PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite TMNT game based on the '87 series?

Voidoid
05-22-2010, 09:49 AM
Hey, what's your favorite Turtle game from the 1987 series?

From Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES) to Tournament Fighters.

Mine's would have to be Turtles In Time. The game was just down right perfect, to controls, THE MUSIC, and the enemies, I just love everything about it. I also love how Konami took almost of everything directly from the show. A follow up would have to be Manhattan Missions for the PC.

gobo
05-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Tournament Fighters for SNES for the wow factor.
The Hyperstone Heist for story/adventure.

How many, if any, were solely based on the 'toon? TMNT1 (NES) was mostly original enemies. TMNT2 (NES) was partly as well. TMNT3 (NES) was Playmates-heavy. TF (SNES) was Archie-heavy (with that 1 then-Mirage-exclusive, Karai and the 1 all-original, Aska). Even The Hyperstone Heist (Genesis) had Tatsu from the movies. What about the others? I don't recall.

Candy Kappa
05-22-2010, 10:52 AM
Turtles in Time (SNES)

I'd also say TMNT (NES) but as Gobo said it had mostly original characters. And had a comic cover as game cover, that's awesome

Voidoid
05-22-2010, 11:11 AM
Tournament Fighters for SNES for the wow factor.
The Hyperstone Heist for story/adventure.

How many, if any, were solely based on the 'toon? TMNT1 (NES) was mostly original enemies. TMNT2 (NES) was partly as well. TMNT3 (NES) was Playmates-heavy. TF (SNES) was Archie-heavy (with that 1 then-Mirage-exclusive, Karai and the 1 all-original, Aska). Even The Hyperstone Heist (Genesis) had Tatsu from the movies. What about the others? I don't recall.

Very true, but I think the original Gameboy titles were mostly based on the show, don't recall to well. :ohwell:

Bizzy Bone
05-22-2010, 01:15 PM
The original TMNT ARCADE GAME FTW!

Voidoid
05-22-2010, 02:04 PM

Oooooh man, soo many quarters well spent at Chuck E. Cheese!!

Prowler
05-24-2010, 12:58 PM
Turtles in Time followed by the original arcade game.

Andrew NDB
05-24-2010, 01:22 PM
While I can't speak of the current generation TMNT games (for Wii and such), the only good TMNT game I've played, in my opinion, was the first. From exploring various sewers, exploring various maps, even driving the Turtle Van, and swimming sequences, it was the most diverse game. A lot of it required you to be quite strategical in the way you'd approach different situations and bosses. People complain it was too difficult... boo-hoo.

TMNT II - IV, Hyperstone Heist? Lame, brainless button-mashers... poor man's Final Fight clones, with even less diversity in villains (mowing through different rainbow colored Foot Clan members gets real old, real fast). And Tournament Fighters, just a poor man's Street Fighter II.

The Gameboy games were a bit fun. More in line with that first TMNT game, but far less involving.

gobo
05-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Anything to go against the grain, eh, Andrew? ^_^

Andrew NDB
05-24-2010, 02:07 PM
I stated my case.

gobo
05-24-2010, 02:26 PM
I sense defensiveness there. No offense was intended by my remark. Just observing patterns...

Kendamu
05-24-2010, 02:48 PM

Agreed! The button-mashing. The levels. The music. The perfect timing in its release during my early years as a fan. The Engrish character profiles!!!

One of these days soon, I'm gonna own a TMNT arcade machine.

In the meantime, maybe the lightest incarnation of the Xbox 360 that can support it will do.

Andrew NDB
05-24-2010, 03:50 PM
Agreed! The button-mashing. The levels. The music. The perfect timing in its release during my early years as a fan. The Engrish character profiles!!!

One of these days soon, I'm gonna own a TMNT arcade machine.

In the meantime, maybe the lightest incarnation of the Xbox 360 that can support it will do.

Never heard of emulation? Could download MAME and the ROMs for it and be playing it on your computer in arcade-perfect "glory." Could even buy a PC arcade controller/stick to complete your trip down nostalgia lane, if you so desired.

Ninjinister
05-24-2010, 04:01 PM
TMNT II - IV, Hyperstone Heist? Lame, brainless button-mashers... poor man's Final Fight clones, with even less diversity in villains (mowing through different rainbow colored Foot Clan members gets real old, real fast). And Tournament Fighters, just a poor man's Street Fighter II.

Are you just not a fan of those genres or something?

Candy Kappa
05-24-2010, 04:21 PM
I really liked re-shelled, but it's a fun game. And i managed to get my girlfriend to play with me couple of days ago.

as soon as the 4th member of geek floor comes home I'm gonna propose a 4 player match combined with a 4 player game of mario and movie night.

we're moving out soon... end of school year

DonatelloDomeHead31
05-24-2010, 06:45 PM
I have to go with the Turtles in Time for the SNES. Also the NES ninja turtles arcade game because it has the Pizza Hut sponsor in some of the levels.

Andrew NDB
05-24-2010, 10:17 PM
I sense defensiveness there.

I'm always like that.

Are you just not a fan of those genres or something?

In moderation. I just liked TMNT II-IV and Hyperstone Heist when they were called "Final Fight" and "Streets of Rage." But maybe you're right... the walk-to-the-right-of-the-screen-mashing-two-buttons-against-the-same-enemies-over-and-over genre isn't something I have a great deal of patience with. Not because it's difficult or taxing, but rather the opposite... it's not creative, it's not immersive, it's not anything but repetitive and uninspiring.

The first TMNT game made a genuine effort to draw us into the world of the TMNT. The other games, you could replace the TMNT with the Double Dragon brothers, the Battletoads, Cody, Haggar, the Simpsons or just about anybody and they'd be exactly the same games.

Ninjinister
05-24-2010, 10:39 PM
I'm always like that.

In moderation. I just liked TMNT II-IV and Hyperstone Heist when they were called "Final Fight" and "Streets of Rage." But maybe you're right... the walk-to-the-right-of-the-screen-mashing-two-buttons-against-the-same-enemies-over-and-over genre isn't something I have a great deal of patience with. Not because it's difficult or taxing, but rather the opposite... it's not creative, it's not immersive, it's not anything but repetitive and uninspiring.

The first TMNT game made a genuine effort to draw us into the world of the TMNT. The other games, you could replace the TMNT with the Double Dragon brothers, the Battletoads, Cody, Haggar, the Simpsons or just about anybody and they'd be exactly the same games.

Sometimes a game doesn't need to be inventive.

Sometimes you just need to hit stuff.

Candy Kappa
05-25-2010, 12:46 AM
Sometimes you just need to hit stuff.

that comment with your current avatar is golden:lol:

Ninjinister
05-25-2010, 11:31 AM
that comment with your current avatar is golden:lol:

Golden Retriever, maybe...

shuriken
05-25-2010, 01:59 PM
While I can't speak of the current generation TMNT games (for Wii and such), the only good TMNT game I've played, in my opinion, was the first. From exploring various sewers, exploring various maps, even driving the Turtle Van, and swimming sequences, it was the most diverse game. A lot of it required you to be quite strategical in the way you'd approach different situations and bosses. People complain it was too difficult... boo-hoo.

The Gameboy games were a bit fun. More in line with that first TMNT game, but far less involving.

Although It's not my favorite, It's deffenitely up there. I really like the first one for this reason. As much as I enjoy button mashinf ninja butt kicking awesomeness, If I want a real Beat em up I put in Streets of Rage.
TMNT for the Nes was aewsome, the difficulty is even more awesome because when you finish it I got a sense of accomplishment I didn't feel when beating Hyperstone Heist, TMNT4, or Fall of the Foot Clan. They are fun, I enjoy the music and the bosses, but it's erally just more of the same.
Up until Radical Rescue, which was also awesome.
BTW my fave is Manhatten Project. :D Although it is another beat em up, the added special moves, the many bosses and level designs edge out the more creative and original TMNT.

TMNT-Leonardo
05-29-2010, 04:11 PM
TMNT IV Turtles in Time for SNES. The gameboy games are fun to, simple walk and hit.

Kendamu
05-29-2010, 05:17 PM
Never heard of emulation? Could download MAME and the ROMs for it and be playing it on your computer in arcade-perfect "glory." Could even buy a PC arcade controller/stick to complete your trip down nostalgia lane, if you so desired.

Don't worry. I'm more in-the-know than that. I've emulated the game (and many, many others) plenty of times and have had a lot of fun with it. It's not just some nostalgia trip I'm after. I legitimately like the game and would like to own it for real. Sure, it's not the most explosively mind-blowing and diverse game in the history of ever, but I don't need it to be. I have other games if I need something more than a fun beat-em-up to kill an hour of downtime.

For example, staying with TMNT, I'm also a fan of the first TMNT game On NES that everyone bitches about. I like the fact that I have to use a bit of strategy and there's no guarantee that I'm going to eventually beat it. I own a copy of the game that still has the box and instruction booklet if that tells you anything about how much I like it.

I just happen to like the Arcade Game a little bit more because I don't have to invest much of myself into it and I can have a little bit of mindless fun before moving onto whatever else I'm doing that day.

voltron80
05-30-2010, 03:28 PM
1. TMNT IV:Turtles in Time
2. TMNT 3:TMP
3.TMNT 2: the Arcade game
4. TMNT 1: tough, fun and who doesn't like driving the Party Wagon around
5.TMNT:Turtles In Time re-shelled
And the best of the rest were TMNT the original arcade game and TMNT Turtles in time arcade game.

TheCanadiandrome
06-06-2010, 03:48 PM
the ones i played for NES and Genesis are the ones i liked the most.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles & Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II the arcade game for NES & Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Tournament Fighters

i'd love to one day own all the ones for NES, SNES, and Game Boy

Redeemer
06-28-2010, 10:50 PM
1.TMNT 3: Manhatten Project
2.TMNT 2 arcade
3. TMNT 4:Turtles in Time
4.TMNT: Hyperstone Heist
5.TMNT (G-Cube)

Charlotte_Sometimes
07-15-2010, 11:46 PM
For me it's definetly TMNT: Turtles in Time.
Then it would be TMNT III on NES, and probably TMNT III on Gameboy afterwards.
TMNT II on NES would be fourth.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
07-20-2010, 05:33 AM
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time

Redeemer
07-21-2010, 01:48 AM
I am still wondering if they will re-make anymore games?

Voidoid
07-21-2010, 06:51 AM
I am still wondering if they will re-make anymore games?

After seeing Turtles In Time:Reshelled, I hope not. I think Ubisoft have the license for Turtle games now, and after seeing what they already did, I keep my fingers crossed they won't remake any of the Turtles games.