PDA

View Full Version : Shelving for toys

Since 1984
01-07-2017, 08:08 PM
I'm looking to buy some shelves for my figures and am wondering what shelves or display pieces you all are using. Any posted pics are appreciated to give some ideas. :tgrin:

tmntman
01-09-2017, 08:04 AM
They don't really need anything special. The default option for many seems to be bookcases with home goods risers to make it easier to see in the back.

If you have a bit more money, you can get the detolf glass shelves from Ikea. They are more expensive for the square footage that you get. But the look may be worth the price to you.

Beyond that, it really matters more where you want to put the shelving and how much effort you want to put into it. A simple $10 shelf and some brackets from the home improvement store will work just fine.

Personally, the two bits of shelving I am most proud of include some cheap shelves and brackets as I just mentioned. But I then took a second shelf and cut it down its length and attached all three pieces together to create permanently stepped shelving, no spice racks required or visible. The second shelf option I really like was a wooden room divider from the 70's that I restained and hung sideways on the wall. It makes a perfect shelving unit for most of my Gundam MSIA collection.

DonnieLaForge
01-09-2017, 09:29 AM
I go with enclosed glass cases to help keep away the dust.

Even better is if they lock, if you think children will ever be in the home.

They are more expensive, but I only have a few as I rotate my displays rather than leave them permanent. Trying to keep the house from becoming too much of a museum...

When it comes to enclosed glass...

The "DETOLF" IKEA shelves tmntman mentioned are cheap and work well for larger figures as they have fewer shelves therefore more vertical space between shelves. But they can't be locked. I have some and it has come in useful for the larger scales.

However, I also have & prefer the IKEA "KLINGSBO" cabinet. It locks, adds one more shelf (two if you count the platform on the bottom, which isn't a solid surface but works for certain kinds of items), and is a bit taller. There used to be a matching horizontal KLINGSBO which I have also but is no longer available...wish I could get one more. :tcry:

Once you have the shelves, I have one trick for cheap risers to create multiple tiers. I prefer clear acrylic risers, but those are often pretty pricey (sometimes you can get them decent on Amazon so I do have some). A cheap alternative is to go to a craft/hobby store (around here the one is Michael's), preferably one that offers a weekly % off single item coupon, and look for a desktop photo cube. They usually come apart into two halves which are effectively 2 acrylic risers of equal size. Here's the one I use: https://www.michaels.com/studio-decor-acrylic-photo-cube/10388767.html

You can also buy tastefully designed multi-tiered spice racks or nail polish racks for smaller items. This thing is cheap and quite nice (but it won't fit in KLINGSBO or DETOLF verticals):
http://www.containerstore.com/s/3-tier-acrylic-cabinet-organizer/d?productId=10016112

TurtleWA
01-09-2017, 03:10 PM
I'm looking to buy some shelves for my figures and am wondering what shelves or display pieces you all are using. Any posted pics are appreciated to give some ideas. :tgrin:

Good idea for a thread dude! For pictures you could always go to the collection threads and start looking at what others have set up.

Anyone have ideas on a glass front vertical display cabinet that can house both a loose complete Vintage Technodrome and the NECA 1/4 scale Turtle?

Since 1984
01-09-2017, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the ideas! I actually really like that IKEA Detolf shelf. TurtleWA, thanks. I actually just started checking out a thread of collections and lots of cool stuff!

Princess Anri
01-09-2017, 04:14 PM
The "DETOLF" IKEA shelves tmntman mentioned are cheap and work well for larger figures as they have fewer shelves therefore more vertical space between shelves.
These look perfect.

The online dimensions seem incomplete.

If you get a minute, could you tell me the width/depth of the widest/deepest part (presumably the base)?

DevilSpooky
01-09-2017, 05:01 PM
I have most of my collection inside 4 DETOLFs. the rest is in a couple of bookshelves in front of my movies/games colletions and a few more scattered around the house on shelves and the like, I'll update this with a few photos in a bit so you can see them.

TurtleWA
01-09-2017, 05:13 PM
These look perfect.

The online dimensions seem incomplete.

If you get a minute, could you tell me the width/depth of the widest/deepest part (presumably the base)?

A very quick tape measure job for Detolf was:

15 3/8 height on interior base
13 3/4 depth on interior base
15 3/8 width on interior base

All in inches. How does this compare with what you found?

Princess Anri
01-09-2017, 05:30 PM
A very quick tape measure job for Detolf was:

15 3/8 height on interior base
13 3/4 depth on interior base
15 3/8 width on interior base

All in inches. How does this compare with what you found?
Thank you so much.

Their website just says:

16 3/4x64 1/8 "

DevilSpooky
01-09-2017, 05:43 PM
I have most of my collection inside 4 DETOLFs. the rest is in a couple of bookshelves in front of my movies/games colletions and a few more scattered around the house on shelves and the like, I'll update this with a few photos in a bit so you can see them.

So, here's a quick look, sorry about the quality of the last one, it's night and my phone sucks, but you can get an ideia, here's one of the bookshelves (http://i.imgur.com/8SbwiYK.jpg), and the 4 DETOLFs (http://i.imgur.com/aLr2KDg.jpg)

Princess Anri
01-09-2017, 05:49 PM
So, here's a quick look, sorry about the quality of the last one, it's night and my phone sucks, but you can get an ideia, here's one of the bookshelves (http://i.imgur.com/8SbwiYK.jpg), and the 4 DETOLFs (http://i.imgur.com/aLr2KDg.jpg)
I like the Dragon Ball display mixed in there. My shelves are mostly turtles but I also have this:

Has there been any indication that these shelves might break or give out? I'd be pretty scared to put my fragile statues on these but it would look so good.

Also, what country do you live in? That long line of uniformly designed PS2 spine art was quite jarring.

DevilSpooky
01-10-2017, 03:17 AM
I like the Dragon Ball display mixed in there. My shelves are mostly turtles but I also have this:

Has there been any indication that these shelves might break or give out? I'd be pretty scared to put my fragile statues on these but it would look so good.

Also, what country do you live in? That long line of uniformly designed PS2 spine art was quite jarring.

Not at all, as long as you take care of them I guess, the first one of those was bought when I moved into this house, 4 years ago more or less, and it's as good as it was when I got it.

Portugal, those are PAL covers, they all look the same, that changed with the PS3 eventually though

Raptor86
01-10-2017, 05:07 AM
Other solution can be:
IKEA Billy bookshelves
IKEA Algot system (I use this one for action figures)