The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-23-2017, 10:11 AM   #121
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

So I'm still not very far in, but I've kept up on all the reviews. So far I like Finn Jones' portrayal of Danny, but that could change.

What IS a HUGE issue for me is that they never show K'un-L'un or Shou-Lao the Undying.

I think the critical issue facing Iron Fist is that it has nothing new to show or say, no real reason to exist other than "fourth member of the Defenders."

Daredevil showed us an R-rated vigilante with deep religious roots and beliefs, struggling with his faith and his bloody version of justice. This was new.

Jessica Jones showed us an independent female hero and a whole host of female issues, ranging from abortion and choice, to rape and PTSD. This was new.

Luke Cage showed us a black man on the streets dealing with his environment, racial tensions, police brutality, and how the public views a "scary black man." This was new (and incredibly needed in light of American race issues on the rise).

Iron Fist COULD have shown us full-out balls-to-the-wall mysticism with magical cities, dragons, and chi powers. Instead... familiar retelling of Batman Begins and Arrow story tropes. Iron Fist COULD have mattered, with an examination of Eastern philosophy and religion, and with some crazy fun story elements some would consider "too out there." Instead they played it safe... and this is what happens.

Anyway, that's my take on the situation from examining others' critiques and reviews. I don't think any of this opinion will change no matter how enjoyable or disenjoyable the show will be to me as I continue watching it. At the end of the day, Marvel should have kept pushing the envelope but they didn't.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:14 AM   #122
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Iron Fist COULD have shown us full-out balls-to-the-wall mysticism with magical cities, dragons, and chi powers.
Sounds like all of that stuff will be in season 2.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:17 AM   #123
ToTheNines
[sic]

I don't think they have the budget for it.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:18 AM   #124
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
I don't think they have the budget for it.
Yeah, I wonder how they'd pull it off. Their trip to "China" this season was... questionable.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:27 AM   #125
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Iron Fist's comic costume really is kinda ridiculous tho. For the Netflix shows he should just get the bandana/mask thing, that would probably be enough
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:30 AM   #126
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Iron Fist's comic costume really is kinda ridiculous tho. For the Netflix shows he should just get the bandana/mask thing, that would probably be enough
Yeah, definitely not the weird collar thing I see often.

Something like this would work:

Or this:

Old 03-23-2017, 07:48 PM   #127
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

There is no logical or believable reason that Danny Rand could be so incredibly and consistently naive... with EVERYONE.

He wasn't alone for over a decade, he was in a different culture. He shouldn't be acting like a 15-yr-old (equal parts naive and arrogant); he should be acting like he grew up in a different culture.

I hate to say it, but between this problem and the lack of anything overtly mystic (K'un-L'un and the dragon), I think this series is poorly written. Hopefully the rest of it will improve my opinion, but...

Old 03-23-2017, 08:06 PM   #128
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
There is no logical or believable reason that Danny Rand could be so incredibly and consistently naive... with EVERYONE.

He wasn't alone for over a decade, he was in a different culture. He shouldn't be acting like a 15-yr-old (equal parts naive and arrogant); he should be acting like he grew up in a different culture.

I hate to say it, but between this problem and the lack of anything overtly mystic (K'un-L'un and the dragon), I think this series is poorly written. Hopefully the rest of it will improve my opinion, but...

Oh no, it's definitely very, very poorly written. I'm on Ep. 8 now. When it picks up speed and gets going it can get pretty good, but there are these awful lulls where the story slows down or the plot just takes an inconceivable left turn. The actors are doing pretty damn good jobs with what they've been given, but they weren't given much. This show did not need 13 episodes, or it could have used some serious rewrites if they were intent on doing 13 like the other series.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:12 PM   #129
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Oh no, it's definitely very, very poorly written. I'm on Ep. 8 now. When it picks up speed and gets going it can get pretty good, but there are these awful lulls where the story slows down or the plot just takes an inconceivable left turn. The actors are doing pretty damn good jobs with what they've been given, but they weren't given much. This show did not need 13 episodes, or it could have used some serious rewrites if they were intent on doing 13 like the other series.
That hatchet hallway fight, though.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:23 PM   #130
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
That hatchet hallway fight, though.
oh yeah, that shi was tight

reminded me of that scene in Kung Fu Hustle [2004]
Old 03-23-2017, 09:01 PM   #131
ToTheNines
[sic]

I think they especially bungled Claire Temple. Her dialogue was atrocious. Poor Rosario.

Quote:
He at least needs the mask. If only to let the stunt men jump in more often.

Quote:
So I'm still not very far in, but I've kept up on all the reviews. So far I like Finn Jones' portrayal of Danny, but that could change.

What IS a HUGE issue for me is that they never show K'un-L'un or Shou-Lao the Undying.

I think the critical issue facing Iron Fist is that it has nothing new to show or say, no real reason to exist other than "fourth member of the Defenders."

Daredevil showed us an R-rated vigilante with deep religious roots and beliefs, struggling with his faith and his bloody version of justice. This was new.

Jessica Jones showed us an independent female hero and a whole host of female issues, ranging from abortion and choice, to rape and PTSD. This was new.

Luke Cage showed us a black man on the streets dealing with his environment, racial tensions, police brutality, and how the public views a "scary black man." This was new (and incredibly needed in light of American race issues on the rise).

Iron Fist COULD have shown us full-out balls-to-the-wall mysticism with magical cities, dragons, and chi powers. Instead... familiar retelling of Batman Begins and Arrow story tropes. Iron Fist COULD have mattered, with an examination of Eastern philosophy and religion, and with some crazy fun story elements some would consider "too out there." Instead they played it safe... and this is what happens.

Anyway, that's my take on the situation from examining others' critiques and reviews. I don't think any of this opinion will change no matter how enjoyable or disenjoyable the show will be to me as I continue watching it. At the end of the day, Marvel should have kept pushing the envelope but they didn't.
This is a good assessment.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:40 PM   #132
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
I think they especially bungled Claire Temple. Her dialogue was atrocious. Poor Rosario.
There was no way she would advocate taking that dying heroin dude to the hospital with the Hand hot on his heels. Not after Daredevil season 2. Like, there is no way she can sit there and say that's a good idea. But then she'd shift gears and talk about how horrible it was what the Hand did at the hospital... very strange.

Apart from that, I dug Claire in this. She felt like she was in it just as much as Daredevil season 1, if not moreso.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:41 PM   #133
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Well, I just finished the last two episodes. That was... disappointing. The whole series. There were a lot of parts where the writing was so bad, it just sounded so off. I don't know how many times I thought to myself "that is not a a real person would respond in that situation".
Old 07-21-2017, 06:52 PM   #134
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Season 2 is coming

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/iron...ix-1202503174/
Old 07-22-2017, 12:33 PM   #135
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Good. Now give us the freaking dragon and origin story!
Old 07-19-2018, 08:40 PM   #136
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Whoa... this is AWESOME.

https://screenrant.com/iron-fist-ali...racter-photos/

Spoiler:
Typhoid Mary!!!
Old 07-19-2018, 08:42 PM   #137
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Old 08-16-2018, 10:58 AM   #138
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Old 08-16-2018, 11:21 AM   #139
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Freaking love me some Ward Meachum.

Excited for Typhoid Mary.

But they'd better freaking give us the damn dragon this time.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:40 PM   #140
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Freaking love me some Ward Meachum.

Excited for Typhoid Mary.

But they'd better freaking give us the damn dragon this time.
I thought he was gling to forgo it in favor of Daredevil's costume?

Did anyone else find Joy Meechum's 180 turn between her second to last scene and last scene not believeable for the presentation of her character. There was absolutely nothing to imply a heel turn.

Tags
iron cuck, toomuchkevinnash