The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 05-16-2021, 11:15 AM   #21
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
I'm sure there are people out there who would be more than happy to be able to sell their wife and their kids on ebay to live a more minimalist life.
Eh-heh...the husband section would also be plenty full I'm sure.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 01:17 PM   #22
CyberCubed
Overlord

The problem is what is the point of buying a ton of stuff if we're all going to drop dead eventually? Sure, buying things we like is fine, but after awhile it starts to become too much. As I said, we can't take our stuff with us into the afterlife after we die, so our family members will either just sell off or trash our collections of toys/videogames/comics/books/DVD's and blurays, etc anyway.

As I've gotten older I realized why am I accumulating all this stuff when we're all going to drop dead eventually?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 01:19 PM   #23
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The problem is what is the point of buying a ton of stuff if we're all going to drop dead eventually? Sure, buying things we like is fine, but after awhile it starts to become too much. As I said, we can't take our stuff with us into the afterlife after we die, so our family members will either just sell off or trash our collections of toys/videogames/comics/books/DVD's and blurays, etc anyway.

As I've gotten older I realized why am I accumulating all this stuff when we're all going to drop dead eventually?
Can't take it with you.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 01:31 PM   #24
Leo656
The Franchise

The point is to have fun with it in the meantime, slappy.

I mean if it's not getting you hard in the Here and Now, then sure, it's probably pointless. But if it makes a person happy then that's "reason" enough in itself.

My Dad was a near-obsessive sports card collector. Bought just bout everything that came out between 1987 and 2005 or so. I knew I'd "inherit" all of it eventually, despite the fact that I'm not into that stuff. I told him all I'd end up doing is selling it off since I have no use for them; he was like "That's fine; I'll be dead, I'm not gonna give a sh*t what you do with 'em, that's your business."

I still gotta go through all that stuff and re-organize it so I CAN sell it (it all got jumbled up in one of our many moves). Probably not actually worth much but I'll be able to get something just for the sheer mass of it. I got a guy who's gonna look at it for me, I just never got around to going through the stuff. One day.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 02:41 PM   #25
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
The problem is what is the point of buying a ton of stuff if we're all going to drop dead eventually?
What is the point of living if we're all going to drop dead eventually?
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 03:12 PM   #26
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
What is the point of living if we're all going to drop dead eventually?
The philosophy is getting too deep now for 90% of Technodrome registrants - especially the ones that need safe spaces and are hiding. You are going to scare them with existential dread and they might call you a racist for it.

Be careful.

Be.

Careful.....
Old 05-18-2021, 04:48 PM   #27
CyberCubed
Overlord

I've also noticed since I've stopped buying things besides a few videogames here and there how high the number in my bank account has been getting. Just by not buying things, the number goes up instead of down. It's a weird feeling, I'm not using that money to buy anything in particular (not counting the usual bills, or food, etc), and just seeing the number go up in my account is good enough for me.

Now I have a ton of money I have no idea what to do with. It's a very weird feeling.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:09 PM   #28
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Good for you, Cyber. You should consider investing a part of your money OR put them aside for your future android body
Old 05-18-2021, 05:43 PM   #29
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
them aside for your future android body

That is some future financial planning right there..... Now I want to banter with SDP about investing to include artificial body transfer....
Old 05-18-2021, 05:45 PM   #30
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
I've also noticed since I've stopped buying things besides a few videogames here and there how high the number in my bank account has been getting. Just by not buying things, the number goes up instead of down. It's a weird feeling, I'm not using that money to buy anything in particular (not counting the usual bills, or food, etc), and just seeing the number go up in my account is good enough for me.

Now I have a ton of money I have no idea what to do with. It's a very weird feeling.
How much do you have? Don't beat around the bush, boy. Dazzle us with your savings.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:48 PM   #31
sdp
Megan Fox = April

You're in step 1. Step 2 is investing that money to make yourself more money and you'll realize you've wasted your money all the time you weren't investing it and just let it depreciate in your bank account.

How much money would you have if you hadn't bought stupid **** and invested on bitcoin?
https://t.co/gbg4Kz2kCY
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 06:00 PM   #32
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
How much do you have? Don't beat around the bush, boy. Dazzle us with your savings.
Spoiler:
I have roughly 180k.

Don't spread it around.
Old 05-18-2021, 06:26 PM   #33
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Spoiler:
I have roughly 180k.

Don't spread it around.
That's a good start for the appropriate mutual funds in a brokerage account that you could get that money working, man.

The truth is that if you picked your own stocks and spread that money out nicely you could easily be looking at 4 - 6k a year in dividend income that you could spend on $#!( or reinvest in order to compound your money. 4k in dividends would come from common stock picks, but you could get jack it up there to 6k+ if you invested into REITS and BDC's as well. Maybe even 8k a year with 180 to start - and that's just in a dividend and earnings matrix before you even talk about growth. You could also seed a crypto account where places like BlockFi, Voyager and Gemini are paying high interest rates as well.

