The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Old 03-14-2024, 07:24 AM   #1
Diorm
Hench Mutant

Cowabunga Collection getting delisted in Japan

https://store.steampowered.com/news/...39668011449221

The game is being delisted in Japan on March 29 on Steam. If you guys were waiting to buy the game, I would suggest to do so, before you cant get it anymore in digital format or the price in retail skyrocket. I'm not saying the game is being delisted in the US... but it doesnt look good.

I would guess that it's Konami being an a$$, again. Wich is not surprising. There must be some problem with the license. I was even surprised this was being released in the first place.
Diorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 10:28 AM   #2
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diorm View Post
https://store.steampowered.com/news/...39668011449221

The game is being delisted in Japan on March 29 on Steam. If you guys were waiting to buy the game, I would suggest to do so, before you cant get it anymore in digital format or the price in retail skyrocket. I'm not saying the game is being delisted in the US... but it doesnt look good.

I would guess that it's Konami being an a$$, again. Wich is not surprising. There must be some problem with the license. I was even surprised this was being released in the first place.
It won't be delisted outside of Japan.
https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1...tD6L-cStuNZGvA

Old 03-14-2024, 11:17 AM   #3
Diorm
Hench Mutant

Thanks for the heads-up!
But yeah, I don't trust Konami. And it was a licensing problem, so... I'm just saying, don't rest on the collection for too long if you want it.
Old 03-14-2024, 11:21 AM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diorm View Post
I would guess that it's Konami being an a$$, again.
So Konami wants to stop paying money to list their 30 year old game collection somewhere where it isn't making any money and only costing them money. Those greedy bastards!

There's probably like 5 guys in all of Japan who give two f***s about old Konami TMNT games in 2024.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 11:51 AM   #5
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Meanwhile, most of the 2k12-era mobile games have quietly been de-listed this year and received no publicity.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 05:30 PM   #6
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
There's probably like 5 guys in all of Japan who give two f***s about old Konami TMNT games in 2024.
Definitely more than 5. I post a lot of Japan-only TMNT content on IG & it's actually pretty surprising & awesome how many Japanese TMNT fans come out of the woodwork & follow me or like the posts. & I mean hardcore fans, no less. Old & young alike. I'm sure they're still a minority, maybe not enough to justify the licensing fees, but yeah, I just wanted to make a point about the cult following there. It's smaller, but extreme! Many of these guys I've gotten connected with even make their own puppets, cosplay, etc. Cool to see.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 07:04 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Definitely more than 5. I post a lot of Japan-only TMNT content on IG & it's actually pretty surprising & awesome how many Japanese TMNT fans come out of the woodwork & follow me or like the posts. & I mean hardcore fans, no less. Old & young alike. I'm sure they're still a minority, maybe not enough to justify the licensing fees, but yeah, I just wanted to make a point about the cult following there. It's smaller, but extreme! Many of these guys I've gotten connected with even make their own puppets, cosplay, etc. Cool to see.
OK, I stand corrected. I've certainly never come across any. Or really heard of any.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 07:35 AM   #8
Diorm
Hench Mutant

We are more talking about game preservation here Andrew. That's why compagnies are doing that kind of collection or remaster old games to make them playable on modern pc or console. Sure there is emulation, paying too many $$$ to get an original version or other way around it, but making those old games easily available to anybody is the better way to go here.
Do we really care that they are wasting money by keeping those games available? Since when do we feel sorry for big AAA game compagnies?
Old 03-15-2024, 11:19 AM   #9
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Oh, yeah, TMNT was probably one of the few 80s/90s American cartoons/toylines to hit it big in the Japanese market, even if the franchise's surge probably came 4 years after its peak in the USA. I'd say TMNT and X-Men were top-tier of that era for the 90s. Japanese fan magazines were pushing Turtles and X-products right along side their home-turf IPs like Super Sentai, Godzilla, Nintendo, Bandai, etc.

Even the 4Kids cartoon had a good little run over there. I'm not sure about the 2010s-current stuff, but even then, you've still got a lot of Japanese kids who got into the franchise with the earlier stuff and still enjoy it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/220478...7613377852732/

https://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2010...-in-japan.html

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote