The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-20-2016, 08:30 PM   #21
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

I'll probably watch this if it's like the new movies.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:52 PM   #22
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

The show is now titled "Star Trek Discovery". New teaser trailer here: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/scifi_...rek-tv-a143796

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:41 PM   #23
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
The show is now titled "Star Trek Discovery". New teaser trailer here: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/scifi_...rek-tv-a143796
That felt epic, but that's not a very good ship design. Far too angular.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:48 PM   #24
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
That felt epic, but that's not a very good ship design. Far too angular.
Yeah. The nacell placement is totally odd. I guess I can get used to that. Gonna be interesting tho who they cast as the crew.

Apparantly this was a rejected design for the Enterprise.... I can see why.

Last edited by Raph's Girl; 07-23-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Raph's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:12 PM   #25
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raph's Girl View Post
Yeah. The nacell placement is totally odd. I guess I can get used to that. Gonna be interesting tho who they cast as the crew.

Apparantly this was a rejected design for the Enterprise.... I can see why.
Agreed. Eew.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:05 PM   #26
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Hope the scripts are up to par. That ship design looks like somebody sat on the NX-01.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:35 AM   #27
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

They've said it's in the "real" timeline... but what they aren't telling people is that the only reason it is, is because it's set pre-Kelvin incident but post-Enterprise. Likely it's in the aftermath of the Romulan Wars that broke out a few years after Enterprise ended.

How boring. 3 prequels in a row? Forward, damn you. Forward, not back.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:01 AM   #28
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
They've said it's in the "real" timeline... but what they aren't telling people is that the only reason it is, is because it's set pre-Kelvin incident but post-Enterprise. Likely it's in the aftermath of the Romulan Wars that broke out a few years after Enterprise ended.

How boring. 3 prequels in a row? Forward, damn you. Forward, not back.
Let me remind everyone about three kickass audio Trek series. I may or may not have written for both production teams.

http://darkerprojects.com/section31/
http://darkerprojects.com/lostfrontier/
http://starshipexcelsior.com/
Old 08-10-2016, 07:26 PM   #29
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

New info on Star Trek Discovery. It's set 10 years before TOS and the main character will be a female Lt. Commander.

Quote:
According to Fuller, the show will be set 10 years before “Star Trek: The Original Series.” Due to its proximity to “TOS,” “Discovery’s” look, design, and ships will closely resemble Captain Kirk’s. Putting “Discovery” in this timeline will also bridge the gap between “Star Trek Enterprise” and “TOS,” something the series has never explored before.

During the panel Fuller was also asked a variety of questions, including if the Romulan war will be the main conflict in the series, if the show will remain diverse, and if Amanda Grayson — Spock’s mother from “Star Trek” 2009 as played by Winona Ryder — will have a role.

Fuller denied the Romulan conflict saying that will not be the focus of the show. He said that there will be more aliens on the ship and that the Discovery will reflect the diversity Trek fans have come to expect. He also said that while Grayson is not officially confirmed for the show, she could show up at any time since he is a big fan of her character.
So basically expect to see Teen Spock and Teen Kirk.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.co...iginal-series/
Old 08-10-2016, 07:30 PM   #30
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
New info on Star Trek Discovery. It's set 10 years before TOS and the main character will be a female Lt. Commander.

So basically expect to see Teen Spock and Teen Kirk.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.co...iginal-series/
Eh. Resounding apathy.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:50 PM   #31
CyberCubed
Overlord

Another female Captain? Why do I get the feeling this is pandering to Star Wars with Rey being the new lead and then the girl in the new Rogue One movie?

Seems everything has a female lead these days. On another note did Janeway remind anyone else of Hilary Clinton?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:57 PM   #32
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Another female Captain? Why do I get the feeling this is pandering to Star Wars with Rey being the new lead and then the girl in the new Rogue One movie?
No. Not a female Captain. It's a female Lt. Commander. She is NOT the Captain.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:58 PM   #33
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post

Seems everything has a female lead these days. On another note did Janeway remind anyone else of Hilary Clinton?
Janeway didn't remind me of anyone. I found her boring.

Kira Nerys was a much more impressive command figure.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:07 AM   #34
ZariusTwo
Overlord

So after a decade long wait for new telly Trek, it's just more of the prequel malarkey that fans only took to in the dying days of Enterprise?

Are they allergic to present day follow ups or something? I don't think there's been anything set in the modern timeline since that "Countdown" prequel to the 2009 Trek movie which explained where Nero came from.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:48 AM   #35
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Seems reminiscent of the original pilot for TOS and its character "Number One," the ship's first officer who would have been played by Majel Barrett.

Quote:
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:22 AM   #36
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
So after a decade long wait for new telly Trek, it's just more of the prequel malarkey that fans only took to in the dying days of Enterprise?

Are they allergic to present day follow ups or something? I don't think there's been anything set in the modern timeline since that "Countdown" prequel to the 2009 Trek movie which explained where Nero came from.
Exactly. Prequels are so very hard to pull off... almost none of them are ever critically well received.

So much open space and time, but no, ten years before "The Corbomite Manuever" or whatever. Such a waste.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:43 AM   #37
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

"It's a prequel to TOS but after Enterprise, so it's technically in the Prime Timeline but it's before the Kelvin Incident so we won't piss off Abrams or his fans," is basically what they're saying.

Still, I don't think we're quite getting the big picture here. The trailer promised "new crews," plural, and there was earlier a lot of talk about exploring different eras each season.

Maybe at the end of season 1, the USS Discovery does something amazing, some heroic sacrifice that's forever remembered in the annals of Starfleet. Then, a young captain takes command of the USS Discovery NCC-1031-A in the days after the Khitomer Accords in Season 2. Then, Season 3, the USS Discovery NCC-1031-F launches in the 25th century. Or maybe the Discovery just does something incredible that establishes a theme to each season in different eras. Or something.

Or maybe the USS Discovery time-travels and becomes marooned in the post-TNG future.

Or maybe CBS is just plain too chickensh*t to do anything post-Abrams.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:56 PM   #38
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Cylons I'm shocked and dismayed. Voyager your least favorite? SKIP IT?! You blasphemer!! Janeway and her crew were among tbe most interesting and well-developed characters, and had the added bonus of being COMPLETELY independant of the Federation since they were stuck flying blind in the Gamma Quadrant. And we got to see Q ask her to have his baby- certainly one of MY most memorable Trek moments, LOL!!

As an aside, no Cy, you're not the only Trekkie here. But I'd just as soon only watch the first couple of seasons of DS9. I got kind of bored with tbe political undertones it constantly threw at us.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:02 PM   #39
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

With all this prequel discussion, do you think AbramsTrek should be retconned with this series? Why or why not?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-11-2016, 05:05 PM   #40
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
With all this prequel discussion, do you think AbramsTrek should be retconned with this series? Why or why not?
I'm OK with it just left dangling as this timeline branch off the main one, but a very big part of me would love seeing, like, the 29th century Starfleet temporal division sorting out Nero upon his arrival into the 23rd century and restoring everything.

The mentioning that Star Trek 4 would have Kirk teaming up with his dad suggests that might even be what they're going to do, but differently. End the Abramsverse with NuKirk sacrificing himself to save his dad and stop Nero right on the Narada's arrival. That, I could get behind. We'd get a definitive beginning, middle, and end of the Abramsverse as well as some purpose to NuKirk. Though with Beyond looking to make less than half of Into Darkness' box office... it might not even happen.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 08-11-2016 at 05:11 PM.