The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 11-19-2021, 08:57 AM   #1
sdp
-

The 2020s

Anyone else really excited for this decade? I feel a level of freshness I had not felt in many many years. It seems like this decade people are more care free, we are moving from web 2.0 to web 3.0 so it's exciting as hell when it comes to tech but it's more than that.

In general people are tired of the politics and moving on that made the 2010s hell, you see less of it everyday as people are fed up and ready to move on (this forum is not a good indicator of that of course).

COVID will definitely mark a difference of the before world and after world similar to 9/11, but in this case for good. People are realizing not to be slaves to an office, I mean I just got a new job that understands that better than my old job, time is super important to me and as long as I get my work done they don't care either, no longer are we slaves to the machine.

If you look at fashion sense it's far more liberating, skinny jeans reign lasted too long and it's being replaced by baggier clothes again and people are more open to different styles in fashion when you go outside.

The good thing about living in major cities is you get to see all these trends before they happen in other places. I really get a sense of freedom like in the 90s, now this isn't a redo of the 90s, it's impossible and will never be recreated just like the 80s or any previous decade will never be back, just the attitude that is the same.

I do think geek culture will stop being cool in the next few years as well which is a good thing, it'll go back to being uncool and dorky. At least the current state of geek culture of collecting cape superhero stuff and having a huge pokemon/retro gaming collection.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 09:40 AM   #2
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Maybe a little at first, but now... not really. It had sounded good, with "2020" sounding kind of futuristic and all that, and kind of seemed like it should have been a tiny bit "special" (for no particular real reason) as the next time people see a likewise repeated number we'll all be gone...but then the world went to hell and my feeling about it all for the time being kind of tanked.

Though kind of have hopes that 2022 will be good and revive it. (With my b-day on a 22nd I've waited a long time for that one and if things are still the same old mess of these last two/few... )

But if skinny jeans will FINALLY go away and I can get a normal boot cut back, then count me in.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 09:45 AM   #3
Coola Yagami
Overlord

**** no. Most of us will not survive the 2020s or be shadows of our former selves.

The 2020s will be the decade where we'll either have a civil war over the government pushing us too far, the states will separate or we all lose our freedoms and become slaves to the social credit system, pretty much becoming China 2.0.

This decade is gonna suck unless we get rid of the powers that be.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 11:32 AM   #4
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I am very interested in the 2020s because in todays day and age, a ton can change in 10 years. Even 100 years ago in the 1920s, the world completely reshaped itself with the balance of world powers shifting, the great depression, technological advancement etc, so just imagine how drastically things can change now compared to just a century ago.

Some of my predictions are as follows:

1. That the power of the United States and European Union will weaken over the course of the decade, with the virus already having hit their economies hard since these globalist countries rely majorly on immigration.

2. Governments across the world will implement stricter regulations on citizens as a result of the pandemic and also due to overall deteriorating health in many countries due to rising issues like obesity and alcoholism, which will far exceed the cost and become a greater issue than "the erasure of freedoms".

3. Significant population growth in Africa and Asia, but population decline in Europe, North America and Oceania which will be attempted to be solved with immigration but that might not be possible due to future variants of the virus. Even if the immigration does happen though, there is the potential that it will allow for countries like China and India to have even bigger spheres of influence in foreign countries due to people from their own countries making up a significant percentage of immigrants in the West.

4. Rapid technological advancement in the military in preparation for a future cold War, but even with this, many countries are already experiencing shortages in military manpower so conscription is very much a possibility as this decade progresses and more and more people leave the military, making the losses irreplaceable unless the governments of the world step in and enforce mandates.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 01:08 PM   #5
IMJ
Emperor

Cool thread. I hadn't given much consideration to "the decade" on any holistic level, but it's neat to read some of this with some positive spin that feels authentic rather than bolstered by phony or toxic-positivity.

Now that you've got my gears turning about this as a topic a bit, I think the space travel prospects over the next nine years, as well as the possibilities that we are now at a real threshold of finding any kind of biological life elsewhere is pretty exciting for this decade.

So is the growth of widely adopted fin-tech which has the potential to change lives but also bring free markets to anyone bold enough to embrace them. A backbone of what makes the country great now very prolific by making the concept interactive to literally any class of single-user without needing someone else to do it for you. I love that.

I also think this decade will make personal, off-grid renewable energy cheap and mass adopted enough to proliferate even more. There are already arrays of solar cells on top of many, many houses in my neighborhood and I'm hoping the price points make something like the "fully shingled solar roof" easily adoptable for most people really soon. I don't want solar cells. I want the Tesla Roof. I want to be energy independent and even to sell excess energy back to ComEd as a source of passive-income.

Super cool thread, and all of those things I posted there aren't wishful thinking. They are all literally one stretch-goal away.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 07:15 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

2010-2020 didn't seem to change much besides some improvements in phones/computers, so I don't know if we'll see much difference this decade.

I mean if you were to travel back in time to say 2011...would you really say its much different than now? That was 10 years ago. Just a slightly older iphone, there was still streaming and blu-rays (albeit a bit more expensive), videogames just go back to the PS3/360 and Wii era...it doesn't feel like a much different world from now.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 08:28 PM   #7
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Predictions/Forecasts that I have for the 2020's decade:
  • * I think that the climate will worsen, both societally/socially and literally. People will not be able to solve their politics thoroughly, and that will ultimately lead to a nigh-irreparable environment. Our society will fracture into various states/countries.

* Superhero media will start to wane in popularity, and then eventually die off. The mainstream audience will realize that such media are uniform and unrealistic. Thus, the viewers will recognize the tiring tropes/clichés, and the media will run out of steam.

* People will get tired of wearing tight clothing, and will go back to donning looser wear. Revealing/Sheer clothing will also be out of fashion.

* Society will make several advances towards technology/holography. We will have flexible phones, realistic virtual reality, and four dimensional holographics. Worldwide motion sensors will also be a technological possibility.

* Various countries will engage in Water Wars. Things could get worse from there.

* American media will have less cultural influence. International audiences will be weary of western mass media, as they don't tend to portray other countries' cultures very well. As a result, websites such as Twitter, Reddit, and Instagram will be banned on account of containing selective media bias. Non-western countries will not tolerate/accept American influence.

* Relating to the above, Non-western European media will gain more cultural influence. Already, East Asian countries are making their mark musically, visually, and socially. Other countries will start to the participate by making out their own media, and hoping to find an international audience market.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 01:48 AM   #8
Sumac
Banned

If 20 and 21 years are any indication - it will be a horrid decade.

As for predictions - I don't make them and don't like them, since there is too little data to base ay predictions on.
Like, who could have predict Chinese Flu and devastating effect it has on the world? Or annexation of Crimea and war between Russia and Ukraine? Those things were unthinkable and yet here we are.

So no predictions from me.

My only hope is that technological advancement will continue to make life better, more people will be computer literate to avoid state monitoring and that this stupid culture war will be over, without commies getting to power and completely demolishing Western world.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 08:35 AM   #9
sdp
-

Well it's not a predictions thread, more of how you guys felt about the decade which I do feel excited about despite it not having the best start, but I do think covid's influence will be big and in a positive way. My positivity is because of the things that I see around me.

As far as politics, the doomsayers sound like jehova's witnesses. I mean politics have always existed and will continue to exist and things will continue to happen, but in general I think we hit the peak of polarization.

We have a lot of emerging technology that is in the final stages and maturing. Crypto, metaverse, AI, 5G etc. It's not that this is new but it'll hit the mainstream soon. We didn't really see the influence of smart phones until the 2010s despite me owning an iphone since 2007. But just like that changed the world the new tech will change other aspects.

The previous decade always spills into the new but that doesn't mean it's exactly the same, it'll already be 2022 very soon so we're entering the defining moments of the decade. It's hard defining eras, I didn't know how to define the 2000's until fairly recently. I think the 2010s will be defined by smart phones/social media/politics/geek culture.
Old 11-24-2021, 10:38 AM   #10
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
The 2020s will be the decade where we'll either have a civil war over the government pushing us too far, the states will separate or we all lose our freedoms and become slaves to the social credit system, pretty much becoming China 2.0.

This decade is gonna suck unless we get rid of the powers that be.
There is still hope for the West (with West, I mean any country ready to stand up for democracy and freedom against totalitarian-like ideas).

Spoiler:
A couple of years ago, a lot of companies from Western countries moved production to the PR China because of cheaper labour. As machines and robots now gradually take over jobs, that doesn't matter anymore, allowing Western companies to return.

If I ran a company without any employees, I would rather be in a Western country. If taxes are too high, the money can be transfered to a low-tax country, like Monaco (just make sure all tax planning is carried out the legal way, I don't encourage to break any laws). While there are moral issues with tax planning, this is still better than letting the PR China dominate the world with its totalitarian-like ideas.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 06:13 PM   #11
Prowler
Emperor

I barely keep track of time anymore. And it's not like I care about what's popular. I never paid attention to fashion or any of that stuff.

Technology? The evolution of it seemed more noticeable each year back in the 90s and the 2000s than it's been in the last 10 years. More powerful phones and tablets are coming soon?

I don't think that far ahead. Who knows what will happen by the end of the decade.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 07:02 PM   #12
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Will electric scooters substitute bikes in the next ten years?
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 03:04 PM   #13
sdp
-

I'm also seeing less pop culture/geek t-shirts. I've been seeing a lot of high leg bodysuits . Always matched with ripped mom pants.

I hear less people talking about the latest smart phones as well, that trend seems to be dying, no one cares. I keep seeing more and more solar panels around houses and businesses as well.

What trends are you guys noticing?
Old 12-20-2021, 04:15 PM   #14
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
What trends are you guys noticing?
I've noticed Increased awareness of natural environment and the importance of preserving our Ecosystems, which I hope grows till the point where serious action is taken. If a young girl like Greta Thunberg can spread so much influence about these issues, it makes me optimistic about the future.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 12-20-2021, 04:19 PM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
If a young girl like Greta Thunberg can spread so much influence about these issues, it makes me optimistic about the future.
Mostly she just seems to be spreading laughter, I've noticed. I know she's brought me more than a few chuckles over the last couple of years, even guffaws.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 04:27 PM   #16
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Mostly she just seems to be spreading laughter, I've noticed. I know she's brought me more than a few chuckles over the last couple of years, even guffaws.
Some people sure seem to love laughing at kids who are worried about humanity's collective future. Isn't that just wholesome and hilarious?

Old 12-20-2021, 04:30 PM   #17
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
How DARE YOU! say that about her.....
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 04:48 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Some people sure seem to love laughing at kids who are worried about humanity's collective future. Isn't that just wholesome and hilarious?
She's not a kid anymore so I'll laugh at her all I want. Though it's not her fault. Mostly the funny part was how the leftist media propped her up at the beginning, citing her autism as a "superpower," giving her like unique mutant abilities to focus on the "climate crisis."
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 04:58 PM   #19
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
She's not a kid anymore so I'll laugh at her all I want.
Really kind and caring dude. Wave around that freedom and liberty like a 10 ton battering ram.

Old 12-20-2021, 05:01 PM   #20
sdp
-

Like her or hate her Greta has been a huge influencer when it comes to raising awareness and gas brought in tons of monetary support to lessen the effects of climate change.

Quote:
I've noticed Increased awareness of natural environment and the importance of preserving our Ecosystems, which I hope grows till the point where serious action is taken. If a young girl like Greta Thunberg can spread so much influence about these issues, it makes me optimistic about the future.
That's a great trend as well, I think it's mostly the US politicized it so much, it's the only country outside of China and India that actively ignore it. All other countries have embraced it faster as well because they've had more environmental problems and it's going to cause more and more problems if nothing is done about it.