The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 09-23-2020, 05:12 PM   #421
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

If only we could get designs similar to the recent art by Raf Grassetti (minus the Rise parts), that would be a dream come true for an all CGI movie.

Most here have prob seen it by now, but for the few out there who didn't, I'm referring to this art:
Spoiler:

Depresses me that I'm instead expecting and will probably get some version of what 2012 did with the 87 Turtles.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:36 PM   #422
AquaParade
Banned

I'm glad you like that but I'm not a fan. Just speaks to how varied the fan base for TMNT seems to be. There is no universal TMNT movie that would get everyone on this board on the same page, from what I can see.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:23 PM   #423
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
If only we could get designs similar to the recent art by Raf Grassetti (minus the Rise parts), that would be a dream come true for an all CGI movie.

Most here have prob seen it by now, but for the few out there who didn't, I'm referring to this art:
Hell no. That's just the Bay Turtles with less accessories.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:52 PM   #424
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Well you don't like most things, Andrew, so no surprise there.

But mark my words, when it comes out closer to this than that, I'm blaming you.

As much as I do love the '87 Turtles, too... CGI just does not suit them.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:59 PM   #425
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I like those Raf Grassetti designs but they're definitely HULK PD style turtles, but I'm one of the 12 people that wanted a third PD movie so I'm ok with the characters looking like that as a soft-reboot.

Last edited by sdp; 09-23-2020 at 08:13 PM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:40 PM   #426
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

They're a bit bulky for sure, and Raph definitely takes after the PD design, at least by way of and thanks to Rise I guess (he's my least fave of this art), though really there is nothing to judge actual scale and I wish there was something to give that context.

I don't mind me some chunky Turtles so long as they are a more normal height for them, not 6'.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:00 PM   #427
Leo656
The Franchise

Eh, I could take them seriously around 6'. That's honestly not THAT tall. There's a reason it's called "average" male height.

I know I'm the opposite of most people but I kinda don't like the whole "they need to be about four feet tall" thing. Just seems silly. Whenever I see them in frame with regular characters I can no longer take them seriously. I really don't see why they can't be Average Height and still have every other thing about them remain exactly the same as it always is. I get that it's generally how things are but I don't see any reason it needs to be A Rule.

I mean, they were clearly pushing seven feet in the PD movies and that's definitely overkill, but I don't like them being short, either. Whenever I write or draw them they're around 6'. Too much shorter and I think it puts it right back into cartoon territory.

The simple fact is, absolutely nobody shorter than myself can ever be threatening or imposing no matter how much they know. That's just the way it is. And I have double-lifts in my wrestling boots - a full inch outside and a half-inch "hidden" inside) because I KNOW how much these things matter.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:41 PM   #428
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post

Depresses me that I'm instead expecting and will probably get some version of what 2012 did with the 87 Turtles.
Oh, he finally did Michelangelo! I like the art, but I wouldn't want to see it in a movie. Like Andrew said, it's Bayturtles with nose jobs and fewer accessories.

Now, if we took those designs, removed all the accessories and shorts, and threw in a human for comparison so I can see they're not 8-foot tall 'roid monsters? Then I'm onboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Eh, I could take them seriously around 6'. That's honestly not THAT tall. There's a reason it's called "average" male height.

I know I'm the opposite of most people but I kinda don't like the whole "they need to be about four feet tall" thing. Just seems silly. Whenever I see them in frame with regular characters I can no longer take them seriously. I really don't see why they can't be Average Height and still have every other thing about them remain exactly the same as it always is. I get that it's generally how things are but I don't see any reason it needs to be A Rule.
I don't think they need to be dwarf-height, although I'm okay with it. 5' is doable. But I'm over 6', and I'd rather see them shorter.

Plus, having the Turtles be shorter would make their skills more necessary, instead of just clobbering everybody. They have shells for armor, after all, so I feel like making them a little shorter than some humans would make for more interesting fight sequences.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:10 PM   #429
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I'm not opposed to them being around average human height, though unless someone is designing skinny, lanky Turtles (bleh, not a fan) they may still have the tissue of looking far too big in comparison. And if they are too big to fit through a manhole that's just gets kind of immersion breaking. Even when PD made it happen, you can't get past knowing manholes aren't that big.

(If the 2016 film wanted to up the humor, forget Raph surviving hitting an airplane windshield, he should have met the police and other first responders for the first time because he got stuck. Now that would have been believable. lol)

I could see around 5'6 or so being a decent adult height for them. Not huge, but not tiny either.

Though it people would actually take into consideration that they're originally Sliders, not tortoises, and stop overdoing the size and bulk of the shell, a flatter shell would be a start on not making them the size of small cars. (Plus, a flatter shell could make the whole disguised thing work, unlike PD that had to axe it.)

Last edited by IndigoErth; 09-24-2020 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:31 PM   #430
Leo656
The Franchise

The shells would make it impossible for them to get through manholes already, I can't get hung up on that.

The closest guy in real life I could relate any of them to would be someone like Rob Van Dam. He's an expert martial artist with ungodly flexibility and a highly acrobatic style, who in his prime would be able to leap from the top rope into the third row of fans with a full flip somersault in between. He's older now, but in his prime he was very much how a Ninja Turtle would move and fight in real life. He's put on a few pounds in middle-age, but when he was at his peak he wasn't very big or bulky at all, and the stuff he could do was absolutely uncanny, as far as his acrobatics and whatnot.

Spoiler'ed for Big Picture.
Spoiler:

6'1, 235. Very lean, not at all bulky, but MUCH bigger than you'd think he is if all you've seen is him in motion.

Speaking of, here's just a sample of just how amazing he is/was for being a "big guy" by normal standards. Some of this stuff still has to be seen to be believed. There's better highlight reels but that's the first one that came up and I think it sends the message well enough.

Just for fun, here's another one. It's my Birthday, and the world needs more RVD. Plus, this one has more spin kicks. His flexibility is really quite amazing for such a big guy.

See, this is why when people insist that the Turtles would have to be short and thin or else they couldn't do all the cool stuff they do, I say nonsense. They could very easily be around 6' and still flip around and throw high kicks just fine. Real-Life Precedent ruins the narrative that they MUST be short.

Also, Rob Van Dam is a very nice guy. Unrelated, But Relevant.

Last edited by Leo656; 09-24-2020 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:39 PM   #431
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Well, realistically, the Turtles should still have some degree of limitation, due to the whole shell fused with the spine part limiting flexibility and probably shouldn't be able to compensate quite to that degree and be that good. lol But still compensate well enough to be awesome.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 09-24-2020 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:49 PM   #432
Leo656
The Franchise

To be fair, asking anyone to measure up to the standard of Rob Van Dam is a pretty impossible task. Regardless, we do see the Turtles behave very acrobatically even when it "should" be impossible for their anatomy. I feel like some stuff you just gotta let go.

RVD would have been an awesome Ninja Turtle.

Old 09-24-2020, 01:23 PM   #433
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The Turtles aren't 6'. Flat out. Though I'm OK with the heights in the 1990 movie.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:08 PM   #434
AquaParade
Banned

Make the turtles 2 ft tall. They'll be adorable. No one will care if they slaughter and kill. Would anyone complain if Baby Yoda caused someone to explode from the inside out?
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:07 PM   #435
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Awww... look at them slaughter those villains. Adorable!

Thanks, instead of Mutant Town, now I can't unthink Mutant Munchkinland. A village full of tiny murderous animal people will now fuel my nightmares.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:27 PM   #436
Galactus
Foot Elite

I'm still mad they gave the part of Wolverine to that tall Australian pretty boy. MCU Logan better be stocky 5.3.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:47 PM   #437
Leo656
The Franchise

He might be, but allegedly with Xavier and Magneto at least one of them will be black and at least one of them will be gay, because that's allegedly what Disney wants to do. At least that was the rumor the last time anyone spoke of it. If all of that happens but Wolverine gets to stay short, will you be altogether Happy or Sad?

Old 09-24-2020, 06:20 PM   #438
garsh
Foot Soldier

Maybe it's my imagination, but I feel like some of what I just read is losing sight of the fundamental gag.

Ninja turtles, as a concept, is silly and appealing -- because -- they're turtle ninjas. It's amusing because of course they shouldn't be able to do any of the things they do. That's the whole point, and I presume it's a large part of the reason they caught on in the first place.

Unrelated, short turtles are extremely important to me personally just because it's one of their main defining characteristics that I like about them. If that's taken away, as far as I'm concerned, they needn't be ninjas, or turtles, etc.; the whole concept unravels. That's just me.
garsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:22 PM   #439
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by garsh View Post
Ninja turtles, as a concept, is silly and appealing -- because -- they're turtle ninjas.
So is a man dressed in a bat costume. Can we please stop using this tired excuse? No offense btw.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:35 PM   #440
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by garsh View Post
Ninja turtles, as a concept, is silly and appealing -- because -- they're turtle ninjas.
You know what isn't silly? Crisler's Law.