The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion > Collection Photos

Notices

Old 06-05-2019, 03:01 PM   #3621
OA
Scatter the nuns!!

I think this was an interesting auction but not indicative of the whole market by a long shot. Every one of these pieces had been previously sold, some a number of times. And with TMNT OA collecting being already a niche, I think there's only so many places these type pieces will end with. I'd say the #5 was the best bought of the bunch (Issue 8 savanti pieces just have never sold particularly well so no surprise there). The Gook cover is another interesting one. Since basically no one ever owned the book originally, there's no nostalgia pull. There's no Turtles connection in the art itself (unlike say Gook #1 with first appearance of Fugitoid). Yet surely it ended up with a super TMNT collector or dealer. As a whole, I don't think it was particularly good idea to list all of these at once if the goal was to maximize profit. I can say that the collector who had all these for sale took a complete bath on the sale...

And to piggy back on Adam, yes nearly all the Raph pages are great so I wouldn't worry about. It's funny how the day after a Raph page sells for nearly 6K at auction, Kev drops a pile of them on his site. One of those gets bought and resold in this auction and I'm sure the buyer was thinking "Well, if I can buy them for 4K on Eastman, and sell at auction for 6K..." But the auction ended around 4K so they basically got their money back.

It sure is a great time to be an OA collector. Lots of great material out there!
Old 06-05-2019, 06:22 PM   #3622
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Yeah, I shuddered a little when I saw all the pieces upcoming on clink, because I had my 5 page on Heritage, and I wondered if the market could sustain so many pages from the same era coming up at once. Although I wanted them all, I for sure could not afford to buy them all. I think the reason for all the low prices was the sheer amount on the market, forcing us small pocket individuals to pick and choose.
Makes me wonder what would happen if, say, all of Kevin or Peter's OA went to the market at once. Could the market sustain it?

Let me share a few new pickups I recently picked up for a pretty good deal myself.. four pages from one of my favorite Mirage issues (only scanned two so far):

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallery...?piece=1554296

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallery...?piece=1554298
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:14 PM   #3623
TMNTChris1980
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPliggins View Post
Yeah, I shuddered a little when I saw all the pieces upcoming on clink, because I had my 5 page on Heritage, and I wondered if the market could sustain so many pages from the same era coming up at once. Although I wanted them all, I for sure could not afford to buy them all. I think the reason for all the low prices was the sheer amount on the market, forcing us small pocket individuals to pick and choose.
Makes me wonder what would happen if, say, all of Kevin or Peter's OA went to the market at once. Could the market sustain it?

Let me share a few new pickups I recently picked up for a pretty good deal myself.. four pages from one of my favorite Mirage issues (only scanned two so far):

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallery...?piece=1554296

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallery...?piece=1554298
Great Lawson pages!

What Raph page went up recently? I didn't see it anywhere.

I agree that the sale prices were just a weird blip.

What really puzzles me is that 1st print issue 1 will go for for 2x the cost of a page, if not more. Maybe my thinking is wrong, but I think that OA is way more valuable (from my perspective). Issue 1 (first print) had a print run of 2,500 (I think Laird once said that he thinks it may be more). If you look at what issues E&L did (the art) together (with no one else doing art except letters) you only really have issues 3-9,and the one shots. I don't count 1 and 2 since those aren't on the market. So if you take issue 3-9 and the one shots, you only get ~360 pages. To me that seems like a way more scarce item especially since it's hand drawn, inked, and shaded by the creators. I've seen tons of first print issue 1's, and if I had the money, I could get one. The OA I've seen from the issues I've just listed seem very scarce. Usually someone owns them, and they're not getting rid of them. The ones that do come up, we've seen come up before. Does anyone know who owns the 1st page from issue 5 ? Too me, that page is preiceless, and who knows who owns it, and if it will ever come up for sale in their lifetime

Maybe I should have created a new thread, but that's my 2 cents.
TMNTChris1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:43 PM   #3624
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Don't quote me on this, but I think Eastman and Laird each kept the art to every other issue. Eastman got 1, 3, 5, etc. and Laird got 2, 4, 6, etc. Eastman has brought more of his early pages to the market than Laird at the moment. I've only seen one page from issue 4 on the market, and few from issue 2.
That 5 opening page you shared just might still be in Eastman's collection. I've never seen it on the market but it sure would be a sweet page to own.

As for the reason #1 1st printing is worth so much, the market is just much larger for the book. Even comic people who are not TMNT collectors want a TMNT 1. It's arguably the most important copper age comic book in the hobby. And the comic book market is steering largely towards keys lately. The soaring price of comic keys in general has been baffling me also lately.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:37 AM   #3625
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Interesting discussion, must admit not heard that about keeping the art to alternating issues, but I will say that I've seen, to back up Pliggins here, way more pages from issues #3 and #5 than I have #2, #4 and #6 over time. So it could well be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Palmer View Post
If you're part of the KE fanclub, you get a 10% discount on art. As KE lists his Raph pages at $5k each, that brings it to $4,500 per page.
Actually, I think it's 20% here as the Raphael pages are listed as $4k for me and I'm in the fanclub.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:55 PM   #3626
Redrumh2o
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Interesting discussion, must admit not heard that about keeping the art to alternating issues, but I will say that I've seen, to back up Pliggins here, way more pages from issues #3 and #5 than I have #2, #4 and #6 over time. So it could well be true.

