The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-12-2021, 12:26 PM   #11
Leo656
The Franchise

We'll see if it ever happens. So far? Hasn't been the case in Ever.

It's not a brand that thrives, it merely endures. If people cared, it'd be as big as Batman. Batman gets sh*tty handling all the time. Bad comics, bad movies, bad cartoon shows... and yet, Batman is "evergreen".

TMNT, on its best day, would need a rocket up its ass to get that kind of popularity. It's not JUST that most versions of the TMNT property since the 2000s have been lousy (although that definitely doesn't help a damn thing), it's that like it or not, only ONE version of the brand has ever been overwhelmingly popular and successful, and that version ended 30 years ago.

Even the "good" (or "Less Bad") versions, like 4Kids or the 2012 cartoon, barely left any mark on the pop culture landscape. They didn't "sell". They did "okay", but even 2012 has totally become an "Oh, yeah, that show existed" kind of thing, mostly-forgotten as soon as it ended.

You say "people" (in general) "adore" the TMNT concept.

I think that's proven horsesh*t. What people "adore" is generally a cartoon they watched 30+ years ago when they were 7, and otherwise they don't give a sh*t. People do NOT care about TMNT. SOME people care a lot, just like MOTU or Thundercats or anything else. "People", in general, though, don't give a single sh*t about anything but that One Version.

Even something like Transformers is like a thousand times more popular and relevant than TMNT is. Which sort of proves that presentation or "products put out by people who really care" means f*ck-all nothing, because you can't get much worse than how THAT brand has been presented over the last 20 years, yet it's completely bulletproof.

I'd like to admire your enthusiasm, I just find it at odds with objective reality. The only people who "adore" the TMNT concept are on this forum and you could fit all of 'em on a single-decker bus. Everyone else only cares about FW Nostalgia and nothing else.

If I saw people caring about Ninja Turtles, I'd say "People care about Ninja Turtles". But that's not what I see and hasn't been for a long time. If/When I see it becoming a "goldmine" rather than a vehicle for selling $60 action figures to people suffering a midlife crisis, then trust me, I'll say so.

But I don't THINK that's ever going to happen. If it was, it would've happened by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Where you are absolutely wrong is that people don't care unless it's FW. The opening weekend of the Platinum Dunes movie did very well. It wasn't marketed as Fred Wolf - like at all. It was a gritty, loud, Michael Bay action movie from the looks of things. And people were willing to eat it up until they realized just how ****** it tasted and the box office dropped. But the interest was there.
I don't think I'm wrong about that at all. If anything, that movie being so abysmal only pushed people further into the FW comfort zone and rejecting anything else. Which is why the sequel went full-on FW, only to fail because - once again - push comes to shove, people DON'T care about TMNT.

Viacom's biggest failure is in TRYING to make it some Big Giant Blockbuster thing when it ISN'T that. The more they try and MAKE it that, the more they screw it up.

Look, since the 90s we've had Sh*t Reboots and Great Reboots with TMNT, and reboots in-between. What they ALL have in common is that regardless of approach, and regardless of quality, they've ALL under-performed against expectations.

You can read that data any way you choose. What it tells ME is, "TMNT was 'popular' from 1987 through 1992, and since then it's a relic that gets trotted out for a Nostalgia Pop but nobody who wasn't there for the first round actually, truly gives a sh*t."

Again, when the mythical TMNT reboot comes out that sets the world on fire, I'll admit people give a sh*t about Ninja Turtles. I don't think they do, and nothing I've seen YET has me convinced that this brand is "popular" to the level of being "a goldmine".

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Leo656; 07-12-2021 at 12:34 PM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote