The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 01-23-2015, 04:24 AM   #1
neatoman
Emperor

What is the logic behind Adventures vol 9?

So I just read volume 9 of IDW's Adventures reprints and felt like I was missing something important. At first I just thought it was that they reprinted Mutanimals #6 while skipping first 5 issues but no, not only did they skip over Mutanimals 1-5, they skipped over Adventures 32-37. Why would they ignore 6 issues of the series? Wouldn't it make more sense to have 32-37 be volume 9, while Mutanimals #6 and 38-40 would be volume 10?

As a side note, I found amusing that Dreadmon adressed Leo as "Leo, mon". That has no signifigance, I just liked the unintended association.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:58 AM   #2
ToTheNines
[sic]

IDW trying to be PC, I reckon. Those stories deal with China's oppression of Tibet, fictional depictions of Mecca, and an illustrated portrayal of the prophet Mohammed.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:45 AM   #3
evan2000
Stone Warrior

Mighty Mutanimals #1-5 is a spin-off arc telling the Mutanimals' adventure (without the turtles) that took place immediately after Mr. Null/Maligna's joint-arc (which consist of TMNT Adventures #19 and Mighty Mutanimals Mini-Series #1-3) and right before the United We Stand, Divided We Fall arc (which consist of TMNT Adventures #38, Mighty Mutanimals #6 and TMNT Adventures #39).

Note that chronologically the Mutanimals spin-off arcs are usually happening in parallel with the main issues. For instance, the MM Mini-Series #1-3 are happening in parallel with TMNT Adventures #20-22 (Raphael was with the MM gang in these 3 issues, which explains his absence in #20-21 and his return at the end of #22). After that, Mighty Mutanimals #1-5 was chronologically happening in parallel with TMNT Adventures #23-37, followed by the MM gang meeting the turtles again in #38.

But yeah, IDW decided to leave out #32-37 due to controversial content involving religion and whatnot. So new readers could just assume a hiatus happened after #31 and the story skipped straight to #38 when it returns.

If you want to find out more about the full chronology, you can check out the thread I recently made about it.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:05 AM   #4
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

On the bright side, we won't all have to invest in "Je Suis IDW" t-shirts anytime soon.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:39 AM   #5
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
On the bright side, we won't all have to invest in "Je Suis IDW" t-shirts anytime soon.

This actually reminds me that I probably need to start keeping an eye out for original back issue copies of TMNTA #32-37 due to potential increased demand in the collector's market.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 01-23-2015 at 07:44 AM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:16 AM   #6
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
IDW trying to be PC, I reckon. Those stories deal with China's oppression of Tibet, fictional depictions of Mecca, and an illustrated portrayal of the prophet Mohammed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan2000 View Post
Mighty Mutanimals #1-5 is a spin-off arc telling the Mutanimals' adventure (without the turtles) that took place immediately after Mr. Null/Maligna's joint-arc (which consist of TMNT Adventures #19 and Mighty Mutanimals Mini-Series #1-3) and right before the United We Stand, Divided We Fall arc (which consist of TMNT Adventures #38, Mighty Mutanimals #6 and TMNT Adventures #39).

Note that chronologically the Mutanimals spin-off arcs are usually happening in parallel with the main issues. For instance, the MM Mini-Series #1-3 are happening in parallel with TMNT Adventures #20-22 (Raphael was with the MM gang in these 3 issues, which explains his absence in #20-21 and his return at the end of #22). After that, Mighty Mutanimals #1-5 was chronologically happening in parallel with TMNT Adventures #23-37, followed by the MM gang meeting the turtles again in #38.

But yeah, IDW decided to leave out #32-37 due to controversial content involving religion and whatnot. So new readers could just assume a hiatus happened after #31 and the story skipped straight to #38 when it returns.

If you want to find out more about the full chronology, you can check out the thread I recently made about it.
Oh OK then. It would at least have been nice if they included some kind of explaination for they ignored 6 issues or a vague enough summary of said issues like they did with those outdated versions of the Transformers reprints (which ironically I traded in when I purchased this trade...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
The attacks on Jyllands-Posten,Lars Vilks and Charlie Hebdo are all instances of mockery of Mohammed. Granted even a respectful depiction of Mohammed could be considered offensive but I doubt it would have drawn nearly as much attention, although with recent events in mind, yeah it's probably best for IDW to stay as far away from that issue as possible...
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:16 PM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

So let me get this straight, a kids comic in the 90's could be printed with no problem about Islamic culture and Tibet, etc....yet IDW comics printed in the year 2015 aimed mostly at adults can't do the same thing?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:30 PM   #8
ToTheNines
[sic]

It's not just "Islamic Culture", the fact that Chris Allan drew Mohammed would be very offensive to most Muslims. Like neatoman said, it wasn't in mockery so I'm sure it would fly under the radar, but Muslims are iconoclastic and would consider it unholy.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:11 PM   #9
funatic
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
So let me get this straight, a kids comic in the 90's could be printed with no problem about Islamic culture and Tibet, etc....yet IDW comics printed in the year 2015 aimed mostly at adults can't do the same thing?
Thanks to the internet the world is quite a bit smaller now than it was in the 90s, add in heightened tensions in lieu of recent events, and yeah - IDW in 2015 has to take a bit more precaution.
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:14 PM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
It's not just "Islamic Culture", the fact that Chris Allan drew Mohammed would be very offensive to most Muslims. Like neatoman said, it wasn't in mockery so I'm sure it would fly under the radar, but Muslims are iconoclastic and would consider it unholy.
Couldn't they just edit that one page or something? I mean one missing page would be a whole lot better than skipping 7 comics entirely.

Especially for new readers who never read Archie before, and this is their first exposure to the series and now they're missing issues. Its a bigger deal than the 5 Volume 1 guest issues they skipped, which had no impact on canon so it didn't matter too much, (although I still hope "The River," "Sky Highway" and "Turtle Dreams" get collected eventually)
Old 01-23-2015, 04:36 PM   #11
Joey Kamikaze
Stone Warrior

It's especially annoying for new readers because these issues are when TMNTA is evolving rapidly as a series. The shift in tone that's obvious by #42 begins with "Midnight Sun" and carries through the skipped issues. It's a shame to skip an arc just as the book hits its stride.

And besides, some of these skipped stories (especially the Tattoo issue and "Stump'd Again") are fun reads.
Joey Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:55 PM   #12
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'm glad I never picked up these Archie trades. I was holding out just to see if any screw-up would happen and sure enough it did.

Still sucks for new people who never read the series before, I'm glad I still have all my old single issues.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:01 PM   #13
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by funatic View Post
Thanks to the internet the world is quite a bit smaller now than it was in the 90s, add in heightened tensions in lieu of recent events, and yeah - IDW in 2015 has to take a bit more precaution.
I do miss the days when this old world was a great big place full of mystery and adventure.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:20 PM   #14
Nasubionna
Foot Soldier

I, too, was confused until I noticed that they skipped all those issues. Pretty disappointing. And unfortunately, those particular issues aren't ones that I have in my old collection of original Archie comics, so I'll have to try and get my hands on them off eBay or something now. Bummer.
Nasubionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:16 PM   #15
darthsmozers
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Kamikaze View Post
It's especially annoying for new readers because these issues are when TMNTA is evolving rapidly as a series. The shift in tone that's obvious by #42 begins with "Midnight Sun" and carries through the skipped issues. It's a shame to skip an arc just as the book hits its stride.

And besides, some of these skipped stories (especially the Tattoo issue and "Stump'd Again") are fun reads.
It's a shame the Stump'd Again issue wasn't included, at the least. Also, if the image of the prophet was to blame, then surely yes, that single page could have been edited (read: censored)... As it is, those issues set up a lot of content for the next set of issues, including the upcoming villains. I hope THOSE aren't edited out.

I'm sure overall it was a difficult editorial decision, but I agree that in lieu of editing/censoring the originals, at least some sort of synopsis (with key panels?) should have been included as well as a reason, however generic, as a sort of "forward" to this trade. Or, throw us a bone and include the missed MM issues as well. They were short issues once you subtract all the ad space...
darthsmozers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:15 AM   #16
The Fifth Turtle
Mad Scientist

So as a collector of the trades should I assume that the skipped issues from the main volume will remain skipped? In other words should I track down the originals or is there a chance that IDW will edit these issue(s) and release them at some point?
The Fifth Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:56 PM   #17
darthsmozers
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Turtle View Post
So as a collector of the trades should I assume that the skipped issues from the main volume will remain skipped? In other words should I track down the originals or is there a chance that IDW will edit these issue(s) and release them at some point?
Probably track them down... In the current terroristic climate.
darthsmozers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:31 AM   #18
MightyMutanIMAL
Mouser

I recently contacted the guys in charge of collections at IDW and asked about both the possibility of Mighty Mutanimals being collected (what with the new mini-series starting this week) and whether issues 32-37 of TMNTA would be collected.

They dodged the TMNTA question, but said this about Mutanimals:

'"Mutanimals Classics” will be considered for its own collection at such time as the success of our new series can be determined. At the moment our TMNT reprint program is quite robust, and we see no reason to add another title into the mix.

Thanks for your questions."
MightyMutanIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:56 AM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord

You should have told them the Mutanimals series is only 9 issues, its not like its a huge series they have to collect. They can reprint it all quickly.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:42 PM   #20
MightyMutanIMAL
Mouser

Yeah, I would have presumed that they knew that, but the way they're talking they make it sound like some big commitment.

Maybe they're thinking about the Merdude and Donnie/Leatherhead miniseries too, but that seems unlikely.
MightyMutanIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
archie, controversial, idw, reprint, tmnt adventures