The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-26-2019, 02:04 PM   #81
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
No. And again, SPIDER-VERSE DOES. NOT. COUNT. it has Nothing to do with Holland. It only proves that Sony should leave the live action Spider-Man to Marvel and just do animated films instead.
I tend to agree that Into the Spider-Verse doesn't count towards Sony's track record. At least, not in any way that matters for live-action Spidey movies going forward.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:14 PM   #82
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
People feel cartoons don’t count because it’s just animation and voice acting.
That makes me wonder what people think producers actually do. They don't need to have expertise in the actual creative craft. Their job is to help manage the project, and find the right people for the job, and hopefully stay out of the way at that point.

It's not the same as recruiting a football player for a basketball team, or asking a professional cook to fix your electricity. That is the type of thing people tend to equate it to.

Amy Pascal has been one of the producers on all these Spider-Man films, and they are all to varying degrees of quality. It wasn't a case of her having no experience producing an animated film and coming in and burning the house down, with lack of experience on Into the Spider-Verse. No, it stands to reason that she took her live action Spider-Man experience and applied it here, to great success. It wasn't like she had to play a whole new ball game.

Last edited by AquaParade; 08-26-2019 at 02:20 PM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:19 PM   #83
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I've directed live action movies before. There are a million different turning wheels with live action and it's not remotely the same thing and one has to only think about it for a few seconds to imagine (probably mostly correctly) the reasons why that would be.

That they were able to successfully have an OK script animated by 200 Chinese underpaid modelers overseas tells us less than nothing about Sony's predilection toward meddling with the live action movies to their deficits.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:21 PM   #84
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I've directed live action movies before. There are a million different turning wheels with live action and it's not remotely the same thing and one has to only think about it for a few seconds to imagine (probably mostly correctly) the reasons why that would be.

That they were able to successfully have an OK script animated by 200 Chinese underpaid modelers overseas tells us less than nothing about Sony's predilection toward meddling with the live action movies to their deficits.
Being a director isn't the same as being a producer.

The script was handled by the creatives - Miller, Lord, their underling team of directors, etc. Amy Pascal did the same job she did on other Spider-Man films - find and hire the right talent (Lord, Miller, team) for the job.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:40 PM   #85
sdp
-

All of these are just talks and pressure to see who gives in first to the deal or calls the bluff. At the end of the day Sony will see how much more profit it got from the "failure" of ASM movies or the "success" of MCU Spidey, if it got a lot more money from MCU spidey and it'll get more money despite having a bad deal they'll fold, if they see they can make more money making bad spider-man movies then they won't care.

Does Disney have the rights for a Spider-Man live action show? if it does and they really wanted to just stick it to Sony they could do a Disney+ show with Tom Holland, but that would be expensive and done only to spite Sony. More likely we'll just see a "not in continuity" but basically in continuity version of spider-man not controlled by Disneya nd I think it could actually be good. Spider-Man and X-Men have enough characters and lore to make a universe all on their own.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:46 PM   #86
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Does Disney have the rights for a Spider-Man live action show?
Mmm... I doubt it. I think as long as Sony holds the movie rights, nobody can make any live-action TV shows unless Disney gives the thumbs up. I think?

I say that mostly because you just know Disney would have by now, if they could.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:49 AM   #87
AquaParade
Banned

Any type of makeshift workaround to keep some form of Tom Holland Spider-Man in the MCU, without a new MCU contract, will not work.

I've seen it as both a joke and a serious suggestion, but there won't be any Night Monkey, witness protection Peter, or TV series continuing where they left off, despite the deal falling through.

Yes, sometimes you can troubleshoot a contract but this is too big and you can bet they considered these possibilities before signing a deal. Any sneaky attempt that Marvel could make to keep the character in their world would quickly be shot down by one contract stipulation or another. It would be dirty.

It sure is nice to dream though. I might even prefer a Disney+ Spider-Man live action series, over another film, if a new deal does get worked out. It would be more content and a different type of pacing to play with. The budget seems to be there.

Last edited by AquaParade; 08-27-2019 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:03 PM   #88
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

With SpiderMan leaving the MCU. That also means that Spider-Man can't have the Tony Stark suit that he made for him. The one with all the tech inside it. So for Sony's Spider-Man. They will have to undo that and create a new suit that doesn't have any of the tech in it.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:25 PM   #89
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
With SpiderMan leaving the MCU. That also means that Spider-Man can't have the Tony Stark suit that he made for him. The one with all the tech inside it. So for Sony's Spider-Man. They will have to undo that and create a new suit that doesn't have any of the tech in it.
Eh, I think they could get away with him using the Stark Spider-Suit as long as he never namedrops Tony and we don't see any Stark logos.

I kind of wish they'd get away from that suit altogether, though, personally.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:41 PM   #90
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Which is a good thing, Spiderman can stand on his own like he always did instead of being Iron Man Jr. Again, why do people think the lack of Tony Stark stuff going forward is a bad thing? It made sense for these first two movies because we were just starting off, but Spiderman has his entire own universe.

You know eventually they're going to re-tread the boring Green Goblin story for the third time, eventually re-do Doctor Octopus in this new continuity, and continue bringing in new villains. We don't need any more Avenger stuff here.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:55 PM   #91
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Which is a good thing, Spiderman can stand on his own like he always did instead of being Iron Man Jr. Again, why do people think the lack of Tony Stark stuff going forward is a bad thing? It made sense for these first two movies because we were just starting off, but Spiderman has his entire own universe.

You know eventually they're going to re-tread the boring Green Goblin story for the third time, eventually re-do Doctor Octopus in this new continuity, and continue bringing in new villains. We don't need any more Avenger stuff here.
I care more about what Marvel having Spider-Man does for everything else than just seeing Spider-Man show up in other MCU movies, or MCU characters showing up in his.

i.e., Oscorp and Norman Osborne as a MCU threat.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:22 PM   #92
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Marvel Studios were the ones that put a halt to Holland's cameo in Venom. It had already been filmed but they ordered it be cut out

https://www.newsarama.com/38194-tom-...ie-report.html
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:23 PM   #93
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Marvel Studios were the ones that put a halt to Holland's cameo in Venom. It had already been filmed but they ordered it be cut out

https://www.newsarama.com/38194-tom-...ie-report.html
Makes sense. I remember reading he was spotted on set.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:26 PM   #94
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Makes sense. I remember reading he was spotted on set.
I wonder if Andy Serkis will retool the Venom sequel to bring in Spiderman, or if they'll produce on the course they were already on.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:33 PM   #95
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I wonder if Andy Serkis will retool the Venom sequel to bring in Spiderman, or if they'll produce on the course they were already on.
My first instinct is to think that they probably don't know at this point. That a possible negotiation is still on their mind, if not happening as we speak.

But I thought it was interesting that Tom Holland went on to say that he had teamed up with some of the "creatives" and pitched Spider-Man 3 already. I have to imagine that is just some form of him trying to keep the boat steady, but it was deliberate.
Did they truly decide that quickly how they want to proceed without Marvel?? Is it a negotiation tactic planted by Sony? Was this path decided on long ago? A lot of questions.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:36 PM   #96
sdp
-

Maybe we can get that deleted scene from venom with Holland back and finally see it.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:58 AM   #97
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

What point would it even serve? We’ve already seen that this iteration of Venom’s origin has zero connection to Spider-Man, and I can’t even see any reason for Eddie Brock to have a grudge against Peter Parker.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:08 PM   #98
AquaParade
Banned

I wonder if others are excited for a Tom Holland - Spider-Man & Tom Hardy - Venom team-up, because the idea doesn't interest me in the slightest. Even more so, when it already feels like more of a marketing stunt than at all story-driven.

I love both actors and both characters, but it doesn't feel like the right direction to take Spider-Man. Feels more like a stunt.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:48 PM   #99
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
What point would it even serve? We’ve already seen that this iteration of Venom’s origin has zero connection to Spider-Man, and I can’t even see any reason for Eddie Brock to have a grudge against Peter Parker.
Sony will figure it out like...mmm...Peter somehow somewhere flirted with Eddie's girlfriend, which led to DEEP psychological trauma in Eddie.

There I got it.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:55 PM   #100
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Sony will figure it out like...mmm...Peter somehow somewhere flirted with Eddie's girlfriend, which led to DEEP psychological trauma in Eddie.

There I got it.
Dude. Show some creativity, make a little effort. I can double the impact by just changing ONE word of your idea. Behold!

Peter somehow somewhere flirted with Eddie's boyfriend, which led to DEEP psychological trauma in Eddie.

There. You hetero cis-male Russian, you.