The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 03-08-2020, 06:50 PM   #841
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

McF have done some nifty things and major improvements with their Fortnite line, which gotta be the main reason they got the DC license for collector toys.

Although I'm not a huge fan of their wrist joints, they can sometimes blend in with the sculpt and other times be super noticeable, like in their Harry Potter line where the McF joints almost ruins the aesthetic of the sculpt.

But, I do not see the appeal of getting redos of the old Spawn figures and retain the 5PoA of yesteryear, if you're gonna update them then go all they way.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:58 PM   #842
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemu View Post
It looks like a non articulated statue to me...
For the older collector, who isn’t in diapers in a sandbox, better sculpt comes before playability.

That Spawn is beautiful.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 07:04 PM   #843
Leo656
The Franchise

I don't know anything about Fortnite so I can't speak to that. All I know of McFarlane is that generally the sculpts and paint are fantastic but you either get a poseable statue like the old MGS or horror "figures" OR some hyper-articulated piece that looks awesome but can't hold its own weight without help, like the new DC figures. Thus I've only picked up a few items from that company over the years.

I remember getting the original Spawn figure for Christmas as a kid; didn't ask for it but I think my Dad just got it because it was neat, as he was a big Spawn fan. Looks "dated" now (I mean *I* still think it looks neat but yeah we've obviously come a long way) but those things were absolutely mind-blowing at the time, just light years ahead of what was coming out for DC and Marvel, etc. Kinda wish I still had it; might be in a box somewhere, I don't know. I think I had the regular one and "Medieval" Spawn, but I don't know what happened to either of them.

I've only picked up three of the new DC ones - animated Superman and Batman, and "regular" Superman - and they LOOK fantastic as hell, really loving the way they look, but the articulation choices actually hurt the figures because they simply can't stand up. If anything, they could do with a little LESS articulation if it meant that they weren't always falling over or trying to do the splits. Those ankle joints are garbage. But as usual, sculpting and paint is killer.

So that's my general opinion on the McFarlane brand. Mixed bag in general, probably more designed for people who don't open their toys, but that also begs the question of why they put so much work in at all. I'unno.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:56 PM   #844
TommyT
Banned

I have the Superman, the comic styled one, and yeah, it sucks ass. You’re not wrong, the articulation is terrible, but I don’t think that is indicative of the Brand as a whole.

Neca, has similar issues, tbh. From what I understand, the harder the plastic, the more likely the mould is to potentially lock up, something to do with angles and overhangs. This means you end up with softer plastics on more detailed stuff, but that in turn can lead to warping and shrinkage, which can lead to toys not being able to stand up on their own.

It doesn’t help much though, that all the animated figs are top heavy.

I brought up McFarlane, because he’s big on detail, and pushing the boundaries. Super7 thinks retro is cool, and sure, retro ideas are cool, retro tech, is balls.

Flynn is the kinda douche twat that thinks it’s cool to own a rotary phone.

Last edited by TommyT; 03-08-2020 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:12 AM   #845
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Yeah, I think NECA falls in that same camp. Their figures look amazing but I find the pose-ability to be severely lacking. When I got my set of '90 movie turtles I was really surprised how ecstatic everyone was with them. Yes, they look amazing in the package but once you pull them out and try to get any sort of action pose out of them you'll realize how limited they really are.

It always cracks me up when people post shots of their movie collection fighting in the diorama. It's a bunch of barely bent knees, 60-degree elbows, and straight backs. Dynamic, these figures are not.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:58 AM   #846
teemu
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
For the older collector, who isn’t in diapers in a sandbox, better sculpt comes before playability.

That Spawn is beautiful.
I don't buy statues and I am that older collector. Mcfarlane could easily make them with good articulation and great sculpts, but he all he cares about are statue "action figures". He is talking about making his figures better? Well, he is doing the same thing he has already done before in 90's. Static "action figures".
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:58 AM   #847
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I'll take this over a 5PoA statue any day

Spoiler:

Give that sucker a wired cloth cape and we're golden. He's probably even cheaper then the upcoming KS Spawn.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:41 AM   #848
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
I'll take this over a 5PoA statue any day

Give that sucker a wired cloth cape and we're golden. He's probably even cheaper then the upcoming KS Spawn.
Yesssss.....
God I don't want to rant about McFarlane toys, but talk about the most overrated toy company in history. But if they would churn out an articulated Spawn line of merit, I'd probably be in.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:19 PM   #849
j3h
Hench Mutant

When Super 7 gets to Mikey, do you want the updated second head to be also be teeth clenched/angry or to be something more jovial/fun-loving/goofy?
j3h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:28 PM   #850
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemu View Post
I don't buy statues and I am that older collector. Mcfarlane could easily make them with good articulation and great sculpts, but he all he cares about are statue "action figures". He is talking about making his figures better? Well, he is doing the same thing he has already done before in 90's. Static "action figures".
Articulation breaks aesthetic, there’s just no getting around it. Most of us are not actively playing with our toys, but I get the toy photography buyer wants mire than McFarlane offers.

