The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Should April be with Casey? Or Donatello?
Casey 21 72.41%
Donatello 8 27.59%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2015, 02:53 PM   #41
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Although... it could be an interesting take if she got with Casey ("because normal" - as if he's in any way normal), but in her 20s decides he's never going to grow up, has gradually come into her own, realized she and Donnie really do click and ditch Casey for him.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:01 PM   #42
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Well that was... creative. o.O

The lengths people go to for creativity...

Yeah, I know, right? Creepy, too. But it was written for/around Halloween, so there's that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Delving into the shadows so you don't have to...

She's very good at that.

Quote:
Although... it could be an interesting take if she got with Casey ("because normal" - as if he's in any way normal), but in her 20s decides he's never going to grow up, has gradually come into her own, realized she and Donnie really do click and ditch Casey for him.

I've seen that take happen more than once, too. As it happens, Seeker has done one or two like that. So have a couple of others I follow.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:03 PM   #43
Lethal Lullaby
Foot Elite

Where's the 'Neither, April's an independent girl' option?

Okay in all honesty I don't really care. If she goes with Casey: Great. If she chooses Don: Well alright.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:18 PM   #44
*NormalGamer*
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal Lullaby View Post
Where's the 'Neither, April's an independent girl' option?

Okay in all honesty I don't really care. If she goes with Casey: Great. If she chooses Don: Well alright.
@ *referring to bold*

To me, it all depends on how well they developed their friendships are first; otherwise, I also choose, 'Neither'.
*NormalGamer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:30 PM   #45
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I'm not a fan of a human and non-human relationship. Interspecies relationships in a show about anthropomorphic animals doesn't seem weird but when a human is involved it is. I never liked or understood the appeal for the Goliath/Eliza pairing in Gargoyles.

Now Donatello having a crush on April could've been cute like the way it was handled in past incarnations, but they took the obsession a little too seriously in the Nick show.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:03 PM   #46
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

But WE are like half of what the anthropomorphism is even based on.

Humans regard ourselves so highly and so "different," but what are we really.

Although it's an interesting debate imo - and one that humankind takes way too seriously since we are only ever talking about fiction and only ever (I assume!) will be. Makes it interesting to watch people react though. Characters that are still very similar to humans end up lumped with the same amount of "NO" as if, I dunno, someone were suggesting getting friendly with Mr. Ed the talking horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
I've seen that take happen more than once, too. As it happens, Seeker has done one or two like that. So have a couple of others I follow.
lol Man... it's true then, doesn't matter if it's fan stuff or Oscar winning films, the general themes have all been done.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:06 PM   #47
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Unless Casey matures anytime soon, I'd go for neither. As it is, I don't think they'll have a lasting relationship.
This kinda struck me as a move that they could do that would work well with the de-aged cast. Let April and Casey BE a couple.....for an episode or 2, and have her see that he's to immature and it won't last. Introduce a 3rd character for APRIL to choose to be with. Maybe then Donnie and Casey will wise up and step back so April can be happy.

But like that will ever happen.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:13 PM   #48
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Man, that would be glorious, because then we'd get to see "Love Doesn't Fix Everything" and "Sometimes Love Isn't Enough" and even maybe "Every Relationship isn't End Game"

Which would be AWESOME.
Sigh.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:15 PM   #49
pennydreadful
trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou 500 View Post
I once came across a piece of fanfiction where April's killed in a fight and in his grief, Donnie secretly takes her body to his lab and resurrects her as a semi-functional zombie. Raphael discovers April when he witnesses his brother... using her.

Just felt like sharing that.
Quote:
As it happens, I know EXACTLY which little ficcy you were referring to! It's THIS little gem here:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9775008/1/Boundless
... I love this fandom.

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:20 PM   #50
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou 500 View Post
I once came across a piece of fanfiction where April's killed in a fight and in his grief, Donnie secretly takes her body to his lab and resurrects her as a semi-functional zombie. Raphael discovers April when he witnesses his brother... using her.

Just felt like sharing that.

Gah, where's a gif of 4Kids Mikey barfing when you need it?

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:30 PM   #51
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Quote:
But WE are like half of what the anthropomorphism is even based on.

Humans regard ourselves so highly and so "different," but what are we really.

Although it's an interesting debate imo - and one that humankind takes way too seriously since we are only ever talking about fiction and only ever (I assume!) will be. Makes it interesting to watch people react though. Characters that are still very similar to humans end up lumped with the same amount of "NO" as if, I dunno, someone were suggesting getting friendly with Mr. Ed the talking horse.

Yeah, I've never understood what is so "special" about us HUMANS that we consider ourselves so much "better" than any other creatures/beings. I mean, if green-skinned (albeit alien) gals are good enough for Captain Kirk, why wouldn't a green-skinned GUY be "good enough" for April? So what if he's got a shell? Twi'lek chicks have those head-tail things, but apparently, even Jabba wasn't turned off by that (and it's weirder for HIM than it would be with, say, Han- for obvious reasons....) And then there's Hepzibah from the Starjammers, whose entire race are basically cat-folk. Yet she had a relationship with Warbird (and presumably also with Corsaire, though I don't recall for certain). Goliath/Eliza, Beauty/Beast, etc. It's all relative between what WE consider attractive/acceptable, to what other cultures or species would consider so in fiction. For instance, would WE even be considered attractive to other races? Would a cat-man consider a human woman suitable as a possible mate/partner/whatever? Maybe, maybe not, but who are WE to judge? It hardly matters what the individual LOOKS like, if they have other qualities that are attractive to someone or make them a suitable match.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:51 PM   #52
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
... I love this fandom.
I pulled up that story for a read... quite well written. I shall have to see if she's written anything else.

Actually, I need to find some good TMNT fanfic period. I should go start another thread and ask for recommendations...

Back on topic, what if April ended up with HUN?

Or Irma. Either of those would send plenty of heads spinning.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:54 PM   #53
Yabuturtle
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Yeah, I've never understood what is so "special" about us HUMANS that we consider ourselves so much "better" than any other creatures/beings. I mean, if green-skinned (albeit alien) gals are good enough for Captain Kirk, why wouldn't a green-skinned GUY be "good enough" for April? So what if he's got a shell? Twi'lek chicks have those head-tail things, but apparently, even Jabba wasn't turned off by that (and it's weirder for HIM than it would be with, say, Han- for obvious reasons....) And then there's Hepzibah from the Starjammers, whose entire race are basically cat-folk. Yet she had a relationship with Warbird (and presumably also with Corsaire, though I don't recall for certain). Goliath/Eliza, Beauty/Beast, etc. It's all relative between what WE consider attractive/acceptable, to what other cultures or species would consider so in fiction. For instance, would WE even be considered attractive to other races? Would a cat-man consider a human woman suitable as a possible mate/partner/whatever? Maybe, maybe not, but who are WE to judge? It hardly matters what the individual LOOKS like, if they have other qualities that are attractive to someone or make them a suitable match.
I agree. People seem to think that only looks matter. Some will say they shouldn't be together because he's a turtle. Well no, he's a mutated turtle, capable of human speech, feelings intelligence ect. She'd be going out with a mutant, not an animal, like an actual turtle, dog, ect. Goliath/Elisa or Belle/Beast are often supported but not Donnie/April? I don't get the logic behind that. Belle can go out with a human turned beast like hybrid with horns and fur and claws but April can't go out with a green skinned mutant with a shell?

There's much more to love than just looks. Characters in interspecies relationships obviously look beyond that, as they recognize qualities that seems appealing to them, whether they are humans, mutants, aliens, ect. If one disagrees on them being a couple, that's fine, but the sole reason because they are a different species? It doesn't seem like a good argument.
Yabuturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:12 PM   #54
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I pulled up that story for a read... quite well written. I shall have to see if she's written anything else.

Actually, I need to find some good TMNT fanfic period. I should go start another thread and ask for recommendations...

Back on topic, what if April ended up with HUN?

Or Irma. Either of those would send plenty of heads spinning.

Oh, yes, she certainly has! I'm sure Seeker won't mind if I play publicity manager for a moment to toss a new reader her way. Here's her FF page:

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4422314/SleepingSeeker

Also, we have a thread for recs here already, I believe- it's in the fan-works section of the forums. Plenty of good ones in there!

On the second point- That would certainly be interesting! Heck, I've even heard arguments in favor of Karai at this point. Not entirely sure I don't agree with that one, either. It would at least be different....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabuturtle View Post
I agree. People seem to think that only looks matter. Some will say they shouldn't be together because he's a turtle. Well no, he's a mutated turtle, capable of human speech, feelings intelligence ect. She'd be going out with a mutant, not an animal, like an actual turtle, dog, ect. Goliath/Elisa or Belle/Beast are often supported but not Donnie/April? I don't get the logic behind that. Belle can go out with a human turned beast like hybrid with horns and fur and claws but April can't go out with a green skinned mutant with a shell?

There's much more to love than just looks. Characters in interspecies relationships obviously look beyond that, as they recognize qualities that seems appealing to them, whether they are humans, mutants, aliens, ect. If one disagrees on them being a couple, that's fine, but the sole reason because they are a different species? It doesn't seem like a good argument.

Yeah, that's exactly my thoughts, too. It just- doesn't make sense.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:39 PM   #55
*NormalGamer*
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabuturtle View Post

@ *referring to bold*

Same thing also goes for characters in interracial relationships or even characters in gay/lesbian/bi/asexual/trans relationships, as well;to me, in it's core, it's all about 'what they have in common' with each other that brings them together through the good and the bad times; platonically or otherwise.
*NormalGamer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:47 PM   #56
pennydreadful
trash

I'd rather see Nick April with Nick Karai; lord knows the two dears need some decent character development and they ain't gettin' much of it in the canon.

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:54 PM   #57
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite

Where's the neither option?

both are very annoying around her and they'd all be more tolerable if none of them had a crush on her.

