The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 09-25-2021, 04:31 AM   #1
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Kirby and the Forgotten Land

Probably been a while since I made a new thread. It took nearly 30 years but Kirby is finally getting a 3D platformer. I've been waiting for this for a very long time and this definitely made the latest Direct for me. Interested in seeing what more this game has to offers. Not sure if there will be any locals to interact with but we'll see.

LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 04:46 AM   #2
newfan
Mad Scientist

I've played Kirby games with my son (Kirby's Adventure/Return to Dreamland on the Wii and Star Allies on the Switch) Likely gonna pick this up when it comes out.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 04:48 AM   #3
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Wow I already love it. Didn’t watch the Direct so this is news for me. I’ve always liked Kirby but I haven’t been able to keep with the more recent games. This is going to be special.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:51 AM   #4
The Deadman
Foot Elite

I love Kirby so I too will pick this up. It should have stayed true to the 2D aspect, though.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 08:02 AM   #5
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Wow I already love it. Didn’t watch the Direct so this is news for me. I’ve always liked Kirby but I haven’t been able to keep with the more recent games. This is going to be special.
Sorry I spoiled it if you intended to watch the direct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
I love Kirby so I too will pick this up. It should have stayed true to the 2D aspect, though.
I think some were getting tired of the 2D games.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:44 AM   #6
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post

I think some were getting tired of the 2D games.
If that's true, they're probably the same people who say Sonic should have never gone 3D.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 12:28 PM   #7
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
If that's true, they're probably the same people who say Sonic should have never gone 3D.
What's this weird and strange correlation about? Sonic and Kirby are 2 completely different franchises.

Anyway, I'm glad Kirby is 3D. I've been wanting Nintendo to take a chance on more IPs that aren't just Mario and give Kirby, Yoshi, and Donkey Kong a shot at a 3D platformer, so this definitely excites me. The 2D Kirby games just never appealed to me that much and I feel like a lot of people found Star Allies to be quite stale. Hopefully this opens the door for more 3D experiences.
Old 09-25-2021, 01:33 PM   #8
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
What's this weird and strange correlation about? Sonic and Kirby are 2 completely different franchises.

Anyway, I'm glad Kirby is 3D. I've been wanting Nintendo to take a chance on more IPs that aren't just Mario and give Kirby, Yoshi, and Donkey Kong a shot at a 3D platformer, so this definitely excites me. The 2D Kirby games just never appealed to me that much and I feel like a lot of people found Star Allies to be quite stale. Hopefully this opens the door for more 3D experiences.
Would love to see DK get another shot at it. But Kirby being in a 3D space now can reach out to new audiences that couldn't get into his 2D games. Plus a 3D game is a better playground for the series to experiment than the 2D ones. And yeah Star Allies was fine but stale so this is a huge leap that was needed.
Old 09-25-2021, 02:50 PM   #9
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Even though the title is kind of ominous, I like the overall atmosphere/vision within the game.

I'm looking forward to it.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 11:01 PM   #10
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
No it’s fine. I don’t watch them. I just wait and see what was announced and check out trailers from there.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:59 AM   #11
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

It may appear to be open world but I'm wondering if it will be either that or a more linear game. Not Crash linear but somewhat like Mario Galaxy minus not being able to backtrack.
Old 01-12-2022, 10:20 AM   #12
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Old 01-12-2022, 10:44 AM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

"_____ should have stayed 2D" = dead wrong. Adapt or die. Or third option, be content with middling profits from 40 year-old retro gamers.

But man, that engine HAS to be the Mario Odyssey engine repurposed, right? Like, that looks like someone straight up made a Kirby mod for it.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 02:22 PM   #14
Leo656
The Franchise

You hate that a lot of people prefer 2D games.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:41 PM   #15
Wildcat
Foot Elite

It’s so cute and colorful I just love it.

I still wanna play the ones I’ve missed but it’s awesome that he’s finally in a 3D world. There’s no reason he needs to stay 2D. Some people used to say the same about Sonic.
Old 01-12-2022, 11:28 PM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
You hate that a lot of people prefer 2D games.
I hate that it stunts the evolution of gaming. And what we're talking about is 40+ year olds who like it and the 40+ year olds who used to be 12 playing 2D games now making decisions at gaming companies. But I guess for every 2D MK or SF game in 2D I groan at, there is stuff like Last of Us 2 and Dying Light and such, and a small but impressive PSVR library that excites me.
Old 01-12-2022, 11:34 PM   #17
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
It’s so cute and colorful I just love it.

I still wanna play the ones I’ve missed but it’s awesome that he’s finally in a 3D world. There’s no reason he needs to stay 2D. Some people used to say the same about Sonic.
Right?! It was long overdue for Kirby to make the jump but here we are! They still say that about Sonic.
Old 01-13-2022, 12:35 AM   #18
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Right?! It was long overdue for Kirby to make the jump but here we are! They still say that about Sonic.
Ya I guess they do but I don’t see it as much as I used too. I mostly see complaints about Sonic Team and the overall direction of the games.
Old 01-13-2022, 12:37 AM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

There is definitely terrible 3D games. The thing with the transition from 2D to 3D games was largely development time. To do a truly great 3D game... it takes a ton of time. And money. But developers largely expected a 3D game to have the same turnaround time as the 2D games they could pump out numerical sequels for every year. So you get crap rushed out the door. First example that pops out in my mind is "Blaster Master: Blasting Again." Basically Blaster Master 3. Everyone involved believed they were making something revolutionary... but good luck making a game like that in like under 6 months.

They kind of figured this out and how to adjust for it. But you still see companies expecting the older business model... and you still get 40+ year olds pointing at 3D games pushed out by dumb companies that fail as "ah-hah! If only it was 2D!" or as proof positive that "oh, well, clearly 2D was the way to go then."
Old 01-13-2022, 07:05 PM   #20
Coola Yagami
Overlord

The 40+ year olds are the ones with the money to buy these games though.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote