The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 01-15-2019, 12:50 PM   #301
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Yeah, and half of OotS problem was that it simply came second. (The other half of course being its own badly written story, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
Today is all about the money, absolutely nothing else. Not just for the Turtles. The bigger the company is, the less they care. We, as consumers, should give our money to smaller company, better people.
Makes me wish fans could all be shareholders in the property... Might make film makers a bit more willing to take the general consensus a little more seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I'll never understand the recent trend of people hating origin stories. Historically, they're usually the best and most interesting story in a characters' entire catalog; it's generally downhill from there, or at least meandering and repetitive.

I mean, I guess I can almost understand the, "But I've seen it a thousand times!" perspective, but... I'unno. They're necessary. ((shrug))
I dunno, simple boredom and the film industry's really high likelihood of effing it up just to be different if it's a franchise that has been done in film at least once already?

Can't trust these people anymore... They all seem eager too run off with some big, ridiculous idea of how to make something good/cool/new/whatever when they could not give less of a rat's ass about a franchise in their hands and don't even get why some of their ideas may be terrible.

And PD... Focusing mostly on making things explode, be flashy and fast paced, adding expensive cars, building a movie around one action scene etc., is REALLY not enough. Being as superficial about it as possible is NEVER going to be enough.

I still REALLY really think PD's safest bet, if we're stuck with this hack of a company, is to just time skip forward, keep an origin recap very brief if they must go there, and tell a new story about some other time in the Turtle's lives post-Shredder. Can't trust these people to not twist and screw up what already exists so it may be safer to go with a whole new adventure for them... So long as it is one that suits them.

Some who want to see the same tales over and over may complain, but it would otherwise be hard to judge and nitpick an entirely new story anywhere near as much, provided the characterization is done well enough. In some way I wish they'd just do a good live action crossover with another property as it would force them to go with a more original story.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:27 PM   #302
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I still think Travis Knight is a good candidate. He can put a lot of heart into TMNT. Which is what it needs.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:28 PM   #303
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I still think Travis Knight is a good candidate. He can put a lot of heart into TMNT. Which is what it needs.
Based on one movie, you're that into this guy?
Old 01-15-2019, 02:33 PM   #304
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Based on one movie, you're that into this guy?
If you seen Bumblebee. You would understand.

That movie didn't have any huge stakes. It was more a smaller story and it didn't have any world ending implications.

The movie shouldn't center on these big action sequences. But rather on the more personal stuff. You can have some big action scenes. Also they need to amp up the martial arts.

Last edited by TigerClaw; 01-15-2019 at 02:44 PM.
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:25 PM   #305
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
I could go on for days. Point being, ANYthing is stupid if you go into it refusing to play along with the premise.
Obviously anything in the superhero genre can be picked apart - it's called fantasy for a reason. But even alot of those examples you laid out at least have character driven reason reasons or moral lessons baked into the premise. TMNT's origin is just.. freak, random happenstance. Too many illogical things pile up for me to take seriously. I mean, a part of me loves how nonsensical it all is, but the other part of me, the writer part of me, reads it as the giant mess it is. To each their own.

Quote:
This has also gotta be the Very First Time I've talked to anyone who's actually read more than three comics in their life who has put TMNT at the top. I mean, you do you, but... having read at least some of each TMNT series, I frankly don't think ANY of it is very good. ((Shrugs))
Nah, not gonna try to defend my tastes - as that's all it is. Something about TMNT speaks to me above the rest, what can I tell ya.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:35 PM   #306
Leo656
The Franchise

That's fair, no problem. It's just that in my experience, most people who list TMNT as their favorite comic book, generally don't read other comic books, so their list is really short.

I think the TMNT origin in itself may seem like random nonsense, but usually (depending on which version) it sets up future events and plants the seeds for stuff like the whole "perpetuating the cycle of violence" thing. But it depends upon which version we're talking about.