I still wish April was more of a sister.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:04 PM   #58
billbot85
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyTurtles View Post
Where's the neither option?

both are very annoying around her and they'd all be more tolerable if none of them had a crush on her.

I still wish April was more of a sister.
I second this, for the Nick show at least. I voted for Casey in regards to being with April in the 2k3 series and 90's films.

GIFSoup
billbot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:10 PM   #59
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Casey.

But I wish that April was used for more than being involved in zany romantic subplots.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:41 PM   #60
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Personally I think April should be with Donnie.

Don't get me wrong, I like the April/Casey pairing too.

So far as I've seen Casey only seems to be seeing April as a conquest since through out season two. As we do hear him say "I was wondering when we're going on a real date?" To which April just coyly says "Who says this is a date?" And he does possessively treat her as something to be protected and defended.

In Donnie's case however yes his actions come across as creepy, but remember April is the first and only girl he has ever encountered or met. Every other person of the female variety he has seen on TV. So you can't expect a person who has never encountered or known a person of the opposite gender to understand how to act around that person.

And generally when Donnie calls April, "My April" "My Sweet Princess" ect. He does back peddle and apologize for saying that because he knows such comments are pushing things further then they actually are. And also they are at moments when he's worried or excited.

Such as when Donnie calls April his sweet princess in "Karai's vendeta. He had been completely worried about her because she was facing a person she logically couldn't fight on her own yet and he wasn't able to come to her aid. So when he hears she's okay he's so elated that the "My sweet princess" comment just slips out. Though he has later grown to see her more as an equal member of the team.

However he has mostly kept things at April's pace. When ever he has hugged April, it was April who initiates it. Donnie initiates a hug only once and when April shows she's not interested he respects that and doesn't push it.

Also whenever Donnie is kissed by April, this is also something that April has done on her own. She hasn't kissed Casey ever in the nick version...at least not yet. She has occasionally hugged him though.

And even now the crush is still present, but Donnie has grown enough to let the crush define his relationship with April.

In other versions such as the 2k3, yes Donnie did have a crush on April that doesn't go anywhere. But that's all it is a boy hood crush and he does have a sort of luke warm relationship with Casey because of it.

Later when we get to the Fast Forward series, it is mentioned that Donnie and April do have a child together. Not a literal child though... The child in this case is a business...O'Neil Tech. The first episode of fast forward it's mentioned that April and Casey were the founders of O'Neil Tech, but the second episode revealed that Donnie as also one of the founders. There wasn't anything talked about beyond that, however but I can imagine that Donnie and April were largely the business partners, and Casey was just there as a figure head.

So when it comes to a relationship between Donnie and April in any form. Yes it can be a platonic, brother/sister friendship. Or yes it can be a literal figurative relationship.

And even if April and Donnie do end up together, the fact they aren't able to physically have children shouldn't stop them from being together. They D

I mean look at Goliath and Elisa's relationship. It's mentioned in one of the SLC Issues that were produced by Greg Wisemen that Gargoyles mate for life. So for Goliath he didn't believe he would have anyone beyond Demona. It's Elisa who initiates the relationship with him, however she also acknowledges in show that the two of them could never honestly be a couple.

And in one of the SLC comics, she has a moment where she tells Goliath that she feels they should see other people because she wants normalcy and she can't have that with him. So she attends a Halloween Party with Morgan while Goliath attends it with Delilah (a Cloned hybrid of Demona and Elisa) and the two of them are completely miserable being apart.

For April's part she likes both boys for different reasons. She likes Donnie because he genuinely cares about her as a person. He helps her learn, understand, and control her psychic powers by studying them. He has gone out of his way to help save her father three times now. And this would be something he would have done regardless of whether he was in love with her or not. After all 2k3 Donnie did help April find help her Uncle and he did that as her friend, not because he wanted any sort of gratification out of it.

Casey on the other hand she likes as a friend. And she does show that yes their relationship is the visual norm or the amatory normative as it were. I.E. Other humans would understand a relationship between a human girl and human boy. But not a relationship between a human girl and a mutant Turtle.

But April herself isn't human as this has been revealed at the end of "Kraang Conspiracy" This is a plot point that hasn't been brought up or mentioned since, but so far only the Turtles (and possibly Splinter) and April know of it. The Turtles have not discussed or talked about April being part Kraang since it's revelation because they know that's a touchy subject with her. And they want her to accept it on her own time.

Casey is ignorant of this however and just believes April is a normal girl...who happens to have psychic powers.

This last episode where April and Casey were together felt like a litmus test of her relationship with Casey. Because when they come out of the movie theater, Casey is prattling on about the movie but April is expressing some feeling uneasy about everything and how she would like some normalcy in her life. And then when Casey doesn't act like he's listening she starts saying he head has gone missing. It's only when he leaves he does show he was listening to her he just wasn't paying attention to her.

However if she had been having that conversation about normalcy with Donnie, it is probable that the conversation would have been different.

Tags
april o'neil