The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 02-27-2024, 01:23 PM   #181
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

So apparently the military is trying to kill Godzilla again, based on what is shown in the trailers.

How stupid and futile. Missile strikes feel like mosquito bites to these kaiju. Maybe that worked on Zilla from the 1998 film but not on Legendary Godzilla.
Old 02-27-2024, 02:54 PM   #182
XERO
Hybrid Theorist

To be fair, mosquito bites are still f*ckin' annoying.

"Travel at the speed of light... then hit the nitro!"
XERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 03:05 PM   #183
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by XERO View Post
To be fair, mosquito bites are still f*ckin' annoying.
True. No wonder Godzilla swats at the fighter jets.
Old 02-27-2024, 10:34 PM   #184
XERO
Hybrid Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
True. No wonder Godzilla swats at the fighter jets.
If he swats one of them down, does that count as Minus One? rimshot

"Travel at the speed of light... then hit the nitro!"

Last edited by XERO; 02-27-2024 at 10:41 PM.
XERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 11:01 PM   #185
Allio
Foot Elite

So created a concept for the idea if the sentai series “King-Ohger” was added to the Monsterverse

Spoiler:
King-Ohger in Monsterverse AU

So with the end of Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger I decided what it would be like if Super Sentai was part of Monsterverse, not Power Rangers, but Sentai. And so I thought it would be fun to make that Sentai being King-Ohger for its much more unique setting.

For this hypothetical concept, there will be some precedent to set up before hand. In this hypothetical Monsterverse, we have already introduced Ultraman and Gamera – this will in no way influence King-ohger’s inclusion, but since we are already taking in massive amount of fanstasy to make this concept into reality, might as well go all out.

I will refer to the characters by their King-Ohger names. While there is some precedent that names would be changed, it seems like it would be easier to keep everything clean by just referring to their original names.

While this post would be solely focusing on the King-Ohger stuff, I will go over some Monsterverse crossover including “set up” for the Kings in Prior MV movies. This is just so that the movie just doesn’t come out of nowhere in this universe, but I will keep the stuff contained to the universe of the franchise so there won’t be any reference to a “Gamera movie” outside of some generic stuff.

I will only go over just the first movie, and the first “Crossover” movie for this Cinematic universe plus some ideas for the King-Ohger sequel. I will also put out some ideas and concepts for endgame stuff, but that’s about it.

***Set Up***

Monarch Series – Set during a post-Godzilla vs Kong timeline, a researcher from Monarch discovers that there are ruins of what seems to be an ancient human civilization that had been wiped out a long time ago in hollow earth. Upon researching this lost civilization he learns of its demise was due to Dagded. This character will be the Racles stand in.

Mothra: Infestation – In this hypothetical movie, Mothra will team up with Battra to stop the Megaguirus Infestation. In this film, there would be several appearances of many insect type of Kaiju including Scylla and Kumonga. This could even be used to set up Legion for a Gamera movie. During the film, there are appearances of the Shugods: God Kumos #1 and #2, God Tentou Twins, and God Ant.

Monsterverse Crossover King-ohger stinger – During this film (let’s say “Destroy All Monsters”) a strange monarch character gets some strange screen time. At the end of the film, the narrator narrates the last bit of the film in regards to there being many mysteries still left to be discovered in “Hollow Earth” and that “History will soon repeat itself” and as it does, there is a panning shot of the ruins of an ancient civilization as we get a close up of what seems to be a sword in a stone. And the famous last words before the screen cuts to black “Or so the story goes.” The narrator in this case being obviously Monsterverse’s Jeremie who, as an immortal, has worked his way under Monarch.

And now we begin. King-Ohger.

**Basic Story**

The premise of the first film is simple. It adapts the first arc of the King-Ohger series. It also sets God Hopper, God Scorpion, and God Kabuto for the first post-king Monsterverse crossover. This film will also use elements from the “Heaven’s Adventure” film. Character story is going to shrewed more closer to the first pacific Rim film, rather than the 2017 YA Power Rangers film. This will allow for the characters to still be more exaggerated and fit the tone that the Monsterverse seems to be going for now. Keeping with the traditional non-traditional aspects of King-ohger, the team won’t necessarily be a full team, but will soon be united under the “King of Kings” Titan “Kingojer”.

In this “Monsterverse” Au, the main team of Rangers are just regular people that get brought into Hollow Earth as they are brought into ruins of ancient human civilization that lived there a long time ago. These civilizations are this universe version of Shuggodam, Ishabana, Gokkun, Toufu, N’kosopa. The characters are forced the face the trials of the kings and their own shadows in order to take on the mantels of the kings if the world is to survive the coming of an Omega (Dagded) that once destroyed Hollow Earth’s humanity.

Meanwhile, even beneath hollow earth (I know, right? *Can we get much deeper\~*) there is an awakening of the Bugnarok as Desnarok wants to destroy the civilization above. We see the familiar Monarch character watching from afar, Spider Kumonos wont be a thing until the sequel.

As each of the king’s overcome their trials, their Corresponding shuggods appear before them as they each pull the swords. Each Shuggod bows as they accept the new kings. Meanwhile the Bugnarok rise from the ground and attacks the kings, leading to their first transformation. Last is “Gira” as he faces his trial. Then he is finally able to become king as Kuwagata chooses him and clear it.

Then as for final battle, I’m stuck on whether or not it would be a regular Bugnarok monster, or Desnarok himself. In King-ohger, he is the 8th, everytime he is destroyed in the Monsterverse, what remains may be able to regenerate into the next generation of Desnarok (so you get 7th, 8th, 9th, etc). Until he is ultimately wiped out by Dagdud.

The final battle explodes out of hollow earth and into the city above, getting scenes very reminiscent of Episode 2 of King-ohger. Also get scenes of Guardian Rolling, and Guardian Snail. With the apparent defeat of Bugnarok, the Kings are then surrounded by Monarch Soldiers, leading into the next big Monsterverse crossover.

Mid credits: You have a scene of the Monarch researcher, Racles, looking into the ruins in regard to lost Shuggods: Hopper, Kabuto, and Scorpion.

Post credit scene: Desnarok is preparing for the for the massive attack around the world.

Now we get to the characters. Honestly all the characters stay intact. It pretty much .

Okay. I just found out we have a limit
Old 02-28-2024, 11:02 PM   #186
Allio
Foot Elite

Part 2

Spoiler:

**Red**

Playing into Drama club aspect, Gira here is definite for the dramatic flair. While he doesn’t attend college, where the Kugane stand-in does, he is invited at the beginning of the film to see a presentation about Hollow Earth and the theories of ancient civilizations such as Atlantis. During the presentation, he does fall asleep and have dreams of the five kingdoms in their prime. The dream is so surreal, it is like he was there. There is still connection to Dugded, though wouldn’t be confirmed until the third \*non-crossover\* film. Is an empath towards the shuggods

The King’s Trial: Trial of the Throne. Trial of the Throne is more or less the same as the Heaven’s Adventure film, where here Gira is face-to-face with the original King of Shuggodam, Reiniol, represented as an old grudge in the monstrous “Burial Arms” form. As an empath, he is able to connect toward’s Reiniol’s spirit, witnessing the loss of everyone he loved, God Kuwagata chooses Gira and allows him to transform to cut down Reiniol’s Burial Arms, cutting his chains to the earth, and allowing him to pass on.

**Blue**

“Yanma” is still the jock/nerd of the group. As far as characteristics are concerned, he doesn’t change much. Of each of these modern kings, he is the ones that visits the ruins of his country the most as he wants to study the seemingly advance technology of old. And as someone who doesn’t have a family, he has no one waiting for him at home.

King’s Trial: Trial of the Abandoned (?) This one is a bit tricky as in the series proper, the only thing we know is that the previous king of N’kosopa had abandoned the country after the Fury of the Gods. Perhaps his own trial stems from his own abandonment, and how “pushing” his own feelings down isn’t actually overcoming the trauma. This area needs work.

**Yellow**

“Hymeno” is a doctor in training. With her own trauma of her mother dying when she was younger.

King’s Trial: Trial of Death\*. Upon arriving in the ruins of Ishabana, “Hymeno” is welcomed by not its beauty but what remains of its death. Corpses of the fury of the Gods (both Cicadas, as well as other titans) and once where life resided was now the undead. In her trial, Hymeno has to face not only the corpses of those that lived all those years ago, but also the remnants of her loved ones.

**Purple**

“Rita” is a bit different than her sentai counterpart. The lone survivor of an incident that cost her her right eye, Rita is in mind set where she has no one to blame for her misfortune. Upon arriving in Gokkan, she is nearly frozen to death in the snow. It leaves her face half frozen. Arriving in the ruins of the castle, unlike other places, it almost seems like the entire place is frozen in time.

King’s Trial: Trial of the Guilty\*. In a Silent Hill esque twist, Rita finds herself being hunted by a Yeti-type creature. She has to face her own judgement as she confronts her own Survivors Guilt. Upon facing judgement on herself, the frozen face shatters leaving an eye of ice.

**Black**

“Kaguragi” Open minded, never really knowing what goes on in his mind. He seems to be the one to backstab another but is willing to do anything for his friends and family. Someone that is close to the “Racles” stand in.

King’s Trial: The Trial of Flames\*, Coming into Toufu, he is welcomed by what feels like Hell’s flames as he meets the queen that seems to be burning in her own hell. Has relations to \[Racles\], at this time unknown if they would be brothers, or Suzume would be included in the film or if her inclusion would inflate an already large cast of characters.

\*The trials of Death, Guilty, and Flames are all set up that hints towards The Fury of the Gods as well as Grodi (as well as the other jesters) as “The Fury of the Gods” would be one of the titles for a sequel film.

