The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 02-06-2020, 04:08 AM   #741
Leo656
The Franchise

I was always kinda wondering about that myself but never thought to ask or look it up. I'd never heard of them until a few years ago and suddenly it seemed like they were all over the place. Thanks.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 04:42 AM   #742
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Test shots of Raph

The biceps are the wrong way, it's been addressed.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:23 AM   #743
JonesyKitty
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Test shots of Raph

https://scontent.fosl3-2.fna.fbcdn.n...84&oe=5ECA8E18

The biceps are the wrong way, it's been addressed.
Okay I'm torn and confused by this Raphael. When I first saw the photos from Toy Fair I thought he looked alright but nothing special, something felt off. Perhaps the proportions? But now I'm looking at the Toy Fair pictures, the preorder listing pictures and comparing them to the one above, did they retool the Raphael mold again? I don't know if it's just the angle but the one above actually looks good. The older photos from the front/flat view just look off to me. Anyone else having issues like this or is it just me?
JonesyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:18 AM   #744
inaheap
Mad Scientist

Is it just me or does Raph almost look two different sizes in that picture?

I just inquired and they said wave 1 is in production now. It is currently looking like a summer release. Just in case anyone is interested.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:15 AM   #745
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
Raph needs to be lighter. I’m starting to like these a little more than I did last year. I wonder who will be in the third wave — S7 will most likely go with Michelangelo, Rocksteady, Krang, and April.
nah, they've been throwing an interesting mutant into each wave so far. It adds a fresh element to the line and also keeps them ahead of NECA for at least a couple characters. I think Mikey and Rocksteady are solid guesses but I'd bet they'll do Rat King, Ace Duck, a frog, or maybe even Mondo Gecko. Then Krang or April can be the fourth figure.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:46 AM   #746
Chris
Mad Scientist

That seems like a reasonable guess. Get the big names out along with a few wild cards to keep things interesting and make sure they don't burn through all the heavy hitters too soon. Something like;

Michelangelo
April
Rocksteady
General Traag

Donatello
Casey
Krang
Slash

Personally I'd resist putting Rat King or Leatherhead in the next two waves, save them so there's some popular characters for wave 5.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:01 PM   #747
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaheap View Post
Is it just me or does Raph almost look two different sizes in that picture?

I just inquired and they said wave 1 is in production now. It is currently looking like a summer release. Just in case anyone is interested.
The ‘88 head looks larger than the ‘19 head.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:21 PM   #748
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Have both waves ordered... I don't even mind the higher price. At least you can pre-order these and lock them in unlike the notoriously difficult to find NECA Target packs O.o These look higher quality anyway.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 04:08 PM   #749
j3h
Hench Mutant

I now have both waves preordered as well as I like the style Super 7 settled on.

From what I understand, Super 7 only has the rights to remake the classic playmates line, not for toon and not for comic style figures, which is a different set of licensing with more aspects and/or partners to deal with and a different cost. (I would assume one would have to deal with Master toy license holder Playmates, Owner Nickelodeon, and either publisher Mirage or IDW depending on the comic style). I do not know if the option was even available to them, so saying they are wasting an opportunity is a null point to be upset or arguing about.
This is why their tmnt reaction figures are technically 3.75” 5 points of articulation stylized remakes of the classic line as well and not ReAction versions of cartoon turtles.
Seeing how Brian Flynn loves remaking classic comic styles into toys (I.E. his 50’s style Archie ReAction figures, comic style Hellboy ReAction and classic classic Peanuts ReAction figures) I’m sure he would LOVE to do classic Mirage styled figures if he could, but I have a feeling Playmates or Nickelodeon is holding that particular licensing aspect back for some reason.
j3h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:38 PM   #750
miru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
nah, they've been throwing an interesting mutant into each wave so far. It adds a fresh element to the line and also keeps them ahead of NECA for at least a couple characters. I think Mikey and Rocksteady are solid guesses but I'd bet they'll do Rat King, Ace Duck, a frog, or maybe even Mondo Gecko. Then Krang or April can be the fourth figure.

Good ideas there, but maybe you’re sleeping on Mona Lisa, unless L. Head and R. King count as major enough for wave V.

Still hyped for these. Would like to collect them alongside the NECA versions.
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:49 PM   #751
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
Good ideas there, but maybe you’re sleeping on Mona Lisa, unless L. Head and R. King count as major enough for wave V.

Still hyped for these. Would like to collect them alongside the NECA versions.
Mona Lisa came much later in the original Playmates toy line. I would think S7 would try to get the ‘88 to ‘90 figures out of the way first before throwing in the ‘91 to ‘94 basic assortment characters from the original toy line, but you never know. S7 has the license to cover the whole original Playmates toy line.

I hope S7 stops doing off-kilter heads for the original turtles in the future. As great as the new Leo head is, I would have preferred to see a sad Leo face in addition to the two heads S7 already made.

