PDA

View Full Version : Don sounds way too much like Raph

CyberCubed
07-07-2012, 05:15 PM
As much as I love Rob Paulsen I think casting him as Donatello was a mistake. He sounds way too much like Raphael and its distracting to those of us who grew up with the OT.

I feel like I can't get into this version of Donatello's personality because I keep thinking of Raph everytime he speaks. I feel like Nick's Don won't have a true identity of his own aside from his crush on April.

Drose18
07-07-2012, 05:19 PM
I agree with you for the same reason.

Jester
07-07-2012, 05:20 PM
Another day, another gripe from Cubed.

What about Cipes as Mikey? Sounds a lot like Beast Boy. Will that cloud you're view of Mikey?

Wait and see. Characters can have similar sounding voices, where the acting lies is how the CHARACTERIZATION is pulled off. He may sound like Raph, but if the dialogue and actions are totally Donnie, I'm sure you'll get the heck over it.

CyberCubed
07-07-2012, 05:22 PM
Actually Mike sounds very little like Beastboy that's why I'm fine with it. It's a completely different tone to his voice.

Not to mention that's a completely different show but comparing two TMNT shows is very different.

TurtleTitan97
07-07-2012, 05:27 PM
I don't really mind that Donnie sounds like OT Raph. I'm excited to see what Paulsen will bring to the table as Donnie.

Jester
07-07-2012, 05:29 PM
I don't really mind that Donnie sounds like OT Raph. I'm excited to see what Paulsen will bring to the table as Donnie.
^ this.

Love the siggy quote, BTW.

TurtleTitan97
07-07-2012, 05:34 PM
^ this.

Love the siggy quote, BTW.

Thanks Jester. :tsmile:

Zany Orange Dude
07-07-2012, 05:45 PM

Gotta agree with Titan here. I think he makes a good Donnie from what we've heard from him so far.:tsmile:

Cure
07-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Don sounds like every Rob Paulsen character, but oh well.

Jester
07-07-2012, 06:10 PM
He sounds just like Pinky or Carl Weezer or Steel Beak or Dr. Scratchnsniff...

Lethal Lullaby
07-07-2012, 06:18 PM

Gotta agree with Titan here. I think he makes a good Donnie from what we've heard from him so far.:tsmile:

I'm cool with the new Donatello voice. Just because the voice is a lil different don't mean that Don will be very different.

EDIT : I agree. With these comments. :toops: :twink:

Oniri
07-07-2012, 06:30 PM
I agree with waiting and seeing how Don's personality works out with the voice instead of judging on the voice alone. How you think about the voice really depends on the how the character is represented and in context. I didn't realize that Razor was voiced by Barry till years later and Razor had a similar personality to Don AND the shows were playing at the same time.

...Are you serious? There are times when Rob used his regular voice for certain characters and that may sound the same, but Rob has a HUGE range and had acted as characters with all kind of voices.

Please take no offense and I apologize if this was a joke, but what you just typed was a really mind-boggling generalization. :teek:

Raph's Girl
07-07-2012, 06:36 PM
In the 2 trailers I've seen it's the newest one (Leo intro) in which Don sounds more like Raph with no difference really in the tone. But in the first one I noticed a slight difference. Im sure he has a different tone. I know Rob can and has done different voices for his characters. It's just a wait and see. *shrugs* He'll be able to pull it off and soon we won't care at all.

Cure
07-07-2012, 06:45 PM
...Are you serious? There are times when Rob used his regular voice for certain characters and that may sound the same, but Rob has a HUGE range and had acted as characters with all kind of voices.

Please take no offense and I apologize if this was a joke, but what you just typed was a really mind-boggling generalization. :teek:

Uh, yeah. I'm serious.

Genesis
07-07-2012, 06:52 PM

And anyway, I like my Donnie with a snarky side. Intellectual sarcasm for the win.

The Stryker
07-07-2012, 07:12 PM
A rob paulsen character that sounds exactly like another Rob paulsen character?

NO WAY.

Redeemer
07-07-2012, 07:38 PM
As much as I love Rob Paulsen I think casting him as Donatello was a mistake. He sounds way too much like Raphael and its distracting to those of us who grew up with the OT.

I feel like I can't get into this version of Donatello's personality because I keep thinking of Raph everytime he speaks. I feel like Nick's Don won't have a true identity of his own aside from his crush on April.

I actually agree with Cyber on this one. When I heard him speak initially Raph popped in my head, but I think Rob Paulsen reflects IDW Don

As far as Mikey sounding like Beast Boy, I actually dont agree... maybe a little, but BB doesn't pop in my head like OT Raph does

CyberCubed
07-07-2012, 07:49 PM
If Nick's Donnie is very sarcastic and cracks jokes, I'll practically see him as Raph with a purple bandana.

I guess Nick's TMNT will have TWO Raph's. One more similar to the Mirage/4kids Raph's, and another who is a reincarnation of OT Raph! :o

Genesis
07-07-2012, 07:52 PM
So, in other words... one Raph.

zkarlette
07-07-2012, 07:53 PM
First we'll have to see if Sean astin is a good Raphael...

Jester
I kinda like the idea that all the Turtles will be sharing in the jokes. Part of what got old with the 4kids series, was the fact Mikey was the only one who could be funny...or so laird and the writers thought.

I'll admit, I wish Paulsen had come up with a more distinct voice for Donnie, but depending on the dialogue, it could work.

MikeandRaph87
When I hear Don's voice I think Raph if I close my eyes. It will take some getting used to because to me still Rob Paulsen IS Raphael. I say that because he is what made me love the character. Looking past the voice its the characterization that truly matters. Is Don the tech genius speaking "nerd" and Raphael the sarcastic joking hothead? In time I will learn to get past any problems the voices might bring like thinking Raph when I hear Don.

k_lala
07-07-2012, 07:56 PM
I'm ok with it, Raph in general is suppose to sound like the raph we've heard in the last 2 animated series and the movies.

You'll just have to get use to it.

Zany Orange Dude
07-07-2012, 08:00 PM
I kinda like the idea that all the Turtles will be sharing in the jokes. Part of what got old with the 4kids series, was the fact Mikey was the only one who could be funny...or so laird and the writers thought.

This is one thing I am really fond of too! It will be refreshing to have all the turtles have a share in making jokes! :tgrin:

sdp
07-07-2012, 08:12 PM
Terrible idea to bring him back for a new version of the turtles doing his old turtle voice. If it was the same character it'd be different.

Genesis
07-07-2012, 08:19 PM
I don't think he'd suit the current-age Raph with his usual voice style.

Zany Orange Dude
07-07-2012, 08:38 PM
The new Raph is so much more angry than the OT one. The voice would clash badly with the character.

Cowabunga Carl
07-07-2012, 09:53 PM
I don't know. I'm cool with Rob doing Don. For me Raph was Nolan North even though I grew up with Rob. Plus rewatching the old show Raph sounds deeper then Donnie does.

Donnie
07-07-2012, 10:46 PM
I share the same concerns, but I'm reserving total judgement until after I see the show. Methinks you're being a little premature in your reasoning, Cubed. Paulsen's a seasoned vet and I'm sure he'll bring something cool and unique to Donnie's character.

DonatelloFan
07-07-2012, 10:52 PM
Like I said in another thread, I don't care what others say, Rob Paulsen's voice is instantly recognizable pretty much every time I hear it. And every voice I've ever heard him play, I again, instantly hear Raphael. He's a great voice actor, and I love his work, but it is what it is. He doesn't change up his voice for many of his roles.

I don't mind him being cast, but it is going to take me a little while to get used to it. Hopefully the stories and animation will distract me.

I don't know the actor playing Mikey, so it's the first I'm hearing of him. It's just Donatello is going to have to grow on me. Oh, and Jason Biggs as Leo, while I thought it would be horrible and I would just hear Jim from American Pie, has turned out to be nice so far.

But it's just weird that they would bring him to the new show, when they knew he played Raphael in the old show. I guess they were going for who was best for whatever role, but still, it's ROB PAULSEN, he will forever be Raphael. I'm rooting for him to do a GREAT job with Donny though. I can't wait to hear more.

Mr.Turtle
07-07-2012, 10:55 PM
that's wut i'm saying...it goes pitch once a while. not very stable.

k_lala
07-07-2012, 10:59 PM
At least they actually look and sound like teenagers.

Cure
07-07-2012, 11:07 PM
Like I said in another thread, I don't care what others say, Rob Paulsen's voice is instantly recognizable pretty much every time I hear it. And every voice I've ever heard him play, I again, instantly hear Raphael. He's a great voice actor, and I love his work, but it is what it is. He doesn't change up his voice for many of his roles.

Yeah, exactly. He might have like a small accent or something TRYING to be different, but they all sound pretty much the same.

Mr.Turtle
07-07-2012, 11:08 PM
^ i think that's because of his missing tooth.

Cure
07-07-2012, 11:20 PM
...what? I'm talking about Rob Paulsen. Stop being stupid.

Mr.Turtle
07-07-2012, 11:24 PM
...u kno it always makes me feel that ur giving a finger in ur avatar.

DonatelloFan
07-07-2012, 11:26 PM
This guy is either 13 years old, or isn't American.

shezcrafti
07-07-2012, 11:40 PM
Wheel of Morality, turn turn turn. Tell us the lesson that we should learn.

Moral #12: Popular voice actors have voices that are easily recognized (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HeyItsThatVoice). (Shocking!)

NameGoesHere1066
07-08-2012, 12:40 AM
Part of what got old with the 4kids series, was the fact Mikey was the only one who could be funny...or so laird and the writers thought.

and most of the time he was just irritating about it, not amusing.

Andrew NDB
07-08-2012, 01:05 AM

But it's not really for anybody but doe-eyed little tykes who've never seen any Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, so what does it matter?

They're trying to recreate a phenomenon. If the handful of 30 or 40 year-olds that still watch children's cartoons happen to climb aboard, so be it, but newsflash... they're not gonna lower the ramp extra special for you guys.

Xav
07-08-2012, 01:51 AM
...u kno it always makes me feel that ur giving a finger in ur avatar.:lol: Mr. Turtle FTW.

Jester
07-08-2012, 01:57 AM
If anything they hope those of us old enough to remember the "original series" will persuade our kids to watch, more so than us ourselves.

Candy Kappa
07-08-2012, 03:39 AM
At least its a good voice, you spoiled Voice Actor brats.

Here home we got bare enough voice actors to be able to count them on two hands, and all of them lack any voice range.

When 4Kids ran I heard the Norwegian voice of Mikey on three other shows. Exact same boring vocie.

HerpDerp
07-08-2012, 05:11 AM
I really don't see the problem. But then again, I never grew up watching the OT, so maybe it's just because I'm not used to the "original" Raph voice?
Don't get me wrong, I have been watching through the original eps (I'm on Season 3 now) and I can totally tell that new Don is old Raph, but I'm still not seeing why that's a problem. It's a new series, for a new generation of kids who have likely never even seen the OT - at least, not frequently enough that they'd notice or care that one of the voice actors is the same.

CyberCubed
07-08-2012, 08:27 AM
But it's not really for anybody but doe-eyed little tykes who've never seen any Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, so what does it matter?

They're trying to recreate a phenomenon. If the handful of 30 or 40 year-olds that still watch children's cartoons happen to climb aboard, so be it, but newsflash... they're not gonna lower the ramp extra special for you guys.

Yeah, but them reusing the classic theme song and actually inviting older fans to their events shows they know older fans will be watching.

30-40 is a bit too high, IMO, most of us who grew up with the OT are in our mid to late 20's, only a handful of us have broken the 30 barrier. Also you would be surprised how many adults still watch cartoons, particularly the DC shows.

sdp
07-08-2012, 08:59 AM
Target audience for cartoons is kids, that doesn't mean nearly all cartoons try to appeal to older audiences. Turtle-mania was around for quite a while and many generations of kids. I'm just in my mid-20s as are a ton of turtle fans who grew up with OT and there's plenty of people younger than me that grew up with the OT. Andrew has complained about how turtle fans are really 30+ since I had just turned 20.

I guess they brought back Bulk from the original MMPower Rangers show in the new show for no reason since obviously the fans who grew up with the originals how aren't watching and the current target audience knows who this character from nearly 20 years ago is.

Scud
07-08-2012, 09:17 AM
I don't see this as a problem.
If people can't get past the fact that an actor (voice or otherwise) has done other roles then actors would only ever be employed once.

I mean look at Vince Vaughn, has he ever played a different character in any of the films he's played.

~S~

sdp
07-08-2012, 10:17 AM
This is different though, from the little we've heard he's still playing Raph but isn't. The equivalent is to have Kevin Conroy the voice of Batman voice Robin with HIS voice of Batman in a new Batman cartoon. This isn't like having Adam West be the Mayor of Gotham like some Batman cartoons have done or Conroy being Dick's father.

Donatello19
07-08-2012, 10:42 AM
I think the new Donatello is awesome! his sarcasm is funny when he told Leo "seriously just yell get him" LOL :tlol:

Leonardo Mystic
07-08-2012, 11:51 AM
For the one clip that I heard/saw... *shudder*; I think he should have done a Gusto Gummy approach for Don's voice. It would have worked a little better.

Jester
07-08-2012, 02:33 PM
But Gusto Gummi sounds more like FW Raph than this new Donnie voice does?

zkarlette
07-08-2012, 02:38 PM
I don't know why nobody mentions this...but I feel that not only does he sound like OT Raph,he also sounds older,and I though the hole point off this show was to give them a younger feel(something I'm not quite in favor btw..)Reason why they didn't want a Nolan North version of Raph.

Leonardo Mystic
07-08-2012, 10:21 PM
But Gusto Gummi sounds more like FW Raph than this new Donnie voice does?

I don't know. :tconfuse: I haven't seen '87 toon since I was a little girl. The voices he's done that stuck pretty well in my mind was Gusto Gummi and Gladstone Gander from Ducktales. They of course sound alike, but their characters' tones just seemed a little more nasal.

Mr.Turtle
07-08-2012, 10:32 PM
anyways...raph's growth's the fastest among the 4. the change of his voice's the subtlest too.

ToTheNines
07-09-2012, 06:04 AM
Yeah, exactly. He might have like a small accent or something TRYING to be different, but they all sound pretty much the same.

Wel... duh.

The issue isn't Paulsen not changing his voice, it's the fact that he was cast to play a turtle at all.

Being a big cartoon fan, I love hearing all my favorite VA's in various cartoons. So it's no issue when I hear a bit of Beast Boy in Mikey, or the millions of characters KMR has played in Shredder, but hearing another turtle in this new Donatello is what's irritating.

That being said, it's not the end of the world. I love Rob Paulsen and I'm sure I'll get used to it sooner rather than later.

Cowabunga Carl
07-09-2012, 07:18 AM
I don't know, I hear more of the OT Don in 2k12 Don. I mean there are tones of Paulson's Raph but it seems like he is trying to mix Don and Raph together to make a new voice.

Green Machine
07-09-2012, 07:24 AM
I think the gap in Donatello's teeth is gonna bother me more than his voice!

Mr.Turtle
07-09-2012, 08:03 AM
i dont c nothing wrong with his voice to be honest, the accent somebody noticed is totally due to the gap he got between his teeth.

Master Splinter
07-09-2012, 10:10 AM
I don't see what the big deal is really... I think he sounds great... I mean it's not like I look at Mila Kunis and see Meg Griffin... It's a different character, just the voice sounds similar...

-ms

Cowabunga Carl
07-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Master Splinter I think it is just the nature of the beast. People are going to find something to nitpick and right now it is this.

In all honesty I can separate different versions and having the same voice actor in another role wont bother me. It's not like I'm going to forget what show I'm watching. I mean the animation is very different and the tone looks to be different as well. If anything this new show and the inclusion of Rob Paulson just makes me nostalgic for the old show and want to watch it again too.

Filespit
07-09-2012, 02:53 PM
Having Rob Paulsen as Don doesn't bother me that much. So far I think it sounds just fine and I actually think it's kinda cool that they do this. I'm totally stoked to see the result when the show finally starts. I must also admit that Jason Biggs sounds great as Leo. I've always pictured Leo having a much more mature and clearer voice, but Biggs does it just fine.

Mr.Turtle
07-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Master Splinter I think it is just the nature of the beast. People are going to find something to nitpick and right now it is this.

In all honesty I can separate different versions and having the same voice actor in another role wont bother me. It's not like I'm going to forget what show I'm watching. I mean the animation is very different and the tone looks to be different as well. If anything this new show and the inclusion of Rob Paulson just makes me nostalgic for the old show and want to watch it again too.

yea like i think raph's voice's too pitch sometimes but ppl say it's alright but i think don's voice's alright but ppl say its not.

Drose18
07-09-2012, 05:24 PM
I'm honestly starting to accept this.

Vincent
07-14-2012, 07:28 AM
Frankly, Rob Paulsen would have been my first choice for Don, probably even if I didn't know he had played Raph. He's a great voice actor, and is in exactly the range I'd imagine Don's voice to be in. Then again, I didn't grow up with large amounts of the 1987 show, and only saw it in English after reading Archie and Mirage comics and seeing the movies.
The casting of Rob doesn't bother me one bit. However, the idea that he has a crush on April does. It seems like something out of a bad fanfic, and is in my opinion somewhat squicky (not just because he's a turtle, but because I've always seen April as a sort of mother figure to the turtles). I hope they drop that storyline early on. Also, apparently they've got April wanting to be a reporter. I get it, she was a reporter in the old show and the movies, but if they're gonna have some kind of connection between her and Don, why not go back to the source and make her a computer programmer? At least then there'd be a reason for the two to interact extensively, seeing as Don is an engineer. The whole thing just seems like kind of a jumbled mess of ideas that don't go together.
But I have no problem with the casting.

Mr.Turtle
07-14-2012, 09:11 AM
im not a fan of turtle 2 human crush either... it's just 2 depressing...

sdp
07-16-2012, 02:48 PM
He sounds exactly like Raph in most of the clips, he may say a line or two with a different/good Donnie voice but it quickly sounds like Raphael again. Terrible casting, the fact that Donnie is sarcastic in this version only accentuates that fact. It's not only because it's the same VA, I never thought Max from Mighty Max was Raphael, the characters were different and while Mikey does reek of Beast Boy a few lines it's not as prominent as Donnie with Rob because he does try to change his voice a bit from BB and he wasn't a turtle before even if his character was also the goofball of the team.

Mr.Turtle
07-16-2012, 02:51 PM
^ he IS raph in OT....

Bossk
07-16-2012, 03:01 PM
I actually think his voice sounds good for Donnie. From the small clips of the voice I heard, even though it sounds like Raph from '87, I can also easily see it being Donnie now, considering how the voices are changing.

Mr.Turtle
07-16-2012, 03:10 PM
idk why they make him raph in OT tho... its hard to understand ppl's thought frm the 80's.

zkarlette
07-16-2012, 03:16 PM
Fashion from the 80's was and is hard to understand :lol:

I think the more I listen to him,I'll get used to him playing Don.

Mona_Lisa
07-16-2012, 04:50 PM

At first I felt just like you, I thought making Rob Paulsen Donatello was a big mistake!
I am a die hard OT fan and I will always asociate That voice with Raph. Raph was my fav. turtle back then, I loved his humor (most of the time).
Then I kinda got a new perspective, This new show isn't really being made for us (us being people in their 20's and 30's who grew up with the OT). It's being made for a new generation of TMNT lovers, and since Rob Paulsen helped make the OT so awesome, why not help with the new cartoon? Rob Paulsen is great, I know he can add something very positive to the new show.
Yes it will still be hard for me to get use to Rob's voice coming out of Don's mouth, but I'm looking at it as a homage to the old 80's turtles! :D

Zany Orange Dude
07-16-2012, 05:09 PM
At first I felt just like you, I thought making Rob Paulsen Donatello was a big mistake!
I am a die hard OT fan and I will always asociate That voice with Raph. Raph was my fav. turtle back then, I loved his humor (most of the time).
Then I kinda got a new perspective, This new show isn't really being made for us (us being people in their 20's and 30's who grew up with the OT). It's being made for a new generation of TMNT lovers, and since Rob Paulsen helped make the OT so awesome, why not help with the new cartoon? Rob Paulsen is great, I know he can add something very positive to the new show.
Yes it will still be hard for me to get use to Rob's voice coming out of Don's mouth, but I'm looking at it as a homage to the old 80's turtles! :D

Nicely said, Mona Lisa, nicely said.:twink:

Mr.Turtle
07-16-2012, 05:37 PM
its really amazing rob's voice still stay pretty much the same after all these yrs...

Donnie
07-17-2012, 01:13 AM
I think RP sounds great as Donatello. It's going to be a fresh take on the character, and I'm excited for it.

Leonardo87
07-17-2012, 02:02 AM
Does it even matter that the voice sounds the same or not? Just enjoy the show and stop complaining.

Genesis
07-17-2012, 09:38 AM
It matters enough to create an interesting discussion about it, free from people berating others for expressing their opinions on a public forum.

Curiously, I showed the training video (and other trailers n' junk) to my roommate, who immediately expressed approval at Don's voice. This is a man who was unaware that he once voiced Raphael, since he only really knows about the Turtles based on my obsessions, and I don't own any collections of the OT. He first mentioned that it took him a sec to deal with Raph not having such a deep voice, this time around, and when I mentioned that people have taken a bit more issue with Donatello, he said, "No, Donnie sounds perfect."

Fun to see the perspective of someone who isn't a die-hard fan.

Jester
07-17-2012, 09:51 AM
I'm biased as I'll watch anything with Robbie-P, but I'll admit I'll probably hear Raph for a little while.

Also:
6QOvfjsjZBs

Mr.Turtle
07-17-2012, 09:54 AM
Does it even matter that the voice sounds the same or not? Just enjoy the show and stop complaining.

voice is one of the most important things to the characters.

pannoni1
09-02-2012, 06:17 AM
If you watch Rob's latest podcast featuring the OT reunion, there is a segment where Rob does give a sample of how Nick Don sounds a bit different, and I agree giving it a slightly higher pitch than OT Raph will be enough for me, given how Nick Raph sounds quite a bit different from OT Raph.

plasticturtle
09-02-2012, 11:19 AM
it may be a bit wierd at first but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

LincolnHawk
09-02-2012, 02:06 PM
Another day, another gripe from Cubed.

What about Cipes as Mikey? Sounds a lot like Beast Boy. Will that cloud you're view of Mikey?

Wait and see. Characters can have similar sounding voices, where the acting lies is how the CHARACTERIZATION is pulled off. He may sound like Raph, but if the dialogue and actions are totally Donnie, I'm sure you'll get the heck over it.

I really cant stand the guy that does Mikey's voice....sorry but thats my opinion

Vegeta
09-08-2012, 02:21 AM
Rob Paulsen is a great dude and a staple in 90s animation. I shared these doubts...but I know he'll do a fantastic job. :lol:

AcidBurn30
09-08-2012, 03:50 AM
because they want Donatello to be more of a smart ass, which i love.. Yeah when he hear Don talking to Raph, it is kinda strange. But i like it..

BubblyShell22
09-08-2012, 06:54 AM
I have no problem with Rob voicing Donnie. I think he'll do a good job and surprise us with his talent.

k_lala
09-08-2012, 08:33 AM
I'm glad ppl are excepting don's voice. It's a perfect fit! Seriously would you be happy if Rob was voicing Raph again? It doesn't fit, the characters don't fit! This is not OT!

Cure
09-08-2012, 09:47 AM
Seriously would you be happy if Rob was voicing Raph again?

I'd be happy if Rob Paulsen wasn't on at all.

Vivi
09-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Rob Paulsen is a legend, he'll pull it off okay. I mean, he doesn't sound alot like a teenager, but seeing as they're mutants you can let things like that slide.

Xav
09-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Actually Mike sounds very little like Beastboy that's why I'm fine with it. It's a completely different tone to his voice.I disagree, I can't get Beast Boy out of my head when I hear Mike talk. The same way I can't get OT Raph out of my head when I hear Don talk.
I kinda like the idea that all the Turtles will be sharing in the jokes. Part of what got old with the 4kids series, was the fact Mikey was the only one who could be funny...or so laird and the writers thought.I disagree, I thought the other Turtles had their moments.

Slade
09-15-2012, 08:55 PM
I wasn't going to complain about this. The only real gripe I had was I was worried about Biggs doing Leo. This morning, I listened to one of those online comics and well I don't know if it was just that one, but I couldn't stand the other three voices. I was surprised that I actually like Biggs. I really heard to much Beast Boy in Mike. Raph in Don and Raphael just sounded like a punk.

But that's not the show and as far as I know, those comics don't really have much emphasis put into them.

Jester
09-15-2012, 09:02 PM
I disagree, I thought the other Turtles had their moments.
Moments, maybe, but with Mikey they tried WAY to hard to make him funny.

Cowabunga Carl
09-15-2012, 09:28 PM
I have to say those comics made me like Rob as Don even more. It just seems a lot better then his Raph.

TurtleTitan97
09-15-2012, 09:31 PM
I have to say those comics made me like Rob as Don even more. It just seems a lot better then his Raph.

Agreed. Rob is great as Donnie.:tgrin:

Jester
09-15-2012, 09:46 PM
I like that the fact that Donnie is smart makes him a smart-Alec., and that fits Rob to a "T".

zkarlette
09-15-2012, 09:53 PM
Actually the more I hear it the more I like Rob as Don he does seems to grasp his good nature and character,now if that was just the case with Mike...So far, I'm having a hard time listening to him,I really hope it's only temporary or something.:ohwell:

CyberCubed
09-15-2012, 09:58 PM
Actually the more I hear it the more I like Rob as Don he does seems to grasp his good nature and character,now if that was just the case with Mike...So far, I'm having a hard time listening to him,I really hope it's only temporary or something.:ohwell:

Mike sounds perfect. He's playing a younger more energetic version of the character and it fits.

zkarlette
09-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Oh,I forgot that Mike needs to sound like an "idiot baby", now everything makes sense,thanks for explaining this to the outmost detail.

Jester
09-15-2012, 10:08 PM
Yikes...Kitty's got claws! Then again, it's not like Z was saying that as a fact. It's, like, her opinion, man.

CyberCubed
09-15-2012, 10:54 PM
Oh,I forgot that Mike needs to sound like an "idiot baby", now everything makes sense,thanks for explaining this to the outmost detail.

What on earth? I said he sounds like an energetic kid. Did you ever watch Teen Titans?

I honestly think this is a great Mikey voice, I am not as fond as it as OT's or Movie 1-3 Mikey, but I like it just the same as 4kids Mike.

zkarlette
09-15-2012, 11:09 PM
Sorry for attacking you Cube...*kicks can* ..
I did watch teen titans and I liked the show,for some reason when I watch the clips I find Mike's voice sort of annoying, but I hope that it is temporary.on the 4 kids show Mike's voice sounded way older than this...I just need to adjust to the fact that they are portraying him as a kid or something,and I was used to and liked the older versions of him.
If s*** hits the fan I'll just have to go Raph all the way, and be done with this.

Gyt Kaliba
09-16-2012, 12:50 PM
Maybe I'm just easy to please, but I think everyone sounded pretty good in the comics vids. Biggs was actually doing pretty nicely as Leo, had a much lighter sound than Sinterniklaas did in the 4Kids toon, but that's only fitting for this show. Sounded kind of nerdy too, which works with the sci-fi show thing.

Cipes is sounding a little...off...as Mikey in a few lines in the comic, but I'm thinking that's more about awkward spacing due to how weirdly the comics seem to load. I am hoping he's a lot less 'ugh' and more actually funny in the show than he was here though. And it actually sounds a little more, voice wise anyway, to Kevin from Ben 10 then it does Beast Boy, to me. Beast Boy's voice was a lot higher pitched.

Paulsen is already knocking it out of the park as Donnie. There was an off line in the comics ('Was it the water?') but again, I think that's just due to the odd playing method there. The acting in all the lines was all top notch.

Also surprising me is how much I'm liking Astin as Raph. He's sounding tough and antagonistic to Leo in all the right places, and in some of the other clips I've heard a certain warmness there too. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about a non Brooklyn accented Raph, but it works.

Also really liking Hoon Lee's Splinter.

Kendamu
09-16-2012, 07:25 PM
I could feel the, "Yeah. A little too Raph," vibe when I first started hearing Rob Paulsen as Donatello, but as of the pizza cip they showed us, I didn't hear Raph at all. I heard Rob Paulsen as Donatello when he spoke.

chrisdude
09-17-2012, 07:02 PM
At least or of these clips has changed, so I hope they're taking response to heart. It could be that Rob tweaked his Donnie.

I don't dislike his Donnie, it's just close to has real voice, as Raph was. But Donnie isn't an Animaniac. Turtles sound like humans, so it'd probably weird if he tried something too abnormal.

dkram230
09-24-2012, 01:07 PM
I just watched/read the Nick comics online and got my first exposure to this. I must say it will take some getting used to. But like many have said, this Donny is supposed to be a smart ass like the OT Raph was. So in a way, it's almost like Nick found a way to bring a piece of 80's TMNT to the new series. This may sound weird, but it almost makes me feel more "at home" hearing his voice with the team. And let's face it, in the OT series they constantly screwed up on pairing the voice acting to the correct turtle anyway, so you can almost say Ron Paulsen has already been doing Donny LOL.

The only voice that actually bothers me is the new Nick Raph. I've always thought as Sean Astin as kind of a dork. So hearing him as Raph, a character that's supposed to be a hard ass, is going to take some convincing for me. I'm sure I'll get used to it. the 2k3 series will probably always be my favorite, but I am loving what I see for the Nick TMNT and am sure the series will be awesome.

BubblyShell22
09-24-2012, 01:24 PM
You know, when I saw a preview for the show yesterday and they were doing Raph's bio, when he spoke I thought I heard a bit of an accent in there. It was a lot subtler than 4Kids Raph, but I thought I could hear a bit of one in his voice. Or maybe my hearing's off.

MikeandRaph87
09-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Are they trying to make Donatello more likeable by taking a piece of Raphael that unfortunately seems stuck in the '87 cartoon and give it to Donatello? And to further it they have Raphael of that series already on payroll so they have him do what he did as Raphael for another turtle,Donatello or am I reading this all wrong? To quote Rita Respulsa,"I have such a headache!"