But yeah, on the whole it's one of the sillier pieces of fiction. Could be why it's so hard for anyone to take the entire premise seriously. It was more or less created as a goof; if they knew the whole thing would be around for decades and that so many future stories would be telling and re-telling it, and having so many things depend on it... they most likely would have told the entire story quite differently, indeed.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:01 PM   #307
sdp
Megan Fox = April

This movie isn't real until we get a teaser poster. It has development hell written all over it.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:21 PM   #308
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I HOPE it doesn't end up like that Space Jam mess where it sounds like they've had a hard time even getting their act together. (Granted it's only the same writer, so I hope the issues aren't on that end?)

Mostly right now I just look forward to having something more to discuss than just 'Rise' eps that generate very little discussion. So I hope it doesn't just end up in production limbo going nowhere. Though if a start production gets delayed I won't be surprised.

Quote:
That's fair, no problem. It's just that in my experience, most people who list TMNT as their favorite comic book, generally don't read other comic books, so their list is really short.
Probably people who aren't much the comic reader type, but like TMNT so their default fave is them. (That's basically me, but I still haven't read much so far.)
Old 01-15-2019, 08:52 PM   #309
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Part of me feels like what they're doing now, is simply scraping together what was left of the last series and trying to get SOME money back, hoping they can finagle a reboot under the gun and at least get SOMEthing out before the original deal expires. It's usually a situation where "We need Movie X done and in theaters by Y, or else a bunch of guys in suits don't get a bonus." It's all already on paper, so the actual movie itself (and the quality thereof) is an afterthought in the big picture of "Bitches Gots Ta Get Paid."

With the timing of it being so "smooshed", whatever movie they're racing to get started on was almost certainly, originally, the third BayTurtles film. The timing makes sense; it's a little wider gap than there was between the first two, but still close enough so that it feels like it's right where the third movie would go. Plus, we already know there was a sequel penciled in based on all the unfinished business at the end of the second one, and they were talking trilogy from the beginning.

This is almost certainly NOT a "start from scratch" job; this is an "Amazing Spider-Man comes out on the date we more or less had Spider-Man 4 slotted for, but it's a reboot Because Reasons and we did the best we could with 5 minutes of prep time to start an entirely new franchise, please don't be mad at us" type of situation.
If they do use elements from their scrapped TMNT 3 then I dread to think what we'll get.

I remember seeing a video of Megan Fox at one of the various international premiers of Out Of The Shadows being asked about the direction of a third movie and what she replied with was so specific that I have difficulty believing she made it up on the spot. I imagine she'd been involved in conversations about where the next movie might go.

It went something like Splinter send the turtles to China to learn some new Karate skills and Casey and April are on their own have look after New York while their gone. Presumably the turtles would be back to save their day with their new skills by the time Kra(a)ng invaded again.

Yeah, I could see that being retooled into a reboot.

Quote:
A friendly reminder, that I and only I liked ASM, and that movies that are made under these conditions are almost unanimously awful.
Can't say I'm a huge fan but I liked it better that the remake that was TMNT 2014.

Quote:
It's just that in my experience, most people who list TMNT as their favorite comic book, generally don't read other comic books, so their list is really short.
I imagine most comic fans wouldn't necessarily have some of the best made comic books as their favourites. Their top 10 lists would mainly be Marvel & DC superhero stories with maybe possibly Watchmen, Sandman or The Walking Dead in there

That's because we have more an attachment to the mainstream heroes and their worlds. That's nothing to be ashamed of, caring about characters is why their stories have such an impact even when it's not technically the best thing ever written.

The early Mirage TMNT had a charming homemade quality, they were successful because of Eastman and Laird's enthusiasm for the material bled through the material. But it should also be pointed they did get better pretty quickly (when they started to take things seriously) and some genuinely really good work was done on them.

If I saw a Top 10 comics list that had Return To New York, The River, Soul's Winter City at War or eve Blind Faith on there I'd be surprised that they'd know those stories but not at all surprised that anyone would consider them good enough for a Top 10 list. Any of those stories would probably be legit better than whatever Flash or Green Lantern story probably also made the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
I agree with Wildcat Andrew. It only takes one director who cares for and respects the property to bring change, to be the difference. The most recent scenario would be Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy. The previous two movies were simply cash grabs and toy marketing. Nolan made the difference and gave us a great trilogy.

