The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 05-08-2021, 02:56 PM   #1
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Does anyone else miss 1990's/Y2K culture?

Since I was born in the late 1990's, I missed a good chunk of the cultural boom.

For those who have experienced it, do you miss it?

Last edited by Papenbrook; 05-08-2021 at 05:47 PM.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 03:51 PM   #2
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist

Nah, not really.

Final Boss of translation group Opentrain.
We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff.
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/
Cryomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 04:18 PM   #3
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Yes, I do miss it. Western culture is rapidly getting worse and worse by the year, whether it be artistically, morally, spiritually, financially etc.

Not too many years from now, the vast majority of us who live in the West will look on back on today with envy as the Civilization will collapse all around us. The worst is yet to come.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 05-08-2021 at 04:25 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 04:40 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Not too many years from now, the vast majority of us who live in the West will look on back on today with envy as the Civilization will collapse all around us. The worst is yet to come.
We don't all live in a third world country though, most of us will be fine.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 04:43 PM   #5
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
We don't all live in a third world country though, most of us will be fine.
You have absolutely no idea where the West is heading, or you don't care. Keep consuming media.
Old 05-08-2021, 04:58 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
You have absolutely no idea where the West is heading, or you don't care. Keep consuming media.
Are you a conspiracy theorist now? I remember hearing this when I was a kid in the 80's/90's, and aside from the new technology we didn't have back then, everything is the same. And better for minorities, gay's, etc.

We'll be the same in the year 2030 as we are now, remember that's only 9 years from now. The dream of flying cars is over.
Old 05-08-2021, 05:14 PM   #7
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Yes, I do miss it. Western culture is rapidly getting worse and worse by the year, whether it be artistically, morally, spiritually, financially etc.

On this we agree... America falls, so does the world.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 05:14 PM   #8
neatoman
Emperor

Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 12:00 AM   #9
Powder
So tired of this place

As for the early 2000's, I don't miss anything except perhaps the simplicity of the era, our reliance on tech was nothing compared to what it is now, & social media was merely a gleam in the eye of its fathers. But pop culture wise, it was pretty crummy. I see a lot of zoomers, tiktok kids, trying to do this whole y2k renaissance thing, & it's pretty cringey to me. They don't get why certain things were or were not cool, so they just mix-&-match, appropriating all this stuff they don't understand, much of which was lame even then. Like trying to make the fashion come back, but they're using Disney shows & random advertisements as the reference point, when really a lot of what you saw in films/TV was picked out by out of touch boomers that had costume design jobs. Doesn't really reflect what teens actually liked at the time. This must be how our parents felt watching kids glorify hippie or punk fashion decades later. At the end of the day, it's pretty harmless, but as someone who lived through it, we knew even then that a lot of it was weird, trashy, corny, etc.

I definitely miss the 90's, though. I think we had reached peak "fun" back then. Everything was extra AF, super colorful, crazy, edgy, hilarious, gross, loud, it was a punch in the face to all five senses. Growing up in that kind of period definitely shaped its youth in a unique way. Things now are so sterile & safe. & we were sorta the last of the "actually plays outside using imagination" kids.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:19 AM   #10
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Eh, you didn't miss much. There really isn't much about the 90s I particularly miss. But it encompassed my teen years, so there isn't often much to want back from that era anyhow. lol

Only things off the top of my head that you missed out on really... the first TMNT films of course, having a big, chunky early cell phone (got one of those suckers as a graduation gift) only capable of actually making calls and nothing else, early dial up internet and super basic websites, and that wide leg pants/jeans fad that got to the point that some boys looked like they were wearing frigging skirts. Yeah, never found that style attractive.

edit: Oh, and the era of the early 90s were having a pager was the big thing, even in my middle school. Most of us never had one, only the kids who thought they were cool, but having to go find a phone if someone pages you (as only landline phones existed) really doesn't ever become all that cool. (I think a lot of the appeal started from drug culture, unfortunately, and my middle school was a bit rough... Doubt those kids were dealers, but some of them probably weren't too far removed from those circles, sad to say.)

The early 2000s were fine and nothing all that memorable imo other than the crappy parts that ended up in history books.

Quote:
What exactly is not some kind of media source where you are getting your own assumptions or special secret info then?

It literally all boils down to 1) some kind of media for better or worse, 2) blind faith in words written by people who would never live in and experience our era, or 3) some people sitting there and assuming they "just know" things based on gut feelings and no facts... edit: or 4) believing people who are only doing one or more of the previous things and telling others that it's true.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 05-09-2021 at 11:37 AM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:45 AM   #11
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I definitely don't miss the 00's, it started as just rehash of the 90s but quickly and i'm guessing because of 9/11 we now lived in this "gritty/realistic" world, the fun of the 90s died and while it was fine for me since i was an angsty teenager and my angsty attitude towards life actually reflected the decade, so the grim tone of the early 00's was fine for my age but I definitely think it would've been more fun to be a teenager in the 90s (though it was better being a kid in the 90s than a teenager so I lucked out)

I also think the 90s reached its peak by the end of the decade, things could only get so exxxtreeeme. I'm fine with decades changing and I enjoy 90s influences in modern stuff, so yeah I miss it and love it but I don't cling to it in a way that I feel kids/teenagers from the 80s still glorify the decade. "Yes, grandpa we know the 80s were awesome". You can enjoy a decade but not be stuck in it is what I mean which is what most people do.

The 2010's were definitely awful though with casuals now using technology in mass, "geek culture" becoming mainstream and people who get offended over everything. But I think people are tired of the polarization and gotten used to social media so I think the 20's will be a better decade. I personally welcome the "Worst is yet to come" that FWL dreads.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 12:36 PM   #12
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
(I What exactly is not some kind of media source where you are getting your own assumptions or special secret info then?
There is a difference between critically analysing the mainstream narrative infront of you and mindlessly consuming media at 1.5 speed like a lab rat.

And this info is not "special" or "super secret", Indigo. The globalist authorities are not trying to hide their agenda anymore, and it's obvious to practically anyone.

I'll give you a few examples anyway of how our society is practically shooting itself in the foot, and they are as follows:

1. The very foundation and building block of society, marriage, has been destroyed and ripped apart. Marriage has always been the historical institution aimed at providing a firm foundation for the reproduction and maintenance of the next generation under the stable care of a mother and a father. Now, the birthrates in the West have gotten so critically low because marriage no longer means anything (people can give birth out of wedlock and engage in filthy homosexual relations with no consequence). This leads to an extreme shortage of young workers to run a country due to an aging population, and many Western countries have attempted to solve this with immigration, which is problematic for the reason below:

2. Immigration leads to a clash of cultures that results from so many different groups of people trying to mix together as one piece. So many cultures across the world have spent thousands of years to develop and stabilise into stable societies, but with the advent of air travel and mass immigration, all of that begins to fall apart. The result is that there is less uniformity in culture, and this decreases the level of community engagement since people's ways of lives are so different and many refuse to get too deeply involved with each other in the name of "respecting cultural differences". What does this lack of trust and social cohesion lead to? Widespread drug addictions, extreme isolation despite all of "social" media, and a longing for a proper community bond. If you've ever felt alone in today's day and age Indigo, you're not alone. The West is going against our human nature by denying us a uniform community experience, instead adopting individualism as its core principle. This rampant individualism leads to another big problem causing the West's decline:

3. Mass surveillance and regulation. When the traditional family unit in society cannot regulate itself in order to maintain stability and order (as has been the case under individualistic societies of the West), governments across the West are forced to adopt more and more laws in order to keep order. The result? The average man trying to make a modest living from his small business suffers greatly, while large corporations and the global elite benefit from the excessive regulation, since they are the only ones who can keep up with it in the first place. Look at companies like Disney, Facebook and Apple. These are not even companies, they are monopolies with real political power who charade as private entities. These large institutions have so much power, that within the span of a less than hundred years, they have managed to change social norms that have been firmly in place for thousands of years for the worse, all the while exercising their power throughout the world in the most abhorrent ways possible as seen in these companies employing slave labour throughout the world and causing mass destruction of the natural environment.

That's just a few examples, but I hope you get the idea. To make it clear, I don't think that the early 2000s was this golden age, but rather, it was a mere raindrop compared to the ocean of social decline that we are currently living in, and will continue to live in for the near future.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 05-09-2021 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-09-2021, 12:55 PM   #13
frank_one
Mad Scientist

I hate to say it but I think everything FredWolfLeonardo has said is true.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 01:04 PM   #14
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
1. The very foundation and building block of society, marriage, has been destroyed and ripped apart. Marriage has always been the historical institution aimed at providing a firm foundation for the reproduction and maintenance of the next generation under the stable care of a mother and a father.
Most people don't even need to get married either way, and plenty of kids have been raised with single parents without either a mother or father since the beginning of time. I know you're a religious person raised in the old traditional values of your forefathers from ancient times, but plenty of people live together these days without getting married. It's not a big deal.

Quote:
Now, the birthrates in the West have gotten so critically low because marriage no longer means anything (people can give birth out of wedlock and engage in filthy homosexual relations with no consequence).

Do they stone homosexuals in your country?

Either way pretty sure the population of the world as a whole is the largest its ever been.
Old 05-09-2021, 01:06 PM   #15
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Most people don't even need to get married either way, and plenty of kids have been raised with single parents without either a mother or father since the beginning of time. I know you're a religious person raised in the old traditional values of your forefathers from ancient times, but plenty of people live together these days without getting married. It's not a big deal.

Do they stone homosexuals in your country?

Either way pretty sure the population of the world as a whole is the largest its ever been.
How are you going to ensure that we have enough people and young workers in the next generation? What's your solution to the aging population crisis?
Old 05-09-2021, 01:09 PM   #16
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
How are you going to ensure that we have enough people and young workers in the next generation? What's your solution to the aging population crisis?
There's more people born now than any time in history. Prior to 1950 most young people would die of war or disease, and then that was reduced from the 60's till now (although of course it still happens). The worlds population is 7.9 billion.

The rise of either gay couples or straight couples who don't want to have kids is fine, the world is bloated enough as it is.
Old 05-09-2021, 01:11 PM   #17
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
There's more people born now than any time in history. Prior to 1950 most young people would die of war or disease, and then that was reduced from the 60's till now (although of course it still happens). The worlds population is 7.9 billion.

The rise of either gay couples or straight couples who don't want to have kids is fine, the world is bloated enough as it is.
Answer the question. Due to low birth rates, there are more older people than ever who cant work and help work towards maintaining society, and less young people who can. What is your solution to this imbalance?
Old 05-09-2021, 01:13 PM   #18
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Answer the question. Due to low birth rates, there are more older people than ever who cant work and help work towards maintaining society, and less young people who can. What is your solution to this imbalance?
Birth rates aren't much lower because more people exist now than 50+ years ago, so even if some couples are not having kids, others are. I find it odd you think there's no young people in the world?

Look up the amount of kids born from the year 2010 till now.
Old 05-09-2021, 01:17 PM   #19
Leo656
The Franchise

There's nothing wrong with gay people*, man. C'mon.

*Or at least lesbians.

I don't trust anyone who doesn't like lesbians.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 01:20 PM   #20
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Birth rates aren't much lower because more people exist now than 50+ years ago
That's not how birthrates work, at all. Birthrates are measured by how many children are born per woman, and that has been decreasing.

The population increases in the past few decades have not been due to increased birthrates, they are due to decreased death rates.

Quote:
so even if some couples are not having kids, others are. I find it odd you think there's no young people in the world?

Look up the amount of kids born from the year 2010 till now.
I didn't say anywhere that there are no young people. I'm saying that the ratio of old people to young people is severely imbalanced in the West.

My question to you is, what is your solution to this problem of an aging population to increase the ratio of productive young people? So far you haven't offered any.