The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-14-2019, 09:57 AM   #41
IMJ
Emperor

Oh ya, Attack On Titan is the other one I forgot to mention. They are on season 4 now, but the first season was still the best.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:27 AM   #42
CyberCubed
Overlord

Anime doesn’t count as cartoons.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:59 AM   #43
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Anime is essentially cartoons that originated from Japan, so yes it does.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:29 AM   #44
CyberCubed
Overlord

In the context of this thread, I would imagine people would think mainly of western animation.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:19 PM   #45
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
That's nitwit, argumentative nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
Anime is essentially cartoons that originated from Japan, so yes it does.
Simply stated for truth.

Quote:
In the context of this thread, I would imagine people would think mainly of western animation.
If that was actually your belief, then you could have added that to your nitwit, argumentative post above so as to make it more like conversation. Also, the quote below is taken from the very first post in the thread from the guy who started the thread.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon1982 View Post
Attack on Titan.
Voltron Legendary Defender.

Last edited by IMJ; 11-14-2019 at 12:33 PM.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:43 PM   #46
CyberCubed
Overlord

It’s pretty obvious that when people see the word “cartoons” in the title most people’s minds will think of western animation. I would only mention anime if either anime was in the title or they asked about Japanimation.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:52 PM   #47
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

If we are doing anime then I nominate

March Comes In Like a Lion

Ping Pong The Animation

Made In Abyss

Hunter X Hunter

Mob Psycho 100

Aggretsuko

Devilman Crybaby,
Old 11-14-2019, 06:15 PM   #48
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post

Made In Abyss
Yikes. A series that promotes pedophilia with underage kids and shows nude little kids is awful. I can't believe this anime didn't get banned in the west at least.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:22 PM   #49
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Yikes. A series that promotes pedophilia with underage kids and shows nude little kids is awful. I can't believe this anime didn't get banned in the west at least.
1. No it doesn't promote pedophilla

2. Dexter's Lab, Simpsons, Kids Next Door and Dragonball show nude little kids too so whats your point.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:01 AM   #50
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Quote:
It’s pretty obvious that when people see the word “cartoons” in the title most people’s minds will think of western animation. I would only mention anime if either anime was in the title or they asked about Japanimation.

They are the same goddamned thing! it's like saying a poodle is not a dog when they are obviously the same species as a pomernian and all.
Egon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:07 AM   #51
Slade
god status

[QUOTE=Egon1982;1825020]

Animation looks should not matter compared to good storytelling

You can't be about how an animated show looks vs good storytelling.

QUOTE]

This is the reason I don't watch newer cartoons. The art style used often just does not suit me. Ones that comes to mind are Scooby Doo Be Cool or even Rise. It looks lazy to me. That said, I like to draw with a lot of detail put into it. Personal preference.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 05:15 AM   #52
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

[QUOTE=Slade;1825694]
Quote:

QUOTE]

This is the reason I don't watch newer cartoons.
From which year do you define the beginning of newer cartoons?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:48 AM   #53
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

The ones that come to my mind right away are:

*TMNT (2012)
*Ducktales (2017)
*Big Hero 6: The Series

If Japanese anime were to count then I will also include:

*Sailor Moon Crystal
*Dragonball Super
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:44 PM   #54
Anarchistguy
Mad Scientist

Location: Canada (This country is too peaceful, Something's up...)
If we're gonna include anime, then I pick JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. I'm so glad Parts 1 and 3 FINALLY got proper adaptations.

"When my time comes, I wanna be buried face down, so those who don't like me can kiss my ass!"
Anarchistguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:46 AM   #55
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

[QUOTE=Slade;1825694]
Quote:

QUOTE]

This is the reason I don't watch newer cartoons. The art style used often just does not suit me. Ones that comes to mind are Scooby Doo Be Cool or even Rise. It looks lazy to me. That said, I like to draw with a lot of detail put into it. Personal preference.
You are like a food critic who only pays attention to how food looks and glosses how it actually tastes. Style over substance.

Sure it's nice to see decent animation when seeing a movie or show but like Tezuka, one of my fave animation makers said "a good story can save poor animation...but you can't save good animation for a poor story" which is one of my fave quotes.

Look at South Park for example, the designs on the show are the laziest and simplest, the actual animation is nothing special but doesn't matter to me or anyone else who enjoys it as it's a funny and well written series.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:49 AM   #56
CyberCubed
Overlord

The plastic flash animation look of modern cartoons turns me off. I loved the way cartoons were animated in the 90’s and early 2000’s that still look good to this day.