The Sam Rami spider-man movies are also similar. The movie rights, but Sam Rami still showed respect for the property and gave us a couple of good movies.
Getting a good director is one thing, getting a good director with clout is another.

Someone that has authority so that when the studio demands they can't do something because this is for kids or you have to include certain characters, vehicles and settings because we have toys to sell can turn round and say "calm down. I've directed x,x and y. You know I make good movies that a huge hits and then your toys will sell themselves".

I don't think Hollywood's elite directors are brimming with closet TMNT fans but I could easily see some people being open minded enough to give it a shot. Problem is they now not only have to work with Platinum Dunes but be in charge of what is currently a dead franchise that needs reviving. If we're lucky we could get a really talented up and comer it's just they are not going to have the power to fight back on whatever bs ideas are being thrown at them.

Last edited by Galactus; 01-15-2019 at 09:07 PM.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:08 PM   #310
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Only problem with the scrapped 3rd film theory is that they announced way back in the end of October 2016 that a third would not be happening, only four months after OotS released. And a new writer was hired and announced only last June, who was unrelated to the project. I wouldn't put it past them to feed him ideas or have a wish list, so to speak, but I doubt any of a third had actually been penned already if they axed a third so soon.

Hopefully they left this writer alone to come up with something on his own...

edit: Though I'd take anything Megan Fox says with a grain of salt, that girl is kind of way out there. After all, this is the woman who moved houses because she believed her unborn child wanted her to.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:46 PM   #311
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
Today is all about the money, absolutely nothing else. Not just for the Turtles. The bigger the company is, the less they care. We, as consumers, should give our money to smaller company, better people.
Yeah, because, OT and the first movie has been created due to desire of artists to express their artistic freedoms and not because Playmates saw multimillion franchise in the making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Makes me wish fans could all be shareholders in the property... Might make film makers a bit more willing to take the general consensus a little more seriously.
This is the worst thing that can happen to a franchise.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:22 PM   #312
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Yeah, because, OT and the first movie has been created due to desire of artists to express their artistic freedoms and not because Playmates saw multimillion franchise in the making
True. The main reason was obviously to make money. What I was saying is that back then it wasn't just that. There was more passion and respect for the creators. Maybe I'm wrong.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:41 PM   #313
Wildcat
Foot Elite

If this is some kind of “3rd before license expires” I honestly do not mind if they give the writers things to include. As long as they’re allowed to use them how they want. Nothing wrong with giving guidelines.

I’m sorry but the original story with the alien origin and Colonel Schrader might have actually been better. Despite whatever changes it might have had.

I mean we really could not handle some alternate version given everything already in pop culture?

Designs aside (and humor), everything in the 2 PD movies actually fits with the turtles...yet it just comes off so poorly. I can’t even put my finger on why exactly. It’s just not entertaining.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:43 PM   #314
Galactus
Foot Elite

The main difference between 1990 and now is that TMNT was owned by two creators that gave a crap.

Yeah once they licensed it out for merchandising for money they let a lot of **** fly that they were not entirely faithful with their creative vision but we know that they also used what little authority they had to veto some of their more drastic ideas and keep things broadly inline with how they wanted the franchise to be.

The movie in particular was made by an indie company and honestly didn't have a whole lot of merchandising tie-ins since a lot of the licencees looked at their "darker" approach and not being 100% being like the cartoon and didn't think it would be hit. Obviously it was and the sequel suddenly had a bunch of toys.

Not that we should entirely dismiss the commercial aspects of this. Surely the best starting point to sell this movie series is to make good movies. It's not like Platinum Dunes or Paramount ever set to make crappy movies but they did and even the "successful" one didn't make as much Amazing Spider-Man 2 which basically killed that series.

