The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 06-01-2021, 03:49 PM   #681
Leo656
The Franchise

I will take that as a "No."

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 03:57 PM   #682
Galactus
Foot Elite

Cue the usual suspects saying that we shouldn't pre-judge or panic at abitrary changes to the mythos...or at least it would if I felt even most of those guys hadn't moved on. This is a dead franchise.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 03:58 PM   #683
sdp
Megan Fox = April

2023 is so far away that this could get stuck in development hell and cancelled. And if it isn't we won't be getting any info until SDCC 2022 with a teaser poster or teaser trailer.
Also those notes look like they came from a casual fan, this movie is going to suck if it does come out.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 05:03 PM   #684
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

What am I even looking at... This is supposed to be Leo's school work? What.... Because not enough s*** has been thrown at the fan yet in recent years?

To be honest, my initial thought was that this mess was just Rogen's notes and needs to lay off the smoking of stuff... It as might well have been.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 05:38 PM   #685
Galactus
Foot Elite

It could just be nothing or even an attempt to mess with us and create some buzz. I remember that when the 2012 series was in development there was a rumour the turtles were going to be in school and they were in high school with April in of those shorts Nickledeon did a few years ago which felt like idea test kitchens for future TMNT projects.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 06:33 PM   #686
CyberCubed
Overlord

The guy who posted his "leaks" said most fans would be disgusted with the Turtles, I guess making them human teens before mutation was what he was talking about.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:17 PM   #687
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I doubt it, But they were humans in the IDW comics via reincarnation.
That's not really the way reincarnation works. If you were a mouse in a previous life that doesn't make you any more mouse-like now than "not at all."

But yeah... if Rogen wants to make the TMNT into normal human boys before their mutation... yeesh. Count me out. That isn't TMNT or anything I'd be interested in seeing. And right away we could guess that "ninja" would be taking a major league backseat.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:20 PM   #688
Leo656
The Franchise

Now you got me curious as to how you know so much about reincarnation, sir.

Who/What did YOU used to be, "allegedly"?" Tell us what you know!

Old 06-01-2021, 09:44 PM   #689
CyberCubed
Overlord

I was just thinking if the Turtles are humans they can make them different ethnic groups since they don't have to be related by blood (and become "brothers" after training with Splinter), so they can say how racially diverse they are.

Leonardo will probably be Asian/Japanese because he's the most interested in martial arts. Donatello will probably be the geeky black kid, Raphael will probably be hispanic like Puerto Rican or something, and Michelangelo will be the white teen like spicoli or whatever. That way they can all be a racially diverse group before being mutated.

There was that thread a while back calling Donatello, "the black turtle" after all.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:58 PM   #690
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
There was that thread a while back calling Donatello, "the black turtle" after all.
He has the largest weapon of the four.

does that mean Raphael is asian?

Last edited by sdp; 06-01-2021 at 10:50 PM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 11:57 PM   #691
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Now you got me curious as to how you know so much about reincarnation, sir.
Well, the whole thing about reincarnation is that you don't actively remember anything from your previous life... but who we are is the sum of our memories. So it is all fairly meaningless, even if it's real and we subscribe to it. Yes, you can maybe visit a psychic and they can tell you stuff or a medicine man can tell you about how the life you lived as a pigeon, allegedly... but it might as well be anyone else's memories or experiences, no?
Old 06-02-2021, 12:06 AM   #692
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I think making them mutated humans is kind of cool for a reinterpretation. A lot of the other mutants were humans first. I don’t see why it would be a problem.

Could be friends in martial arts school who think they’re ready to fight. They mistake a situation involving the ooze for a common crime and they come in contact with it.

It’s really not that absurd. There’s a lot of sci-fi/horror stories with characters accidentally getting involved in or messing with something that changes them.

It would make they’re relationship with April easier too. Instead of doing the same - she discovers them and they all become friends.

Not sure about Splinter but he’s either been a rat that learned from watching or a human that also came in contact with mutagen. Whatever they come up with must be better than him learning from a book in PD...IF this is what they’re doing.
Old 06-02-2021, 01:17 AM   #693
Leo656
The Franchise

Once you change everything about a character or a concept but the name... it is no longer That Thing, anymore.

Old 06-02-2021, 01:31 AM   #694
AquaParade
Banned

To me, if you break down the core elements of tmnt, you have:

- family with some degree of dysfunction
- family has deep-seeded legacy that involves revenge or someone wanting vengeance on them
- outcasts
- ninja, samurai, fantasy, sci-fi elements

Do they need to be born as mutants for it to work for me? I'm not sure.
I'm pretty uncomfortable with the idea of them ever being human, but that doesn't mean it can't be done in a cool way. To be frank, my first reaction is to say "hell no."

Mind you, I'm not defending that direction, it just makes you think.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:56 AM   #695
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Ya. I know people don’t like reimaginings, or just don’t like certain things changed, in long running franchises...but it’s 1 version after 30+ years. Human-to-Turtles TMNT can’t be a thing once?

Surely there’s wiggle room to try out a different origin this far down the line. Most things in pop culture have different versions that operate separately. Until they decide to do crossovers but that’s not the point.
Old 06-02-2021, 02:12 AM   #696
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Ya. I know people don’t like reimaginings, or just don’t like certain things changed, in long running franchises...but it’s 1 version after 30+ years. Human-to-Turtles TMNT can’t be a thing once?
No. It can't. Maybe in a "What If?" comic or something. In a big budget movie this could irreparably harm TMNT at large in the worst possible way.

The Turtles aren't humans. It would be like making a Batman movie where he is a real giant bat, or where Spider-Man is a spider.
Old 06-02-2021, 03:08 AM   #697
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I was just thinking if the Turtles are humans they can make them different ethnic groups since they don't have to be related by blood (and become "brothers" after training with Splinter), so they can say how racially diverse they are.

Leonardo will probably be Asian/Japanese because he's the most interested in martial arts. Donatello will probably be the geeky black kid, Raphael will probably be hispanic like Puerto Rican or something, and Michelangelo will be the white teen like spicoli or whatever. That way they can all be a racially diverse group before being mutated.
Perfect. And April and Casey are a gay couple.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 03:26 AM   #698
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
No. It can't. Maybe in a "What If?" comic or something. In a big budget movie this could irreparably harm TMNT at large in the worst possible way.

The Turtles aren't humans. It would be like making a Batman movie where he is a real giant bat, or where Spider-Man is a spider.
I think in the context of TMNT it would be fine because the result would still be their usual forms (assuming being human first is all they’d change about them)

We all already consider the turtles “human-like”. Don’t we? We view them as individuals with personal feelings and emotions regardless of appearance.

To be clear I prefer they be turtles all along but I think being humans is an interesting idea. A little surprised it hasn’t been tried yet.
Old 06-02-2021, 04:18 AM   #699
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The Turtles were fundamentally created as mutated petshop turtles who grew up in a sewer to kill a man who have no idea about mankind beyond what they see on TV or happen to glance at as they scurry about in the shadows. They look outwards inwardly at a society they have no part in and have never have a part in. Until... April and Casey start to ease into their lives a little. And that becomes the interesting thing. As they begin to experience this thing they had no idea about.

Humans who become turtles radically changes everything. And removes -- for me -- like the only interesting part of the equation beyond the Japanese clan intrigue... which kind of has to be drastically reduced in a former human TMNT. Because what? Now some kids in a NY high school get mutated, meet "Splinter" and he sells them on some grand cause and invites them down into the sewer? That's stupid. That has nothing to do with TMNT.

0 interest in such a thing. And why should we hold TMNT at such a lower standard than other big properties?
Old 06-02-2021, 05:14 AM   #700
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
The Turtles were fundamentally created as mutated petshop turtles who grew up in a sewer to kill a man who have no idea about mankind beyond what they see on TV or happen to glance at as they scurry about in the shadows. They look outwards inwardly at a society they have no part in and have never have a part in. Until... April and Casey start to ease into their lives a little. And that becomes the interesting thing. As they begin to experience this thing they had no idea about.
But have they ever been portrayed with such mystery from there standpoint? Maybe in the comics, I don’t know, but I mean in the cartoons and movies. They’re usually portrayed as typical “people” who have lived sheltered lives.

Quote:
Humans who become turtles radically changes everything. And removes -- for me -- like the only interesting part of the equation beyond the Japanese clan intrigue... which kind of has to be drastically reduced in a former human TMNT. Because what? Now some kids in a NY high school get mutated, meet "Splinter" and he sells them on some grand cause and invites them down into the sewer? That's stupid. That has nothing to do with TMNT.

0 interest in such a thing. And why should we hold TMNT at such a lower standard than other big properties?
Put that way it sounds dumb but being human first can definitely be interesting. For one they’d have family and friends. People who may not accept them after mutation. Hiding means relatives or the police could be looking for them. Characters besides villains. They don’t have to live in the sewers.

The Splinter/Shredder feud might have to be reworked a little but it’s not like he just uses them to get revenge. Being human first could actually introduce there own personal feuds. Not other teenagers. People who did there family wrong.