart was. This Baxter Stockman came across quite similar to the IDW series counterpart, somebody who already achieved all what he set out to achieve, through hard work, determination and Questionable ethics. But his enthusiastic outbursts about the invasion and the scientific breakthroughs made him endearing. He wasn't this serious dweller.
- Bebop and Rocksteady. I loved their interaction, friends for life.

Well that's my opinion of this movie.

I'd give it a five out of ten.

Last edited by The Great Saiyaman; 08-07-2020 at 08:10 PM.
The Great Saiyaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:41 PM   #2
AquaParade
Banned

I forgot Karai is in this movie. Crazy.
Never seen it all.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:55 PM   #3
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I forgot Karai is in this movie. Crazy.
Never seen it all.

This Karai also was a different actress from the Karai from the 2014 movie. She was played by Brittany Ishibashi while in the other movie she was played by Minae Noji.

Old 08-07-2020, 08:07 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

God those noses are still as offensive now as they were back in 2014. I had a mental breakdown when I saw those nostrils for the first time, it's 6 years later and I have still yet to fully recover.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:09 PM   #5
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Honestly, someone should just make a video compilation of every Bebop and Rocksteady moment from Out of the Shadows.

Then there will be no need to watch the full movie ever again.
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:12 PM   #6
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Ironically I referred to rise as bayturtles the animated series at certain points
Old 08-07-2020, 08:20 PM   #7
neatoman
Emperor

I don't understand why anyone liked Bebop and Rocksteady, did the dick comparison scene, the spaghetti scene and belly jiggle scene turn people on sexually or something?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:29 PM   #8
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I don't understand why anyone liked Bebop and Rocksteady, did the dick comparison scene, the spaghetti scene and belly jiggle scene turn people on sexually or something?
Nah nothing sexual, their banter just reminded me of Jackass which is a series of which I always have been a fan.

But it DOES say a lot if I figure them to be the redeeming feature of this movie.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:33 PM   #9
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
They're just lovable dopes who are best friends, thats all.
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:00 PM   #10
Leo656
The Franchise

I think some people were just so in love with the idea of seeing Bebop and Rocksteady (and also Krang) finally done in live action, they were willing to forgive just about everything else and pretend it was awesome and triumphant even if it was anything but. I mean, so many people here even confess openly to it. "I don't care, I loved it because Bebop, Rocksteady and Krang were in it." I mean, if your standards are openly that low, obviously it's not gonna take much to entertain you, but I feel like most people want more than that.

The most heartbreaking thing of all, was being in the same room with other people when they would play those trailers... those horrible, insipid trailers... and so many people would triumphantly declare, "It's perfect! That's exactly what Ninja Turtles should be like!"

Eventually I had to start stashing the dead bodies in the neighbor's crawlspace after mine was full. But such ignorance cannot go unpunished.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:32 AM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Saiyaman View Post
- Err... Karai was defeated by VERN?
Karai was defeated by April in the 2007 movie. So there's some (dumb) precedent for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I think some people were just so in love with the idea of seeing Bebop and Rocksteady (and also Krang) finally done in live action, they were willing to forgive just about everything else and pretend it was awesome and triumphant even if it was anything but.
Hah, yes. Very much this. I still haven't even seen it.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 03:03 AM   #12
Leo656
The Franchise

Me neither. I barely got through the "Everything Wrong With" video without having an embolism. Suffice to say, it confirmed every single thing I assumed from the trailers and more. I don't need to watch the movie.

After the Transformers movie with Marky Mark, the Chickbusters fiasco, and the first episode of Rise, I don't let people talk me into "giving things a chance" anymore. My radar is never wrong when I feel the hate for something flow SO easily and SO strongly. I've been pleasantly surprised by plenty of things before, but NEVER when I watch a commercial for something and my very first thought is, "Wow, I really hope everyone involved in this project gets the Clap."

Life's too short to be pissed off by bad movies and TV shows. I know my tastes much better than anyone who'd try and convince me otherwise. And I think I'd rather try and shave the stray hairs off my dick with a belt sander than watch either of those f*cking BayTurtles movies even once.

If the trailers make me homicidal, the world can't handle what would happen if I actually watched those f*cking things. Movies shouldn't be allowed to BE that bad, god dammit.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 06:31 AM   #13
Galactus
Foot Elite

Personally I thought that the action was weak. The turtle truck scene was pretty decent if you can get over the goofiness although we'd seen most of it in the trailers.

All the other action set pieces were retreads of the 2014 movie just weaker and given that this is one of those turn your brain off and just enjoy the movie kind of deals lame action is unforgivable.

I actually appreciate that for some people it's a real Valentine to see their favourite cartoon characters and concepts in 'live action' for the first time although evidently not enough to get them to pay to see it in theatres or buy it on DVD. To be fair Bebop and Rocksteady are very well visualised and toilet humour aside they are characterised faithfully to their cartoon counterparts. Even the Technodrome was generally on point for the 2 seconds it was fully assembled. Talk about your weak action scenes the whole Technodrome being assembled slowly piece by piece is one of the stupidest ways to cover up that they didn't have the budget for a big invasion scene. Given that they didn't get a third movie it's strange to say but the movie would have been better if they'd eschewed the Dimension-X invasion and saved that for the third movie.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:37 AM   #14
Sumac
Banned

I kind of liked it, but it was definitely not what TMNT franchise needs at the moment.

Good things:
- action scenes;
- Bebop and Rocksteady;

Neutral:
- human supporting characters were not annoying;

Bad things:
- Turtles appearance;
- story is ****;
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 09:19 AM   #15
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Neutral:
- human supporting characters were not annoying
I don't know. Vern was annoying to me on the basis that his character was completely unnecessary so they they tacked on wacky scenes to justify his inclusion in the movie.

Also what they did to Casey Jones was unforgivable.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:33 AM   #16
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

Good
- It had at least something in there that resembles TMNT in any way (even if it was just blatant OT worship)
- The design of the 'turtles' was slightly better than it was in the previous movie (not by much though)

Bad
- Pretty much everything else
Old 08-08-2020, 11:54 AM   #17
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

The good things about this movie was Bebop, Rocksteady, and Krang. Shredder and Karai were the weakest elements as they were easily defeated.

While it was cool seeing Krang in this movie. The only issue I had was the voice they choose for him.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:58 AM   #18
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

OOTS made Casey into this whiny crybaby Detective who wasn't this tough bad ass with a hockey mask. Also Amell ruined Green Arrow and he ruined Casey Jones.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:04 PM   #19
Galactus
Foot Elite

Oh I'll give it a go

Good
- Better film score
- Bebop and Rocksteady at least look the part.
- The scene were they are in the lair as the portal opens and there is silence. It conveys the tension the four turtles feel very well.
- While I don't care for the turtles as allies to the police the actual scene were they convince them they are good guys is well done.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the above scenes are slower and they show the turtles moving much more naturally. The mo cap cgi looks much more convincing when they move like real people and not leaping around. Save that for the action scenes.

Neutral
- The turtle truck scene is well done. If it wasn't for those nunchuks I'd upgrade it to good.
- Laura Linney's character has potential.

Bad
- LITERALY EVERYTHING ELSE