The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 07-12-2015, 03:09 PM   #1
Mew
Banned

Sonic the Hedgehog's Future

So, recently we have had a bunch of crappy Sonic games. I wonder what his future will be like. I think it's dead. It seems like Sega is beating the dead horse into the ground, which sucks because Sonic could be good again. All you really have to do is go back to the original formula: Going fast in 2-D. It could be like the New Super Mario Bros. series. Same overall gameplay with a few new elements and updated graphics. And forget Sonic Boom ever existed. That sucked. Or they could make an actually good 3-D Sonic game. That's not impossible, but Sega seems to think it is, seeing how bad the games are.
Mew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 03:21 PM   #2
Turo602
The King of Kings

The Sonic Boom series is terrible but the last real Sonic game was pretty good. It's a shame people were really mixed on Lost World because that's a direction I'd love to see them stick with in the future.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:25 PM   #3
Leo656
The Franchise

They already did Sonic 4. It was "old school" and great and nobody cared.

Honestly, they could make the greatest Sonic Game Ever like tomorrow and it won't change anything. The franchise's reputation has been irreparably damaged , to the point where even the good games are dismissed out of hand. Forevermore, it's just going to be a franchise for kids full of games of poor-to-average quality, with an occasional game that's actually Good, like Generations, that nobody will care about because "It's Sonic, Thus Crap".

Anyone wants to "save" the franchise, they'd better build a time machine. It is what it is, now.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 03:32 PM   #4
sdp
-

"recently" we've had crappy Sonic games. Aren't pretty much all games starting with Sonic Adventure considered crap by the general consensus? So since 1999 they've been crappy. You can even go back as far and say Sonic 1-3 are the only good Sonic games since Sega whoring out sonic is nothing new, just look at all the Sonic games released in the 90s. In fact it was recently that Sonic was getting "better" with "colors/generations" bringing good word of mouth. With Sega focusing on mobile games now Sonic's future doesn't look bright but you never know, I read an interview last week that Sega was learning a lot from Atlus and how a quality game can sell itself and that maybe they haven't taken as much care of their properties as they should've, who knows if any of that actually comes to fruition.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 03:35 PM   #5
oldmanwinters
Overlord

With Sega's state as a company these days, who knows? Personally, I really enjoyed Sonic Lost World on Wii U in spite of its steep learning curve.

But if you are curious about Sonic's future, it has been explored once or twice...

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 03:35 PM   #6
Powder
So tired of this place

If Sonic's arms continue to be blue, there will be no future for him!!!!1!

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 04:00 PM   #7
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
If Sonic's arms continue to be blue, there will be no future for him!!!!1!
They need to get rid of the green eyes and bring back his pot belly!!!

View my sketch work!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 07-13-2015 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:14 PM   #8
sdp
-

Actually that Sonic's future is no longer canon

I actually don't understand the hate for Sonic getting blue arms, it's not that radical of a change.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:34 PM   #9
Mew
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by <TmNtRoX-1997> View Post
Actually that Sonic's future is no longer canon

I actually don't understand the hate for Sonic getting blue arms, it's not that radical of a change.
I agree. I like the tan arms more tho.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:14 PM   #10
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Heh, kids have been coloring them wrongly for years! I suppose it was only fitting that it got made alternative canon!

BTW, yeah, I've read the current Archie comic post-Genesis/Worlds Collide, so I know the continuity has gotten a major reset. But I think the Mobius 25 Years Later project was always intended to be "one possible future among many." Honestly, I hate that whole storyline. It just felt like Ken Penders's own personal playground to develop his anthropomorphic echidna fan-fiction universe.

View my sketch work!
Old 07-12-2015, 06:39 PM   #11
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
It's a running gag because Chris-chan tried to start a boycott over it. Anyone jumping onto that bandwagon now doesn't realize they're being played for a fool.

Anyways, here's something to think about - Sonic was never very good. Just mull that over a bit.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:00 PM   #12
Powder
So tired of this place

I was making a joke based on that. I didn't think it would go over anyone's head...

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:03 PM   #13
Allio
Foot Elite

just ask Ken Penders about Sonic's future, he will more than welcome the time of day
Old 07-12-2015, 08:59 PM   #14
sdp
-

Oh, I thought it was a legitimate concern, I guess for some people it really is since I never caught any sarcasm or trolling in posts. I don't keep up with Chris-Chan, last time I read about him was when he broke his Sonichu bracelet or the time he went on a date only to be cockblocked by a guy in an outfit and those were years ago I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Honestly, I hate that whole storyline. It just felt like Ken Penders's own personal playground to develop his anthropomorphic echidna fan-fiction universe.
Which from what I read online it was exactly that. Never read any Sonic Archie comics but I still thought it was oddly amusing to follow that story, can't believe Archie's lawyers lost. wow.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:52 PM   #15
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

I don't know if anyone agrees, but I personally believe Sega should give the poor guy a break.

I get Sonic is a popular franchise, but considering the damages over the years, Sonic should be left away for a bit, at least game wise.
GoldMutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:12 PM   #16
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Last month, I went to the 24th Sonic birthday celebration at Sega Joypolis in Odaiba. It was nice, but the game they were mostly promoting was Sonic Runners (which I already had anyway). Jun Senoue from Crush 40 was there and the music was awesome and we ran into by chance and we got a photo with him and he mentioned us on his Twitter! I also bought a new Sonic bag and yse it for work. Anyway, there was a decent turnout.

IMO, I think that no matter what Sega does, the fans will NEVER be satisfied and I think it's because they don't know WHAT they want and the community seems to be divided. It feels like Sonic fans are all over the place.

"We want something new!" *get a new style game*
"We hate that! We want the old Sonic style back!" *Sonic 4 is released*
"That game was so so, we want something unique!*. *Sonic Unleashed is released*

Etc.

So yeah, I don't feel it's Sega's fault for Sonic's multiple directions...I blame the fans.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:17 AM   #17
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
IMO, I think that no matter what Sega does, the fans will NEVER be satisfied and I think it's because they don't know WHAT they want and the community seems to be divided. It feels like Sonic fans are all over the place.

So yeah, I don't feel it's Sega's fault for Sonic's multiple directions...I blame the fans.
The problem being that current day Sonic fans aren't Sonic fans because of the games and they simply aren't smart enough to realize that. People have nostalgia for the original games, but they're average at best. 2 is the best one (and my favourite) and half of that game is garbage. Because they have nostalgia for something that can't hold up, Sega makes similar and decent versions of that style of game - Sonic Advance, Sonic Rush, Sonic 4 (though this one has a lot of issues) and people aren't really feeling it, because...guess what? You can't recreate a feeling of quality that didn't exist in the first place. The people still clamoring for good Sonic games were children when the Genesis was out and they're asking for Sega to make something they've never ONCE done - make a great Sonic game.

They make "different" Sonic games in the style of Adventure, or Unleashed or whatever and the fans hate it, because it isn't well made or good enough. Why? Because they're fooling themselves into thinking Adventure of Adventure 2 were actually good games and not rose-tinted turds with semi-brilliant moments of automatic Sonic gameplay that pulled the wool over their eyes 15 years ago. Nostalgia (or sheer ignorance) won't allow people to realize their Sonic "holy grails", like 2,3,S&K and the Adventure series, actually aren't very good.

It doesn't help that every time Sega manages to do something decent with the series they find a way to completely ruin it. Generations is far and away the best Sonic game made in the last decade, perhaps of all-time, and the back half of that game is a f*cking train wreck! The last boss is among the worst I've ever played in ANY game.

Simply put, Sega caught lightning in a bottle with Sonic in the 90's. He was marketable, he was cool and he was backed up by a decent game that had enormous success based almost entirely on genius marketing, not because of quality. Mario became a huge success because the games were consistently excellent, not because Nintendo shoved him in kids faces and said "THIS IS COOL! THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT!" Now that Sonic is perhaps the furthest thing from "cool and marketable," Sega struggles to find any possible way to make him relevant to a general audience, hence nearly two decades worth of trash heap garbage with an increasingly irrelevant mascot slapped on it and confused fans who don't understand why Sega won't just make Sonic "good" again, when they've followed the status-quo and made those "good" Sonic games half a dozen times to absolutely ZERO fanfare.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:53 AM   #18
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I was making a joke based on that. I didn't think it would go over anyone's head...
Welcome to the Sonic fanbase!
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:55 AM   #19
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
The problem being that current day Sonic fans aren't Sonic fans because of the games and they simply aren't smart enough to realize that. People have nostalgia for the original games, but they're average at best. 2 is the best one (and my favourite) and half of that game is garbage. Because they have nostalgia for something that can't hold up, Sega makes similar and decent versions of that style of game - Sonic Advance, Sonic Rush, Sonic 4 (though this one has a lot of issues) and people aren't really feeling it, because...guess what? You can't recreate a feeling of quality that didn't exist in the first place. The people still clamoring for good Sonic games were children when the Genesis was out and they're asking for Sega to make something they've never ONCE done - make a great Sonic game.

They make "different" Sonic games in the style of Adventure, or Unleashed or whatever and the fans hate it, because it isn't well made or good enough. Why? Because they're fooling themselves into thinking Adventure of Adventure 2 were actually good games and not rose-tinted turds with semi-brilliant moments of automatic Sonic gameplay that pulled the wool over their eyes 15 years ago. Nostalgia (or sheer ignorance) won't allow people to realize their Sonic "holy grails", like 2,3,S&K and the Adventure series, actually aren't very good.

It doesn't help that every time Sega manages to do something decent with the series they find a way to completely ruin it. Generations is far and away the best Sonic game made in the last decade, perhaps of all-time, and the back half of that game is a f*cking train wreck! The last boss is among the worst I've ever played in ANY game.

Simply put, Sega caught lightning in a bottle with Sonic in the 90's. He was marketable, he was cool and he was backed up by a decent game that had enormous success based almost entirely on genius marketing, not because of quality. Mario became a huge success because the games were consistently excellent, not because Nintendo shoved him in kids faces and said "THIS IS COOL! THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT!" Now that Sonic is perhaps the furthest thing from "cool and marketable," Sega struggles to find any possible way to make him relevant to a general audience, hence nearly two decades worth of trash heap garbage with an increasingly irrelevant mascot slapped on it and confused fans who don't understand why Sega won't just make Sonic "good" again, when they've followed the status-quo and made those "good" Sonic games half a dozen times to absolutely ZERO fanfare.
I agree, Peanut. You put into words what I think of Sonic at the moment. I played the old genesis games for the first time in years recently. They're still fun to play, but they're not as good as I remembered them. I think their soundtrack makes them better than they actually are. Most of them were rushed out for release.

Last edited by Wesley; 07-13-2015 at 01:46 PM.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:59 AM   #20
Mew
Banned