I’ve opined before, but if I must again, Super7 is wasting plastic AFAIC.
I always felt Playmates created garbage, then and now. Eyebrow helmet clinched it. It’s clearly aimed at the ugly sweater crowd, and their obnoxious smugness.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:06 PM   #851
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3h View Post
When Super 7 gets to Mikey, do you want the updated second head to be also be teeth clenched/angry or to be something more jovial/fun-loving/goofy?
A more joyful second head would be a good idea for Mikey.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:13 PM   #852
italianice388
Stone Warrior

i understand the complaints about super7 and the shredder head. still, i think that bebop sculpt is one of the best, if not the best, that's ever been done. i personally don't need it to be over-articulated either (actually the less the better for me imo). i kind of like this line as a statue-esque homage to the original toy designs. will look hot on a shelf.
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:26 PM   #853
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
i understand the complaints about super7 and the shredder head. still, i think that bebop sculpt is one of the best, if not the best, that's ever been done. i personally don't need it to be over-articulated either (actually the less the better for me imo). i kind of like this line as a statue-esque homage to the original toy designs. will look hot on a shelf.
I'm with you. I just love what Super7 is doing with their Ultimate Turtles line.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:14 PM   #854
Lordmylar06
Stone Warrior

Quote:
It’s clearly aimed at the ugly sweater crowd, and their obnoxious smugness.
Says the obnoxiously smug dude in a thread about something he's stated he doesn't like but for some reason keeps coming back to trash on it.
Lordmylar06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:35 PM   #855
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
I have the Superman, the comic styled one, and yeah, it sucks ass. You’re not wrong, the articulation is terrible, but I don’t think that is indicative of the Brand as a whole.
Wouldn't honestly know, since so far I've only gotten those three (and am still waiting on a comic book Batman). I got the two animated-style ones first, so I figured the top-heaviness might be the main problem since all that "beef" up top is just too much for those scrawny legs and stupid ball-jointed ankles to handle, and that *is* a problem but lo and behold, the Action Comics #1000 Superman, despite being much better as far as proportions, can't stand up either. So, so far I'm 0 for 3 on McFarlane DC figures not requiring a base or stand. But as I said, I do love the overall look and even the feel of the figures, mostly. I kinda like how the elbow and knee joints are so snug, almost ratchet-like. Total opposite of DC Direct and their "Don't touch 'em, they're feeble" joints.

So I wouldn't say that the figure "sucks ass" at all - I'm not gonna do a YouTube video on them because they're so brand-new and I'm trying hard to lean more into a "retro" vibe, but I'd still rank all three fairly highly overall - but there were definitely some puzzling choices made as far as the articulation, and it's a real shame because I like almost everything else about the figures.

I recently received a Storm Collectibles "deluxe" Hulk Hogan figure, which has very similar articulation to the McFarlane DC figures, including the ball-joint ankles and such, and it stands perfectly fine in just about any position. Those cost a bit more than $20-25, but not a whole lot more, so I'm not sure why they were able to nail the ankles so well but McFarlane couldn't. My only problem with the Storm Collectibles figures is that the swappable parts come off a bit TOO easily, which I assume was to prevent the plastic breaking or cracking (it's also not a "toy" for play), but everything pops right back in with no fuss and it looks fantastic in any position. It's just annoying that McFarlane's stuff couldn't hack the ankle problem, but I've heard/seen that they're taking feedback on the first wave very seriously, so hopefully there will be some improvements as time goes on.

I mean anything's possible. The first series of "Primal Age" DC figures pretty much fell apart if you looked at them funny, but the second wave was put together much better. So I guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm not SUPER disappointed, but a little bit. And as I said earlier, it just makes me snicker to see Todd being so flippant about other companies and what they do when his stuff isn't perfect either.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 05:56 AM   #856
Otter
Stone Warrior

I'm old enough to remember when McFarlane redefined the marketplace. But they dug their heels in when that same marketplace shifted to a preference for super-articulation, and they became irrelevant, despite great detail. Their Fortnite figures seem to be an acceptance of what the market wants, and Todd appears to have some interesting ideas that may shake the industry up again.

If his updated versions of his own figures catch on I'll definitely grab a Medieval Spawn. I would love an updated Angela, but I don't see that happening. The Maxx is still one of my favourite figures that I would also be all over, but again, I don't see it happening.

The short story here is that, for me, it's still nostalgia driven, whether it's "modern sculpting/articulation/paint apps" updates of classic figures like TMNT Ultimates, or the vintage styling of the ReAction figures. I'm not a toy snob, I just like what resonates with my inner child.

Last edited by Otter; 03-10-2020 at 06:26 AM.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 03:29 PM   #857
EddieNES
Stone Warrior

Hey I just got laid off today so I canceled both my 4 pack preorders on these with BBTS. Letting anyone know if they wanted to snag them in case they were sold out.
EddieNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 03:35 PM   #858
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordmylar06 View Post
Says the obnoxiously smug dude in a thread about something he's stated he doesn't like but for some reason keeps coming back to trash on it.
^Wears ugly sweaters.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:36 PM   #859
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieNES View Post
Hey I just got laid off today so I canceled both my 4 pack preorders on these with BBTS. Letting anyone know if they wanted to snag them in case they were sold out.
aw man. so sorry to hear that dude. hang in there - i hope you find a new job soon!
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 06:20 PM   #860
frank_one
Mad Scientist

A message from Brian Flynn, founder of Super7
https://super7.com/blogs/news/super7-during-covid-19