The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-07-2021, 10:28 AM   #1
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City

Here's the first trailer for the movie reboot Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City.

Old 10-07-2021, 11:41 AM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Looks way better and closer to the game but... a little cheap? As in, maybe a lot?

Also, I'm not sure that Random Actress and Arrow's real life little brother are going to be able to move the meter much. The Paul W.S. Anderson Resident Evil wasn't good but Milla Jovovich was white hot at the time, when it came out. Michelle Rodriguez? Definitely on the move and critically acclaimed (Girlfight), coming fresh off of "The Fast and the Furious." Who does this movie have, exactly?

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 10-07-2021 at 11:54 AM.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 11:47 AM   #3
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

The choice of music is weird however.
Old 10-07-2021, 11:50 AM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
The choice of music is weird however.
I think they literally went "what was playing on the radio in 1998 and a hit?" and chose that song.
Old 10-07-2021, 01:12 PM   #5
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I think they literally went "what was playing on the radio in 1998 and a hit?" and chose that song.
Also every time I hear that song, It reminds me of this.

Old 10-07-2021, 01:23 PM   #6
Allio
Foot Elite

Was always more the Silent Hill kind of guy when it came to the games.
Old 10-07-2021, 02:33 PM   #7
IMJ
Emperor

Looks like they are taking the nods from the recent Mortal Kombat flick. Like - a toe into "film quality" but more like super high quality T.V. with cinematic cameras and nothing-burger actors.

All a way to sort of get the I.P. into theaters but without gambling on any star power at all whatsoever.

But Mortal Kombat was watchable the first time - it exceeded expectations and maybe this will too, but I can still see this being a "download" and not a "buy". But we'll see.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
Was always more the Silent Hill kind of guy when it came to the games.
I straight up think that the first Silent Hill flick was fantastic horror - easily one of the best video game movies ever made and really a great and unique horror flick on it's own merits.

The sequel was trash though. It was like going from Brandon Lee in the Crow right to any of it's watered down "The CW" knockoff sequels.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 02:42 PM   #8
Allio
Foot Elite

Rewatching the first silent hill film again, I like it better now. The first two acts were fine for all things, but the 3rd act fell apart. The music was still good, so that’s a plus.
Old 10-07-2021, 03:30 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

This is a movie? I thought this was a netflix series.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 03:36 PM   #10
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I think there is a separate CGI tv-series.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 03:37 PM   #11
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Except the song is from an album released in mid October 1992 while the single was released in June 1993.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What%2...n_Blondes_song)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigger...,_Faster,_More!

Here are some of the hit songs from 1998:

February

March (but associated with the FIFA Soccer World Cup in June and early July that year, competition played in France)

March

May (album track already in February)

June

June from the science fiction movie Armageddon, single release in August

September

October

November (album track already in October)

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 10-07-2021 at 04:13 PM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:23 PM   #12
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The woke CW-esque Netflix series with the black Wesker and his 2 daughters that has nothing to do with Resident Evil is unrelated to this equally awful film or the other CG Netflix series that is basically another CG movie like the previous 3 but cut into 4 parts...
Old 10-07-2021, 05:48 PM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Looks like they are taking the nods from the recent Mortal Kombat flick.
That and maybe the Hellboy reboot. Truer to the source material and R-rated... yet nobody actors and way less budgets.
Old 10-07-2021, 07:02 PM   #14
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
That and maybe the Hellboy reboot. Truer to the source material and R-rated... yet nobody actors and way less budgets.
Oh geeze man. I forgot the Hellboy flick with Stranger Things guy even existed. I never saw it......
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:43 PM   #15
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Also every time I hear that song, It reminds me of this.

https://c.tenor.com/uJm_ZTk5WGMAAAAC/heman-hey.gif
I don't have the vocabulary to express how much I hate you.

Quote:
L
I straight up think that the first Silent Hill flick was fantastic horror - easily one of the best video game movies ever made and really a great and unique horror flick on it's own merits.

The sequel was trash though. It was like going from Brandon Lee in the Crow right to any of it's watered down "The CW" knockoff sequels.
Can't agree more. First time I saw the movie, I never played the games so the movie was very "eh" to me without any context. Like it was "fine" but I didn't notice lots of things about it which made it great. Some things, you really do need to be completely immersed in the source material to truly "get", and I think that was one of those movies.

Because when I watched it again after I'd played Silent Hill 2, like, a half dozen times, there was SO MUCH to see and appreciate in the film that just went completely over my head the first time I'd seen it. It's such a perfect adaptation in all of the important ways; like yes, it deviates, but it goes to such incredible lengths to capture the spirit and the essence of the games, to the point where it really is the most faithful video game adaptation I've personally ever seen. When I read about how they made it, I couldn't help but be impressed with the director's dedication, to the point where there were people literally playing the games on-set just off to the side of the camera so they could compare things and make sure they were "getting it right".

Making the second film with a different director who was "just" making a horror movie and not trying to make it feel like the games in any significant way really hurt it. They waited too long to make it, and if they couldn't get the original director back they just shouldn't have bothered. I definitely wanted to see where the story went after the ending of the first movie, so that was intriguing, but the execution was botched. Too much humor, the tacked-on love story sh*t really hurt it, and it was just so half-assed compared to the first one. They left it open for Part 3, but I would only want to see it if the original director came back. The sequel was SO disappointing.