Your amount there is a good starting seed money to spread between both a brokerage account and a high-yield-crypto account, man. I'm not giving you advice, but rather just talking about the information.

Last edited by IMJ; 05-18-2021 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-18-2021, 08:11 PM   #34
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Spoiler:
I have roughly 180k.

Don't spread it around.
Thanks for sharing. Pretty snazzy. I hope you at least eat whatever you feel like.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:46 AM   #35
Wildcat
Foot Elite

To answer the question, no.

Wanting things doesn’t mean you’re too materialistic or shallow. It’s natural to want stuff in physical form even if just to admire. It makes your interests/hobby more personal. As long you can afford it and doesn’t get out of control (which would indicate a different problem).

If you know me I’m quite a conservative person. I don’t like splurging and I end up waiting for a lot things. My collection of toys/games is kind of big but it’s taken years to get. Some is from when I was kid. I don’t have room to display it all but it’s still important to me.
Old 06-18-2021, 05:17 PM   #36
CyberCubed
Overlord

Ironically enough I still buy mostly physical videogames. It's weird because I watch movies/tv shows digitally through online streaming, yet when it comes to games, I want to own a physical collection. Only time I buy digital games on consoles is when there's no other choice (or an older game is too expensive).

If I went all digital on videogames I'd really barely own anything. They're like the biggest physical collection I still have.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:08 PM   #37
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I went all digital with Nintendo last gen Wii U/3DS and I got burnt, nothing carried over or even any discounts and I can't sell them so it's just lost money. So for the Switch I'm buying everything physical and that way I can at least sell the games and get some money back. It's also a launch model so it's hackable so I tend to only buy games that I actually want to play online since those you can't pirate without being banned.

I had a big gaming collection spanning various consoles but then I realized I don't really play them and if I do I tend to find an emulator and play roms and even if you can argue it's not 100% perfect there aren't enough details there to make it worth having to keep all that stuff with you. So yeah, I just move on to the next system. Sure perhaps you can't emulate some recent consoles yet but it'll happen eventually etc. Of course with PC there's no issue of your games not being playable in 10 years, I'm all digital there and it's been no problem ever and will never really be.

For my minimalist gaming ways I decided to only keep one console that's the NES and any games I really absolutely love and a flashcart. I also keep one controller of each console since that's something you can't emulate. I did decide to keep a New 3DS XL since that's something that can't be emulated properly and since it's hacked I can play any of the 3DS/DS/GBA library natively. I haven't sold my Wii U yet though, I'm still unsure if it's unique enough to be worth it to keep it, 90% of its library is already on the Switch and unsure if it's worth keeping for 3 games that can't be played elsewhere that did utilize the screen. It's nice that it can play Gamecube/Wii natively as well as running SNES/NES/N64/DS through emulation just fine, it's also fully hackable.

I'm still a collector so I ponder these things, I just feel happier having a clean collection I am able to appreciate than hoarding a bunch of stuff despite wanting to be a completionist. It's really cool to see huge collections that have everything, whether consoles or turtles but I've been there and done that and it didn't give me enough pleasure and energy for the amount of space that it all requires.

I still have boxes worth of stuff to sell and it's such a hassle, at least it wasn't wasted money as if I had spent it on vices since I can at least make my money back. Some stuff sells for more some for less since not everything keeps its value but it more or less breaks even. It does hurt to sell some stuff, especially when you get so little that you wonder if you'd buy it if you saw it at that price online haha.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:39 PM   #38
CyberCubed
Overlord

I still have every Nintendo console and all the big franchises (Mario/Zelda/Donkey kong/Metroid, etc) of all. As well as key third party franchises like Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Castlevania, Megaman, Sonic games, Sony's franchises, etc.

I do sell off a lot of mid-tier third party games, especially modern games from like 2007 to now. I realized playing those games once is enough, especially the big open world games I have no time to play through those again. But I keep a collection of "classic" games, and key Nintendo and third party franchises. Only time I sell them is if they do a collection or HD remaster of an older game, then obviously I don't need the original copy if they make a better one.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:56 PM   #39
frank_one
Mad Scientist

I'm the same with girls. I went all digital with games and movies but I keep having physical girls.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:02 PM   #40
Coola Yagami
Overlord

IDK man... you only live once, and I'm at the point of my life where I can get whatever I want. If only back then as a kid I knew not to fret about that one Ninja Turtle toy I could never get, or that one game that sold out, or that one VHS tape that broke. Thanks to the internet, you can find and you can have it, even if it took a few years.

You can't take it with you, but I mean.... if you're dead anyway it's not really my problem anymore. I'm sure my gaming/comic/action figure collection will make someone happy after I leave this place.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote