The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 09-04-2003, 06:51 PM   #1
kicknz
Thug

Commandosaurs?

At the 2000 Small Press Expo in Bethesda, Maryland, Peter Laird and Jim Lawson had a collection of Commandosaurs mini-comics for sale that were, as far as I know, ONLY available at that convention. I was wondering if anyone out there happened to be at that convention and picked up the set? I'm VERY curious about this. Thanks.
kicknz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 09:55 PM   #2
Roseangelo
Emperor

Mirage released a set of mini-comics in the early 90s. I believe there was a Commandosaurs book among these. That's all I've seen of Commandosaurs, though. For awhile I thought there was an actual comic published with this title, but I've never found any proof of it.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 09:55 AM   #3
kicknz
Thug

Yeah, I know what release you're talking about, it's "Mirage Mini-Comics" from 1989 and it has a 'Commandosaurs' mini-comic and a 'Terrorsaurs' mini-comics. However, back in early 2000 I asked Peter Laird about it and he said he and Jim Lawson were finally doing the art for the eight stories that he had written for himself and Steve Bissette to do a decade earlier. Then when I asked about it several months later he said they had finished them and Dan Berger told me they had been selling them at the Small Press Expo (which was, I believe, August/September of that year). Anyway, I asked to buy a set of the mini-comics and for some reason Peter Laird didn't want to sell them anymore. This is really frustrating because I am the world's #1 Jim Lawson fan. The only thing worse than never getting my hands on these mini-comics is if that Guzzi Lemans graphic novel he made never comes out.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:17 AM   #4
xZAOx
Stone Warrior

were there ever any guzzi leman's comics? i read the short stories in plastron cafe, and thought they were great. i emailed dan berger about it, and he said that to his knowledge nothing else was made. now whats this about a GN? just a GN, or were there individual comics made?
xZAOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 02:08 PM   #5
kicknz
Thug

In 1996 Antarctic Press released a 2-issue mini-series of 'Guzzi Lemans' by Jim Lawson. It actually collected the story that was intended to be the back-up feature in the 'Raphael & Casey Jones' mini-series. Also, last year Jim Lawson did a 120-page Guzzi Lemans graphic novel which he solicited to Previews but didn't receive enough pre-orders for to justify printing it up. This fall he has the Paleo TPB and 2 new issues of Paleo coming out, after which I think he may try to solicit Guzzi Lemans again. It's nice to see some other Jim Lawson fans. He's done a LOT of cool stuff, TMNT and otherwise.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:38 PM   #6
xZAOx
Stone Warrior

120 pages of guzzi?!?!! i want!
xZAOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
funatic
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicknz View Post
At the 2000 Small Press Expo in Bethesda, Maryland, Peter Laird and Jim Lawson had a collection of Commandosaurs mini-comics for sale that were, as far as I know, ONLY available at that convention. I was wondering if anyone out there happened to be at that convention and picked up the set? I'm VERY curious about this. Thanks.
I'm not even sure if you post on here anymore but I'm wondering if these are the comics you're referring to:

I got them at Peter Laird's last appearance at Shellback Artworks for Free Comic Book Day, and have been meaning to post about them ever since. They are copywrit 2012, so I doubt they are the same - but maybe he just reprinted a new batch? Anyhoo, I'd never seen any Commandosaur material outside of that mini-comic, so I had to snag the set!

They are each around 12-16 pages, story, layouts, and inks by Laird, pencils by Lawson. The writing is nothing special but they sure are pretty for little self-published books. Pete said one of the reasons he did the project with Jim is because he loves to draw dinosaurs and machines, and well, that's pretty much what this is in a nutshell. Some panels:

There are also some cool concept drawings by Peter Laird (circa 1986!) and pictures of sculptures of the characters by Michael Dooney:

Sorry to dig up a dead thread, but that's what we do with dinosaurs right?
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
Powder
So tired of this place

Oh maaaan, those are great! I'd love to get my hands on a set.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #9
wilddiverse
Stone Warrior

neat stuff-- I'd like a set as well.

ad from FantaCon Magazine 1989 (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=37562):
wilddiverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #10
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicknz View Post
In 1996 Antarctic Press released a 2-issue mini-series of 'Guzzi Lemans' by Jim Lawson. It actually collected the story that was intended to be the back-up feature in the 'Raphael &amp; Casey Jones' mini-series. Also, last year Jim Lawson did a 120-page Guzzi Lemans graphic novel which he solicited to Previews but didn't receive enough pre-orders for to justify printing it up. This fall he has the Paleo TPB and 2 new issues of Paleo coming out, after which I think he may try to solicit Guzzi Lemans again. It's nice to see some other Jim Lawson fans. He's done a LOT of cool stuff, TMNT and otherwise.
wow, those mini comics are really beautiful, would LOVE to get my hands on these!!....hey, what did you say?a paleo trade coming THIS FALL?!?!?!?!the loner story then??I wasnt aware of this and am a big lawson fan as well...
marcelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:24 PM   #11
wilddiverse
Stone Warrior

he was referring to the trade from Fall 2003- this thread is ten years old.
wilddiverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #12
funatic
Mad Scientist

I wonder if that add from Fantacon referred to these, but they never got made with Bissette, and instead got put on the back burner for years until Lawson drew them recently? Or are there possibly 2 sets of mini-comics?? plus still no one seems to know what was exclusively sold at the small press expo in Maryland... These commandosaurs are a mysterious bunch.

And for those interested in a set - maybe Laird will have some more to sell at his signing with Lawson next weekend at Shellback? I won't be able to attend but those who will should keep an eye out! Someone should at least ask him if there was another set produced in 1989 and/or 2000.

Last edited by funatic; 09-06-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #13
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilddiverse View Post
he was referring to the trade from Fall 2003- this thread is ten years old.
hahahahaha, oh man what a bummer";(..I didnt even realize that
marcelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:10 AM   #14
Venom
Space Knight

Damn, I want a set of those, too! I've always been intrigued by this concept of Laird's.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:11 PM   #15
funatic
Mad Scientist

any paleontologists out there still looking to dig up a set of these hard to find comics by Lawson & Laird are in luck:

http://www.miragelicensing.com/paypa...andosaurs.html

They even have the resin sculpture of Broc for sale... if you're ready to drop a grand.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:21 PM   #16
Powder
So tired of this place

That art print is new material, dated 2015. Reads "Not Yet Extinct" & features not only Lawson's sig but Laird's as well... Are they bringing it back? That'd be so cool.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:25 PM   #17
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I doubt the stories/writing are anything awesome, but MAN that's some awesome looking art.

Dinosaurs... so epic.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:12 PM   #18
funatic
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
That art print is new material, dated 2015. Reads "Not Yet Extinct" & features not only Lawson's sig but Laird's as well... Are they bringing it back? That'd be so cool.
Maybe!? As discussed earlier in the thread, the timeline on these is still pretty unclear, as they're copywrit 2012. Maybe Bissette did the layouts or pencils way back in the 80s and Jim recently did the final art? It definitely looks like his more recent style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I doubt the stories/writing are anything awesome, but MAN that's some awesome looking art.
You are correct sir. Having read them all, it's pretty much bad to average stories coupled with the two things Jim loves to draw the most, dinos and machines! I'd say it's definitely worth the $25 for this niche piece of Mirage history.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:43 PM   #19
DK2
Stone Warrior

Geez, I can't even check this stuff out just to order. Mirage won't even ship to Canada for the Commandosaurs stuff, WTH?! Hows it any different then shipping any of their other comics?
DK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:01 AM   #20
SonOfZog
Thug

Could anyone here buy a commandosaurs set for us overseas-ers and then pass them on to us once we pay cost plus shipping?
SonOfZog is offline   Reply With Quote