Last edited by mikey0; 02-12-2020 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:58 PM   #752
Wingnut II
Random Punk

Hey

Two things that bug me about the TMNT Ultimates toys for Super7:

why the heck did they give Bebop those idiotic buck teeth and stupid-looking glasses instead of using his cartoon design, not to mention why did they make Shredder shirtless?

And yes, I know they're based on the 1988 toyline from Playmates, but then why'd Playmates go with those design choices?
Wingnut II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:47 PM   #753
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut II View Post
And yes, I know they're based on the 1988 toyline from Playmates
looks like you answered your own question my dude
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:51 PM   #754
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Two things that bug me about the TMNT Ultimates toys for Super7:

why the heck did they give Bebop those idiotic buck teeth and stupid-looking glasses instead of using his cartoon design, not to mention why did they make Shredder shirtless?

And yes, I know they're based on the 1988 toyline from Playmates, but then why'd Playmates go with those design choices?
He-Man and The Masters of the Universe is the answer to both questions. In the 1980s, action figure designs never matched that of their cartoon counterparts. This could be because the action figures were being sculpted before or around the time the mini-series was being made or Playmates decided to have the characters of Bebop and Shredder be unique to the cartoon versions of the characters. As for Shredder being shirtless, I always believed that Playmates was trying to appeal to fans of Masters of the Universe in the late 80s with their Shredder figure.

S7 could release a Toon Shredder, but you will have to wait a long time for that to happen. To the best of my knowledge, S7 seems to only be selling basic assortment characters from the original Playmates line [sans the turtle, movie, Foot Clan and April variants from ‘91 to ‘94].

Last edited by mikey0; 02-14-2020 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:53 PM   #755
Otter
Stone Warrior

My understanding is Super7 can't do cartoon versions, NECA has the license to do that (over a certain pricepoint, hence the 2-packs). Super7 can do the "vintage" toyline in 7". If you don't like the designs of the original toys, you won't like what Super7 is doing.

I was always disappointed in the original line, because I read the comics. But a couple of designs grew on me, so those are the ones I'll cherry-pick. The latest reveal has nothing for me. God, I hope they do Usagi though.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:36 PM   #756
Wingnut II
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
looks like you answered your own question my dude
Not really. I'm just confused about why their toy version of Bebop had to have buck-teeth.
Wingnut II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:43 PM   #757
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
My understanding is Super7 can't do cartoon versions, NECA has the license to do that (over a certain pricepoint, hence the 2-packs). Super7 can do the "vintage" toyline in 7". If you don't like the designs of the original toys, you won't like what Super7 is doing.

I was always disappointed in the original line, because I read the comics. But a couple of designs grew on me, so those are the ones I'll cherry-pick. The latest reveal has nothing for me. God, I hope they do Usagi though.
Toon Shredder was a 1993 Playmates release.

Quote:
Not really. I'm just confused about why their toy version of Bebop had to have buck-teeth.
Bebop was modeled after an actual wild boar, hence the buck-teeth. There is also the stereotype that people with buck-teeth are stupid. Bebop was the stupid punk archetype, while Rocksteady was always the militant one.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:53 AM   #758
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
super 7 is modeling their line off of the playmates toyline. so why does the playmates toyline look different from the cartoon? believe it or not, a lot of the toys came before the cartoon, so really the question should be: why doesn't the cartoon look like the toys?

playmates made the toys, but said they needed a cartoon out in order to proceed with distribution. once the cartoon came out, they released the first wave. bebop the toy precedes bebop in the cartoon.
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 02:43 PM   #759
mikey0
Foot Elite

Right. In 1986, the Mirage Comics TMNT comic book caught on with comic book readers, then Playmates Toys went to Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird in hopes of selling toys based on the original TMNT comic book. Initially, the toys were modeled after the popular Mirage Studios TMNT comic book characters. Then, a 1987 mini-series was made to advertise those toys, so the figures had to be redone to resemble the characters from the 1987 mini-series. Thankfully, the designs of the figures and card backs were not changed completely. So, the figures were a mashup of the designs for the Mirage Comics TMNT comic characters and the designs for the 1987 Fred Wolf mini-series.

I like that S7 went with the colors used for the soft-head Bebop versus the hard-head Bebop. I was never a fan of the hard-head versions of the first basic assortment figures.

Last edited by mikey0; 02-16-2020 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:10 PM   #760
tmntman
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
so really the question should be: why doesn't the cartoon look like the toys?
And that's pretty easy to answer as well. Highly detailed characters are a pain to animate. It takes too long for each image and it is too difficult to keep the details right from frame to frame and scene to scene. And let's face it, the original cartoon had more than enough errors in it already.

Check out my site at http://www.tmnttoys.com/
or follow me on Twitter, @TMNTtoys
tmntman is offline   Reply With Quote