The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 09-24-2021, 06:47 AM   #41
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Honestly Chris Pratt will do an alright Mario if he tries to change his voice a bit and doesn't half ass it. I just hate celebrities voicing characters in animated movies. Jack Black as Bowser means he'll only be used for gags and he'll have a horrible voice. We'll have to wait and see if his take on Bowser will be worse than the ridiculous voice he was given in Sunshine

There's a reason Bowser has only made grunts since then.
eh Bowser is kinda played for laughs. You kinda have to be if you're Mario's nemesis. It should work out.

But I do get your point. I want Chris Pratt and Jack Black to sound like Mario and Bowser, not Chris Pratt and Jack Black.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:57 AM   #42
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I'm really curious about the movie, Mario is basically an open canvas if you want to make a movie, you can get something like the live action Super Mario Bros movie which is good in its own right or something generic like the super mario cartoons of the 80s and 90s. The games can go from more "action" like say Odyssey or Galaxy to extremely cartoony like in the spin-off games or an in between like the RPG games. It's a very flexible franchise.

I think Nintendo chose Illumination for being a smaller studio and they likely have more control over the direction of their character so despite not liking their movies I think it might be a good match. I do think it'll be mostly in the Wreck-it Ralph type of humor/story, nothing mind blowing but satisfying.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 04:52 PM   #43
neatoman
Emperor

Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 10:29 PM   #44
Xav
Foot Elite

Apparently some people are upset that Mario isn't voiced by an Italian.
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...rio-bros-movie
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 11:02 PM   #45
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
But Charles Martinet, Peter Cullen and Walker Boone aren't either.
Hahahaha!
Old 09-24-2021, 11:20 PM   #46
frank_one
Mad Scientist

I'm Italian and I'm not upset
I think they should have shown more respect to Charles Martinet and should have given him the role. He has been voicing Mario for so long, give the poor guy a chance!
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 11:40 PM   #47
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
I'm Italian and I'm not upset
I think they should have shown more respect to Charles Martinet and should have given him the role. He has been voicing Mario for so long, give the poor guy a chance!
Well he does have a mystery role in this movie, so who knows who he will be voicing here? If it is a character from the games, I'm guessing Wario because he's the only character Martinet has been allowed to voice actual Dialogue for. Judging from his Wario performance, I guess the main reason Pratt was chosen instead (aside from celebrity status) might be that Martinet's Mario voices can be kind of grating for more than the generic sound clips.

Martinet isn't a bad voice actor by any means, his voice can actually be rather pleasing. Paarthurnax in Skyrim isn't grating at all, so he can do voices that aren't overly cartoony. It's just that the Mario voice he usually does may not be all that pleasant in the long run, it's very high pitched.
Hahahaha!
Old 09-25-2021, 07:50 AM   #48
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
I like how the people who are getting upset over this act like Mario had this big speaking role in the games when....he didnt. In fact, he barely spoke at all.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 01:50 PM   #49
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Even in animated films, studios somehow need to justify an age gap between the female and male love interests.

Just, ... why?
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 02:23 PM   #50
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
I like how the people who are getting upset over this act like Mario had this big speaking role in the games when....he didnt. In fact, he barely spoke at all.
These people seem to forget that Mario was speaking a lot on his 3 animated shows in the 90s. The Super Mario Super Show, Super Mario Bros 3, and Super Mario World.

Captain Lou Albano played the RL version and voiced the cartoon version of Mario from the Super Mario Super Show, He didn't voice the character in the other two shows.
Old 09-26-2021, 02:59 PM   #51
sdp
Megan Fox = April

You can argue that it was before Mario was under tight nintendo control and they gave people who licensed the IP more freedom. That's how we got those crazy nintendo character interpretations on Captain N cartoon. Mario isn't the most talkative in games canon but he can clearly talk, it's not like Link where Nintendo has gone out of their way to make sure he never talks and I hope he never talks in a game. If they ever make a show or movie of course he would need to talk
Old 09-26-2021, 04:02 PM   #52
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Never really understood why studios don't primarily cast voice actors for animated movies. Seems like wasted money to get a 'name' actor that probably won't give you as good of a performance. Kids don't care that Star-Lord is the voice of Mario. They're going to see it because it's Mario.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 04:06 PM   #53
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
Never really understood why studios don't primarily cast voice actors for animated movies. Seems like wasted money to get a 'name' actor that probably won't give you as good of a performance. Kids don't care that Star-Lord is the voice of Mario. They're going to see it because it's Mario.
The movie is going to be very comedic with the cast they have chosen, Also the reason why they selected them, Because they needed actors that can do different ranges of emotions through there own voices.

Jack Black as Bowser I think is going to be the scene stealer, Because Jack Black has a larger then life persona, So he's going to own that role.
Old 09-26-2021, 05:07 PM   #54
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Does the movie have the potential to be a huge hit? The Mario Brand has become quite big in the last few years since the Switch came out, it seems Nintendo finally shook that "for kids' phase and is now seen as cool to kids and nostalgic for adults. But this is also releasing at the same time as Avatar 2.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:00 AM   #55
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
The movie is going to be very comedic with the cast they have chosen, Also the reason why they selected them, Because they needed actors that can do different ranges of emotions through there own voices.

Jack Black as Bowser I think is going to be the scene stealer, Because Jack Black has a larger then life persona, So he's going to own that role.
What? Are you implying that traditional voice actors can't do that?
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 10:37 PM   #56
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

This cast was unexpected. I am curious to see what they will bring to the characters.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:45 AM   #57
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Donkey Kong spin-off in development
Old 11-03-2021, 03:52 PM   #58
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Now this one doesnt even make sense. In the canon he doesnt speak english....

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 11:57 PM   #59
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
Now this one doesnt even make sense. In the canon he doesnt speak english....
Well we already knew he was going to speak because Seth Rogan is voicing him, this isn't meant to be canon with the games. I feel the Super Mario movie will be a tribute to the character, wreck it ralph style and mario goes on an adventure meeting all his frenemies over the decades. And however DK is portrayed there would follow on this spinoff. DK did speak in the DKC cartoons and all kongs basically speak in canon so why wouldn't he.
Old 11-04-2021, 09:33 AM   #60
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

He talks at the end of DKC 3 about dreaming of a big pile of bananas. Come on, people.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote