The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 08-30-2021, 11:16 AM   #21
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
I remember somebody once pointed out that they probably gave April that back-story so her relationship with Donatello wouldn't seem so creepy.

CIRO: "I want to do this thing where Donatello has a crush on April and over the course of the series..."
NICKELODEON: "We can't have the Turtles macking on humans, but it's totally okay for them to mack on aliens/mutant who just happen to look human."
April O'Neil's origins were still unknown when Donatello first had his crush on her.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:32 AM   #22
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
April O'Neil's origins were still unknown when Donatello first had his crush on her.
True, but then again it's kind of similar to how on Smallville Lana and Lois aren't aware of Clark Kent's alien origin when he starts dating one of them.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:50 AM   #23
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
The "random" mutants do count because most episodes featuring them imply their reign of terror isn't over, what would be the point of those cliffhangers if there was no intention of bringing them back?
I don't think anyone cares that Spiderbitez is still out there, for all we know he reformed since he was just a regular joe before being mutated. For the most part though, most of the random mutants were either good guys or defeated/killed off in some way otherwise.

Quote:
And a lot the "conclusions" are only really "conclusions" in a technical sense. Yes, "technically" the Triceraton story is "concluded" when the BGH is destroyed because they can't obliterate Earth and that was the mission. But the reason they wanted to destroy earth in the first place, the fact that the Kraang wanted to take it over, is that not an issue still? We know from the Mad Max arc that they do come back and actually accomplish their goal. And what about Zeno? Is he just irrelevant because we don't see him? Isn't it possible that they could regroup and still be a threat?
The Triceratons are all dead, their ships were destroyed. The Kraang Prime were defeated, and the Utroms are peaceful. Whatever happens in the future arc is irrelevant, that was a puzzle box done on purpose just to set up the apocalyptic future.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 12:03 PM   #24
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I don't think anyone cares that Spiderbitez is still out there, for all we know he reformed since he was just a regular joe before being mutated. For the most part though, most of the random mutants were either good guys or defeated/killed off in some way otherwise.

The Triceratons are all dead, their ships were destroyed. The Kraang Prime were defeated, and the Utroms are peaceful. Whatever happens in the future arc is irrelevant, that was a puzzle box done on purpose just to set up the apocalyptic future.
I'm inclined to agree, whenever loose ends or plots being left are brought upon here it usually comes down to Timothy and April's mom, these other things are still more minor, barring apocalypse. The Kraang of course were a big thing and apocalypse left many questions but that was set 50 years later and outside the main show. (now sat trying to remember the end of kraang in the main part of the series). I guess it was supposed to be 'you thought the Kraang were defeated!' I don't know, I don't really revisit that arc. I did wonder if we were to see Fugitoid again but maybe that scene was just to show us he wasn't dead and nothing more.

Last edited by newfan; 08-30-2021 at 01:31 PM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:26 PM   #25
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
This, coupled with Karai's mutation, kind of leads me to a very awkward conclusion. The writing staff didn't think girls would be interesting if there wasn't something "special" about them.
Basically.

And while there are other reasons, dumb "no-reason" stuff like this is a huge reason why that show won't ever be as "definitive" or "awesome" of a take on TMNT as a lot of people insist. Too much of that show was just "New and Different for New and Different's Sake" and too many of their nonsense creative choices just don't justify themselves well at all.

Any version where April is anything but "The Turtles' first Normal Person Friend" just doesn't wash with me. It's one thing later on if they wanna have her do a little martial arts training, but if she's part-alien or "magic drawing" or whatever then I'm out. None of that junk is necessary.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:18 AM   #26
Coola Yagami
Overlord

It didn't even make sense from a toy perspective. Like mutant Karai could make for a new toy, but mind powers April... I'm pretty sure she got a full fledged ninja outfit just to sell another toy.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 05:13 AM   #27
Overlord

Dimension X April O'Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
It didn't even make sense from a toy perspective. Like mutant Karai could make for a new toy, but mind powers April... I'm pretty sure she got a full fledged ninja outfit just to sell another toy.
Dimension X April O'Neil was released as an action figure in early 2016, when the first half of Season 4 was still hot. But you're right, psychic abilities make no sense when it comes to selling action figures.

http://www.tmnttoys.com/16figures/series16/90631.html
Old 09-01-2021, 05:36 AM   #28
newfan
Mad Scientist

In which case it was obviously less about selling an additional figure and more to try and make her character more appealing. In that case I guess you could argue the regular figure would get better sales.. I have no idea how well her figure of her sold though.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 05:02 AM   #29
D Piddy 1982
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Basically.

And while there are other reasons, dumb "no-reason" stuff like this is a huge reason why that show won't ever be as "definitive" or "awesome" of a take on TMNT as a lot of people insist. Too much of that show was just "New and Different for New and Different's Sake" and too many of their nonsense creative choices just don't justify themselves well at all.

Any version where April is anything but "The Turtles' first Normal Person Friend" just doesn't wash with me. It's one thing later on if they wanna have her do a little martial arts training, but if she's part-alien or "magic drawing" or whatever then I'm out. None of that junk is necessary.
Boom. I've been saying it for ages (actually in the case of trying to defend Rise against the haters...) - so many people cite this version of the TMNT as one of the best TMNT TV series but I just don't see it. The only thing that appeals to me is the TMNT themselves. Everything else - plot, secondary and tertiary characters, villains, character designs, backgrounds, colours - all "meh" to me. An average TMNT show with nice Turtle designs.

" 'Hero Turtle' craze leads to duck deaths" BBC News 2001
D Piddy 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 03:12 AM   #30
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Piddy 1982 View Post
so many people cite this version of the TMNT as one of the best TMNT TV series but I just don't see it.
There are just five TMNT TV series. Only three of them are taken seriously by fans in general.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:03 AM   #31
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

The 3 best are 2012 2003 and 1987. Next mutation is the worst . Rise is a little better but worst than the other 3.
Old 09-13-2021, 01:59 AM   #32
D Piddy 1982
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
There are just five TMNT TV series. Only three of them are taken seriously by fans in general.
True, but my point remains. Already 2 posts claiming this is a top tier TMNT series.

Opinions are like a-holes - everyone's got one, and for me 2012 is the 4th best iteration out of 5 for the reasons I already stated. Obviously TNM is 5th. FW is in the top 3 mainly down to nostalgia but it got a bullseye with it's target audience. 2003 I would say is generally regarded as the best and probably because it closely follows the storyline of the Mirage comics where it can. And everything about it is "classically TMNT". And Rise is like Marmite if you know what that is "you either love it or you hate it". There is no middle ground it seems!

" 'Hero Turtle' craze leads to duck deaths" BBC News 2001
D Piddy 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 10:48 PM   #33
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Piddy 1982 View Post
so many people cite this version of the TMNT as one of the best TMNT TV series but I just don't see it. The only thing that appeals to me is the TMNT themselves. Everything else - plot, secondary and tertiary characters, villains, character designs, backgrounds, colours - all "meh" to me. An average TMNT show with nice Turtle designs.
That's actually how I feel about Next Mutation. Atleast the CGI cartoon had an engaging plot and actually used characters people love to see!

Having always favored the Archie comics version of TMNT, if Nickelodeon were to ever to helm an animated interpretation based heavily on that with a little bit of Mirage and the 2003 series mixed in, I would be a happy camper.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote