PDA

View Full Version : UK likely to leave EU

Mayhem
06-24-2016, 02:42 AM
I really can't believe we've voted for it... and the lies told by the Leave camp are already unwinding. No new money for the NHS, it will likely be needed to guard against the austerity needed by leaving for the next few years. Probably can't keep EU workers from coming into the country.

Pound down against the dollar by 10%. World markets dropping by almost the same amount. The UK economy has lost this morning in value more than 40 years worth of EU contributions. Scotland will likely press to go independent again considering how Remain it voted overall.

It's a complete fustercluck :ohwell:

The best equivalent I can really think of is Texas successfully becoming independent from the rest of the US. But that's on a far smaller scale than this here.

Commenter 42
06-24-2016, 02:49 AM
The best equivalent I can really think of is Texas successfully becoming independent from the rest of the US. But that's on a far smaller scale than this here.

Not at all. Since when is Britan comparable to ... Tex... Lol...

As someone who does business with folks in London, I for one welcome a cheaper pound... :lol:

But seriously, everyone's shocked. I doubt it will stick.

EDIT: Holy ****, Cameron Just resigned? Damn, next up, President Trump.

Candy Kappa
06-24-2016, 03:03 AM
Hopefully this won't come to fruition.

A friend of mine lives in Manchester, and she is really worried about this as her living situation would be a whole lot worse if UK leaves EU. And as this is happening she can't exchange Pounds into NOK as she is visiting Norway in August, she was literally laughed at by the people at the exchange counter.

Edit: ... Oh ****...

Pound down by 8%

Commenter 42
06-24-2016, 03:18 AM

A friend of mine lives in Manchester, and she is really worried about this as her living situation would be a whole lot worse if UK leaves EU. And as this is happening she can't exchange Pounds into NOK as she is visiting Norway in August, she was literally laughed at by the people at the exchange counter.

Edit: ... Oh ****...

Pound down by 8%

Down by 12% earlier...

Sometimes I wish I better understood money markets. You know some suit just cashed in huge in the last three hours.

ZariusTwo
06-24-2016, 03:19 AM

If they don't abide by the will of the people, they will only bring about a national uprising and there will be riots (need I remind you what happened over Tuition fees?)

This is going to happen. If they were just going to ignore it, Cameron wouldn't have resigned.

Commenter 42
06-24-2016, 03:23 AM
A two percent majority vote is hardly the will of the people.

The map is incredible, literally a split yes/no right across the middle.

Powder
06-24-2016, 03:26 AM
Damn, next up, President Trump.

http://i.imgur.com/rENib0U.png

Commenter 42
06-24-2016, 03:32 AM
Just saying...
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/25/Lex2000.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-qbgpdxSktg4/VdkaapwE3KI/AAAAAAAAIQ0/pd7ymxannKk/s500/Trump%2BTime.jpg

Candy Kappa
06-24-2016, 03:49 AM
Scotland and Ireland voted to stay, wonder how this will affect the union.

Boris "stole Trump's old toupee" Johnson could replace Cameron... It's like the racist assholes that drags everyone else with them down the gutter wants UK to become a living hell.

Commenter 42
06-24-2016, 04:42 AM
Is it really a race war, or a culture war? I see conflicting presentations of race relations in England. We have a sliding scale here, but it's always in the air. The English seem to be more tolerant of skin color, but less so of religion, and immigration just in general.

A dude on Bloomberg was saying that Scotland needs immigrants to sustain its economy, which is why it voted the way it did.

Mayhem
06-24-2016, 05:04 AM
All countries need migration. Either skilled workers that the country in question does not have enough of, or people willing to work for minimum wage (or below in some cases) because the indigenous population don't want to lower themselves to perform such tasks. Cleaners, nannies, bar staff... parking attendants :lol:

The old folks and the "have nots" just see too many people coming into this country and wanted to stop that, hence voting Leave so "we can control our borders". Ignoring the fact that more people from outside the EU enter the UK each year than from within the EU. The country is always changing, unstoppably, and evidently those two demographics didn't like it.

"They're taking our jobs!" - well see above.

"They're taking our benefits!" - immigrants have to be here at least three months first before they can, and if they are working, how can they be doing both?! Okay, so if they are working they can claim housing benefits, but that's like any regular UK citizen can. It's not like they are getting mysterious benefits that UK citizens cannot.

Frankly I'm most surprised by Wales, as it receives net EU money, and they voted out. At least Scotland and NI saw the reality.

ZariusTwo
06-24-2016, 05:15 AM
Nigel Farage admits promises of money going to the NHS in leave ads may have been a mistake

https://amp.twimg.com/v/6ca5195b-a8a5-4b20-b209-92440b9a25d6

ToTheNines
06-24-2016, 06:27 AM
Damn, next up, President Trump.

Will never happen.

ZariusTwo
06-24-2016, 06:42 AM
Will never happen.

Next step of the denial phase: "I'm going to Canada":P

(assuming you aren't already there of course)

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-24-2016, 06:43 AM
Good to know we're not the only nation with voting idiot majorities... :tconfuse:

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
06-24-2016, 07:55 AM
I would be OK with skipping paying membership.

Katie
06-24-2016, 08:48 AM
So, Uk friends, seems like you may be getting Boris Johnson for PM....he reminds me alot of Trump. If our silly old and uneducated red neck people vote Trump in, they'll be good friends I bet.

Edit: scared old people. Scared poor people. Scared uneducated people. They all vote the same.

Mayhem
06-24-2016, 09:47 AM
So, Uk friends, seems like you may be getting Boris Johnson for PM....he reminds me alot of Trump. If our silly old and uneducated red neck people vote Trump in, they'll be good friends I bet.
The Conservative party, as the party in government, gets to chose the nominees. If Boris isn't nominated, he can't become PM. So we'll await who gets nominated, and who then gets voted to be party leader. It isn't a shoe-in.

Edit: scared old people. Scared poor people. Scared uneducated people. They all vote the same.
My brother is none of these three and yet he voted Leave :ohwell:

Vicky82
06-24-2016, 09:47 AM
I voted remain as changing everything will cost time and money. The UK is doomed. I hope Nandos isn't leaving the UK, I love Nandos.

I just can't believe that people who voted out are starting to regret it now. I want to ****ing kill them :flaming:

MikeandRaph87
06-24-2016, 10:03 AM
So Trump shot his mouth off again and oraised Scotland for breaking away. Scotland and Ireland voted to stay. Will this result in Great Brtain (England and Wales) to have their own country and Scotland becoming independent with Northern Ireland reuniting with Ireland?

CyberCubed
06-24-2016, 11:19 AM
As an American who is completely ignorant of all this, can someone explain to me the negative affects? A bulletpoint list would suffice.

MikeandRaph87
06-24-2016, 11:36 AM
I have been keeping up with it the past week or so,but I think a poster from the United Kingdom is best to explain. I personally see it effecting the stock market and U.S. relations with the different parts of the U.K. changing and others. It is probably best that the U.K. make a bold statement like this. Maybe this can help explain the pros and cons.
http://www.theweek.co.uk/eu-referendum

ToTheNines
06-24-2016, 11:45 AM
Next step of the denial phase: "I'm going to Canada":P

(assuming you aren't already there of course)

He won't win. I'm confident he'll pick a horrid running mate. The GOP hasn't had anyone worth taking seriously win their primary in like 20 years or longer. Past two elections have shown that.

And despite the idiots who like him and the conservatives who are just gonna hold their noses and vote for him, he's pissed off too many demographics within the Right.

CyberCubed
06-24-2016, 01:54 PM
Hilary Clinton is pretty much a lock for the next president, anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-24-2016, 02:00 PM
Hilary Clinton is pretty much a lock for the next president, anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.

Never underestimate ignorant, angry, racists.

CyberCubed
06-24-2016, 02:01 PM
Never underestimate ignorant, angry, racists.

Rednecks don't outnumber intelligent people in the U.S., thankfully. Likewise, probably most of the female population will vote for Hilary simply because they want to see a woman president.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-24-2016, 02:05 PM
Rednecks don't outnumber intelligent people in the U.S., thankfully. Likewise, probably most of the female population will vote for Hilary simply because they want to see a woman president.

These days, I wonder...

precision
06-24-2016, 02:11 PM
As an American who is completely ignorant of all this, can someone explain to me the negative affects? A bulletpoint list would suffice.

Well Great Britain no longers gets to exploit Middle Easterners and Eastern Europeans for cheap labor. British Millennials will now have to scrub toilets and change the diapers of their elderly parents.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/young-people-voter-turnout-data-for-brexit-vote-143811714.html#

Also the refugees were not the cause of the Brexit, just a symptom of Russian Sanctions and interference in Syria and Ukraine caused by the European Union and NATO.

CyberCubed
06-24-2016, 02:14 PM
Well Great Britain no longers gets to exploit Middle Easterners and Eastern Europeans for cheap labor. British Millennials will now have to scrub toilets and change the diapers of their elderly parents.

Well, they better get cracking then.

Commenter 42
06-24-2016, 02:19 PM
Right now, Hilary's the default option. That doesn't make her a lock. It's a cornelian dilemma.

Prowler
06-24-2016, 02:22 PM
The problem with the European Union is not the Union itself but European federalism. 70% or so of each state member's laws come from Brussels, which is stupid. Each country has its own context and certain policies might not work so well for them like they do in others.

The Euro comes in handy when travelling but everything got twice more expensive after it became the currency of several EU countries.

Countries like Switzerland and Norway are lucky in the sense that they can be economically free enough to not need to join the EU.

CyberCubed
06-24-2016, 02:22 PM
Right now, Hilary's the default option. That doesn't make her a lock. It's a cornelian dilemma.

There is no way anyone else will be president at this point of the game.

Commenter 42
06-24-2016, 02:25 PM
There is no way anyone else will be president at this point of the game.

The conventions may change that. The debates may also change that. I think you're naive if you think Hilary is a lock. She's about as like-able as Nixon.

Prowler
06-24-2016, 02:30 PM
How did this turn into a Trump discussion?

And I don't see why you Americans are so afraid of the possibility of Trump winning. It's not like he'll become a God Emperor or anything. Opposition and even his advisers and people from his own party will veto his **** and such. Not to mention a lot that he says is mere populism.

Wars out there? All American presidents invade sand countries and steal their oil. So don't act like Trump doing that would be any different.

Commenter 42
06-24-2016, 02:34 PM

And I don't see why you Americans are so afraid of the possibility of Trump winning. It's not like he'll become a God Emperor or anything. Opposition and even his advisers and people from his own party will veto his **** and such. Not to mention a lot that he says is mere populism.

Wars out there? All American presidents invade sand countries and steal their oil. So don't act like Trump doing that would be any different.

You clearly don't understand what Trump is.

Anyway, lots of petitions, and one for London to leave England (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/londependence-petition-calls-for-london-to-join-the-eu-on-its-own-a7101006.html) is interesting.

CyberCubed
06-24-2016, 02:36 PM
London and England are like...the same thing.

Prowler
06-24-2016, 02:36 PM
You clearly don't understand what Trump is.

Anyway, lots of petitions, and one for London to leave England (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/londependence-petition-calls-for-london-to-join-the-eu-on-its-own-a7101006.html) is interesting.
He's a loudmouth, that I know. But also a populist.

It seems that no one talks about his economic, educational, etc policies. Just about his hatred for Mexican illegals and Islam.

plastroncafe
06-24-2016, 02:41 PM
In before the lock!

If I didn't know and love so many people in the UK I would probably be morbidly curious at watching the further downward spiral of what was once the greatest empire the world has ever known.

Just seeing how quickly the Pound dropped in value overnight is...staggering.
This is not going to end well for anyone, except maybe Scotland. Possibly Ireland.

TheSkeletonMan939
06-24-2016, 02:41 PM
the greatest empire the world has ever known.

I would attribute that to the Romans.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-24-2016, 02:42 PM
In before the lock!

If I didn't know and love so many people in the UK I would probably be morbidly curious at watching the further downward spiral of what was once the greatest empire the world has ever known.

Just seeing how quickly the Pound dropped in value overnight is...staggering.
This is not going to end well for anyone, except maybe Scotland. Possibly Ireland.

Agreed. I've got a lot of family and friends in the various nations in the UK, so...

Staggering and depressing. Poor pound.

CyberCubed
06-24-2016, 02:43 PM

"sand countries"

What? Are we invading Tattooine next? Gotta get that oil from Jabba the Hutt next. :lol:

Prowler
greatest as in influence in power? Who nows. Gotta take into account the context of each empire, etc. There have been many of those.

As far as size, I think the English empire was the biggest one ever. In second coming the Mongolian empire perhaps?

"sand countries"

What? Are we invading Tattooine next? Gotta get that oil from Jabba the Hutt next. :lol:
That was a tongue-in-cheek manner of me referring to Middle Eastern countries :P

plastroncafe

Some of it, sure, but the fact that there are about two dozen countries on earth that haven't been invaded by the UK at one point or another means they did their job way better.

Curious who'll be playing the fiddle this time.

There are only 22 Countries in the World the British Haven't Invaded. (http://mentalfloss.com/article/13019/there-are-only-22-countries-world-british-haven%E2%80%99t-invaded)

Candy Kappa
06-24-2016, 02:47 PM
At one point the sun never stopped shining on the British Empire.

As a friend of mine's grandpa said: "Cause God didn't trust us in the dark." :lol:

Commenter 42
06-24-2016, 02:48 PM
London and England are like...the same thing.

Such a gentle troll.

Prowler
06-24-2016, 02:49 PM
Some of it, sure, but the fact that there are about two dozen countries on earth that haven't been invaded by the UK at one point or another means they did their job way better.

Curious who'll be playing the fiddle this time.

There are only 22 Countries in the World the British Haven't Invaded. (http://mentalfloss.com/article/13019/there-are-only-22-countries-world-british-haven%E2%80%99t-invaded)
"invaded".

A more credible and longer list would be of countries they have never conquered or annexed.

ToTheNines
06-24-2016, 02:50 PM

His Authoritarian bull **** is frightening. He's also the most unqualified person to win a primary in a LONG time.

Prowler
06-24-2016, 02:52 PM
I'll always remember Trump for his WWE feud with Vicne McMahon in 2007. The Battle of Billionaires. He did well at playing the "good guy" in that storyline. Which is a testament to how good of a villain Mr. McMahon is. Trump even threw money at the audience!

So if Trump is a good guy in WWE then surely he must be one in real life as well, right? I mean wrestling is not fake now is it? :tsmile:

plastroncafe
06-24-2016, 02:53 PM
"invaded".

A more credible and longer list would be of countries they have never conquered or annexed.

If you've got one of those, I'd love to see it.

It'll be interesting to see how much in value the Dollar drops after our own election in November.
And by interesting, I mean....I'll be paying off as much of my debt as humanly possible between now and then, just to be safe.

ToTheNines
06-24-2016, 02:57 PM
I'll always remember Trump for his WWE feud with Vicne McMahon in 2007. The Battle of Billionaires. He did well at playing the "good guy" in that storyline. Which is a testament to how good of a villain Mr. McMahon is. Trump even threw money at the audience!

So if Trump is a good guy in WWE then surely he must be one in real life as well, right? I mean wrestling is not fake now is it? :tsmile:

There's that, too. I would be so embarrassed to have my country be "lead" by a ****ing reality tv star. The fact that it's even gotten this close is... sad.

Really hoping for him to announce Sarah Palin as his running mate.

Prowler
06-24-2016, 03:03 PM
There's that, too. I would be so embarrassed to have my country be "lead" by a ****ing reality tv star. The fact that it's even gotten this close is... sad.

Really hoping for him to announce Sarah Pallin as his running mate.
Don't get me wrong, I would not vote for Trump but I can't deny that he is entertaining. Kinda like people in Europe laughed at Berlusconi's antics.

Pallin was what killed any chance McCain would have of beating Obama in 2008. Then again Obama had a good propaganda machine behind him. I still remember how everyone was on his bandwagon back in the day, buying into his "Change" slogan and the whole "a black man as president of the USA would be so cool!". He was able to sucker in people that easily :lol:

Utrommaniac
06-24-2016, 03:07 PM
The UK's exit has put new life in the Texas secession movement. But, there's only about less than 1% of the population in it.

My father made a comment that this would throw a "monkey wrench" into thing, and it's only starting.

plastroncafe
06-24-2016, 03:13 PM
The UK's exit has put new life in the Texas secession movement. But, there's only about less than 1% of the population in it.

My father made a comment that this would throw a "monkey wrench" into thing, and it's only starting.

Now THIS. This is something I will watch with morbid curiosity.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-24-2016, 03:17 PM
Now THIS. This is something I will watch with morbid curiosity.

Thanks a lot. :tlol:

I really hate living in the traveling (okay, stationary) freakshow. :trazz:

plastroncafe
06-24-2016, 03:19 PM
Thanks a lot. :tlol:

I really hate living in the traveling (okay, stationary) freakshow. :trazz:

It's not because I don't love you, or other people in Texas!
It's because I don't think it'll get further than ridiculous posturing, and seeing a bunch of Anti-Government people forced to live off the dole when they're tossed in jail.

Commenter 42
06-24-2016, 03:27 PM
Don't get me wrong, I would not vote for Trump but I can't deny that he is entertaining. Kinda like people in Europe laughed at Berlusconi's antics.

Pallin was what killed any chance McCain would have of beating Obama in 2008. Then again Obama had a good propaganda machine behind him. I still remember how everyone was on his bandwagon back in the day, buying into his "Change" slogan and the whole "a black man as president of the USA would be so cool!". He was able to sucker in people that easily :lol:

Obama is still my guy, but Trump is a clown that makes me laugh.

I'd like a Trump/Obama or Obama/Trump comedy hour once a week.

I would like that very much.

CyberCubed
06-24-2016, 03:28 PM
Trump is basically the closest thing to a real life comic book or cartoon supervillain. All he needs is an army of robots.

Commenter 42
06-24-2016, 03:29 PM
He is Lex Luthor.

plastroncafe
06-24-2016, 03:30 PM
Who do you think is voting for him?

Commenter 42
06-24-2016, 03:43 PM
vMzb7rBsosc

Just imagine the two of them having a no holds barred debate.
Or maybe we could put them in a room together, where they try and prepare thanksgiving dinner.

I think that's the first episode.

EPIC television. Hilary couldn't even take Bernie, she'll be destroyed by Trump in the upcoming debates.

Obama would destroy him.

MikeandRaph87
06-24-2016, 03:46 PM
France seems to follow after GB in recent history. Their majority paty in parliament is anti-EU so if the economy is down for longer than a couple of months could they follow Great Britain in the exit process?

Trump is basically the closest thing to a real life comic book or cartoon supervillain. All he needs is an army of robots.

Remote controlled Cybercubes?:o

Mayhem
06-24-2016, 04:24 PM
The UK's exit has put new life in the Texas secession movement.
I actually used that as an example to try and explain the parallels of the UK leaving the EU to an American friend of mine. Here's what I wrote...

You're probably still thinking why is leaving such a big deal. I'll try to explain using Texas ceding from the Union as a comparison here, but our leaving the EU is far more chaotic and far reaching, because there are a lot more established laws.

So yes, think of if Texas left and became its own province/state with its own self rule, independent of Washington. I say "if" here, who knows, it may actually happen. Anyhow, let's continue. Some of the things that may or may not happen between the UK and EU (as I said, because we have to negotiate them in the future and all of these are undecided) could include:

- if you want to enter Texas for any reason from any other state, you'd need a passport because the borders are controlled to the outside.

- if you want to move to Texas to live and work from any other state, you'd need a specific Texas "Green Card".

- likewise if you want to move from Texas to live and work, you'd need to go through all the paperwork to be allowed to stay.

- anyone originally from outside Texas may be asked/forced to leave the state and move elsewhere.

- as a result, imagine a bunch of industries and businesses going down the pan (not so hard, imagine if all Mexicans were forced to leave for example).

- anyone owning property in Texas who wasn't born there may be asked/forced to sell said property.

- anyone living in Texas buying items from other states (even online) have sales tax applied to all purchases.

- anyone outside of Texas wanting to buy from Texas may find the products are higher priced due to imposed tariffs.

- in fact, it would be more likely that negotiations would have to take place to even allow Texas to continue to export to other US states.

- Texas would have no say in the running of the wider US government, and no control over what happens to states around it.

- this would include having to raise all its own money from local taxes to pay for everything, with no subsidies or handouts from the US government.

Hopefully that paints a clearer picture for our "What is the EU?" Googling American friends...

Commenter 42
06-24-2016, 04:49 PM

Just to be clear - I was trying to point out that Brexit was far more significant that a Texas split, not the other-way round. ;)

Not that Texas leaving wouldn't be significant, but todays news isn't a State exiting a country.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-24-2016, 06:22 PM
It's not because I don't love you, or other people in Texas!
It's because I don't think it'll get further than ridiculous posturing, and seeing a bunch of Anti-Government people forced to live off the dole when they're tossed in jail.

Aww...

Yeah, I remember the days I drove a truck and listened to country music. Glad to say I grew some critical thinking skills and grew out of it.

vMzb7rBsosc

Just imagine the two of them having a no holds barred debate.
Or maybe we could put them in a room together, where they try and prepare thanksgiving dinner.

I think that's the first episode.

EPIC television. Hilary couldn't even take Bernie, she'll be destroyed by Trump in the upcoming debates.

Obama would destroy him.

Just to be clear - I was trying to point out that Brexit was far more significant that a Texas split, not the other-way round. ;)

Not that Texas leaving wouldn't be significant, but todays news isn't a State exiting a country.

UK leaving EU is much closer to, say, America leaving NATO.

And I would absolutely watch Obama versus Trump. Go get 'im, Uncle Barry.

Mayhem
06-24-2016, 06:30 PM
Yes, I was only using it as an example for Americans to understand that you have a collection of fairly different entities (in your case, states), bound together by some common laws and government while retaining the rights to set local legislature, and one of that group decides it wants to leave the collective.

CyberCubed
06-24-2016, 07:40 PM
Apparently a bunch of Brits are now saying they regret their vote to leave and wish they could turn back time and vote to stay.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-kqaDFyt_cV8/UiUcxvl9-JI/AAAAAAAAWg4/UNTyKTjznD0/s1600/Stupid+People.jpg

TheSkeletonMan939
06-24-2016, 07:47 PM
I highly doubt it's "a bunch". Just a few who have a large audience. I'm sure there are some who feel guilt now that they see the immediate aftermath, but it can't be more than a small portion of those who voted "Leave".

Bry
06-24-2016, 08:06 PM

He is Lex Luthor.

Hey, now. Luthor's good at business.

Shark_Blade
06-24-2016, 08:31 PM
Apparently a bunch of Brits are now saying they regret their vote to leave and wish they could turn back time and vote to stay.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-kqaDFyt_cV8/UiUcxvl9-JI/AAAAAAAAWg4/UNTyKTjznD0/s1600/Stupid+People.jpg

More stupidity unfolds.

http://i.imgur.com/5Nv3JFE.jpg

http://imgur.com/bW7IHXj.jpg
http://imgur.com/eWuVScw.jpg[i/mg]
[img]http://imgur.com/kkM2hue.jpg
http://imgur.com/nZwfsQ7.jpg
http://imgur.com/JLC4eNu.jpg
http://imgur.com/tFBm1XB.jpg
http://imgur.com/tOcUW0H.jpg
http://imgur.com/5QRPDrb.jpg
http://imgur.com/n1xfruG.jpg

Old people always say how stupid young generation is yet they are far more idiotic and uneducated that they brought destruction to everyone else. Fantastic.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-24-2016, 08:32 PM
Hey, now. Luthor's good at business.

Yeah, but Luthor never had a university.

Or steaks.

Cure
06-24-2016, 08:33 PM
You can say a lot of things about Donald Trump, but don't be dumb; Trump is an excellent businessman. That's why he's gotten as far as he has.

ToTheNines
06-24-2016, 08:54 PM
You can say a lot of things about Donald Trump, but don't be dumb; Trump is an excellent businessman. That's why he's gotten as far as he has.

He comes from old money. Born with a silver spoon in his mouth.

TheSkeletonMan939
06-24-2016, 09:07 PM
Old people always say how stupid young generation is yet they are far more idiotic and uneducated that they brought destruction to everyone else. Fantastic.

So you're saying old people are all stupid and shouldn't be allowed to vote, because they voted 'wrong' this time? I don't mean to put words in your mouth, but that's what you're getting at, right?

Who knows, maybe some of the oldies voted for what they thought best for their children and grandchildren. They aren't all scheming together to ruin your life.

Also, how do they know what age group voted what? Is it all an educated guess?

Powder
06-24-2016, 09:12 PM
9/10 posts from Shark_blade are contrarian trolling/flamebait. Just ignore him.

Shark_Blade
06-24-2016, 09:26 PM
I'm saying majority of old people who voted to leave in that situation.

Regarding Trump's tweet, SCOTLAND DID NOT VOTE TO LEAVE THE EU

62% of scottish voters voted to remain in the european union and, in fact, this result has begun discussions to hold another referendum on scottish independence. yup, that’s right, scotland wanted to stay in the eu so badly, they’re willing to leave the uk to do so (which trump will probably use as an example of ‘taking back control’ anyway tbh) so, to sum up: scotland did not want to leave the eu trump has NOT seen anywhere ‘going wild’ scotland never has, nor never will, agree with donald trump, and should not be used as a pawn in american political rhetoric.

9/10 posts from Shark_Blade are contrarian trolling/flamebait. Just ignore him.You're the one to talk. You're not even worth anything. :lol:

Commenter 42
06-24-2016, 09:45 PM
You can say a lot of things about Donald Trump, but don't be dumb; Trump is an excellent conman. That's why he's gotten as far as he has.

^^ fixed that for you. Like I said, he's funny as hell, like a clown, and he's got some great lines/comedic wit.

He's everything people hate about America, and if he were shrunk in the wash, he'd make a great Oompa-Loompa.

Powder
06-24-2016, 09:50 PM
You're not even worth anything. :lol:

Case in point. His sole intention is to provoke a negative emotional response.

Commenter 42
06-24-2016, 10:13 PM
Sharkie must be fun at parties.

ZariusTwo
06-25-2016, 02:19 AM

Half of them apparently had to search online what leaving the EU meant after they voted.

Vicky82
06-25-2016, 02:35 AM
My Mum and Dad are the smart over 65s, they voted remain.

Refractive Reflections
06-25-2016, 02:54 AM
So just for my understanding and clarification on this issue :-?, how would some of you counter against the right-side making these arguments for Brexit?

rNJ05NfM-4Y

Mayhem
06-25-2016, 05:34 AM
So just for my understanding and clarification on this issue :-?, how would some of you counter against the right-side making these arguments for Brexit?
The video is a whole mass of assumptions and cherry picked arguments, much in the same way the Remain camp was as well. Neither campaign was brilliant. For many things, we JUST DON'T KNOW, as they have to be negotiated now following the vote to Leave.

What both sides did was highlight the most obvious headlining grabbing positive or negative sides to their campaign (so for Leave, the supposed £350M a day that could go elsewhere like the NHS, and for Remain, how the economy would be thrown into another recession after analysis from practically all financial leading analysts). The choice really was between better the devil you know (Remain), or the complete uncertainty of what happens post leaving.

See my post on the previous page about the scenario of Texas leaving the Union about some of the things that could happen to us. COULD. I keep repeating, most are yet to be finalised because this is all what happens now once Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty is invoked, and you've got up to two years to decide what happens to everything EU related in the country.

Berlusconi had enough scandal that I don't think him remaining in Italy was ever going to happen regardless. The UK has had 92% control over the laws passed in this country, only 8% came through Europe.

Can't argue about not recognising the MEPs. Then again, you ask people here to recognise their local MP, the same would happen. People tend to just vote for the person representing their party, not the person themselves.

Turkey has to pass 32 criteria points on a list to be able to join the EU. They've barely passed 2 so far. Yes, he claims about EU corruption in the video and that's true, but given the UK has a veto vote while being in, I think we'd pay close attention to whether Turkey had really passed all 32 when they apply.

EU migrants have to be in the UK for at least 3 months before they can claim any benefits, so they'd need enough money to last them that long. Can't see that happening with any of the people escaping Syria et al, if they happen to then somehow get a passport in another EU country.

We get roughly half the money back that we pay in via grants and subsidies to various parts of the country (like Wales, amazed they voted out), so while we contribute £350M per week, the actually net total we contribute is more like £160M per week. So if we stop contributing, then theoretically we would STILL have to supply some of our own money to the places getting the EU funding, otherwise THEY'D DIE! So the amount is a misnomer.

And just look at the markets and their value once Remain became clear it had lost. They dropped a lot. Wiped out more value than we'd paid into the EU since we started. We get tariff free access trade to other EU countries, and that adds to the economy MORE than what we pay in. Video doesn't mention that of course. Non-EU companies invest in the UK so they can have better access to markets in the rest of Europe. Plus we can access the best talent in the EU to hire in our companies.

It also doesn't quite affect us as much because we stayed out of the Euro and kept the pound. We're not bound by the currency fortunes. That's why we've not had austerity as bad. If we were Spain, or Portugal, or Greece, or Italy, then leaving would not be very surprising! The governments and population saddled themselves with so much debt in the 1990s once they had access to Euro based loans, it was stupid.

Can't argue too much about the fishing rights, bar the fact that we were overfishing the areas anyhow, EU or no EU control.

Arguing about Switzerland is not bad, but the problem is, a lot of people voted Leave in the UK because of the free movement of EU migrants to the UK. Guess what, that's one aspect Switzerland has to abide by as well for their trade agreements. And they have a greater percentage of EU migrants in the country than we do here.

Bry
06-25-2016, 09:14 AM

Seriously incorrect. He was born rich and inherited his father's real estate empire -- that's why he's gotten as far as he has. Past that, his actual record is mediocre at best and he's famously driven business after business into the ground. Here's a list of several of his failures (http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/donald-trumps-13-biggest-business-failures-20160314?page=3). And here's a writeup about how mediocre his record really is (http://opinion.ijr.com/2015/09/247749-donald-trump-is-a-mediocre-businessman-and-his-record-proves-it/).

In fact, there's a very strong argument that Trump would have more money today if he'd just invested his inheritance and not pursued his business ambitions at all.

He's a narcissist and a con man whose real business is getting attention, and at that, I'll give you, he's truly talented. But even that has recently cost him quite a bit financially.

CyberCubed
06-25-2016, 10:17 AM
Its weird to think Trump has always existed in our lifetimes but being kids we didn't realize he existed until the early 2000's.

TigerClaw
06-25-2016, 10:22 AM
Its weird to think Trump has always existed in our lifetimes but being kids we didn't realize he existed until the early 2000's.
probably when they watched that Apprentice TV Show.

Bry
06-25-2016, 10:24 AM

probably when they watched that Apprentice TV Show.

Or Home Alone 2: Lost in New York. :trazz:

n8DOL4zBM_0

CyberCubed
06-25-2016, 10:32 AM
Trump looks old in 1992. That was 30 years ago.

Ninturtle
06-25-2016, 10:50 AM
Everyone goes after Trump on this thread but what about Hillary? Honestly she's probably even worse, she may be experienced but she's so god damn corrupt and evil with her use of power. I'm really hoping for an independent for president, preferably Jill Stien, although Johnson is better than both Trump and Clinton.

ToTheNines
06-25-2016, 11:02 AM

TMNT had like 2 different Trump parody characters back in the 90's.

Everyone goes after Trump on this thread but what about Hillary? Honestly she's probably even worse, she may be experienced but she's so god damn corrupt and evil with her use of power. I'm really hoping for an independent for president, preferably Jill Stien, although Johnson is better than both Trump and Clinton.

Whatever your opinion of her is, she's at least qualified, educated and not uber abrasive.

But yeah, I'm a registered Libertarian so Johnson/Weld for me.

MikeandRaph87
06-25-2016, 11:37 AM
TMNT had like 2 different Trump parody characters back in the 90's.

Whatever your opinion of her is, she's at least qualified, educated and not uber abrasive.

But yeah, I'm a registered Libertarian so Johnson/Weld for me.
He is not anything like Donald Trump,but is name is a clear pardoy of his in the 1990 episode, "Raphael Meets His Match".
http://turtlepedia.wikia.com/wiki/MacDonald_Crump

There is also Donald J. Lofty, the elderly business tycoon from the same stretch of episodes in 1990. Like Crump, Lofty has not actual similarities to the person Donald J. Trump.

Agreed on the Johnson statement considering the lack of choices.

ToTheNines
06-25-2016, 02:34 PM
You're the one to talk. You're not even worth anything. :lol:

Missed this in my Trump tantrum. But yeah, get bent kid.

Whereas you frequently show your ass as one of the biggest buffoons of the fan base, Powder is a fount of TMNT knowledge, one of our best artists (he's collaborated with several Mirage guys), a talented musician and a really funny, self-aware guy.

Anyways, back to business...

This just in, Donald Trump has announced Caitlyn Jenner as his VP.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-25-2016, 02:48 PM
Missed this in my Trump tantrum. But yeah, get bent kid.

Whereas you frequently show your ass as one of the biggest buffoons of the fan base, Powder is a fount of TMNT knowledge, one of our best artists (he's collaborated with several Mirage guys), a talented musician and a really funny, self-aware guy.

Anyways, back to business...

This just in, Donald Trump has announced Caitlyn Jenner as his VP.

I had to go fact-check that on Google because, well hell... it's Trump, so who the hell even knows anymore. :tlol:

ToTheNines
06-25-2016, 03:00 PM
I had to go fact-check that on Google because, well hell... it's Trump, so who the hell even knows anymore. :tlol:

Lol, is there anyone I could have said that would have come across as too ridiculous? I think not.

For real though, I'm betting on either Putin, Snooki and/or J-Wow, Kevin Eastman, Kevin Hart or the ghost of Herbert Hoover.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-25-2016, 03:09 PM
Lol, is there anyone I could have said that would have come across as too ridiculous? I think not.

For real though, I'm betting on either Putin, Snooki and/or J-Wow, Kevin Eastman, Kevin Hart or the ghost of Herbert Hoover.

I predict he chooses Pamela Anderson. It seems like something Trump would do.

MikeandRaph87
06-25-2016, 03:54 PM
I have read reports suggesting he wants Ted Cruz to get wider appeal. It would be along with the tradition of picking a running mate based on whoever finishes runner up in the primaries. It is not always the case,but a common practice. However, whoever he chooses will do little for him in the positive.

CyberCubed
06-25-2016, 04:00 PM

The president does not have absolute power. I never understood why people worry themselves to death over the president. There's a system of checks and balances, the president can't do whatever they want.

We sat through Bush for 8 years, people, I don't know about the rest of you but I got along just fine in those 8 years. Granted I was still a teenager at the time but still.

TigerClaw
06-25-2016, 04:01 PM
Looks like the voters are now having doubts about the Brexit, and they now #Regrexit
http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/25/politics/uk-referendum-regrexit/index.html

TheSkeletonMan939
06-25-2016, 04:07 PM
The president does not have absolute power. I never understood why people worry themselves to death over the president. There's a system of checks and balances, the president can't do whatever they want.

We sat through Bush for 8 years, people, I don't know about the rest of you but I got along just fine in those 8 years. Granted I was still a teenager at the time but still.

Yeah. Either way, with Trump or Clinton as President, I'm sure there will be ample opportunity for him / her to be at least impeached.

ToTheNines
06-25-2016, 04:11 PM
I have read reports suggesting he wants Ted Cruz to get wider appeal. It would be along with the tradition of picking a running mate based on whoever finishes runner up in the primaries. It is not always the case,but a common practice. However, whoever he chooses will do little for him in the positive.

Will never happen. They hate each other.

http://reason.com/blog/2016/03/03/donald-trump-enemy-of-the-constitution

Quick read.

MikeandRaph87
06-25-2016, 04:15 PM
Will never happen. They hate each other.

http://reason.com/blog/2016/03/03/donald-trump-enemy-of-the-constitution

Quick read.

Never said that Cruz would agree to it. Just saying that is what his camp is floating around as the "best interest" pick. Only if CyloncsKlingonsDaleksOhMy agrees to be Donald Trump's running mate would I vote for Donald Trump anyway.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-25-2016, 04:37 PM
Never said that Cruz would agree to it. Just saying that is what his camp is floating around as the "best interest" pick. Only if CyloncsKlingonsDaleksOhMy agrees to be Donald Trump's running mate would I vote for Donald Trump anyway.

I'd only agree to be his running mate so that I could get close enough to punch him in his smug face.

Then he would of course sue me; I'd explain the punch was motivated by winning a bet with my friends; we'd laugh and go out for drinks and a nice steak dinner; he'd ogle the waitresses and I'd ogle his fat wallet. I'd offer to pay for the meal; he'd laugh and insist on covering the check and a huge tip besides. I'd sneak a couple of after dinner mints. We'd bond and become best of friends.

Then I'd punch him again and compare his orange hair to a diabetic Tribble.

CyberCubed
06-25-2016, 11:23 PM
Texas nationalists discuss "Tex-it" as a response to Brexit:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jun/19/texas-secession-movement-brexit-eu-referendum

This will never happen, but I think they don't realize what a third world country actually is.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-26-2016, 08:20 AM
Texas nationalists discuss "Tex-it" as a response to Brexit:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jun/19/texas-secession-movement-brexit-eu-referendum

This will never happen, but I think they don't realize what a third world country actually is.

Gah. Easy for you to say it'll never happen... if it does, you're not affected.

Me? I do not want to move to California. Cost of living is enough to give Donald Trump's cat hemorrhoids.

CyberCubed
06-26-2016, 11:08 AM
Its funny how some people don't realize what being an independent country actually is. That means you receive no financial support from the rest of the U.S. Importing goods or services from the U.S. till be taxed, you'll have to get a green card or passport to go into the U.S., you have to produce your own food/shelter/electricity/water, etc. Granted Texas is a big enough state to do some of this.

But it'll never happen. A state leaving is basically an act of war. The entire U.S. military would crack down on the politicians and whatever few people are stupid enough to pick up a musket.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-26-2016, 11:31 AM
Its funny how some people don't realize what being an independent country actually is. That means you receive no financial support from the rest of the U.S. Importing goods or services from the U.S. till be taxed, you'll have to get a green card or passport to go into the U.S., you have to produce your own food/shelter/electricity/water, etc. Granted Texas is a big enough state to do some of this.

But it'll never happen. A state leaving is basically an act of war. The entire U.S. military would crack down on the politicians and whatever few people are stupid enough to pick up a musket.

I don't know that secession is necessarily an act of war. More like a pouty child running down the street, claiming to run away.

Besides, if Texas runs away, we'll obviously clamp down on border security--and then our economy goes to hell, but illegal aliens make up some pretty hefty numbers in our minimum-wage jobs. Restaurant kitchens and construction? No more Happy Meals or new houses.

Utrommaniac
06-26-2016, 11:34 AM
Not to mention, goodbye to all the highway construction that's been underway for a decade.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-26-2016, 11:46 AM
Not to mention, goodbye to all the highway construction that's been underway for a decade.

Well, that crap was never going to be finished anyway. :tlol:

Utrommaniac
06-26-2016, 11:52 AM
That's even worse :lol: ! There's stuff in my zone of the DFW metroplex just starting to go up...right next to downtown Ft. Worth, where the construction has turned traffic into a hellish bottleneck. It would be awful if it had to stay like that should construction budget collapse.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-26-2016, 11:55 AM
That's even worse :lol: ! There's stuff in my zone of the DFW metroplex just starting to go up...right next to downtown Ft. Worth, where the construction has turned traffic into a hellish bottleneck. It would be awful if it had to stay like that should construction budget collapse.

I've never seen a highway project finish in the same decade it began.

Okay, I'm exaggerating. :tlol: But not by much.

Utrommaniac
06-26-2016, 12:20 PM
I've probably spent most of my life watching Highway 180 get built up on Boulevard 26. Spent most of my life going on and off it as well.

CyberCubed
06-26-2016, 04:13 PM
http://i.imgur.com/7a4wwsz.gif

"Which way did he go, George? Which way did he go?"

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
06-26-2016, 04:21 PM
http://i.imgur.com/7a4wwsz.gif

"Which way did he go, George? Which way did he go?"

STAHPIT.

It's bad enough living down here without you stirring up my fear of secession. :tlol:

CyberCubed
06-26-2016, 04:42 PM
Apparently UK racists think Brexit meant all non-whites were supposed to be deported from england:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/26/racist-incidents-feared-to-be-linked-to-brexit-result-reported-in-england-and-wales

Mayhem
06-26-2016, 05:43 PM
I know... it really is one of the saddest parts of the result, that racists and bigots think they have carte blanche to abuse anyone...

Utrommaniac
06-26-2016, 06:02 PM
Polish people are non-white???

The race issues in Great Britain-especially in England, are a bit different than they are in the US. ANYONE who isn't born and bred British is bound to be alienated, even if they're white. Which includes Polish, who are still sort of the immigration punching bag of Europe to this day. Which is why my family has a Polish friend who was brought to the US by his mother.

Refractive Reflections
06-26-2016, 08:54 PM
The video is a whole mass of assumptions and cherry picked arguments, much in the same way the Remain camp was as well. Neither campaign was brilliant. For many things, we JUST DON'T KNOW, as they have to be negotiated now following the vote to Leave.

Thank you for the reply Mayhem. I appreciate hearing different sides on this issue.

Don't worry Ninturtle, Anonymous has heard you :P:

OTMaIX_JPE4
wK2K5v5bm0Q
BizU-u7RPcY
3_tWyvnH0xY

CyberCubed
06-26-2016, 10:14 PM
You can find something bad about every politician. It doesn't matter as long as it doesn't affect your daily life.

Refractive Reflections
06-26-2016, 10:49 PM
You can find something bad about every politician. It doesn't matter as long as it doesn't affect your daily life.

Personal morality with domestic life is one thing, but "bad" in terms of job corruption is a whole other thing. Since politicians are (supposed to be) working for the people, doesn't their corruption (which affects public policies and agreements) eventually end up trickling down to affect the lives of individual people?

Mayhem
06-27-2016, 02:36 AM
The race issues in Great Britain-especially in England, are a bit different than they are in the US. ANYONE who isn't born and bred British is bound to be alienated, even if they're white. Which includes Polish, who are still sort of the immigration punching bag of Europe to this day. Which is why my family has a Polish friend who was brought to the US by his mother.
The problem has come with people thinking "different accent" = foreign, even if the person is actually British (either born here, or has a British passport). Even Welsh and Irish people have been abused verbally. We have a French guy on our dev team, but he's been living in the UK so long, he applied for a British passport many moons ago. God knows what the xenophobes would make of him.

Probably the saddest report I've seen is two girls (one white, one black) abusing a Muslim girl verbally, and when she complains of racism, the black girl says "take a look at me, how can I be racist?!" The mind boggles :roll::ohwell:

Commenter 42
06-27-2016, 03:03 AM
There's something deeply troubling about Clinton. It feels sooo forced, like this giant chess game that's been mapped out in advance, with Trump playing the bad guy, in a really, really bad movie.

We've had less than honest politicians before, but the medias blanket endorsement of Clinton, from Disney to CNN to HBO, the WP, WS, NYT, on and on...

Bernie still in the race, but you'd never know it.

She's essentially Cersi, just without the charisma.

Reminds me of Gore v Bush...

Powder
06-27-2016, 03:24 AM
There's something deeply troubling about Clinton. It feels sooo forced, like this giant chess game that's been mapped out in advance, with Trump playing the bad guy, in a really, really bad movie.

That's... exactly what it is, you know.

Commenter 42
06-27-2016, 03:30 AM
That's... exactly what it is, you know.

What? Really?
(I know you and I know, but I don't think they know.) :lol:

*ahem, I've never seen that man before in my life!

And right on cue... (http://https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/06/26/donald-trumps-bad-month-just-got-worse-because-bernie-backers-just-rallied-to-clinton/)

Refractive Reflections
06-27-2016, 04:14 AM
Probably the saddest report I've seen is two girls (one white, one black) abusing a Muslim girl verbally, and when she complains of racism, the black girl says "take a look at me, how can I be racist?!" The mind boggles :roll::ohwell:

Not to belittle the abuse, but... wouldn't that be more of ideological bigotry and not racism since the focus is that she is Muslim rather than Arab? I mean if we replaced the word Muslim with Christian or Hindu, would that still be classified as "racism"? :-?

Commenter 42
06-27-2016, 05:35 AM
No such thing. Theists are the ideological bigots, not the other way round.

CyberCubed
06-27-2016, 10:53 AM
That's because it is a movie, with Trump as the villain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8QEfmoqmCI

Hilarious Game of Thrones/Trump mash-up.

plastroncafe
06-27-2016, 11:21 AM
Not to belittle the abuse, but... wouldn't that be more of ideological bigotry and not racism since the focus is that she is Muslim rather than Arab? I mean if we replaced the word Muslim with Christian or Hindu, would that still be classified as "racism"? :-?

Racism isn't just ideological bigotry, it's ideological bigotry supported by pre-existing systemic and cultural structures.

Anyone can be a bigot, but not all of that bigotry is racism.

(And that's not even going anywhere near the issue of using the term Race when ethnicity is far more accurate and far less historically problematic a term)

Commenter 42
06-27-2016, 09:13 PM
When you're this granular, they call you plastron.

Perhaps we can start deconstructing the the letters in words themselves.
I for one feel the letter L doesn't properly represent the letter's truth.

We need change, we need it now. Stop the blatant misspelling of AēLeé.

Prowler
06-27-2016, 09:17 PM
Apparently UK racists think Brexit meant all non-whites were supposed to be deported from england:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/26/racist-incidents-feared-to-be-linked-to-brexit-result-reported-in-england-and-wales
Eh it's just a minority. Most people wouldn't go as far as do that, no matter how xenophobic they might be.

Polish people are non-white???

Sometimes people use "racism" as a synonym for "xenophobia", so I doubt Mayhem was implying that Polish people were not White.

I think Poles mostly immigrate to Germany and the UK? Some go to Sweden and the Netherlands as well, I think? So I don't think there's that many places where they're considered the punching bag.

Mayhem
06-28-2016, 07:13 AM
Indeed, this. There are quite a lot of Poles here, in fact they easily make up the largest non-UK demographic in the country currently. Most are great people. You get the odd rogue element, but that happens in any culture.

ZariusTwo
06-28-2016, 12:04 PM
Nigel Fargae's epic heel promo on the EU

T4ZTuh52wXE

Refractive Reflections
06-29-2016, 04:25 PM
Good to know we're not the only nation with voting idiot majorities... :tconfuse:

More stupidity unfolds.

The right-side would respond saying this :P:
Bn_6sU7O43w

MikeandRaph87
06-29-2016, 04:46 PM
Boris seems like a really sleazy guy in his personal life with a string of affairs, but a good record in politics. He reminds me of Bill Clinton. I would say Boris has a better chance than Donald Trump.

ZariusTwo
07-01-2016, 05:11 AM
So Boris has dropped out of the race for Downing Street after his own partner in the Brexit campaign came out and said he'd be a terrible choice, and is in the running now himself

ZariusTwo
07-04-2016, 12:03 PM
Now Nigel Farage has quit as UKIP leader

MikeandRaph87
07-04-2016, 02:23 PM
So who would likely run in the Prime Minter contest this Fall?

Will any other countries follow Great Britain out of the door such as France?

ZariusTwo
07-07-2016, 09:49 AM
So we are now guaranteed, one way or another, our first female prime minister since Margaret Thatcher, as the final two candidates in the Tory leadership race are Theresa May and Andrea Leadsom.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36737426

plastroncafe
07-07-2016, 10:22 AM
I don't know anything about either of them, do you have a preference?
Would either of them help the current political situation?

ZariusTwo
07-09-2016, 05:17 AM
I don't know anything about either of them, do you have a preference?
Would either of them help the current political situation?

May supports gay marriage but wanted us to stay in the EU, however has vowed to help us work through the transition out of it, her rival not only doesn't back gay marriage, she is a keen fan of the banned sport of fox hunting, which may hurt her chances.

plastroncafe
07-09-2016, 08:52 AM
Which hurts her chances more, her anti-gay marriage stance? Or her pro-fox hunting one?

ZariusTwo
07-09-2016, 01:52 PM
Which hurts her chances more, her anti-gay marriage stance? Or her pro-fox hunting one?

You can add a third gaff to that list...her idea she's a better fit for PM because she's a mum.

Vicky82
07-13-2016, 02:02 PM
Oh god!!!!!! Boris Johnson is the new Foreign Secretary!!!!!!!! please be a bad dream. :x:flaming:

ZariusTwo
10-02-2016, 08:08 AM
Theresa May has confirmed Article 50 will be triggered toward the end of March 2017

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37532364

In addition, she also confirmed that she will pass a bill abolishing the European Communities act of 1972 from the statue book, as part of her bid to make Britain independent and sovereign.

The Queen's Speech this Christmas will make reference to this bill as part of a larger "great repeal bill" that will enshrine all existing EU laws into British law.

ZariusTwo
11-03-2016, 05:06 AM
Looks like Brexit has a chance of being blocked after all. The High Court has ruled Article 50 cannot be triggered without the backing of Parliament

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37857785

Prowler
03-31-2017, 10:49 PM
And they're leaving for real: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-39325561

Oh well, they've never liked the European Union, anyway. I mean if I had won a World War and the French and the Germans became the centre pieces of European politics after it I'd be pissed too, so I can't really blame them for it.

What would be more concerning would be if Le Pen won the French presidentials and France left the EU... there is no EU without France+Germany.

Redeemer
04-04-2017, 12:48 PM
And they're leaving for real: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-39325561

Oh well, they've never liked the European Union, anyway. I mean if I had won a World War and the French and the Germans became the centre pieces of European politics after it I'd be pissed too, so I can't really blame them for it.

What would be more concerning would be if Le Pen won the French presidentials and France left the EU... there is no EU without France+Germany.

I thought the UK didn't like the EU bc other countries were devaluing the value of the Euro example:Greace bc Uk's pound would be worth more than the Euro.
Essentially the Uk economy was being drug down by weaker economical countries in the union. Thats how I understood it.
I didn't think it had anything to do with Germany, France or WWII

MikeandRaph87
04-04-2017, 12:54 PM
I thought the UK didn't like the EU bc other countries were devaluing the value of the Euro example:Greace bc Uk's pound would be worth more than the Euro.
Essentially the Uk economy was being drug down by weaker economical countries in the union. Thats how I understood it.
I didn't think it had anything to do with Germany, France or WWII

That is a part of it. Great Britain also has a history of independence. If I am not mistaken it was the first territory to become independent from the Roman Empire then much later gained right through creating Parliament in 1215 and was the first country to fully move away from Catholicism then the eventual removal of monarchy power between William and Mary and Victoria due in part to the English Civil War. Not to mention its territories having that same independent spirit birthing the American Revolution and calls for peace from both Gandhi and Mandela.

Utrommaniac
04-04-2017, 01:04 PM
- First to leave Roman Empire
- Makes own Empire, which the world is still recovering from the collapse of.

ProactiveMan
04-04-2017, 11:04 PM
To be fair there was a long gap between those events. Plus, I would add...

-Leaves Roman Empire
-Starts own empire
-WWII
-Borrows buttload of money from USA
-Owes buttload of money to USA
-Dismantles empire at behest of USA
-USA starts own empire

Vicky82
04-18-2017, 04:31 AM
Here we go, Theresa May has called a General Election for June 8th :x

Mayhem
04-18-2017, 04:42 AM
No, she hasn't. She's stated her desire to call one. She can't call it unless she has support from 2/3 of all MPs. Which means over 100 MPs from non-Tory parties have to support it. But I suspect she'll get it anyhow.

Andrew NDB
03-21-2019, 10:56 AM
Just in:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-petition/stop-brexit-a-million-people-sign-uk-petition-to-stay-in-eu-idUSKCN1R2124

I don't really have an informed opinion about this as I don't really understand the sides but... basically the people in the UK voted to leave the EU, the "other side" didn't like that... and so the other side basically caused a lot of delays and this or that, finally culminating in them forcing a second vote because they didn't like the way it went the first time? Is this about right?

Because that sounds really horrible to me. Am I missing something here?

neatoman
03-21-2019, 11:17 AM
Just in:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-petition/stop-brexit-a-million-people-sign-uk-petition-to-stay-in-eu-idUSKCN1R2124

I don't really have an informed opinion about this as I don't really understand the sides but... basically the people in the UK voted to leave the EU, the "other side" didn't like that... and so the other side basically caused a lot of delays and this or that, finally culminating in them forcing a second vote because they didn't like the way it went the first time? Is this about right?

On the surface, yes. A vote designed to undermine a previous vote seems bad. But there's that whole situation with Ireland and Scotland, as well as the problems negotiatiating new trade deals, etc. This is such a hairy situation that undermining democracy, as horrible as it sounds, might actually be the best option.

oldmanwinters
03-21-2019, 11:54 AM
Just in:

Sounds like partisan politics to me! :lol:

newfan
03-21-2019, 12:01 PM
Country is an embarrassment right now. Going to burry my head here until an actual decision is made.

Prowler
03-21-2019, 12:11 PM
Really tired of hearing about this whole Brexit thing tbh. I thought they decided to leave already? How could they go back in their decision now? Honest question. I dunno how this works.

Andrew NDB
03-21-2019, 12:24 PM
Going to burry my head here until an actual decision is made.

You mean... again?

Sumac
03-21-2019, 12:45 PM
Just in:

AFAIK, May has negotiated that UK will formally leave EU, but EU will still control all of its key decisions. So, naturally some people in the government don't like it and want to leave EU completely.

Prowler
03-21-2019, 12:57 PM
AFAIK, May has negotiated that UK will formally leave EU, but EU will still control all of its key decisions. So, naturally some people in the government don't like it and want to leave EU completely.

Then what does it mean exactly? What "rights" and "duties" will the UK lose by leaving the EU, then?

ZariusTwo
03-29-2019, 10:36 AM
May's Withdrawal deal has been rejected three times in total

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47752017

neatoman
03-29-2019, 01:32 PM
BJcpajX7EdU

ZariusTwo
04-01-2019, 02:29 PM
Surprisingly not an April fools gag: protesters take their clothes off in parliament in protest during the debate on indicative voting

https://news.sky.com/story/protesters-strip-naked-in-commons-brexit-debate-11681629?awc=11005_1554150235_c225ee40f184f5c79cff 12b8b0cb1ead&dcmp=afc-85386-na-na-logtail&dclid=CjkKEQjw7YblBRDYr_eyvOi24vMBEiQAF7vJQYRi1VTB sEJbpKGj1KrB-4v7aPKyc2vTouSzAV4N62Hw_wcB

Mayhem
04-02-2019, 04:47 AM
We don't do things by halves in this country. Except Brexit. Definitely Brexit.

Metalwolf
04-02-2019, 05:08 AM
I'm wondering if Articles 13 and 16 might be the straws that break the camel's back in favor of leaving. I know there were some people unhappy about that, because it directly affects a lot of the Internet for the people in the EU.

Barkworm
04-02-2019, 06:19 AM
The whole Brexit disaster has grossly overstayed its welcome. It used to be hilarious in a morbid way but right now it's downright annoying to no end.

Andrew NDB
08-28-2019, 01:14 PM
Can anyone explain what's going on with this nowadays? Are things any further along?

Vicky82
08-28-2019, 01:25 PM
Can anyone explain what's going on with this nowadays? Are things any further along?

Apparently we're supposed to be leaving the EU on October 31st, that's all I know, everything else is just confusing.

neatoman
08-28-2019, 01:27 PM
m3_I2rfApYk
J1Yv24cM2os
agZ0xISi40E

IMJ
08-28-2019, 02:02 PM
If this happens then the new trade agreements are going to be incredible, and any nation on board is going to be in a sort of new world order trade system that is going to leave everyone not involved in the dust. And the Brexit people are going to be in great shape as early adopters.

Seriously.

ZariusTwo
08-28-2019, 02:18 PM
Parliment is to be suspended mid-September, cutting precious time from remainers to oppose a no-deal Brexit

https://news.sky.com/story/pm-boris-johnson-plans-to-ask-queen-to-suspend-parliament-from-mid-september-11795978

Andrew NDB
08-28-2019, 02:23 PM
Parliment is to be suspended mid-September, cutting precious time from remainers to oppose a no-deal Brexit

I've read this, but what does this mean? Who are the "remainers" (people in power?) and how will they oppose it, at this point?

Edit: Like right now, I just saw someone make a post with an image that says, "8/28/2019: The day the Tories killed democracy in the United Kingdom." What are they talking about?

Andrew NDB
06-20-2023, 10:13 AM
So it's been 4 years. Did Brexit complete, or what?

Bahamut810
06-20-2023, 10:34 AM

Yes and no. THey voted to brexit. As far as I am aware the UK and EU have not reached a deal to complete Brexit and the govt is dragging their feet because of the deals they are being offered.

ZariusTwo
06-20-2023, 12:19 PM
In the meantime, the government has also went through five different Prime Minsters (including one that couldn't outlast a cabbage), countless resignations, had members discredited for staging house parties during the pandemic etc....

Galactus
06-20-2023, 12:51 PM

Yes it's done.

For a long time the major sticking point was what to do with the Northern Irish border. Boris Johnson won a landslide election on the promise the deal he was putting forward would solve this but he was unwilling to reveal what this "oven ready" deal was to the electorate or his own mps. This may sound absurd but I think most of the public were so desperate to get Brexit over with they were willing to vote for anyone who claimed to have a solution without even scrutinising it. As for his own mps that wanted to know what the mystery deal was before they supported it, he purged them and replaced them with new ones that were willing to support the mystery deal.

It should come as no surprise Boris' perfect deal was a pile of garbage that was never going to work. Much as I hate to say it but his successor Sunak was able to negotiate a deal that at least temporarily solves the problem of the Northern Irish border.

So yep, it's done. It also seems to have been a huge failure for Britain. All of the vast economic damage that was predicted by experts but dismissed as fear mongering is coming to pass. Many who voted to leave in the belief it would drasticaly lower immigration are very angry that while it has drastically lowered immigration from Europe due to them feeling unwelcome we've had record levels of in increase in immigration from other parts of the world. Current polls shows a clear majority of people think it's been a failure.

Despite this there is little appetite to have a referendum on rejoining. Partly because we'd not have much of the special status as we had the first time but mainly given how polarised people became on Brexit few people want to re-open the issue and feel it's best to try and move on. None of the major political parties are advocating another referendum. Still there are grifters out there trying to make political capital that the reason it failed is because we did it wrong and attempt to fear monger about how the elites will force us back in somehow. At this point it seems unlikely to work.

Sumac
06-20-2023, 01:41 PM
So you are B'rtish.
It explains a lot.