Actually, I think it's 20% here as the Raphael pages are listed as $4k for me and I'm in the fanclub.
Yeah I got mine for 4k. I just got nervous when I saw a decent page from 5 go in the 2s. Again I am very happy with mine, I just hoped I didn't buy at a high as it took a loooong time for me to get there. On well. And your right, it does seem like the same few pages just swap hands, but when a new page comes out of a black hole and goes up for auction it seems to go much higher.

Last edited by Redrumh2o; 06-06-2019 at 03:03 PM.
Redrumh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:17 AM   #3627
eastlos217
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTChris1980 View Post
Great Lawson pages!

What Raph page went up recently? I didn't see it anywhere.

I agree that the sale prices were just a weird blip.

What really puzzles me is that 1st print issue 1 will go for for 2x the cost of a page, if not more. Maybe my thinking is wrong, but I think that OA is way more valuable (from my perspective). Issue 1 (first print) had a print run of 2,500 (I think Laird once said that he thinks it may be more). If you look at what issues E&L did (the art) together (with no one else doing art except letters) you only really have issues 3-9,and the one shots. I don't count 1 and 2 since those aren't on the market. So if you take issue 3-9 and the one shots, you only get ~360 pages. To me that seems like a way more scarce item especially since it's hand drawn, inked, and shaded by the creators. I've seen tons of first print issue 1's, and if I had the money, I could get one. The OA I've seen from the issues I've just listed seem very scarce. Usually someone owns them, and they're not getting rid of them. The ones that do come up, we've seen come up before. Does anyone know who owns the 1st page from issue 5 https://www.miragelicensing.com/comi...01/05/0501.gif? Too me, that page is preiceless, and who knows who owns it, and if it will ever come up for sale in their lifetime

Maybe I should have created a new thread, but that's my 2 cents.

thats an awesome piece man!! im also curious who has it. i would love to see it in all its glory!
eastlos217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:51 AM   #3628
OA
Scatter the nuns!!

Yes that is a classic shot! I've never seen it either. But would imagine like most of issue 5 it's out there... Somewhere
OA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:08 PM   #3629
Redrumh2o
Mad Scientist

This upcoming page on Heritage will be interesting to watch. It should show the true landscape, being such a nice page. I dont recall seeing it out in the wild before.....anyone?
Redrumh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:14 PM   #3630
OA
Scatter the nuns!!

It was mines! Sold it a while back
OA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:17 AM   #3631
eastlos217
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrumh2o View Post
This upcoming page on Heritage will be interesting to watch. It should show the true landscape, being such a nice page. I dont recall seeing it out in the wild before.....anyone?
which one??? link??
eastlos217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:00 PM   #3632
TMNTChris1980
Stone Warrior

Hey everyone!

I went to Boston Comic Con yesterday and met Mostafa Moussa (artist who did V2 of Tales issue 54). He was a really nice guy, I got a sketch from him, and surprisingly he still had a few pages from the issue he worked on. I bought one of them and should be posting soon.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:13 PM   #3633
TMNTChris1980
Stone Warrior

Some of the stuff I got from Boston Comic Con.

TMNT (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) sketch by Mostafa Moussa
Spoiler:

Tales of the TMNT - Volume 2 - Issue 54 - Page 23
Spoiler:

The funniest sketch I ever received was from Todd McFarlane. I was happy to just get anything in my convention sketch book from him, but when he wrote this I laughed my ass off.

Invisible Girl sketch by Todd McFarlane
Spoiler:
Old 09-04-2019, 11:35 PM   #3634
cartoonistaaron
Stone Warrior

You guys have so much cool stuff. Here are a couple of my recent acquisitions. Some of you might have seen this stuff on Facebook or Reddit since I spam my cool stuff everywhere. The first one doesn't really count since I drew it myself, but I got the '87 cartoon cast to sign it at a performance they did at a comedy club recently!

The other piece is the original artwork to the first TMNT coloring book, How It All Began, by the late Fernando Fernandez!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg coloring book original art 01.jpg (8.8 KB, 3 views)
cartoonistaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:03 AM   #3635
TMNTChris1980
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartoonistaaron View Post
You guys have so much cool stuff. Here are a couple of my recent acquisitions. Some of you might have seen this stuff on Facebook or Reddit since I spam my cool stuff everywhere. The first one doesn't really count since I drew it myself, but I got the '87 cartoon cast to sign it at a performance they did at a comedy club recently!

The other piece is the original artwork to the first TMNT coloring book, How It All Began, by the late Fernando Fernandez!

Dude, that Fernandez piece is great! Congrats! great grab.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:49 PM   #3636
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

I loved those coloring book covers. I wonder where the others are? That one is great, congrats on a beautiful pickup. That signature piece is really too cool. Awesome stuff.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:18 PM   #3637
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartoonistaaron View Post
That's an INCREDIBLE piece of merch art. Congrats on the score!
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:05 PM   #3638
Btown
Hench Mutant

Eric Talbot just sent me this of a commission I had him do for me. Love how it turned out.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:38 AM   #3639
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Talbot Slash is something you don't forget once you see it!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:56 AM   #3640
Btown
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Talbot Slash is something you don't forget once you see it!
Agreed. When I told him that I was wanting a Slash he was excited to do it and said it would be fun to draw him. I’m really happy with how it came out.