The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 11-30-2020, 05:56 AM   #61
Da Foot
Mouser

I understand that playmates toys is not a collector/adult toy company, but if only they could do something like Mattel is doing with MOTU origins that would be great
Da Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:09 AM   #62
Ric Rueger
New Recruit

Have these shown up in stores anywhere ?

Thanks
Ric Rueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:06 PM   #63
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric Rueger View Post
Have these shown up in stores anywhere ?

Thanks
No, these have not been spotted yet.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:34 PM   #64
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Foot View Post
I understand that playmates toys is not a collector/adult toy company, but if only they could do something like Mattel is doing with MOTU origins that would be great
If they still have moulds for them straight up re-releases of their most iconic figures would do not just the first '88 wave. Throw in some cult favourites and you've got a line with minimum expenses.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:38 PM   #65
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
If they still have moulds for them straight up re-releases of their most iconic figures would do not just the first '88 wave. Throw in some cult favourites and you've got a line.
If only Playmates could re-release Scratch, Hot Spot, Halfcourt, Sandstorm, Shogun Triceraton, and Shogun Shoate. That would be an excellent gift for both adult collectors and adolescents alike.

Playmates should definitely do a MOTU Origins-like line featuring highly articulated versions of the rarest characters from the original toyline, if the team cannot get around to re-releasing those figures.

Sadly, Playmates is stuck churning out reissues of the characters that everyone already has. It looks like they will be doing that for the rest of the century. Playmates is doing nothing to compete with Super7 and NECA. Playmates could even do cartoony versions of the rarest characters from the original toy line. What a missed opportunity!
Old 12-02-2020, 01:13 PM   #66
Galactus
Foot Elite

All that would depend on whether they still have the moulds for them. I wouldn't have faith that they'd have them for anything but the 'main' characters.

Honestly I'd start with the 'main' characters from each line '88' '03 and '12. Then some of the better known secondary characters from each line and some of the better known variants and taper of the new line with a rarities and cult favourites like Scratch etc.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:23 PM   #67
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

Not to be that guy, but they did re-release a few turtle variants a few years ago. Not sure what the response to that was, but they chose some odd variants, a couple of military turtles, Super Mike, skateboardin' Mike.

Not sure why they didn't do the Movie Star Turtles, or the Toon Turtles for heaven's sake. I keep hearing about this fabled fire that so many of the original molds were caught up in, but the only figures I've heard for sure that were affected were the 2007 movie figures.

The 2015 History of Leo set proved they have many of the molds from across the years of TMNT history. I agree with you all, let's get some of those well-loved figures out there!
Old 12-02-2020, 01:48 PM   #68
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
All that would depend on whether they still have the moulds for them. I wouldn't have faith that they'd have them for anything but the 'main' characters.

Honestly I'd start with the 'main' characters from each line '88' '03 and '12. Then some of the better known secondary characters from each line and some of the better known variants and taper of the new line with a rarities and cult favourites like Scratch etc.
The 2012 turtles are at Five Below for five bucks a pop. 2003 Leonardo was re-released for the History of Leonardo set in 2015. The main characters from the ‘88 line have been reissued since 1998.

Honestly, at this point, I would purchase custom resin figures of all of the hard-to-find characters from the original toyline. I know it is not the same as owning the actual figures, but there is better chance of having those in your hands than reissues of the rare figures from the 90s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachatello00 View Post
Not to be that guy, but they did re-release a few turtle variants a few years ago. Not sure what the response to that was, but they chose some odd variants, a couple of military turtles, Super Mike, skateboardin' Mike.

Not sure why they didn't do the Movie Star Turtles, or the Toon Turtles for heaven's sake. I keep hearing about this fabled fire that so many of the original molds were caught up in, but the only figures I've heard for sure that were affected were the 2007 movie figures.

The 2015 History of Leo set proved they have many of the molds from across the years of TMNT history. I agree with you all, let's get some of those well-loved figures out there!
Playmates makes too many poor choices in this century. I’m in the camp of people who believe that the reissues sold from 1993 to 1999 are as good as it gets for fans.

I hate to say it, but Scratch, Hot Spot, Sandstorm, Half Court, Shogun Triceraton, and Shogun Shoate are not casual fan favorites like even some of the turtle variants. Most people are not familiar with Hot Spot or Shogun Shoate like they are Scratch. There was a Medicom Bearbrick Scratch made a while back and a ton of YouTube videos on finding a complete Scratch. I believe there was even a mention of Scratch on the official Twitter page for TMNT. Scratch will go down in history as the rarest TMNT action figure. That’s ironic considering that there are many loose and carded Scratch figures on the Bay.

I think we will see more turtle variants with a few of the main characters sprinkled in with the turtle variants in the future for the new Seth Rogen film. I hope I’m wrong, but Playmates will continue selling characters that both adults and children want (not the hardcore fans).

Scalpers really ruined the experience of getting every basic assortment figure and non-turtle sub-wave figure of the original toyline for children of the 90s.

Last edited by mikey0; 12-02-2020 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-02-2020, 06:38 PM   #69
Don Leo Raphangelo
Mouser

Just got an email from Walmart informing me that my preorder has been delayed till next year.
Don Leo Raphangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:45 PM   #70
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Leo Raphangelo View Post
Just got an email from Walmart informing me that my preorder has been delayed till next year.

Same- says new date is 1/5/2021

Playmates couldnt even delivery before Xmas

Coro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:47 PM   #71
strawberryfields
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coro View Post
Same- says new date is 1/5/2021

Playmates couldnt even delivery before Xmas
Same here- pushed back almost a month. What a joke. Probably because they're making these things at a snails pace
strawberryfields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:07 AM   #72
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Walmart preorders are a crapshoot. I ordered the first wave of GI Joe Retro collection and Black Series Asoka back in July for September delivery. In early September I got an email telling me the GI Joes had been delayed until Oct 6. Oct 6 came and went with no shipping notice or figures, and no word at all about Asoka. Welp, two weeks ago one GI Joe shows up. Ok... Then the following week the other two show up. They each came in separate shipments, and I got shipping notice for just one of them. Meanwhile Asoka still hasn't shown up, though I did get shipping notice last week.

Really I guess I shouldn't be complaining because usually Walmart will just straight up cancel the orders. Good luck to you all.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:24 AM   #73
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
Walmart preorders are a crapshoot. I ordered the first wave of GI Joe Retro collection and Black Series Asoka back in July for September delivery. In early September I got an email telling me the GI Joes had been delayed until Oct 6. Oct 6 came and went with no shipping notice or figures, and no word at all about Asoka. Welp, two weeks ago one GI Joe shows up. Ok... Then the following week the other two show up. They each came in separate shipments, and I got shipping notice for just one of them. Meanwhile Asoka still hasn't shown up, though I did get shipping notice last week.

Really I guess I shouldn't be complaining because usually Walmart will just straight up cancel the orders. Good luck to you all.
I’m still waiting on one preorder for the real ghostbusters that has been delayed over months and months and I still see them at the store locally
Makes no sense
Old 12-25-2020, 04:25 PM   #74
Ric Rueger
New Recruit

It appears as if these are back in stock on Walmart.com
Old 12-27-2020, 10:53 AM   #75
Ric Rueger
New Recruit

Shipped ! Perhaps this set is in stores now. If you rearrange the heads and give them better weapons these Turtles are actually very nice and technically in scale with the recently released Neca Loot Crate Shredder .
Old 12-27-2020, 11:23 AM   #76
mikey0
Foot Elite

I wish Playmates had repainted reissues of the hard head basic turtles from the original Playmates toyline for this set. The basic Splinter and Shredder look seriously dated next to the 2014 Original Comic turtles. Better yet, Playmates should be reissuing rare characters from the original 1988 toyline in adult collector box sets. Playmates could make new sculpts of the molds lost in the fire. As great as Scratch was, a new Scratch in the same scale with the articulation of the Original Comics turtles would be even better.

Playmates ought to re-release characters that are actually in demand from adult collectors. The Movie Star TMNT box set is a step in the right direction. We’ll have to see where this goes. I have a feeling that the 2020s will be the time of adult collector box sets from Playmates. Let’s hope that Playmates makes even better themed sets in the future. There are so many possibilities! Most importantly, both old and new collectors of the reissues need the rarer characters from the 90s.
Old 12-27-2020, 01:37 PM   #77
tmntman
Mad Scientist

I got a shipping notice for the two sets I ordered. Expected to arrive on Tuesday.

Check out my site at http://www.tmnttoys.com/
or follow me on Twitter, @TMNTtoys
tmntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 01:03 AM   #78
TurtlesFan
Random Punk

Playmates is the company that started it all. They are the main reason we got the original animated series (to help sell toys). I am amazed that they are not able to put a better product out there for the collectors.
TurtlesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 11:45 AM   #79
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtlesFan View Post
Playmates is the company that started it all. They are the main reason we got the original animated series (to help sell toys). I am amazed that they are not able to put a better product out there for the collectors.
Different team in this century. When Playmates was starting out, their main competitors were Kenner, Toy Biz, Hasbro, and Mattel. Now, the output should be greater given that they are going up against Hasbro, Mattel, Figuarts, Hot Toys, NECA, and Super7. Instead, there are cheap looking Happy Meal toys in their toylines based on new TMNT cartoons and endless repaints of figures that adult collectors already have.

Fortunately, shellheads continue to support Playmates in this time, so there is the opportunity of getting reissues of the rarest characters in the future. The only problem is that Playmates has to sell turtle variants with the side characters. The turtle variants sunk the Classic Collection reissue line.
Old 12-28-2020, 11:54 AM   #80
funatic
Mad Scientist

Mine arrived today. Boxes slightly damaged.
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote