The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 09-09-2019, 10:27 PM   #261
Leo656
The Franchise

You talkin' to me, Guy? Because I was talking to The Room, not you specifically. Rest assured, if I'm aiming anything towards a specific person it'll be crystal clear.

Forgive the assumption, but since I was the last person to post, and you didn't specify, I'm forced to assume that your reply was for me. If not, then that's fine.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:40 PM   #262
TommyT
Banned

I was replying to the message above you.
But, if you feel it applies, take it as you will. I repeat, forums are for conversations, not silos of agreement. I think, buying the exact same thing all over again is a very strange move, but making a product, exactly the same all over again, that has had a very recent release, is just as stange. This is the thread to talk about this release, so, here’s my take. Why Playmates is cool with this is beyond me.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:01 AM   #263
Leo656
The Franchise

Thanks for clarifying. As I said, I wasn't sure who you were replying to. I, myself, generally will quote a person if I'm responding to them directly, just so nobody gets confused. Food for thought.

On principle, I agree with you. But as others have said, some people are taking their disapproval of these and others toys to a weird degree by repeating themselves ad nauseum rather than simply moving on once they've made themselves clear.

You're right, a forum shouldn't be an echo chamber. Absolutely not. But at some point, once a person makes their point, and it's understood, then there's really little to accomplish by flogging the horse. It just upsets people. At some point, a line is crossed between "I'm merely voicing my opinion, which is my right", and running the point into the ground.

Again, that's just a bit of good advice for everyone, not anyone in particular (although anyone who feels it's addressed to them could probably say it's a fair bet). A lot of the conversations around here go south because people needlessly go in circles. Even I have had to stop myself at times and say, "Y'know, I already said it. It's whatever, now." And lemme tell you, I can and do go on, when properly motivated. But I try and stop short of repeating myself too much.
-----------------------------------

To the toys themselves, I think they're neat. I'd probably pick up a few if I had the cash, but they're a bit too expensive for my tastes. I do dig the concept, though, and I'm sure plenty of people think it's the greatest thing ever. It's not too dissimilar to how Mattel did a line of "Super-Powers"-inspired DC figures a year or so ago; they were essentially designed to mimic the 1985 toys but with modern articulation and scale, but minus the action features. Those were awesome. I dig retro/throwback stuff, which is what these TMNT toys are. I can totally understand why they're not awesome to everyone, and frankly, my nostalgia for the 80s TMNT line of toys is minimal. I had a few, they were fine, but I've never been in love with the line like most people here. But this kinda thing, to me, hurts absolutely no one. Again, if people want 'em, they'll buy 'em. That's what's great about a free market: freedom of choice. We're absolutely spoiled with TMNT product, and while none of it is perfect, a lot of it is pretty good. I just wish the stuff wasn't so damn expensive.

I say, there's plenty to choose from right now; buy what you like and ignore what you don't. Have an opinion, sure, but it's not really something worth having super-strong feelings over.

Old 09-10-2019, 12:33 AM   #264
TommyT
Banned

You know, that felt like you’re telling me off, but I know you’re talking to the room, or whatever. I’ve made two comments about the line, and neither invoke you, or were addressed to you about how or what you talk about. If I did, it would probably be that people don’t appreciate a rebuke, or that kind of tone from a stranger. Food for thought.

I don’t think this reply requires an @, as I’m sure the intended audience will know whom they are.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:00 AM   #265
Lordmylar06
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
I was replying to the message above you.
But, if you feel it applies, take it as you will. I repeat, forums are for conversations, not silos of agreement. I think, buying the exact same thing all over again is a very strange move, but making a product, exactly the same all over again, that has had a very recent release, is just as stange. This is the thread to talk about this release, so, here’s my take. Why Playmates is cool with this is beyond me.
Except that it’s not “the exact same thing all over again.”
Lordmylar06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:30 AM   #266
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
You know, that felt like you’re telling me off, but I know you’re talking to the room, or whatever. I’ve made two comments about the line, and neither invoke you, or were addressed to you about how or what you talk about. If I did, it would probably be that people don’t appreciate a rebuke, or that kind of tone from a stranger. Food for thought.

I don’t think this reply requires an @, as I’m sure the intended audience will know whom they are.
It's interesting you feel that way.

Rest assured, if it were meant to be taken that way, you would know. I'm not very subtle. Maybe I could name names, but at the moment I don't feel like it. It's not like it's any one person or any one thread in this section, after all. There are several people who could stand to take a breath. Been going on for a while.

