The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Should Splinter truly die?
No, I died inside when Splinter was killed. 21 37.50%
Yes...Splinter being resurrected would cheapen his death in the finally. 18 32.14%
On fence. 17 30.36%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2015, 10:33 AM   #41
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
this show would lose a great presence as well as entertainment points if Splinter was gone for good.
myconius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:50 AM   #42
tmntsplinterfan1997
Foot Soldier

Splinter should return in Season 4

Since Splinter's death occured in Annihilation Earth, the Turtles returned 6 months in time with Fugitoid to collect the pieces of the black hole generator and prevent Splinter's death.
tmntsplinterfan1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 12:30 PM   #43
Kingoji
Hench Mutant

Not even a question that he'll be back.
And I hope when he is the first thing he does is put Shredder down hard. I've missed that bad ass rat this series.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:37 PM   #44
Powder
So tired of this place

Splinter's like Goku, he always comes back.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 12:38 PM   #45
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Oh, man, its him again, isn't it?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:40 PM   #46
Aaronardo
Mad Scientist

Quote:
God, at this point I'm kinda suspicious of any new members on whether or not they're Goku.

But on topic, Splinter should definitely not return. It'd give great character development for all four of the Turtles at the same time, even if they cope with it in different ways, and give them an even greater reason to after Shredder. If Season 4's second-half focuses on how the Turtles have changed due to Splinter being dead for good (and that it could even be their own fault), I might consider this season to actually be a success.

However, this show hates character development and dark writing with any sort of quality now, so Splinter is going to return. No doubts.
"The Biosites have almost finished healing my flesh." - Shredder
"Because we're takin' the heart and you're goin' to jail!" - Donatello
Aaronardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:41 PM   #47
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

No doubt he'll be back within the season finale.

Still young, they still need their dad/teacher in their lives, even if this season has the potential (even if it doesn't take it) to mature them up a bit more after all of this.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:45 PM   #48
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Let's not jump the gun there folks.

Anyways, we did have a thread dedicated to the topic before you came along there bro, here is the link: http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=53496

Anyways, if you want to know my stance, well:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMutant View Post
I have mentioned the show failing it's tragedies before, but is it bad I didn't care for Splinter dying at all? Hear me out on this...

I'm going to ignore the novel for this as it's easier, but looking back, the show really hasn't built off it's depressing moments. I've mentioned Mutagen Man and Karai several times as examples, but Splinter really is settling up there. For example, take the Invasion when Splinter was thrown into the whirlpool by Shredder. Yes, all those present reacted how they did and it was executed well, by far one of my favorite scenes of the series. Then, it takes a serious case of ignoring the event in question.

During Northampton, the show had a perfect opportunity on the emotional turmoil with the fatherly figure of Splinter, which was brought up in his presumed demise in Within the Woods. However, as that arc proceeded onward, all conflicts in NYC for building off were few and far between. The only true time they contributed to Splinter is Vision Quest with his spirit directly out of the 1990 live action film. Following that episode, he's feral in Return to New York briefly, then all of a sudden back to normal thanks to deus ex April.

I can understand if I need to take time into account and imagine it for myself, but the issue is a television show should explain the context of what occurs. Even if I have fun doing it and immerses me further into the product, it doesn't contribute much to the plot. It ruins the significance of any event present if the character isn't handled well; considering Splinter's importance has declined heavily, they needed one major event to trump season 2 and 1. Balance of FW and 4kids or not, there's no justification to me on this at all.

Due to what they did with ignoring MM and failing to do meaningful ideas with Karai, this tragedy holds no place in my heart. It is simply for shock value and I'm not buying into it going into season 4. Not trying to be a Negative Nancy as I do love this Splinter, but I honestly don't trust what's set in store. It's essentially a double edged sword for me: if he survives, that proves these events are just shock values for minor setbacks. However, if Splinter is truly dead, I expect him to have an effect on the Turtles, Casey, and April (even Karai!) or it'll remain another failure on the show's part tragedy wise.
Either it's a revival without any substance from this whole thing barring shock value, he is killed again, or Splinter remains dead either with growth by the team or not. However, I honestly doubt there's development; Splinter's death personally is a main reason I find Annihilation: Earth severely overrated, I honestly feel Serpent Hunt and Tale of the Yokai as superior in the emotion department for Steranko and Zeck or Tang Shen respectively.
GoldMutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 03:59 PM   #49
picassotheninjaturtle
Thug

Sorry to burst your bubble, but if Splinter doesn't come back there's gunna be some major problems in the show. One being if Splinter doesn't come back then by logic Shredder and other villains wont return.
picassotheninjaturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 04:04 PM   #50
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Quote:
Originally Posted by picassotheninjaturtle View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble, but if Splinter doesn't come back there's gunna be some major problems in the show. One being if Splinter doesn't come back then by logic Shredder and other villains wont return.
Shredder is returning, there was clear mention of season 5 scripts with Fishface appearing in some capacity. Why kill the main villain off like that? My point is Splinter's death is nothing of significant value by this point; either they revive him and completely wasted the potential of his death as an arc or keep him dead altogether.

If you're going to kill Splinter off I get that, but the fact is he did nearly nothing in season 3; only two major instances of his role occurred which were Return to New York and The Fourfold Trap as the main instances of him driving the story. Other instances were being a parent again in Noxious Avenger or teaching the skill of healing hands in Deadly Venom. Otherwise, compared to the emotional throwaway in The Invasion, Splinter's death is too grossly overrated. If you want to kill a main character I get that, but at least do something with it; that's one of my biggest gripes with his death.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:50 PM   #51
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Ciro had mentioned he cried at least a couple of times about that moment where Splinter died. Because he had to see it over and over again during production. And being producer he would certainly know whats going to happen in the story a lot more then we do.

I doubt he would have cried if Splinter was just going to come back to life.

And during an interview he had at New York Comic Con, Ciro stated that the Turtles and Splinter live by the sword and to not show the consequences of that sort of life is inappropriate.

We know the best case scenario is that The Turtles save Earth and save Splinter. However best case isn't always the obtainable outcome.

Sometimes Victory doesn't come with a happy end...it comes with a heavy price. So it's plausible that the situation would be a catch 22 that has only one possible conclusion.

Saving Splinter at the cost of the world.
And saving the world even though that means losing Splinter.

Back in season one Splinter did tell Leonardo "With the fate of the world at stake, you must complete the mission no matter what or who you must sacrifice."

In other words if the choice is saving the one and saving the many...the lives of the many out weigh the life of the one.

Splinter would never appreciate being saved from certain doom at the cost of millions of innocent people.

Even though I can see Leo coming to conclusions that fly in the face of his morals to achieve the Best Scenario outcome...I can still see the Turtles make the decision to save the Earth...even if it means they would have to say good bye to Splinter. And even if Splinter does in fact die for good and all...that doesn't mean he wouldn't be a character any longer. He'd certainly appear to his sons in visions and dreams...Kinda like force ghost splinter from the visionquest and the 90's movie. And he can also appear through flash backs.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:22 PM   #52
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
Ciro had mentioned he cried at least a couple of times about that moment where Splinter died. Because he had to see it over and over again during production. And being producer he would certainly know whats going to happen in the story a lot more then we do.

I doubt he would have cried if Splinter was just going to come back to life.

And during an interview he had at New York Comic Con, Ciro stated that the Turtles and Splinter live by the sword and to not show the consequences of that sort of life is inappropriate.

We know the best case scenario is that The Turtles save Earth and save Splinter. However best case isn't always the obtainable outcome.

Sometimes Victory doesn't come with a happy end...it comes with a heavy price. So it's plausible that the situation would be a catch 22 that has only one possible conclusion.

Saving Splinter at the cost of the world.
And saving the world even though that means losing Splinter.

Back in season one Splinter did tell Leonardo "With the fate of the world at stake, you must complete the mission no matter what or who you must sacrifice."

In other words if the choice is saving the one and saving the many...the lives of the many out weigh the life of the one.

Splinter would never appreciate being saved from certain doom at the cost of millions of innocent people.

Even though I can see Leo coming to conclusions that fly in the face of his morals to achieve the Best Scenario outcome...I can still see the Turtles make the decision to save the Earth...even if it means they would have to say good bye to Splinter. And even if Splinter does in fact die for good and all...that doesn't mean he wouldn't be a character any longer. He'd certainly appear to his sons in visions and dreams...Kinda like force ghost splinter from the visionquest and the 90's movie. And he can also appear through flash backs.
Um...... no, the producer statements are what they are, claims to hide a purpose. I hate to bring this up as a comparison, but I'm going to bring up the "Death of Brian" trilogy from Family Guy. I'm well aware that comparing the Ninja Turtles franchise to a show that tries to appeal to a low brand of comedy and shock value is wrong, but here me out on this, even with Seth's rather infamous attitude.

When Brian died in Life of Brian, it contradicted his character that derailed over the years; the newer Brian is a much more dangerous and unstable dog, putting others in the way instead of being a sarcastic character. Seth is clearly the most comfortable is the role as it's regular speaking voice when compared to Stewie, Peter, Glenn Quagmire, etc. Following the death, they expect to shed sympathy by manipulating the audience; then to make matters worse, they bring in Vinnie for no good reason. After a full episode, they revive Brian and it's so contrived that it's a disgusting ratings trap; Seth also went on Twitter about this, saying:

(My computer can't access Twitter, but the beginning of the trivia are his own words.)

I refuse to compare MacFarlane to Ciro or Brandon despite my animosity towards the show, the fact remains though to never trust a creative team until a show ends. Add in the fact that out of the six episodes soon to be seven so far, they've only brought up Splinter on camera once and that was Riddles of the Ancient Aeons as the brief mentioning in Beyond the Known Universe is like I said a brief dialogue piece. Furthermore, take season 3 for example, the perfect time to reflect on Splinter's presumed "death" by Shredder in The Invasion. Outside headcanon and fanfiction, he only appeared once in Northampton, directly lifted from the movie in Vision Quest with Spirit Splinter.

Keep in mind of Life of Brian's trilogy and other programs not on the top of my mind, and compare it to something strong like Digimon Tamers. I do not expect Splinter's death to hold no significance, it's mere shock value at best in a show relying on shocking the audience rather than developing the heroes from such issues. I've said on numerous occasions now, either they are going to revive him like Brian Griffin without any situation callbacks, or his death will be left behind without meaning without growth; this is the biggest arc of a TMNT show, and nothing is done so far.

Someone told me it may have involve Splinter's return in the mystical elements depending on what occurs in season 5, so either way I'm holding my breath. Either way, I know I'm right on the money on any situation for the death. (Sorry guys, I honestly need to get this explained, maybe I can make a full on assessment, but the concept just frustrates me to no end )

Last edited by GoldMutant; 01-23-2016 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:50 PM   #53
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
With a power level over 9000? ^^. *dodges rotten fruits and vegetables*

Bad jokes aside, I want him to remain dead and use him in flashbacks.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:56 PM   #54
Aaronardo
Mad Scientist

I guess it should also be worth noting that one of the original concepts for this show was that Splinter was already dead and would only appear in flashback form. I really wish that's what they went with, in all honesty, and here the writers have the ability to make it a reality. Not holding my breath, though, these writers have managed to f*ck everything that could relate to character development or something of substance happening up.
"The Biosites have almost finished healing my flesh." - Shredder
"Because we're takin' the heart and you're goin' to jail!" - Donatello
Aaronardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:46 AM   #55
Kingoji
Hench Mutant

Maybe no-one has grieved because it's more complicated than 'Spinter is dead'.
I mean, yes, he was run through by the Shredder, but mere moments later the Shredder himself, along with everyone they've ever known, friend or foe, the entire population of the planet, Earth *itself*... is utterly annihilated.
And then mere moments after THAT they are whisked back in time six months, so none of it has happened anyway.
That's the thing to consider here; the reset button has already been mashed. The question isn't "will they bring Splinter back from the dead", because he has't died yet. The question is "how will things play out from here?"
Because by the very nature of the season's premise, things are ALREADY going to go differently. It may be that the TMNT prevent the gathering of the generator parts, precluding the need for an alliance with Shredder, or Splinter being placed in that situation in the first place. The idea that Splinter will die again is rooted in the assumption that the Turtles will fail in their mission for the season and that events on Earth are currently playing out the way they always have.
Hell, the Triceraton that Raph tried to befriend is probably still out here waiting for a reunion. Get to him, the Triceratons won't go near Earth in the first place.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:01 PM   #56
tmntsplinterfan1997
Foot Soldier

They are going to save both the Earth and Splinter. Some people are delusional. If the Turtles fail, both the Earth and Splinter is toast.

Last edited by tmntsplinterfan1997; 01-24-2016 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:25 PM   #57
tmntsplinterfan1997
Foot Soldier

By the way, did anyone notice a hologram version of Splinter in Riddle of the Ancient Aeons?

Old 02-07-2016, 06:48 PM   #58
thundermaster612
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntsplinterfan1997 View Post
By the way, did anyone notice a hologram version of Splinter in Riddle of the Ancient Aeons?
you got pics?

I kind of want him to be dead but I kind of don't.
What I'm thinking is that it could be like the turtles are by themselves but when they need help from Splinter he could advise them or something, sadly the bad part about this is we won't get to see any Splinter action anymore
Old 02-07-2016, 08:02 PM   #59
tmntsplinterfan1997
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundermaster612 View Post
you got pics?

I kind of want him to be dead but I kind of don't.
What I'm thinking is that it could be like the turtles are by themselves but when they need help from Splinter he could advise them or something, sadly the bad part about this is we won't get to see any Splinter action anymore
Right here: https://40.media.tumblr.com/a0e68334...sqio1_1280.png

Old 02-07-2016, 08:28 PM   #60
Powder
So tired of this place

No, nobody noticed the thing that they dedicated an entire scene to at the beginning of the episode.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
master splinter, tmnt 2012