The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-04-2022, 04:02 PM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Green Lantern: Beware My Power DC animated movie

Old 05-04-2022, 04:16 PM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

So basically... "What if John Stewart was Hal Jordan"? Lame. If they really want to do a solo John Stewart story why don't they just do a solo John Stewart story? Why the need to tear everything else down? This is like an "Emerald Blacklight."
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 06:00 PM   #3
neatoman
Emperor

Seems more like applying Kyle's origin to John to me.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 06:10 PM   #4
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Big fat "meh" from me. And I happen to like John Stewart (my fave is Guy though).
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 06:14 PM   #5
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstaff View Post
(my fave is Guy though).
A-f*cking-Men to THAT! ((Fist Bump))

Seriously, he's just The Best. "Yesterday's Sins". F*cking God-level stuff.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 06:16 PM   #6
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
A-f*cking-Men to THAT! ((Fist Bump))

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...9_Mar_1968.jpg

Seriously, he's just The Best. "Yesterday's Sins". F*cking God-level stuff.
Awesome! Glad you also appreciate him.

He really is the best!
Old 05-04-2022, 06:19 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Seems more like applying Kyle's origin to John to me.
But thrust into the Sinestro Corps War.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 06:21 PM   #8
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Big fat "meh" from me. And I happen to like John Stewart (my fave is Guy though).
Hal Jordan is my Green Lantern and the only one I want to read on his own. However, I like John Stewart as a character and is one of two characters that I think thrive as a part of an ensemble not as a solo feature. John Stewart is great support for Hal Jordan and is the best Green Lantern in the Justice League. He shines playing off others. On his own there is not much to tell and that is okay. That being said I am going to give it a pass.
Old 05-04-2022, 06:22 PM   #9
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Awesome! Glad you also appreciate him.

He really is the best!
He and I have a lot in common. Similar upbringing, similar attitude, similar philosophy.

People say that Batman is "the most realistic and relatable super-hero". Bullsh*t. Guy Gardner. Nobody else even comes close.

Superman and Batman will always be ahead on points for various reasons, but Guy Gardner will always be the sentimental favorite. I can't even lie, I love it whenever he gets to put either one of them in their place.

He's the greatest of all time.

Old 05-06-2022, 09:41 AM   #10
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Voice Cast has been released

Aldis Hodge to lend his voice to John Stewart. He is also playing Hawkman in Black Adam

Jimmi Simpson as Green Arrow, Ike Amadi as Martian Manhunter, Brian Bloom as Adam Strange, Jamie Gray Hyder as Hawkgirl, Mara Junot as Lyssa Drak and Banth Dar, Jason J. Lewis as Ganthet and Captain Kantus, Keesha Sharp as Vixen, Simon Templeman as Sardath and Console Voice, Rick D. Wasserman as Sinestro, Sunil Malhotra as Power Ring and Rannian Commander. Nolan North, meanwhile, provides additional voices.

https://comicbookmovie.com/green_lan...3601#gs.z4bl8l
Old 05-06-2022, 10:47 AM   #11
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Coming simply from a dramatic storytelling perspective, I'm at least optimistic that John Semper (the mastermind behind Spider-man The Animated Series) was a chief writer on this project:
https://www.facebook.com/makingofspi...73060211503875

Quote:
Sometimes I get messages from some of you asking things like "Why don't you make Disney do more episodes of your Spider-Man series?" or "Why don't you tell Marvel to continue your series?" Let me be clear on this: I don't have any special connection to Disney or Marvel, no more than you do. I can't "make them" or "tell them" to do anything. If Marvel or Disney wanted me to do anything, the request would have to originate with them, not with me. My phone line is open. They don't call. They regularly can find time to cannibalize my SPIDER-MAN animated series for ideas (like The Spider-Verse), concepts and toy designs, but, for reasons unknown to me, I am still a "non-person" to them. So much for them.
The people who HAVE called me over the last twenty-five years have been DC/Warner Bros. They called me to be one of the showrunners of the last two seasons of STATIC SHOCK, for which we were ultimately Emmy-nominated. They called me to write nineteen issues of the CYBORG comic. And most recently, they called me to do this...
Well, the secret is finally out. I am the co-writer, along with my good friend Ernie Altbacker, of the new GREEN LANTERN animated feature from DC/Warner Bros titled "BEWARE MY POWER". The trailer is in the comments below. Warner Bros issued the official press release today revealing the cast and creatives behind the movie, thereby releasing us all from our contractual bond of silence. This movie was especially hard not to talk about in the aftermath of the death a week ago of NEAL ADAMS whose creative work heavily influenced our film. I personally remember picking up Green Lantern/Green Arrow issue #76 back in 1970 and being totally blown away by Adams' and Dennis O'Neil's groundbreaking art and story. And, of course, Neal Adams was the catalyst behind the creation of JOHN STEWART, the lead character of our film, one of DC's first black super-heroes. This film lands on the 50th anniversary of the character's creation, and, coincidentally, this project marks my 40th year writing animation, granting me perhaps the longest-running career as a black writer in the animation business (believe me, I have the scars to show for it ??). I couldn't imagine a better project with which to mark that milestone. Working with this team has been a wonderful experience, and I am extremely thankful to everybody who made this possible, especially my long-time friends, producer Jim Krieg and my co-writer, Ernie (both alumni of my SPIDER-MAN: TAS writing staff). The film will premiere on July 22nd at this upcoming San Diego Comic Con, where it will be screened before an audience of over 4000 people with a panel to follow. If I find that I enjoy speaking before a crowd that large, I might decide to pursue a new career as the dictator of a small republic.
So, phooey on Marvel/Disney and HOORAY for DC/Warner Bros! This new movie is the first thing I've done in years that FEELS like what we achieved dramatically on SPIDER-MAN. And even though he's not in it, and even though you're all SPIDER-MAN fans, I hope you'll support this effort because DC has been a real champion of my work, I appreciate them, and I think you will love this movie!
'Nuff said!
John Semper
Producer/Head Writer
SPIDER-MAN: TAS

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 01:01 PM   #12
Avenger
Thug

Finally another green lantern animated movie!

It was really hard for the GL franchise on the screen (big or small) in the last few years.

Except for the GL TAS and two animated movie, we had nothing since Ryan Reynold's movie.

Hal Jordan appeared in few JL animated movies, but except for «*War*» it was almost cameos.

But now we'll see in the next months/years:

Beware my powers
Blackest night animated movie
GLC HBO serie

So I hope this is the beginning of a new shining time (no pun intended) for that part of DC's universe.

So yes, they give Kyle's origin to John but honestly, John's comics origin (and Guy for that matter) aren't that memorable either.
Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 03:12 PM   #13
IMJ
Emperor

John Stewart is a great character.... glad to see him get an animated entry. I've bought most of the GL animated flicks, I'll be in for this one too.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 03:25 PM   #14
Leo656
The Franchise

"Guy Gardner: Reborn" and the first 16 issues of Guy's solo book are some of the best books the 90s ever produced.

It's a shame Emerald Twilight accidentally ruined it just as it was getting really good. But eh. For that year and a half it was pure gold.

Old 05-07-2022, 03:51 PM   #15
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
"Guy Gardner: Reborn" and the first 16 issues of Guy's solo book are some of the best books the 90s ever produced.

It's a shame Emerald Twilight accidentally ruined it just as it was getting really good. But eh. For that year and a half it was pure gold.
Aww, man. Yeah. Huge agree on all of this.

I just really love Guy Gardner. As a little girl, I was super obsessed with Batman (thanks, BTAS), and he used to be my favorite character until I got older, and branched out to other DC titles. I found Hal Jordan overall dull (sorry, Hal fans), but Guy was exactly what I was looking for when it came to a character/Green Lantern. I just really loved how they wrote him, his backstory, his relationship with Tora (this is my one true pairing for DC, their love story is really touching to me), everything. Even his design is great because he has a very distinct look to him with the red hair and bowl cut, which they've changed at times but still.
Old 05-07-2022, 03:57 PM   #16
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Does Siniestro even have personal beef with Stewart, other than just wanting to kill all the Green Lanterns? I always thought his personal beef was with Hal, and every time I see Siniestro in an animated series or movie as the Green Lantern villain but the Green Lantern is Jon instead of Hal, I always get that pesky feeling that the movie/show/whatever really should have been about Hal but 'we got too many whiteboys in there, someone just HAS to be black'. Same with Star Sapphire, isn't her beef also with Hal?

I know they kinda get a free pass cause the normies don't know about the Green Lantern as much as they do Batman and the like. Like for many kids Jon Stewart IS the Green Lantern, Day One. I remember the normies being confused as to who the **** Hal Jordan was when announcing the failed live action movie and the articles asking 'why didn't they just use Jon?'

It would be the equivalent of Dick Grayson as Batman and him facing all the classic bad guys but without there ever being a mention or implication that Dick is the second Batman. As if Bruce Wayne never existed or never wore the cowl. Or hell, to better go with the theme, it would be as if David Zavimbe (Batwing) was Batman and no one ever mentioned Bruce.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 04:44 PM   #17
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Aww, man. Yeah. Huge agree on all of this.

I just really love Guy Gardner. As a little girl, I was super obsessed with Batman (thanks, BTAS), and he used to be my favorite character until I got older, and branched out to other DC titles. I found Hal Jordan overall dull (sorry, Hal fans), but Guy was exactly what I was looking for when it came to a character/Green Lantern. I just really loved how they wrote him, his backstory, his relationship with Tora (this is my one true pairing for DC, their love story is really touching to me), everything. Even his design is great because he has a very distinct look to him with the red hair and bowl cut, which they've changed at times but still.
Oddly enough, the first time I ever saw Guy Gardner was in a Flash Annual, and first impressions were not great. He was the first super-hero I'd ever read who was a huge jerk, and as an 8-year old kid I didn't like that at all. Heroes are supposed to be upstanding and virtuous! But then after seeing him pop up in some JLA books, I very quickly was like, "Wait a minute... this guy's by far the most interesting character in the bunch," and it was BECAUSE he was such a textured, nuanced character and not a white-bread cardboard cutout.

The interactions with Hal really put it over, to me, because at that particular time Hal really WAS just a white-bread, pompous ass who was holier-than-thou without any particular reason to be. I loved that Guy had the balls to stand up to him, or even Batman and Superman. I was so "that kid", at the time, like "Hey man, who ever said This Guy Here walked on water?" and so seeing Gardner get up in the face of guys like Batman and Superman was so awesome, to me, even as a huge fan of those characters. It's like "Damn, yeah, f*ck it, they're not automatically right about every single thing just because they showed up," and even when Guy was wrong on points I respected that he'd always stand up for himself. It was like seeing the bullied kid stand up to the popular jocks, even when he knew they might kick his ass. Again, I was "that kid", so following Guy was very cathartic and inspiring to me.

His secret origin about his abusive, alcoholic Dad and everything was just the icing. I was already all-in on the character by then but finding out that we had similar childhoods really cemented it. There's no other super-hero I could ever claim to have so much in common with on a personal level. He's pretty much Me, with a worse haircut and so on.

In the hands of a skilled writer like Giffen or Jurgens or Dixon, he was incredibly dynamic. He'd come off outwardly as a loudmouth bully, but then you'd see how he was really just masking insecurities and fears with bravado. And when the chips were down, whether it was Eclipso or Starbreaker or whatever, even after the entire JLA or Green Lantern Corps would tell him to f*ck off, he'd ALWAYS come through in the clutch and save them all.

When heroes are in it for more than the accolades, and they come through and do what needs doing even when everyone hates them, just because they know it's right... to me, that's about as inspiring and Purely heroic as it gets. Like, nobody would have more reason to give up being a hero, or otherwise becoming a full-blown villain, than Guy... but every time his powers were taken away, every time he lost someone close to him, every time he suffered yet another crippling setback or was flat-out told, "Nobody likes you, nobody wants you here... just go home"... he always found a way to endure.

He really did personify what the Green Lantern Corps was supposedly all about, more than anyone else who ever wore the ring. He wasn't a perfect person, but he was always a lot more brave and selfless and all-around heroic than most people give him credit for. But then, you have to read the right stuff to really get it. Bad writers do a terrible Guy Gardner. But good writers who know his history and put it to use tend to knock it out of the park.

Not a fan of his new origins circa New 52. That'll never be canon, to me. "Yesterday's Sins" is what it's all about.

For as much sh*t as Geoff Johns gets - much of it very much deserved - I'll always be grateful for him making Guy a GL again, and helping return him to a place of prominence in the DCU after a few years of being mostly-forgotten. The "Warrior" years were pretty abysmal, mostly, but at least they un-f*cked it. I still prefer Guy with Sinestro's ring, because I think he works better as a maverick than as part of a team that has such rigid rules and regulations, and plus, his costume was just plain neat. But whatever it took to put that Warrior stuff to bed.

He's pretty much my #3 of all time behind Superman and Batman. But I think he's much more realistic and relatable than either one, and if ever there's a conflict between them my allegiance immediately shifts to Guy in that moment. Even when he's wrong on points, he's generally right on principle.

And besides... imagine the size of the nuts on a guy who will call Superman an asshole to his face. How can you NOT love that Guy?

Old 05-07-2022, 05:00 PM   #18
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Does Siniestro even have personal beef with Stewart, other than just wanting to kill all the Green Lanterns? I always thought his personal beef was with Hal, and every time I see Siniestro in an animated series or movie as the Green Lantern villain but the Green Lantern is Jon instead of Hal, I always get that pesky feeling that the movie/show/whatever really should have been about Hal but 'we got too many whiteboys in there, someone just HAS to be black'. Same with Star Sapphire, isn't her beef also with Hal?
Yes in both cases. Although Sinestro and John did have a few personal run-ins during "Guy Gardner: Reborn" and "GL: Mosaic". But that was after Sinestro was dead (or assumed to be), and his spirit would repeatedly try and possess John's body in order to control him and stir up trouble. In "Reborn" it was so he could reclaim the yellow power ring off of Sinestro's own corpse before Gardner could get to it - which he failed at, because GUY F'N GARDNER - but I forget specifically what his goal was in the one Mosaic issue. I remember it being one of the better issues of Mosaic, but it's been years since I looked at it so I just don't remember the details.

Even then, though, it wasn't so much "personal" between Sinestro and John. More just that it had been established that John was weaker of will than Hal or most of the other Lanterns - partly because of that whole thing where John had let Xanshi get blown up through his arrogance, a failure that affected him for years afterwards - and so it made him more prone to being a puppet for Sinestro's spirit. As far as one-on-one run-ins, they didn't really have that many. He really is more of Hal's opposite number than anyone's. If there's another Lantern besides Hal who Sinestro could reasonably be called an "arch-nemesis" of, it would be Gardner. Gardner bested Sinestro's soul in a battle of wills, Gardner stole his yellow ring... these were not exactly small victories. But even then, it was just a few stories here and there.

But yeah, Sinestro is Hal's villain. Star Sapphire, too. The entire tragedy of Star Sappire is that it's Hal's ex-girlfriend Carol, possessed. I *guess* you could change it so that she's simply the ex-girlfriend of whichever GL the story is centered around... but that isn't how the story goes.

The problem with using John as the primary GL in any spin-off media is... he simply doesn't have a rogues gallery of his own or any stories featuring him that truly stand out. The most well-known and character-defining story in his entire history is still "Cosmic Odyssey"... in which he gets supremely overconfident and lets an entire planet die. His biggest solo moment is one of total failure where he let billions die.

Very hard to translate that character to other media and feature him prominently as a solo act. He's never BEEN that, and so he's never fully established himself as anything other than an appendage to the other GLs of Earth.

It doesn't surprise me that the "solution" some writers would settle on is simply to transplant enemies and supporting cast members from other Lanterns onto him... but I still don't like it. It exposes the inherent flaw in the character: He was created entirely to be "The Black Green Lantern", that's all he ever was, and he's never grown past being that, and only that. It's not the fault of the character, but it does make him a lousy choice for spin-off media. He's just never done anything important.

Old 05-07-2022, 06:17 PM   #19
Avenger
Thug

Quote:
Yes in both cases. Although Sinestro and John did have a few personal run-ins during "Guy Gardner: Reborn" and "GL: Mosaic". But that was after Sinestro was dead (or assumed to be), and his spirit would repeatedly try and possess John's body in order to control him and stir up trouble. In "Reborn" it was so he could reclaim the yellow power ring off of Sinestro's own corpse before Gardner could get to it - which he failed at, because GUY F'N GARDNER - but I forget specifically what his goal was in the one Mosaic issue. I remember it being one of the better issues of Mosaic, but it's been years since I looked at it so I just don't remember the details.

Even then, though, it wasn't so much "personal" between Sinestro and John. More just that it had been established that John was weaker of will than Hal or most of the other Lanterns - partly because of that whole thing where John had let Xanshi get blown up through his arrogance, a failure that affected him for years afterwards - and so it made him more prone to being a puppet for Sinestro's spirit. As far as one-on-one run-ins, they didn't really have that many. He really is more of Hal's opposite number than anyone's. If there's another Lantern besides Hal who Sinestro could reasonably be called an "arch-nemesis" of, it would be Gardner. Gardner bested Sinestro's soul in a battle of wills, Gardner stole his yellow ring... these were not exactly small victories. But even then, it was just a few stories here and there.

But yeah, Sinestro is Hal's villain. Star Sapphire, too. The entire tragedy of Star Sappire is that it's Hal's ex-girlfriend Carol, possessed. I *guess* you could change it so that she's simply the ex-girlfriend of whichever GL the story is centered around... but that isn't how the story goes.

The problem with using John as the primary GL in any spin-off media is... he simply doesn't have a rogues gallery of his own or any stories featuring him that truly stand out. The most well-known and character-defining story in his entire history is still "Cosmic Odyssey"... in which he gets supremely overconfident and lets an entire planet die. His biggest solo moment is one of total failure where he let billions die.

Very hard to translate that character to other media and feature him prominently as a solo act. He's never BEEN that, and so he's never fully established himself as anything other than an appendage to the other GLs of Earth.

It doesn't surprise me that the "solution" some writers would settle on is simply to transplant enemies and supporting cast members from other Lanterns onto him... but I still don't like it. It exposes the inherent flaw in the character: He was created entirely to be "The Black Green Lantern", that's all he ever was, and he's never grown past being that, and only that. It's not the fault of the character, but it does make him a lousy choice for spin-off media. He's just never done anything important.

Well right now John is the leader of the GLC, and a pretty good one.

If they bothered to let go the "origin story" each time they do a new movie they could go in the leader direction for John.

As for Gardner, I agree with you. He's really a "every man" GL with relatables flaws, not as "morally superior" as the 3 others GL.
Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 06:54 PM   #20
Leo656
The Franchise

In my own defense I have a ton of DC knowledge but it pretty much stops with Flashpoint. Between the New 52 and prices going to $4 per issue I just quit comics cold turkey and never looked back. So anything after 2011 I can't really speak to.

I know John is "the Real GL" to an entire generation of people thanks to the cartoon, but as Coola alluded to, I put a huge asterisk next to that because he wasn't put into that show for popularity or story-based reasons, it was purely "We need a black guy in there" reasons, and I'm never a fan of that kind of thing. I don't even think John Stewart was even doing anything of importance, in the comics, when that show first aired. He'd been completely off the radar for almost ten years by that point.

It's like how they stuck Hawkgirl in there just to get another woman on the team, when Hawkgirl was never a prominent member of any incarnation of the JLA. To so many people, that is the "iconic" roster because they only know cartoons, but I've never been able to look past the politics of it. Some of those characters didn't really need to be there, and some of the ones who should have been were introduced later on, anyway.

Good show, just not a fan of some of the choices they were forced to make with it.