As for whether my nickel's worth of free advice was appreciated by anyone else, and/or if anyone has an issue with my "tone"... I'm certainly not about to start caring about sh*t like that now, after all these years. I'm just dropping my two cents, same as anyone else. People can take it or leave it.

Hope that clears things up.

Last edited by Leo656; 09-10-2019 at 01:36 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:53 AM   #267
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Anyway... Is there anything official on when these will be available?
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:13 AM   #268
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordmylar06 View Post
You’re excited to buy the same sculpts with more more articulation, I get it. I guess that makes you happy, and that’s cool. I thought maybe a new licenseee would mean we’d see further exploration, maybe styles that haven’t been done before, given the multiverse of turtles that haven’t been developed into toys yet.

If you want to split hairs, they’re not exactly the same, but its nit new and fresh either. Just disappointed this is the direction they went.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:39 AM   #269
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
You’re excited to buy the same sculpts with more more articulation, I get it. I guess that makes you happy, and that’s cool.
I'm very excited about it, we're finally getting a "Classics" line like Masters of the Universe did, something Playmates at bare minimum, pathetically failed at giving us.

And it isn't the exact same sculpt, it's a lot closer to the vintage figures then MOTUC did, but Four Horsemen are amazing sculptures and having another 4H sculpted set of Turtles is amazing.

Quote:
I thought maybe a new licenseee would mean we’d see further exploration, maybe styles that haven’t been done before, given the multiverse of turtles that haven’t been developed into toys yet.
We haven't been given a modern take on the 1988 figures, so it is a new venture into TMNT figures.

Quote:
If you want to split hairs, they’re not exactly the same, but its nit new and fresh either. Just disappointed this is the direction they went.
Eh, if you was expecting something "fresh and new" from Super7, you set yourself up for disappointment. This is the company that took on the MOTUC license, vintage styled He-Man figurs with Filmation design, does the various MUSCLE figures of other IPs (like He-Man), PoA Kenner style figures of various IPs. All the Ultimate lines are nostalgia driven brands: Schwarzenegger Conan, Voltron, Ren & Stimpy and Toxic Crusader.

They're mostly vintage and nostalgia driven.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:27 AM   #270
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More View Post
Anyway... Is there anything official on when these will be available?
October 2019. See link below.

https://toynewsi.com/345-34225
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:06 AM   #271
Lordmylar06
Stone Warrior

Quote:
You’re excited to buy the same sculpts with more more articulation, I get it. I guess that makes you happy, and that’s cool. I thought maybe a new licenseee would mean we’d see further exploration, maybe styles that haven’t been done before, given the multiverse of turtles that haven’t been developed into toys yet.

It's fine for you to be disappointed, but the problem is in your arguments. You say it's the same sculpt, then you backpeddle and say "they're not exactly the same". Someone else has already made the point of the MOTU Classics line being such a success when it was the same thing that you seem to have an issue with. It's a scaled up, higher quality sculpt with more articulation for adult collectors. It's something I want and am very excited for, and in my opinion a good move on Super7's part.
Lordmylar06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:16 AM   #272
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
And it isn't the exact same sculpt, it's a lot closer to the vintage figures then MOTUC did, but Four Horsemen are amazing sculptures and having another 4H sculpted set of Turtles is amazing. We haven't been given a modern take on the 1988 figures, so it is a new venture into TMNT figures.

Eh, if you was expecting something "fresh and new" from Super7, you set yourself up for disappointment. This is the company that took on the MOTUC license, vintage styled He-Man figurs with Filmation design ...
It was the Filmation line that gave me hope we'd get something from the cartoon, or maybe an IDW or Mirage release. I do get that this is the S7 thing, they love vintage, and in hindsight it makes sense.
Mikey0 had a few valid points, (just a few) about Neca missing the mark on their cartoon line. I was hoping for a challenger to create competition, and push Neca to do more. Maybe they have plans to do that here, just haven't announced.

QUOTE=Lordmylar06;1818798]It's fine for you to be disappointed, but the problem is in your arguments. You say it's the same sculpt, then you backpeddle and say "they're not exactly the same". Someone else has already made the point of the MOTU Classics line being such a success when it was the same thing that you seem to have an issue with. It's a scaled up, higher quality sculpt with more articulation for adult collectors. It's something I want and am very excited for, and in my opinion a good move on Super7's part.[/QUOTE]

I'm not backpedaling. It's the same thing, with a few minor tweaks. The classsics line was quite a bit different, and the four horseman, as you know, have done multiple renditions of He-man. I liked the Filmation stuff, and that was my hope. Toon accuracy, from a different company. Playmates toys are not accurate to any other media. Again, I'm not saying their isn't a market for the proverbial double dipping, people who buy the movie on DVD might buy it on blu-ray and again at 4k. it is still the same thing. These figures are just HD versions of Playmates figures, and in that respect a retread.

