The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 03-08-2023, 08:35 PM   #21
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2 View Post
I've seen the kickstarter and some of its just so pricey. I thought about the 3rd cover by Sim. I even thought the 2nd one but why get whats essentially a redo of the same cover to the original comic? I even thought the option for all three of Sims covers but it gets costly. I'm leaning to getting one cover, maybe the 15 trading card set. Then maybe Pieces of Turtles 8.3 since I didn't get the other ones that came out before. I thought about the covers from the Mirage artists but I'm also in line of thinking they didn't really have much to do with the original TMNT 8 if so, in a smaller capacity. Lawson wasn't involved but Dooney and Lavigne were in the inking and lettering respectively. I've even been thinking about Bisley's cover. But these kickstarters get so costly. I missed out on Sims ''Spawn #10 remaster''. Even thought about the Cerebus #1 and #2 remasters but at $15 each, geez. Thinking just making this spend less as possible I guess.
I over-bought what I want and will sell what I don't want to make up for it. I've just accepted that's how the hobby rolls.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 01:02 PM   #22
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Reminder that the order window is down to the last 30 hours:
Thursday at 10:00 PM EDT

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 04:41 PM   #23
teacher fan
Random Punk

Since the initial sale apparently did well, the remastered Cerebus crossover is available again. The copies are cheaper than initially, and this window will close on April 28th; so NOW is the time to get it!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/t...ring-cerebus#/

Last edited by teacher fan; 04-18-2023 at 04:47 PM.
teacher fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 02:10 PM   #24
Jeff
Stone Warrior

just got mine in the mail today! I got the jim lawson cover and it looks fantastic! haven't opened it yet, but when i do i'll take some pics and post them here.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 08:54 PM   #25
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Got my copies today! Did a couple quick write ups on TMNT Entity:

https://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2023...-remaster.html

https://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2023...rtles-8-3.html

The Remaster looks great and I love the Michael Dooney and Lawson/Lavigne covers I got. But Pieces of Turtles 8 #3 is the real treasure in all this. Colossal interview with tons of photos and sketches and other things I'd never seen before. It can get maybe a little meandering (it is SO LOOOOOOONG) but it's very honest, candid and Sim and Eastman really seem to be enjoying the experience of reminiscing on things.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 10:16 PM   #26
HotJuicyBurgers
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
Got my copies today! Did a couple quick write ups on TMNT Entity:

https://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2023...-remaster.html

https://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2023...rtles-8-3.html

The Remaster looks great and I love the Michael Dooney and Lawson/Lavigne covers I got. But Pieces of Turtles 8 #3 is the real treasure in all this. Colossal interview with tons of photos and sketches and other things I'd never seen before. It can get maybe a little meandering (it is SO LOOOOOOONG) but it's very honest, candid and Sim and Eastman really seem to be enjoying the experience of reminiscing on things.
Anyway you could add the interview somewhere? Didn't even know the pieces of turtles 8 was a thing, let alone there are 3 of them.

I snagged the Dooney and Lawson cover for the remaster, I will say it looks better than I expected.

http://bootd.wordpress.com/
HotJuicyBurgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 12:25 AM   #27
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Hopefully my copies (ordered a few of the variants and the PoT8 #3) won’t be long in arriving then.
Old 08-18-2023, 12:58 AM   #28
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Eh. Does anyone have like an extra Lawson cover version they could part with? I missed the window for this.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 02:36 AM   #29
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Eh. Does anyone have like an extra Lawson cover version they could part with? I missed the window for this.
They overprinted most of the variants to allow for damages, lost in mail etc and to round up to a nice figure. Available here:

https://waverlycomics.com/home/p/tmnt-8-wnlr7
Old 08-18-2023, 06:55 AM   #30
bjaxx87
Foot Soldier

Did you guys receive any shipping information for your copies of the remaster? I didn't hear anything so far.
Old 08-18-2023, 07:01 AM   #31
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Yes, received mine this week with the Dooney cover and the impressive supplement "Visions of 8!"

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 08-23-2023 at 08:07 AM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 08:05 AM   #32
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaxx87 View Post
Did you guys receive any shipping information for your copies of the remaster? I didn't hear anything so far.
I got the campaign updates that discussed the status of the books printing and shipping, but did not receive a unique tracking number.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 08:18 AM   #33
IMJ
Emperor

Geeze - 40 variant covers. Add that to your TMNT Mirage collection, omg. The Archie variant is pretty awesome.....
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 12:49 PM   #34
bjaxx87
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
I got the campaign updates that discussed the status of the books printing and shipping, but did not receive a unique tracking number.
I see, thanks. I backed at Indiegogo and there hasn't been a single update so far.
Old 08-18-2023, 02:20 PM   #35
Jeff
Stone Warrior

Quote:
i think they were selling extra as recently as last week, not sure if any lawson's were left, though.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 06:26 PM   #36
Powder
So tired of this place

At one point, I was going to have a piece of art involved in this book. Unfortunately, they had way too many folks involved & some of us got cut at the end. Oh well. Still an honor to have been thought of!

On another note, do the variants listed for sale include the supplementary content Pieces of 8?

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 03:36 PM   #37
Mayhem
Foot Elite

No, all separate afaik
Old 08-27-2023, 05:25 AM   #38
teacher fan
Random Punk

So I got my copy of this "remastered" comic yesterday. Cover and paper were decent enough quality. It was also sturdy thick "paper", and not that glossy stuff most modern comics use. The back of the comic only had 4 pages of "new" material. A letter Kevin Eastman wrote to Dave Sim back when they were working on this comic, some old sketches; and a never released piece of Cerebus and the Turtles made in 2012 between Kevin Eastman and Dave Sim. Everyone who ordered this comic also got Cerebus and TMNT "trading cards" and a TMNT/Cerebus postcard. They look cool... although for the cards: I doubt if anyone is really going to be actually trading these. I'll just keep them nestled with the comic in it's plastic case I'm putting it in.

As for how good the "remastered" quality is... it's just about as good as anything IDW did when they re-released the old Mirage comics (this very comic is also already in IDW's second ultimate TMNT collection). However, this is the first time this specific issue has been re-released as a "single floppy" in it's original black and white since it first came out; so that's something. To me, this is only something worth getting for the fun covers, and for the novelty.

Another interesting thing to note is that the copyright section says how this specific issue is jointly owned by Dave Sim and Viacom. Apparently Dave Sim and Mirage's old agreement was either of them could reprint this comic however they saw fit; so I guess Viacom has honored that agreement. However even that original agreement seems to have some grey area, as many people who co-created certain comics with Dave Sim didn't reprint their collaborations for many years... until around 2009 when Dave Sim suddenly publicly said it was cool. Although, creating new covers with NEW artwork featuring the Turtles seems to be stretching whatever that original agreement was... so maybe it's best to just view this reprinting as a "fan project" that just happens to have official people involved.

Last edited by teacher fan; 08-27-2023 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-27-2023, 10:40 PM   #39
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher fan View Post
As for how good the "remastered" quality is... it's just about as good as anything IDW did when they re-released the old Mirage comics
That bad, then?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 07:59 AM   #40
teacher fan
Random Punk

Quote:
That bad, then?
It didn't look bad to me. I held up my IDW "Ultimate Collection" and newly reprinted TMNT #8 comic right next to each other for comparison. From my perspective, both reprints look exactly the same (only the "Ultimate Collection" pages are obviously bigger). However the new reprint comic is printed on strong sturdy un-glossed paper, with a new thick cover. So it's definitely made to last. At the very least, it's definitely better quality than it's original printing.

As I dig deeper into the history of this reprint project, Kevin Eastman definitely appears to have been involved with it (or at least gave his official blessing). It's hard to say if the people in charge at Viacom were aware of this project, or if they even cared. But like I said in an earliest post... selling new covers with new artwork of the Turtles on it is where this comic enters the "grey zone" of legal territory. That being said, there truly are some amazing covers attached to this project.