The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 06-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
MikLeo
Thug

IDW's "no kill" policy

I read that IDW wont allow the turtles to kill. Any info on the subject if its true or not?
MikLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
Tazi
Mad Scientist

IDW is kind of toned down in violence compared to mirage, that's true, but we don't really know yet, where exactly the limits are, or are we?

where did you read it btw?
Tazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

For the record its only the Turtles who don't kill, the villains can kill obviously. We did see Yoshi and his sons murdered by Shredder in Japan.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior

This question has been danced around several times by the editor and writer. Some suspect Nick/Viacom have issued such a policy, but my guess is more likely that Nick selected a creative team that already isn't too interested in having the turtles kill. In Waltz's latest video interview, he more or less confirms that they don't want their heroes killing. He is correct in his assertion though, that it is appreciated that at least they attempt to address the issue, albeit to varying degrees of success. Of course, it's still not completely clear whether it is a strict "no killing ever" policy, since they currently have the "Destroy Shredder Manifesto" in place, so perhaps there will be exceptions.

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=42532

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
For the record its only the Turtles who don't kill, the villains can kill obviously. We did see Yoshi and his sons murdered by Shredder in Japan.
For the record, OP says that in his initial post...
Old 06-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
snake
Disgusting

What about foot soilders? They've been knocked around in a few issues.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeweed101 View Post
What about foot soilders? They've been knocked around in a few issues.
Knocked around, yes, but the topic is about whether the turtles are allowed to kill.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
Knocked around, yes, but the topic is about whether the turtles are allowed to kill.
Yeah, I know, but can the turtles kill any foot soilders? I mean, they can still be killed if its shown off panel. For example, Donetello knocks a foot soilder to the wall with his Bo, the foot soilder slumps over. It wouldn't be violent but still implies that he's killed.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikLeo View Post
I read that IDW wont allow the turtles to kill. Any info on the subject if its true or not?
This is a huge issue that has been teased since the beginning! Its the biggest problem I have with the series since it won't clarly say the turtles are not murderers. The TMNT don't kill as that was exclusive to the black and white comics at the very beginning and I truly hope it stays that way. Its a divisive issue upon fans at least on this site. I will drop this comic if a turtle does the same that a villain would and slay an opponent but others are waiting on the edge of their seats for it to happen. Its divivded mostly in camps of Other Media vs B&W comics. I believe it goes against the ethics of the turtles and what they stand for but other actually don't think it is a core value of what makes the TMNT.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #9
corvus
Stone Warrior

It never shows the foot ninjas suffering from seizures and PTSD after getting knocked unconscious by a giant mutant turtle with nunchucks.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #10
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeweed101 View Post
Yeah, I know, but can the turtles kill any foot soilders? I mean, they can still be killed if its shown off panel. For example, Donetello knocks a foot soilder to the wall with his Bo, the foot soilder slumps over. It wouldn't be violent but still implies that he's killed.
Bobby has confirmed that they haven't killed any Foot soldiers, just knocked them out. Plus, it's been touched upon every once in a while making it clear that they "walk the path of peace" and it's a struggle enough to decide to kill someone who is a legitimate threat, let alone a Foot soldier flunkie who they can easily take out without killing.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #11
Powder
So tired of this place

Though I enjoy violent turtles in the right place & time (vol. 3, Bodycount), I don't really care either way about this alleged policy. The IDW turtles are awesome but they are admittedly a little soft, so I'm fine with them taking a more peaceful path. If they do start to cross that line though, I hope it's just. I don't want it to become a sudden thing, it should be eluded to. There should be a 'sensible' mindset about making that choice to off their opponents, such as letting someone go who ended up killing a person they care for and from then on deciding not to let those with malicious intentions go free.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #12
Cipher
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Though I enjoy violent turtles in the right place & time (vol. 3, Bodycount), I don't really care either way about this alleged policy. The IDW turtles are awesome but they are admittedly a little soft, so I'm fine with them taking a more peaceful path. If they do start to cross that line though, I hope it's just. I don't want it to become a sudden thing, it should be eluded to. There should be a 'sensible' mindset about making that choice to off their opponents, such as letting someone go who ended up killing a person they care for and from then on deciding not to let those with malicious intentions go free.
I think it's fine narratively, but it's already been an issue in terms of believability when you have characters with bladed weapons fighting their way through hordes of opponents without taking a life. Those were the situations in which the Mirage Turtles drew blood most of the time as well -- they weren't wanton murderers, and with a few notable exceptions, usually only killed when surrounded in a do-or-die situation.

I do hope it's something the creative team at IDW is in full control of, though with the amount of black blood we've been seeing lately, I suspect there's some mandate from higher up that things not get too (literally) dicey.

Last edited by Cipher; 06-01-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #13
drewizzle88
Stone Warrior

I thought they had killed before, an example I could remember was in issue 12 I thought Leonardo killed this women. But I guess not?

Spoiler:
Old 06-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #14
ToxicRevolution
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewizzle88 View Post
I thought they had killed before, an example I could remember was in issue 12 I thought Leonardo killed this women. But I guess not?

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Considering that's Karai and she's a major part of the City Fall arc... No, he didn't kill her.
ToxicRevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #15
drewizzle88
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicRevolution View Post
Spoiler:
Considering that's Karai and she's a major part of the City Fall arc... No, he didn't kill her.
I don't guess I realized that was her, just remember back when I read the issue I was surprised he killed a woman, damn I'm an idiot!
Old 06-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #16
Weapons@theready
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I believe it goes against the ethics of the turtles and what they stand for but other actually don't think it is a core value of what makes the TMNT.
I want to know where you get your idea of Turtle Ethics
Weapons@theready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #17
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewizzle88 View Post
I don't guess I realized that was her, just remember back when I read the issue I was surprised he killed a woman, damn I'm an idiot!
Unless Leo mastered the Iron Headbutt of Death, I doubt that would have killed her anyway.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #18
Half Sh3ll Hero
Foot Soldier

I wouldn't mind a few justified killings... as long as they were few and far between. The Mirage Turtles are bad ass. But I like the tone that the IDW Turtles sets. If only we could have a balanced medium of both.

Half Sh3ll Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #19
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Unless Leo mastered the Iron Headbutt of Death, I doubt that would have killed her anyway.
That made me lol.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:45 PM   #20
beardcore84
Foot Soldier

Splinter has taught the turtles that no violence shall be used unless absolutely necessary. He is wrought with self conflict over even having a "shredder must be stopped policy". I'm SO glad the turtles don't kill, because it would lower then to their enemies level, and also, if and or when they do kill shredder etc or someone does die, not necessarily from being murdered, it will make it a much bigger deal.
beardcore84 is offline   Reply With Quote