Last edited by TommyT; 09-10-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:30 AM   #273
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
It was the Filmation line that gave me hope we'd get something from the cartoon, or maybe an IDW or Mirage release. I do get that this is the S7 thing, they love vintage, and in hindsight it makes sense.
Mikey0 had a few valid points, (just a few) about Neca missing the mark on their cartoon line. I was hoping for a challenger to create competition, and push Neca to do more. Maybe they have plans to do that here, just haven't announced.
I'm glad S7 don't retread the same FW route, the NECA figures are fairly close to a overall FW look (reghardless of some overly nitpicks from that guy), and Bandai did the Retro Stockart, so it's a fairly bloated area of the franchise.

Club Grayskull figures caters to the ones that like the Filmation cartoon, but personally. Damn those figures are so boring looking with their super simplified and smooth detail look, better to use 4H sculpting skill on something that actually have details then yet another set of FW figures
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:36 AM   #274
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Because S7 also has great looking Thundercats for preorder, and has done cool He-man stuff. These are ugly, and literally pointless upgrades.

Crazy thought here, but why not be critical of a double dip?
Personally, I like these figures, but i hear you and welcome your criticisms. No need for us to be a hive-mind here as long as we are all respectful.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:57 AM   #275
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
I'm glad S7 don't retread the same FW route, the NECA figures are fairly close to a overall FW look (reghardless of some overly nitpicks from that guy), and Bandai did the Retro Stockart, so it's a fairly bloated area of the franchise.

Club Grayskull figures caters to the ones that like the Filmation cartoon, but personally. Damn those figures are so boring looking with their super simplified and smooth detail look, better to use 4H sculpting skill on something that actually have details then yet another set of FW figures
So we fundamentally disagree. For my money, I'd be much happier with cartoon accurate toys, or comic accurate toys for that matter. I don't agree that simple and clean means it's easier, or that the talent is wasted.
And no, neither the Filmation he-man or the Neca Turtles are perfect renditions, and I would love someone to step in and get them right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Personally, I like these figures, but i hear you and welcome your criticisms. No need for us to be a hive-mind here as long as we are all respectful.
Thank you for saying so. I'm not sure anyone is interested in being told what they can and can't say, especially if this is a thread to do just that.
One of the things about this fandom I like the most, is the variety of styles the turtles come in, a something for everyone approach. Hopefully we'll get that in the future.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:08 AM   #276
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordmylar06 View Post
Exactly. The ‘88 Raphael had webbed feet, no furrowed brow, no sunburnt plastron, different detachable belt, bulging muscles, different elbow pads, new knee pads, wider face, shorter bandana, and skin tone that doesn’t match that of the ‘19 Ultimate Raphael.

I wonder what an Ultimate Movie Star Raphael would look like. Movie Star Raphael was the rarest of the Movie Star Turtles in early 1992.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:32 AM   #277
TommyT
Banned

Ha ha ha. Come on. The differences, aside from height are minutia.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:44 AM   #278
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Ha ha ha. Come on. The differences, aside from height are minutia.
https://i.toynewsi.com/g/generated/S...scaled_800.jpg
Ultimate Raphael is more like a Marvel Legends version of ‘88 Raphael than an 8 inch carbon copy of the ‘88 Raphael. Was that what Super7 was going for with these or no?
Old 09-10-2019, 12:29 PM   #279
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
Ultimate Raphael is more like a Marvel Legends version of ‘88 Raphael than an 8 inch carbon copy of the ‘88 Raphael. Was that what Super7 was going for with these or no?
Clearly they were trying to do the toy's as you remember them, not as they were. The changes are embellishments, but the design is effectively the same in my opinion. I think we can all agree this is Playmates in HD, a redo, not a new fig. When the Filmation he-man was re-issued, they put out a new head sculpt, and the plastic changed. Those are changes, but I wouldn't argue the figure was new. And with that I think this needs to come to an end. I've said all I need to. Glad it's on some peoples buy list. It will be interesting to see what they do with that horrible old man Shredder and the ghastly April from back in the day.

Last edited by TommyT; 09-10-2019 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:45 PM   #280
AquaParade
Banned

I think there is a clear and strong difference between the two figures. What strikes me about the Super 7 figures is the paint job. There is something so inviting about those colors.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote