PDA

View Full Version : Do you think that because it's CGI that animation itself will have limitations

Luckyday
08-17-2013, 05:08 PM
With a cgi show, they tend take short cuts with scenery and I can't imagine them going out of their way to make a snowy background of the city.

pingclang
08-17-2013, 05:13 PM
Actually, I was noticing with the show today how good of a job they do on the animation. Even the backgrounds. If you look the city is thick with buildings and little touches of detail like smoke and steam from pipes and what-not. I think they can handle anything and do it well. As for the snow, I hope and pray they do a Winter episode. I love that time of year and would love to see the Turtles dealing with the cold and snow. Would be an awesome picture.

TurtleTitan97
08-17-2013, 05:36 PM
With a cgi show, they tend take short cuts with scenery and I can't imagine them going out of their way to make a snowy background of the city.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A-q047yCIAAQaeY.jpg:large

Luckyday
08-17-2013, 06:31 PM
Where did you get that?

TurtleTitan97
08-17-2013, 06:40 PM
Where did you get that?

TMNTMaster posted it awhile back on tumblr, and one of the members posted it here.

Luckyday
08-17-2013, 07:09 PM
Did this TMNTMaster work on the nick's TMNT?

Jester
08-17-2013, 07:12 PM
Has some part to play with the show in some capacity...I wanna say it's the official Nick TMNT twitter/tumblr.

snake
08-17-2013, 07:43 PM
With a bigger budget in S2, I'm sure we'll be seeing less shortcuts (more civilians, more locations, less skips.)

Luckyday
08-17-2013, 08:00 PM
That would make me very happy because if there one thing that people keep harping on this show is how the show has the short comings of CGI and how the beauty of traditional 2D animation is just simply more suited for episodic shows and blah blah blah.....

Martin
08-17-2013, 08:03 PM
With a bigger budget in S2, I'm sure we'll be seeing less shortcuts (more civilians, more locations, less skips.)

I second this. I mean they really have to step it up since S2 is based around going through NYC looking for ooze canisters. This gives them the chance to really flesh out the city. In the first eps of S1 the shortcuts were obvious, but I feel they got progressively better as the season went on. I think it's safe to assume that they'll keep improving as time goes on and the budget gets bigger (:

snake
08-17-2013, 08:04 PM
That would make me very happy because if there one thing that people keep harping on this show is how the show has the short comings of CGI and how the beauty of traditional 2D animation is just simply more suited for episodic shows and blah blah blah.....

It's improving, I could see it improved in the second half of S1, and I think CGI suits this series better.

DonatelloNinja82
08-17-2013, 08:57 PM
I think it's been good so far...I have no problems with it.

BubblyShell22
08-18-2013, 07:32 AM
I love the CGI for this show and the little details they tend to make with the buildings and whatnot. I'm sure there will be more details in season 2, and that they will probably have a few winter scenes as well.

Shark_Blade
08-18-2013, 07:50 AM
Think of Final Fantasy's cgi cutscenes and films. Beautiful.

Now think of it's limit. None/not much right? The limit is in the mind's imagination only.

Trivia
08-18-2013, 08:59 AM

Hey, can't blame people for protecting 2D animation, it's dying.
3D has earlier on been expensive to produce, the rendering was time consuming so the details were often limited. Especially for shows which has a lot more material and deadlines than a movie would.

This has improved a lot the last years though, and TMNT has done very well by going for a style that works good with simple shapes and textures. It won't need a super realistic rendering.

Stylized CGI shows are hardly ever limited nowadays, so if there is any essential detail they would like to add(like snow for instance) I don't think they will have any problems with it.

08-19-2013, 05:21 AM
It's gonna sadly look dated 5 years from now. But then again I can claim the same in most hand drawn animation as well.

Action scenes still be awesome though.

Electric
08-19-2013, 07:23 PM
i think the CG is great for this show, and will continue to get better as the series continues. to me, the action scenes are incredible in CG

im not saying that cg is better than 2d drawing or vice versa, i just think for this series it works well.

FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza
08-20-2013, 03:18 AM
New York is seemingly empty and quite in almost all portrayals in TMNT.
I mean, empty streets where the Turtles can drive go-carts and Dogpound rides on the back of a van and proceeds to fight in the street?

Even in the 2007 movie... Raph seems to hang out in areas of no occupancy. There are only a few moments, like where Leo is chasing Nightwatchman, where the city looks and feels alive. Then April, Casey, Karai and a Foot are being chased by a giant monster in deserted NY streets.

This is something that has always bugged me, especially going back on the original OT series.
I hope it's something that will be corrected in some way.