PDA

View Full Version : Whedonesque Shuts Down As Joss Whedon's Ex-Wife Hits Back

ZariusTwo
08-22-2017, 06:00 AM
So Joss Whedon is at the centre of fresh scandle following allegations from his traumatised ex wife of emotional manipulation and multiple affairs he had during their marriage. It's gotten so bad that the long-running Whedonesque website has been shut down.

https://www.newsarama.com/36044-joss-whedon-fan-site-shuts-down-after-ex-wife-s-allegations.html

TigerClaw
08-22-2017, 07:40 AM
I wonder how this is going to affect Warner Bros, since he's working on those reshoots for Justice League, and then do the Batgirl movie.

plastroncafe
08-22-2017, 07:59 AM
I really wish people who can't do monogamy would just own up to that. Cripes.

The Deadman
08-22-2017, 08:53 AM
Kinda humorous knowing that a lot of the time, these male feminists end up being creepier than the guys they're "protecting" the women from.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
08-22-2017, 09:03 AM
Sad.

10char

Krutch
08-22-2017, 09:13 AM
Kai Cole, who was married to Whedon from 1995 to 2016, wrote a guest blog on The Wrap that alleged the director had "multiple" affairs during their relationship and therefore wasn't really a feminist.
I don't understand. Can you not be a feminist and still struggle with monogamy?

TigerClaw
08-22-2017, 09:58 AM
Could these claims hurt Joss Whedon in the long run, if they are true?

plastroncafe
08-22-2017, 10:12 AM
I don't understand. Can you not be a feminist and still struggle with monogamy?

Having read the essay, I think the claim Kai is making is that the justifications he made while having the affairs...along with the betrayal of cheating in the first place, call his stated belief that "women are equal" into question.

Which I can see.
People can be liars and cowards and still be feminists.

snake
08-22-2017, 11:34 AM
Male feminist turns out to be a weirdo using it just to get closer to women? Who would've thought?

CyberCubed
08-22-2017, 11:40 AM
Joss Whedon and Bruce Timm seem like they're both self destructing as they've gotten older. All their secrets are coming out.

snake
08-22-2017, 11:47 AM
Dude, Bruce Timm drew an ass. Get over it. He's always drawn lewd stuff.

ZariusTwo
08-22-2017, 02:23 PM
Dude, Bruce Timm drew an ass. Get over it. He's always drawn lewd stuff.

Yeah, he's only really guilty of catching on to the fact all the kids that grew up with his stuff are old enough to be as pervy alongside him

Cure
08-22-2017, 04:43 PM
Are you having some sort of Sonic mental collapse?

snake
08-22-2017, 04:50 PM
Gotta shitpost fast!

ProactiveMan
08-22-2017, 07:20 PM
I wonder how this is going to affect Warner Bros, since he's working on those reshoots for Justice League, and then do the Batgirl movie.

I hear that Zack is back.

As far as Whedon’s politics are concerned, I don’t think emotional manipulation is an issue of gender equality. Everyone is capable and guilty of that – we learn how to do it when we’re babies. I have more of a problem with someone being judgemental, and proselytising about morality when they clearly have a lot of work to do on themselves, but I guess if hypocrisy was a crime we’d all be breaking rocks right now.

What is interesting to me is how often people who deal in super heroes turn out to be so morally challenged. They write stories about morality and virtue in its most simplistic and clear form, and at the same time they’re cheating their collaborators out of money, taking credit for other people’s work and treating their family like sh*t. Not to mention all the fascist nut-jobs and pervy sleaze-bags. Maybe that says something about oversimplifying morality.

The Deadman
08-22-2017, 08:50 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-mtCc1wK_BeE/VwsRQVms96I/AAAAAAAABE4/XniAStz0ykEUh91NwuXclw795Gx7IiT9Q/w800-h800/16%252520-%25252033%252520%25281%2529.jpg

SHadow the Hedgehog is a pervert? No wonder he's so conflicted about things.

Krutch
08-23-2017, 11:19 AM
Could these claims hurt Joss Whedon in the long run, if they are true?
Not really. Will he lose a decent chunk of his hardcore fanbase? It's likely. But it will have literally zero impact on his career, professionally. He'll still get to direct blockbusters, produce television, and do whatever the hell he wants.

Having read the essay, I think the claim Kai is making is that the justifications he made while having the affairs...along with the betrayal of cheating in the first place, call his stated belief that "women are equal" into question.I'm still having a bit of a hard time grasping how one correlates to the other. People trip on their beliefs from time to time; does that immediately dissolve them of their label? We all have our weaknesses. We're all human. And this is coming from someone who is proud to say he's never cheated. But it's not like I don't understand the temptation, either.

We also need to keep in mind we know probably about 0.5 percent of everything thats been going on in the past 15 years behind closed doors. I wonder if it would change how people feel about this if we learned that his wife had also cheated multiple times during his long shoots away from home? We know so little about the ins and outs of their relationship.

And it's Hollywood, people. Not that it's an excuse in and of itself, but there's a common lifestyle that happens in the industry. You know how many actresses I've asked out to be told "Sure, but you should know, I have a boyfriend in (another city), but we're in an open relationship so I hope that's okay with you."

No doubt people will now begin combing through his work to find tiny little examples of Misogyny to cement their newfound opinion on the man whose same work they held as the gospel for the last 20 years.

I'd also like to say that if Whedonesque is shutting down because it's owner's opinion on the man changed overnight then that's hilariously sad.

Times like these I'm so glad I have the ability to separate art from the artist :roll:

TigerClaw
08-23-2017, 02:38 PM
Not really. Will he lose a decent chunk of his hardcore fanbase? It's likely. But it will have literally zero impact on his career, professionally. He'll still get to direct blockbusters, produce television, and do whatever the hell he wants.
He may lose a chunk of his fanbase, but I can see it also impact the box office for the movies he's directing, there would be those who won't see it cause of his involvement.

However Joss Whedon's supposed fanbase was a niche audience, so it won't have any affect at the box office.

plastroncafe
08-23-2017, 03:42 PM
I'm still having a bit of a hard time grasping how one correlates to the other. People trip on their beliefs from time to time; does that immediately dissolve them of their label? We all have our weaknesses. We're all human. And this is coming from someone who is proud to say he's never cheated. But it's not like I don't understand the temptation, either.

There's being tempted, there's following through on that temptation, and then there's blaming the temptation for the fall.

We also need to keep in mind we know probably about 0.5 percent of everything thats been going on in the past 15 years behind closed doors. I wonder if it would change how people feel about this if we learned that his wife had also cheated multiple times during his long shoots away from home? We know so little about the ins and outs of their relationship.

I'd feel the same way:
She's a liar and a coward for not asking for an open relationship.

And it's Hollywood, people. Not that it's an excuse in and of itself, but there's a common lifestyle that happens in the industry. You know how many actresses I've asked out to be told "Sure, but you should know, I have a boyfriend in (another city), but we're in an open relationship so I hope that's okay with you."

This isn't cheating.

No doubt people will now begin combing through his work to find tiny little examples of Misogyny to cement their newfound opinion on the man whose same work they held as the gospel for the last 20 years.

Begin? People have been doing this from damn near day one.
The guy is very fond of his tropes, and there are folks who are very VERY vocal about not liking those tropes.

I'd also like to say that if Whedonesque is shutting down because it's owner's opinion on the man changed overnight then that's hilariously sad.

It's my understanding that Whedonesque was beginning to wind down anyway, and this just cut that wind-down shorter.

The site was there to let people know what both Whedon, and the people he'd worked with, were up to. Given his popularity in Hollywood, it kind of became a rather sizable undertaking.

Times like these I'm so glad I have the ability to separate art from the artist :roll:

For me it's less being able to separate the art from the artist, and more being able to accept that my faves are problematic.

Finding out this guy is a douche in his personal life might give me pause, or it might taint things of his that I love...but I'll still likely watch what he makes. I think there's a huge difference between this situation and say that of Roman Polanski.

Though, I reserve the right to change this opinion at such time as more less than savory news comes out.

He may lose a chunk of his fanbase, but I can see it also impact the box office for the movies he's directing, there would be those who won't see it cause of his involvement.

However Joss Whedon's supposed fanbase was a niche audience, so it won't have any affect at the box office.

The bulk of his fanbase is female, and it's not like Hollywood makes a habit of catering to that demographic.

Andrew NDB
08-23-2017, 03:46 PM
Wasn't there a big fiasco about Whedon equating a sterile woman to a "monster" in the last Avengers movie that made him delete his Twitter and all after all the backlash? It still went on to make $1.4 billion dollars and is the second highest grossing MCU movie behind only the first Avengers.

This isn't going to do anything.

Wesley
08-23-2017, 03:54 PM
I'm not shocked by this, to be honest. I never really thought Joss Whedon was a feminist anyway as evidenced by the way the character of Cordelia Chase was written towards the end of the tv show Angel. I still have no problem being a fan of his work, though.

***First of Two Latin Kings***
08-23-2017, 04:23 PM
What's a feminist?

Krutch
08-23-2017, 04:27 PM
There's being tempted, there's following through on that temptation, and then there's blaming the temptation for the fall. Again, I think the line gets blurry here... If you say "It was the temptation that made me do it!" aren't you technically blaming yourself by saying "I was weaker than the temptation"? It's bit of a circular way of thinking...

This isn't cheating.Didn't say it was; merely stressing how common the lifestyle of having multiple partners in the film industry is.

Begin? People have been doing this from damn near day one.
The guy is very fond of his tropes, and there are folks who are very VERY vocal about not liking those tropes. Sorry, yeah, I meant his newly detached fanbase following this news. I know he's always had his haters.

It's my understanding that Whedonesque was beginning to wind down anyway, and this just cut that wind-down shorter. Ah, okay. I don't visit the site so I had no idea :P

Finding out this guy is a douche in his personal life might give me pause, or it might taint things of his that I love...but I'll still likely watch what he makes.I think there was a thread about this not too long ago... I generally conceded that unless there was an occurrence that was personally targeted against me, I have no problem consuming art or entertainment from whatever source it comes. A favourite youtuber of mine, Passion of the Nerd, posted this and pretty much sums up my feelings... I am of the belief that art, once it's shared, no longer belongs to the artist and is its own thing. I don't think any of what has come to light tarnishes Buffy, Angel, or Firefly and I try and stay out of news relating to celebrities personal lives. But like it or not, some of the complexity and nuance to Buffy is probably there BECAUSE Joss is a flawed and complicated individual.

Especially in the case of Whedon, where things like television and film have so many hands involved in the creative process.

plastroncafe
08-23-2017, 04:42 PM
Again, I think the line gets blurry here... If you say "It was the temptation that made me do it!" aren't you technically blaming yourself by saying "I was weaker than the temptation"? It's bit of a circular way of thinking...

At the end of the day it's just semantics, but to me blaming the temptation is like saying one had no control.
One has control, one just decided not to heed it.
It's...cowardly passing of the buck.

I'd expect better from a guy who's really vocal about being against the whole, "Guys just don't have self control. Amirite?" thing.

Didn't say it was; merely stressing how common the lifestyle of having multiple partners in the film industry is.

It's not just the film industry, but I catch your meaning.
The issue here isn't that he wanted to sleep around, it's that his committed lifepartner didn't give consent.

At very least that's a betrayal of trust, at most...he literally put her life in danger.

I think there was a thread about this not too long ago... I generally conceded that unless there was an occurrence that was personally targeted against me, I have no problem consuming art or entertainment from whatever source it comes. A favourite youtuber of mine, Passion of the Nerd, posted this and pretty much sums up my feelings...

Especially in the case of Whedon, where things like television and film have so many hands involved in the creative process.

For me it's a matter of money.
Do I want my money going into the pocket of someone I find abhorrent?

Krutch
08-23-2017, 04:54 PM
At the end of the day it's just semantics, but to me blaming the temptation is like saying one had no control.
One has control, one just decided not to heed it.
It's...cowardly passing of the buck.All fair points. Well said.
For me it's a matter of money.
Do I want my money going into the pocket of someone I find abhorrent?I can understand that reservation. But again, when speaking in terms of film or television where Joss doesn't get nearly every nickel and dime when someone buys a Buffy boxset, would you condemn the other producers and distributors by association?

I suppose there's always... http://www.unixstickers.com/image/cache/data/stickers/tpb/tpb_logowtype.sh-600x600.png

plastroncafe
08-23-2017, 05:07 PM
I can understand that reservation. But again, when speaking in terms of film or television where Joss doesn't get nearly every nickel and dime when someone buys a Buffy boxset, would you condemn the other producers and distributors by association?

I suppose there's always... http://www.unixstickers.com/image/cache/data/stickers/tpb/tpb_logowtype.sh-600x600.png

HA! That or the library. Or a streaming service.
Or....you could be like me old enough to already have all of Buffy, Angel, and Firefly on dvd.

ZariusTwo
08-24-2017, 09:00 AM

I read a bit of the comments section and the site's admin said there had been a plan to close the site for sometime, they just picked this incident to speed up the process.

Spike Spiegel
08-24-2017, 08:02 PM
Respect the creations, but remember that the creators are only human. And like many humans, they can often be assholes.

I met one of Marvel's top current writers when I was in college (not saying his name for the sake of not being petty) after inhaling a lot of stuff he did for DC during my childhood and early adolescence. He was a real dick in person, and
I got a strong vibe of elitism from him. It was kind of ironic to see him post a lot of SJW-oriented attacks directed towards various people on Twitter not too long after.

snake
08-24-2017, 08:04 PM
Respect the creations, but remember that the creators are only human. And like many humans, they can often be assholes.

I met one of Marvel's top current writers when I was in college (not saying his name for the sake of not being petty) after inhaling a lot of stuff he did for DC during my childhood and early adolescence. He was a real dick in person, and
I got a strong vibe of elitism from him. It was kind of ironic to see him post a lot of SJW-oriented attacks directed towards various people on Twitter not too long after.

Is it Dan Slott? I bet it's Dan Slott.

Spike Spiegel
08-24-2017, 08:09 PM
Is it Dan Slott? I bet it's Dan Slott.

No, it wasn't him.

PM me if you really want the details.

I don't care for Slott's Spider-Man, and I know a lot of people can't stand his Twitter interactions with fans, but his She-Hulk was all right.

Sumac
08-24-2017, 08:48 PM
Wasn't there a big fiasco about Whedon equating a sterile woman to a "monster" in the last Avengers movie that made him delete his Twitter and all after all the backlash?
It was typical SJWs typically taking words from context.

plastroncafe
08-24-2017, 11:04 PM
Translation: people had a different opinion than me.

Papenbrook
11-23-2017, 04:06 PM
It appears that The Wrap article has since been updated. (https://www.thewrap.com/joss-whedon-feminist-hypocrite-infidelity-affairs-ex-wife-kai-cole-says/)

Andrew NDB
07-16-2020, 04:00 AM
Whedon in "trouble" again:

https://www.hindustantimes.com/hollywood/no-one-will-ever-hire-you-again-avengers-director-joss-whedon-s-old-collaborators-level-fresh-allegations-call-him-egomaniac/story-R3DudyNjaVurIJ5LPFoYcP.html

Eh, though... I'm not sure I'm really against him in this case. Sounds like... two people on his crew started dating and he didn't want a conflict of interest and stuck to his guns on that? And they were really mad about that as a result? Ehhh... seems like no real story here.

Aelia
07-16-2020, 05:45 AM
Whedon in "trouble" again:

https://www.hindustantimes.com/hollywood/no-one-will-ever-hire-you-again-avengers-director-joss-whedon-s-old-collaborators-level-fresh-allegations-call-him-egomaniac/story-R3DudyNjaVurIJ5LPFoYcP.html

Eh, though... I'm not sure I'm really against him in this case. Sounds like... two people on his crew started dating and he didn't want a conflict of interest and stuck to his guns on that? And they were really mad about that as a result? Ehhh... seems like no real story here.

Says right there in the article that they were engaged, which is a little bit more than just dating. Dude wanted them to call their whole marriage off for a TV show then got mad and threw in a thinly veiled threat when they didn't comply.

ZariusTwo
07-16-2020, 06:43 AM
Here's another account of Whedon having a tantrum from James Marsters, formerly Spike

https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2550344/buffy-the-vampire-slayers-james-marsters-recalls-awkward-encounter-with-joss-whedon

Leo656
07-16-2020, 07:06 AM
Yeah, I've had wrestling promoters pull the same sh*t on me regarding my wife, it's bullsh*t but a lot of people are like that. It's scummy, I don't like it.

Sumac
07-16-2020, 12:05 PM
Surprise! Another male feminist is a ****** ****.

No pity for him, though, he helped to create this culture and profited from it. I don't want him to be chased from profession, but if it make him loose some pounds and dollars, good.

AquaParade
07-16-2020, 12:19 PM
Here's another account of Whedon having a tantrum from James Marsters, formerly Spike

https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2550344/buffy-the-vampire-slayers-james-marsters-recalls-awkward-encounter-with-joss-whedon

It's strange to me that justice essentially becomes a bunch of people talking **** and spreading it online, so other people won't be fooled by your "fake persona" or whatever.

I'm not here to judge Whedon or judge his, uh, "haters". I just find the whole thing kinda weird.

Galactus
07-16-2020, 12:52 PM
I actually like a lot of Whedon's work. Buffy, Angel, Firefly, The Avengers but I've always found his feminism kinda off. I don't begrudge some Carry On...esque humour as it's pretty harmless in moderation but the fact that he used the same face planting joke multiple times even going so far as to getting a body double when the actress refused to do it is quite problematic. I also found the character 'arc' Buffy goes through in Season 6 of the show very questionable. Joss routinely puts her in humiliating and degrading situations were the only time she feels alive is to have nasty sex with a guy she hates. The absolute pits is when Spike tries to rape her and she lets him live :o.

The fact that he has fine some very sketchy things isn't a huge suprise. Thankfully I tend to appreciate his works as a collaborative effort. seeing Angel seasons 3 & 4 which Whedon had less involvement in you can see the superior character work done by David Greenwalt and co but Joss definitely brings a certain tone that makes the show more marketable. His career is already in dodgy territory which is strange to think when what killed it was an Avengers sequel which didn't quite hit the mark of the original. I doubt these revelations will do much to move the dial significantly either way.

Papenbrook
02-10-2021, 12:29 PM
One more reason to believe that Joss Whedon is a manipulative human being. (https://mobile.twitter.com/AllCharisma/status/1359537746843365381)

May she have time to heal. Until then, my thoughts are with her at this time.

Leo656
02-10-2021, 12:43 PM
Shhhhhhh, shhh-shhh-shhhh.

The guy made Buffy, therefore he's beyond all reproach and clearly everything people say is lies and slander from people looking for their 15 minutes, nothing more.

He's a saint, like Marilyn Manson.

CyberCubed
02-10-2021, 01:09 PM
Charisma Carpenter is great and they got rid of her in the last season of Angel just because she was pregnant. I believe her.

Joss Whedon is a piece of ****. I'm glad he's finally getting his due. That manipulative sleezeball that treats his female actresses like crap. I hope he rots in hell for all eternity.

neatoman
02-10-2021, 01:11 PM
Is it safe to assume most celebrities have some questionable behaviour, commit hypocrisy or have some skeletons in the closet? I don't necessarily mean in some extreme or serious way, just that there's something they keep hidden from the public. It just kind of seems they really want their image to be as squeaky clean as possible, so they hide whatever little off norm opinion, guilty pleasure or "unorthodox" aspect of themselves as far from public eyes as they can.

snake
02-10-2021, 01:28 PM
Whedon turns out to be a sex weirdo? What a shock.

ZariusTwo
02-10-2021, 01:58 PM
I wonder how much of Nicholas Brendon's sad life was caused by Whedon's behaviour?

Andrew NDB
02-10-2021, 03:34 PM
Sarah Michelle Gellar just shared a post about him on Instagram. Didn't say much but she basically agrees he is poo.

CyberCubed
02-10-2021, 07:54 PM
Joss Whedon has always been a terrible person. He's the exact kind of "fake feminist" type of guy where he acts what he does is uplifting to women but behind all that he's a manipulative and abusing piece of s*it to women. I hope Disney gets rid of him too.

And yeah, all those sexist jokes in Buffy back in the day were likely him using the characters as a mouthpiece. Xander had a lot of lines like that throughout the show.

Andrew NDB
02-10-2021, 08:31 PM
Joss Whedon has always been a terrible person. He's the exact kind of "fake feminist" type of guy where he acts what he does is uplifting to women but behind all that he's a manipulative and abusing piece of s*it to women.

True (probably). Which is why I don't feel too bad for the guy.

Still, I wonder about this. This isn't even the first time Carpenter has "exposed" Whedon about all of this, but suddenly it is like a brand new thing and a rallying cry for all the Buffy cast? Like, maybe he acted in spite... but maybe she was also very difficult to work with and temperamental (or maybe just not reliable), pregnancy aside? We didn't work all of those long hours on those sets, how do we know?

F*** what the Cryborg guy from the Justice League movie that nobody liked said (or won't stop saying). Like, let's hear from the cast of Firefly. Or Dollhouse. Or hey, what does Eliza Dushku have to say? She followed Whedon around to 3 different shows and was even offered a fourth. Like I mean to ask... was he an equal opportunity assh**e to everybody, or are we saying just women? Or was it just Charisma Carpenter? Because if it was just ever Charisma Carpenter then that suggests to me it's all maybe being a little misrepresented.

Leo656
02-10-2021, 08:38 PM
Jason Mamoa and Gal Gadot are "nobody", now? They've openly agreed with everything Fisher has said, even if it wasn't spoken as loudly or often.

Settle down, cowboy. Just because you want to believe it was all sour grapes doesn't make it the truth. Apparently "Treating people who work under him like sh*t" is apparently a habit of Whedon's, and if anything he's an equal-opportunity offender. F*ck 'em. "Buffy" was overrated as hell, any damn way, and "Avengers" was so paint-by-numbers even my dumb ass could've directed it. Guy's a hack.

Andrew NDB
02-10-2021, 08:42 PM
Jason Mamoa and Gal Gadot are "nobody", now? They've openly agreed with everything Fisher has said

Not really, unless I'm missing things. Momoa basically said he "supported" him (which is not the same as saying everything Cryborg said was true) in a diplomatic Tweet as I recall, and as best as I can figure all Gadot said is that she wasn't on set when Cryborg had the incidents he's complaining about.

Leo656
02-10-2021, 08:53 PM
No, she said more than once that she wasn't happy with her own experience of working with Whedon in general, and in turn that's why she supported Fisher, because she saw enough on her own to know that whatever anyone else says about Whedon is most likely true even if she only saw part of it with her own eyes. For what it's worth, even Jenkins, who had no involvement of her own with Whedon, is on record saying more or less "Nobody liked working with him and everybody's trying to just move on and forget that the Justice League reshoots happened." Granted, she wasn't there, but her statements imply that she's spoken to people who were. Otherwise why even say anything? She's not directly involved. She could've said "I don't know, I wasn't there." instead she said "Yeah, I heard he's a real dick" (paraphrasing). Could be he's a dick.

Fess up, you're just annoyed because these people won't dish the juicy gossip you crave, "dish the dirt and name the names". :trazz: The guy's a walking dumpster fire. I don't need names, dates, and notarized documents. I know sh*t when I smell it. And Whedon always smelled funny to me.

I agree we shouldn't convict people in the court of public opinion on allegations alone, but c'mon by now. How much smoke is necessary? By this point I'm more than willing to believe that every single allegation made by ANYONE against Joss Whedon is true. Everybody more or less tells the same story about what a dick the guy is. How many times are we gonna say, "Yeah, well... we didn't SEE it, though"?

Nobody saw Cosby rape them chicks, either. But everybody knows he did it. Nobody saw OJ cut Nicole's head off. But everybody knows he did it.

There's "Benefit of the doubt" and then there's just being obstinate.

Papenbrook
02-10-2021, 09:25 PM
Michelle Trachtenberg has also spoken out about her experience with Joss Whedon. (https://deadline.com/2021/02/sarah-michelle-gellar-abuse-claims-response-charisma-carpenter-joss-whedon-buffy-1234691481/)

TMNTFanatic4Life
02-10-2021, 10:44 PM
I enjoyed both Angel and Buffy but yeah, Joss seems like a real tool bag.

Andrew NDB
03-01-2021, 08:32 PM
"WhedonCon" changing to the "Hellmouth Convention."

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/whedoncon-distances-from-joss-whedon-changes-to-hellmouth-convention/

ranger_scout
05-09-2021, 12:07 PM
Gal Gadot confirmed that Whedon threatened her career on the set of Justice League.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/wonder_woman/wonder_woman_1984/justice-league-star-gal-gadot-confirms-joss-whedon-told-me-he-will-finish-my-career-a184618#gs.0yswbw

Papenbrook
05-09-2021, 09:33 PM
Oh my. I hope that she's okay now.

It seems that Whedon has screwed over a lot of people.

Sumac
05-10-2021, 06:13 AM
Oh my. I hope that she's okay now.
"Rich actress" / "not OK"
Choose one.

I knew Whedon is garbage, though I hoped he is not that bad, but apparently he is a typical male feminist trash creep. Just to think that few years ago he was considered "an icon of male feminism". :lol:

CyberCubed
05-10-2021, 06:39 AM
Joss Whedon is such a moron. Imagine wanting to make Gal Gadot look bad when he has nothing to do with the Wonder Woman movies, and Justice League originally wasn't his movie either.

Like why would he even care? Other than to be mean spirited to the actress? What a loser.

IMJ
05-10-2021, 09:40 AM
Gal Gadot confirmed that Whedon threatened her on the set of Justice League.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/wonder_woman/wonder_woman_1984/justice-league-star-gal-gadot-confirms-joss-whedon-told-me-he-will-finish-my-career-a184618#gs.0yswbw

Threatened her career. Career. Something which bosses do, right or wrong, all the time. Most of the time wrong.

I don't think that anyone is actually supporting Whedon in this; but there are still two camps here. One recognizes that "nobody likes that behavior but it's often a fact of life when dealing with someone in control who relies on that style". The other is the "outrage at anything" camp who operate with a hard line in the sand - either you've sided with Joss or you side with them and ruin his life. It's the the thoughts of the second camp that firmly puts me into the "defense of Joss" camp.

Joss Whedon is a dick, but we aren't dealing with that on it's own merits. Too many people flinging "abuse!", "evil!" "threats!". But a lot of people recognize what's going on but have the perspective that is "quit complaining like a child that someone yelled at you and just do your damn job for your new boss".

I mean let's distill it down to the truth and face it - the real truth is that Joss Whedon was mean to the cast in his attempt to wrest the project from their loyalty to Snyder. Whedon could've gone another leadership route and worked to earn the cast's trust of course, but here we have a generation of trophy-getters who, instead of dealing with it, find relevance in going to war that they are "fighting an abuser". It doesn't mean that Whedon was a good leader or that something should be said, but it certainly doesn't mean inquisitions, investigations and media smear campaigns. Ray Fisher got angry that his part was reduced in the Whedon cut and threw a manipulative fit by making this his life's virtue-battle whereas most reasonable people would've moved on to make their next movie.

It's f'n ridiculous.

CyberCubed
05-10-2021, 11:07 AM
Then why does he only target women and minorities?

It gets suspicious that Superman, Flash, etc's actors don't have any complaints about Whedon because he never attacked them.

IMJ
05-10-2021, 11:16 AM
Then why does he only target women and minorities?

It gets suspicious that Superman, Flash, etc's actors don't have any complaints about Whedon because he never attacked them.

See... lmao you can't be that way dude. That's like - that line of logic is the reason that there's a world of tunnel-vision people out tearing the world apart.

Maybe the actor's that don't have any complaints have more tact.
Maybe the actor's that don't have any complaints were more cooperative on-set.
Maybe the actor's that don't have any complaints got the same treatment but didn't feel strong-armed and just shook it off.
Maybe Ray Fisher is just an @$$hole and had conflict with Whedon and then combine that with maybe Gadot has the same thought processes that you asserted there and so took a stand against Whedon, creating conflict with him and Whedon handled it like a tool.

I mean right there are four assumptions maybe even more likely to be true; to the one assumption that says "that's it! Whedon is a woman-hating racist!". I'm not saying that he isn't, okay? But I am saying that the court of public opinion is quite commonly completely full of $#!T and is overly vindicated and validated on the occasions they might be correct.

I mean, seriously give that some consideration, dude.