Look at Gargoyles that’s on Disney+ right now, the show came out in the mid 90’s and looks better than 90% of the cartoons of today.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:15 AM   #57
AquaParade
Banned

[QUOTE=Egon1982;1825949]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade View Post

You are like a food critic who only pays attention to how food looks and glosses how it actually tastes. Style over substance.

Sure it's nice to see decent animation when seeing a movie or show but like Tezuka, one of my fave animation makers said "a good story can save poor animation...but you can't save good animation for a poor story" which is one of my fave quotes.

Look at South Park for example, the designs on the show are the laziest and simplest, the actual animation is nothing special but doesn't matter to me or anyone else who enjoys it as it's a funny and well written series.
I may be in the minority, but I'd prefer most cartoons if they focused on animation over script. I mean, if you can reach the heights of The Simpsons or South Park, by all means, focus on story, but with the types of stories we typically get in say, a TMNT cartoon, yeah I'd take a boost to animation for the cost of losing something in the writing department, because at the end of the day, the stories aren't really doing much for me anyway.

Again, I'm probably in the minority. I only watch a handful of cartoons and most cartoons can't hold my interest for long, even if I do appreciate them on some level. Like I'd take TMNT cartoons that are 7 minutes long, with hardly any dialogue, if they upped the animation quality by 50%. Of course, it would probably fail spectacularly, but that's where my personal tastes are at.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:33 PM   #58
Coola Yagami
Overlord

If you mean the entire decade, def TMNT 2012.

I did enjoy Dragonball Super and other anime. But the Turtles are the only American cartoon I cared about, not counting reruns of Simpsons, Family Guy and American Dad.

Oh, and Rick and Morty.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:57 PM   #59
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Quote:
The plastic flash animation look of modern cartoons turns me off. I loved the way cartoons were animated in the 90’s and early 2000’s that still look good to this day.

Look at Gargoyles that’s on Disney+ right now, the show came out in the mid 90’s and looks better than 90% of the cartoons of today.
Well Gargoyles and Batman are story driven and so on.

And adult cartoons are actually good nowadays like Castlevania, Archer, Bojack Horseman, Rick and Morty and so on as they focus on good storytelling and writing. Castlevania is the closet thing to a modern day Spawn TAS, Archer is Danger Mouse for adults, Bojack Horseman is the next Duckman/The Critic/Simpsons (It's better than the rotting corpse of Zombie Simpsons which Simpsons should had ended in 2000), Regular Show is this generation's Rocko's Modern Life and so on. Rick and Morty is a worthy successor to Futurama.

Even My Little Pony FIM is good storytelling and pure excellence, it's like Tiny Toons/Animaniacs for this generation.

[QUOTE=AquaParade;1825955]
Quote:

I may be in the minority, but I'd prefer most cartoons if they focused on animation over script. I mean, if you can reach the heights of The Simpsons or South Park, by all means, focus on story, but with the types of stories we typically get in say, a TMNT cartoon, yeah I'd take a boost to animation for the cost of losing something in the writing department, because at the end of the day, the stories aren't really doing much for me anyway.

Again, I'm probably in the minority. I only watch a handful of cartoons and most cartoons can't hold my interest for long, even if I do appreciate them on some level. Like I'd take TMNT cartoons that are 7 minutes long, with hardly any dialogue, if they upped the animation quality by 50%. Of course, it would probably fail spectacularly, but that's where my personal tastes are at.
What about some of the cartoons i mentioned?

It seems your more on style than substance

Last edited by Egon1982; 11-18-2019 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:18 PM   #60
CyberCubed
Overlord

Thinking back on it from 2010 to now:

- TMNT 2012
- Young Justice
- Legend of Korra
- Avengers: EMH
- Wolverine and the X-men
- Samurai Jack the final season
- Star Wars Clone Wars and Rebels (more than half of Clone Wars is in 2010's)
- Futurama's revival

And uh...I think that's pretty much it unless I'm forgetting something? I like select skits from Teen Titans Go but I could never watch the full series, (I just go to youtube for the best/funniest eps), I stopped watching Rise of the TMNT about 10ish eps in, but I do intend to watch the show fully once it ends.

I'm not really a comedy person, so all these comedy shows I see people recommending from Nickelodeon, Disney, CN, or even the adult comedy stuff just flies over my head. I used to like the old comedy stuff from the 90's but I guess I just lost interest.

Tags
fredwolfleothebrony, leo656thebrony