Quote:
Oh geeze man. I forgot the Hellboy flick with Stranger Things guy even existed. I never saw it......
It's okay. I liked it for what it was. I know nobody but me is capable of doing this, for some reason, but you really just have to ignore the Del Toro ones and try and appreciate the reboot on its own merits, and if you can do that it's good. It's not as "slick" as the Del Toro ones and it doesn't aim as high, but it's fun. Anytime someone makes a movie with the mission statement, "We want this one to be more faithful to the source material," I'm in. Was never a huge fan of the Hellboy comics but I can appreciate the approach. Del Toro was basically making a "twisted fairy tale" with a love story tacked on, and the reboot was completely different, so if you're romantically in love with the original movies then the reboot won't sit well. But I thought both versions were good movies for entirely different reasons.

I wouldn't say it was like, a fantastic movie or anything. But I did notice that most of the "criticism" about it was just, "I like Del Toro's better, this one has no right to exist" and I just think that's very unfair. Decent low-budget horror/comedy splatterfest. Lots of dark humor and gore. I can't see how anyone going into it with no expectations would hate it. But that's me.

Quote:
nobody actors and way less budgets.
Things like this frankly shouldn't matter. Especially within the horror genre, which basically made its bones on Exactly Those Things.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 10:26 PM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Except the song is from an album released in mid October 1992 while the single was released in June 1993.
Wow, I was way off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Things like this frankly shouldn't matter. Especially within the horror genre, which basically made its bones on Exactly Those Things.
Yeah, but when you're trying to entice audiences to come see a new reboot of a movie series that began ridiculous and got progressively more and more ridiculous and camp... "this time it's a lot more faithful to the game(s)!" maybe won't be enough on its own? Or maybe it will. Like I said about the latest MK movie... it just needed like a semi decently big name or two to get a lot more people to pay attention to it.

Like, pay a bunch of money to Ana de Armas (or someone similar) to be Jill Valentine. She's not an A lister but she's on the rise and people are starting to sing her praises.

I don't give a f*** about Resident Evil movies or games but I'd be stoked to see her running around killing T virus zombies.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 10-07-2021 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-07-2021, 10:56 PM   #17
sdp
Megan Fox = April

How many RE projects are there? so confusing. I did find out the Netflix show was cast because of the data they have of demographics that watch that type of content.

so this is adapting resident evil 1 & 2 from what i can see? it does look cheap, like the CG at times looks worse than the milla jovovich movies. It also looks like a weird remix of the events which I don't like the emphasis on "we gotta stop umbrella", feels too superhero esque to me. Still props for trying to be more accurate at least.

Why does Claire Redfield look like she's in her 30s when she should be 16?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 11:13 PM   #18
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Yeah, but when you're trying to entice audiences to come see a new reboot of a movie series that began ridiculous and got progressively more and more ridiculous and camp... "this time it's a lot more faithful to the game(s)!" maybe won't be enough on its own? Or maybe it will. Like I said about the latest MK movie... it just needed like a semi decently big name or two to get a lot more people to pay attention to it.

Like, pay a bunch of money to Ana de Armas (or someone similar) to be Jill Valentine. She's not an A lister but she's on the rise and people are starting to sing her praises.

https://i.ibb.co/VJxPnZB/ATOPRMXYPVN...GQZRHEYXVA.jpg

I don't give a f*** about Resident Evil movies or games but I'd be stoked to see her running around killing T virus zombies.
Eh, this is one of those things where you and I differ in priority. I've noticed you care more about "The business" side of the business than I do. Which is just an observation.

With regard to movies, and especially with regard to what I personally want to see, I completely give no f*cks about what the rest of the audience would care about, what's going to "kickstart a franchise", or any of that. If Jane Doe can play the role as well or better than Jennifer Aniston, I'm fine if Jane Doe gets it. Yeah, they'll make another 50 million if it's Aniston, but I don't give a sh*t, I'm not in the business and that money isn't going to me.

Like, with regard to the MK movie, putting a "name" in it wouldn't have done one goddamn thing to make that movie any better (or worse). Like okay, maybe you bring in a few more dollars, but fundamentally, everything else Good and Bad about the movie remains the same, so unless you're one of the producers it literally shouldn't matter at all, in my opinion.

For my part, I generally don't like "stunt casting" in these smaller-budget projects anyways, it's distracting. I don't see (Character Name), I just see "Nic Cage (or whoever) doing (___________) cosplay".

I mean, I get it, kinda. When they cast Megan Fox for April O'Neil I was repeatedly... not "defending" it exactly, but more or less pointing out how like, "Without her then the movie doesn't get made, end of story", and I (rightly) predicted that her involvement wasn't even going to be close to the worst thing about the movie. Still, she wasn't a good pick, even though the bit about there being no movie without her was definitely true. In hindsight, they just never should've made the movie, period.

I'unno, I feel like if your project can only fly if it has a "name" attached, then it probably lacks some substance. But that's me.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 11:21 PM   #19
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Why does Claire Redfield look like she's in her 30s when she should be 16?
Claire was 19 in RE2. The whole casting is so goddamn awful anyway.

Jill and Leon are by far the most popular characters in the series and they went woke with them. Barry easily had the most interesting role in the original game and he's completely absent for some reason. Claire even steals Chris' role of trying to take down Umbrella for cheap girl power points.

Mix that all up with a CW caliber actor for Chris, a generic white guy as Wesker, and some sh*tty low budget CGI and production, and Claire looking 30 is the least of this film's issues. Bad enough they're trying to cram 2 games into one story, one of which was already redone recently and far better than any film could attempt.
Old 10-07-2021, 11:43 PM   #20
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The Wesker guy is the only choice I somewhat dig. That guy's great in Umbrella Academy and made a decent showing on Game of Thrones.