Platinum Dunes is currently trying to rehabilitate it's image with better quality output. I'm actually kinda surprised that they are still interested in the movie series that cost them other projects (and the money they would bring in) in favor of continuing the franchise which is the poster child for why people think they suck but hey if think they can do better the great. Problem is I trust they know what is better with these characters and frankly their approach doesn't seem all that different from last time.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:19 AM   #315
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
This is the worst thing that can happen to a franchise.
Maybe try not to take everything said in conversation so seriously...

On the other hand, why is it wrong for fans of a thing to have a little power in the treatment and direction of a franchise, but not for producers and executives who couldn't care less and often just make terrible decisions assuming it will get them earnings.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:47 AM   #316
bgb1018
Foot Soldier

I have high hopes for this new movie for the simple fact that I desperately want the franchise to do well on the big screen. I'm no fan of Michael Bay's and in a perfect world I wouldn't want him anywhere near the franchise again, but if he believes in the franchise enough to put his name back on it then I'm going to keep an open mind and hope for the best.

Obviously, I was disappointed with the latest movie installments since they changed so much about the turtles and their story but I can admit that the movies were fun movies.

I really hope that the new movie takes a more serious and gritty approach like the 1990 film and the comics but we all know that most likely won't happen, so for now I'm going to keep my hopes up enough to be excited that the franchise is going to continue in some aspect for now. Hell, maybe they'll surprise us.
bgb1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:50 AM   #317
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgb1018 View Post
I have high hopes for this new movie for the simple fact that I desperately want the franchise to do well on the big screen. I'm no fan of Michael Bay's and in a perfect world I wouldn't want him anywhere near the franchise again, but if he believes in the franchise enough to put his name back on it then I'm going to keep an open mind and hope for the best.

Obviously, I was disappointed with the latest movie installments since they changed so much about the turtles and their story but I can admit that the movies were fun movies.

I really hope that the new movie takes a more serious and gritty approach like the 1990 film and the comics but we all know that most likely won't happen, so for now I'm going to keep my hopes up enough to be excited that the franchise is going to continue in some aspect for now. Hell, maybe they'll surprise us.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:22 PM   #318
Purse Grabbin Puke
Stone Warrior

A few things I need from this movie to have a chance.

Needs to be set in 1980's New York. New York is as big of a character as the Turtles are. New York now is not some "crazy" place. But in the 80's, if a Turtle in a trenchcoat rolled across your cab hood you wouldn't even be shocked.

Needs a serious tone but obviously there needs to be humor throughout.

They need to be 5'3 and under. They could just shrink the actors down in post if they can't get anyone small enough.

Real people in real suits with CGI faces.

No Shredder until the very end and you can do a quick view of his blades and that's it to tease the 2nd movie. Kind of like Batman getting the joker card in Begins.

Baxter Stockman should be the lead villain (also wouldn't mind Krang coming in half way through to be the REAL villain).

They need to take the origin seriously. This needs to be fleshed out and needs to set up the 2nd movie where Shredder is the villain. There NEEDS to be a connection between Splinter and Shredder.

April should be older, and a better actor than Megan Fox.

This should not be a "save the world" movie.

I do not think they need to follow one story from the comics or cartoon. They should make an original story, but using established characters, and staying close to their source is needed.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:29 PM   #319
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purse Grabbin Puke View Post
April should be older, and a better actor than Megan Fox.
What? Megan Fox was the oldest April in film. She just turned 32. Paige Turco was 26 when she did TMNT II. Judith Hoag was 22 when she did TMNT (1990)!
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:01 PM   #320
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

People who harp on Megan Fox in the Platinum Dunes movies really need to take a break.

She was one of the best things about those movies. Which is not saying much at all. The movies were terrible and did a disservice to the four Turtles, but sure, harp on the human character.

If we could get a movie with great Turtles and a great story and intelligent writing, and it had a terrible April, we'd still be lightyears ahead and getting far more than we deserve.

Tags
just.. why?, kill me now, papenbrook the troll, thedefinitionofinsanity, vote of no confidence