The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 01-23-2018, 05:41 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Kentucky school shooting: 2 students killed and 17 others injured

Another school shooting in USA:

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/01/23/u...ing/index.html

Man, why does this keep happening?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:11 PM   #2
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

No one really knows.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:03 PM   #3
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Because it's hard to get access to good mental healthcare and it's easy to get guns
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:15 PM   #4
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Another school shooting in USA:

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/01/23/u...ing/index.html

Man, why does this keep happening?
Because scumbags take those "gun free zone" signs as a challenge.... And Teachers & other staff cannot be armed... or properly teach... or bitch slap kids when they get out of line.

Criminals think twice about attacking anyone who can fight back. Easy targets are easy after all.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:24 PM   #5
plastroncafe

I take it back, apparently we do know why these things happen.

Man, the truth is way more victim-blaming that I'm strictly comfortable with.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:39 AM   #6
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
Because scumbags take those "gun free zone" signs as a challenge.... And Teachers & other staff cannot be armed... or properly teach... or bitch slap kids when they get out of line.

Criminals think twice about attacking anyone who can fight back. Easy targets are easy after all.
oh conservacapz don't you ever change. Ya lets let teachers hit kids and have guns Let me know when your NRA check comes in the mail

Old 01-24-2018, 05:45 AM   #7
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Man, the truth is way more victim-blaming that I'm strictly comfortable with.
Because, ultimately it is what it is?
Not in a sense, that teachers should have guns - this is idiotic, but in a sense that those shooter are psychopathic losers, who lose their minds, blame and kill everyone for their troubles, because, their mental state is so fragile they can not face the fact that a lot of their problems are of their own doing and they should improve themselves or seek help instead of killing others for their problems.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:55 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

As someone who has younger siblings in public school, it is terrifying to know this could happen literally anywhere at any time.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:16 PM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Because it's hard to get access to good mental healthcare and it's easy to get guns
I don't know that a lot/any of these shooters are guys that shopped around for a good psychiatrist or mental health doctor and then instead went out to buy guns to murder a bunch of people because their health insurance wouldn't cover it.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:20 PM   #10
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
As someone who has younger siblings in public school, it is terrifying to know this could happen literally anywhere at any time.
If I were still studying HS I'd be somewhat alarmed, I remember when I was in Jr. High and HS, we used to have "intruder" drills we all f-cked around during them since they seemed like something we'd never do, but every time these things are happening closer and closer to where I went to school. I'd be even more alarmed if my future kids were in HS right now.

All it takes is one dumb person and access to guns. The problem is I knew plenty of people like that when I was in HS. Hell a recent graduate from my city was recently arrested for animal abuse which 4chan helped track down funny enough. There were plenty of people like him and all it takes is one bad day for them to say "**** it".

Same with teachers having sex with students, the fantasy of all HS boys but I've now read stories of teachers from schools that I went to happening.

I remember as an angsty teen I wanted this t-shirt:

Back then I don't think it was that much in bad taste, but I definitely do now, you can probably fill up the tour dates with only one year while this one needed almost a decade, Scary.

This Onion article couldn't be more true:
‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:28 PM   #11
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

It wouldn’t hurt to have smaller class sizes and better training for teachers. So teachers can have daily interactions with students not just lecture. Get to know the students personalities and life struggles. Be trained to know the signs of wanting to hurt others. Know when a professional referral is necessary and not let at risk kids go unnoticed.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:29 PM   #12
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
It wouldn’t hurt to have smaller class sizes and better training for teachers. So teachers can have daily interactions with students not just lecture. Get to know the students personalities and life struggles. Be trained to know the signs of wanting to hurt others. Know when a professional referral is necessary and not let at risk kids go unnoticed.
Unfortunately that sort of thing doesn't immediately help kids pass standardized tests, and that's kind of where public education is focused right now.

Well that, and depending on where you happen to be, keeping the lights on.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-24-2018, 01:33 PM   #13
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Unfortunately that sort of thing doesn't immediately help kids pass standardized tests, and that's kind of where public education is focused right now.

Well that, and depending on where you happen to be, keeping the lights on.
Staying a float, money and test scores are priority in other words. Safety is a far far away dream. Sadly it would have to be like many schools a day being shot up for something to radically change.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:36 PM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I say mandatory firearm training for teachers (then they need to go to the range at least once a quarter), pistol kept in a secure lockbox in the classroom accessible only to the teacher (whether it's a key, combination, biometrics, whatever is most secure and makes the most sense). It's not a perfect solution but it would save a lot of lives.

As is? The moment a gunman enters a school, they can basically walk around, go wherever, shoot whoever for at least a good 20-30 minutes or more completely uncontested before there is even the slightest chance of any police arriving at the scene to assess the situation and intervene. Those aren't good odds and that's not a good system. That's a "fish in a barrel" system.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 01-24-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:39 PM   #15
sdp
-

That's absolutely crazy but I'll stop right there.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:42 PM   #16
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I say mandatory firearm training for teachers (then they need to go to the range at least once a quarter), pistol kept in a secure lockbox in the classroom accessible only to the teacher (whether it's a key, combination, biometics, whatever). It's not a perfect solution but it would save a lot of lives.

As is? The moment a gunman enters a school, they can basically walk around, go wherever, shoot whoever for at least a good 20-30 minutes or more completely uncontested before there is even the slightest chance of any police arriving at the scene to assess the situation and intervene. Those aren't good odds and that's not a good system. That's a "fish in a barrel" system.
Then you would have more teachers gone wild news stories. Teachers shooting up students. Or shootings happening when substitutes are on duty. It’s already to late as soon as a gunman steps on school property the damage is done.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:46 PM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Then you would have more teachers gone wild news stories. Teachers shooting up students.
Why on earth would you think that?

Quote:
Or shootings happening when substitutes are on duty.
The odds are pretty good the other 10+ teachers in the school are not substitute teachers on the same day. And by this example, why not demand the substitute teachers get the same training? You want to substitute teach in X District, you better be hitting the range, etc..

Quote:
It’s already to late as soon as a gunman steps on school property the damage is done.
That's a horrible, defeatist attitude. I mean, it's absolutely the case right now but surely we can do better that just having everyone hide under desks throwing "thoughts and prayers" at the shooter(s) marching down the hallways.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:48 PM   #18
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Why on earth would you think that?

The odds are pretty good the other 10+ teachers in the school are not substitute teachers on the same day.

That's a horrible, defeatist attitude. I mean, it's absolutely the case right now but surely we can do better that just having everyone hide under desks throwing "thoughts and prayers" at the shooter(s) marching down the hallways.
You would still have an old west shootout at school traumatizing many people. Early prevention is best. It’s about saving all the lives not just a few.

At least guards, metal detectors and bullet proof glass. Don’t banks have those things? Money in a vault is better protected than human life.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:50 PM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
You would still have an old west shootout at school traumatizing many people.
You'd rather these many people be potentially dead than potentially traumatized? If you're a student in the middle of a school shooting, chances are you're probably going to be traumatized anyway. And getting teachers proper firearm safety and training would avoid an "old west shootout."

Quote:
Early prevention is best.
Of course. But failing that... just lay down and cross your fingers? Really?
Old 01-24-2018, 01:52 PM   #20
plastroncafe

More effective to put a fence before the cliff, than keep an ambulance at the bottom of it.
Quote:
Quote:

Tags
andrew likes tags, plastron hates white men*, plastrons tears, second pc