**First “Monsterverse Crossover event”**

Picking up where the King-ohger film left off, the Monarch Soldiers bring the rangers for investigation. Some interactions include \[Yanma\] basically not wanting to deal with Monarch’s authority, and even has learned to escape thanks to remnant N’kosopa technology he has taken.\[Kaguragi\] knew already that \[Racles\] was a Monarch researcher, but he is playing dumb as \[Racles is having his plan go into fruition on awaken the three great \[Shuggods\]. \[Jeremie\] is working in the background to make sure these new kings are able to escape.

Meanwhile the A-plot of the film is that of Desnarok creating the cocoons around the world to wipe out the surface dwellers. This not only leads to Monarch having to finally put their trust in these “King-Ohger” but also as King-Ohger, Godzilla, Gamera, Ultraman, and Kong have to stand together to face the infestation.

Its revealed that \[Racles\] has betrayed monarch and left to awaken and control the three great shuggods. \[Gira\] confronts him and \[Racles\] reveals his plan to take control of the three shuggods to take control of King-ohger and use it as a hivemind to fully control all titans \[to reveal later to be fully revealed to have all titans fight off Dugded\]. \[Gira\] and \[Racles\] fights which awakens the three gods, but they then team up with the titans defending the earth to beat the infestation of Bugnarok. \[Gira\] is seemingly defeated in their fight.

Post credits does include \[Jeremie\] saving \[Gira’s\] life, saying that “some stories are bound to repeat themselves.

**Ideas and concepts for sequels**

Second film would be would be Jeremie focused as it reveals that he was alive during the age of the old civilization. \[Yanma\] is even show to be trying to bring N’kosopa back online and recreate the kingdom (This would lead into the power up in later films.\] as mentioned before, Grodi would be in a film with the subtitle “The Fury of the Gods” where Kings and Monarch has to stop the destruction that once wiped out the ancient civilization.

The Dugded story line would be the big “Infinity War” big event two parter where he \[an Omega Class\] and his Jesters \[Sigma class\] come to wipe out humanity and the titans
Old 03-06-2024, 08:55 PM   #187
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

I never thought I’d see the day when Kong would jump on top of Godzilla and ride on his back.

Old 03-07-2024, 11:28 AM   #188
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

This does look really "surface level cool" but I have absolutely no confidence this won't be another vacuous, soulless experience like GvK.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 03:18 PM   #189
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
I never thought I’d see the day when Kong would jump on top of Godzilla and ride on his back.

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca88...00CW5hDwxs4W1o
And if Kong was the size he was in the original movie, that might have made sense.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 03:59 PM   #190
Allio
Foot Elite

Just saw the movie and the best way I can explain it is that it is simply… simple. Not a bad thing, but not necessarily something to blow your mind. The story is simple, the characters are simple so nothing is really mind blowing. Now, this is the film that allows for the most humanization of Kong, but also Godzilla feels more like a add on than anything (which seems to be that was the plan that this film was going to be “The Son of Kong”.)

I can see this film being 50/50 for most
Old 03-29-2024, 02:17 PM   #191
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

I enjoyed it, is it so wrong I’d love to see them make a Primal Rage movie?
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 01:08 PM   #192
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Saw it and enjoyed it. Probably moreso than the previous two "Monsterverse" flicks. I thought this movie made the good decision to only have one "human characters" side-story focused on only four main characters, unlike the previous films which had 2 or 3 (or more) groups of people doing distinct missions and cutting back and forth between them. Kong really does carry most of the movie and he's well animated with face and body expressions. Godzilla's narrative trajectory isn't ever truly ignored, although it's clear the movie is simply hyping him up for a final battle... it's almost like he's the Son Goku role, preparing for a big battle while the other characters drive the runtime until he's ready.

Really glad this movie had a great weekend at the box office. Where the Monsterverse series goes from here is really hard to say... I assume space aliens will be involved and maybe more mecha versions of kaiju.

Spoiler:
My only big complaint is that Skar (kept think it was pronounced Ska'ar in the film) never feels like a truly earned global threat by himself, nor is his significance as the alpha ape of Hollow Earth detailed to my satisfaction. You would think that if he treats the other ape titans so badly, there's really no reason why they couldn't overwhelm him with sheer numbers, even if he does have poor Shimo by the tail.

A minor critique is that it feels like this movie retcons Mothra's involvement in G:King of the Monsters (2019), but seems to make slightly better use of the character, so it's somewhat appreciated. Still, it feels like the creatives really pick and choose from the established lore as it suits their fancy. "Mothra" gets built up as a major force of nature not because the cinematic universe's own lore demands it but because she's got a name with some mainstream recognizability. Somehow Mothra's revival is now tied to descendants of the former indigenous tribe of Skull Island instead of the traditional Infant Island lore and the twin fairies. Also, I felt like the movie somehow tried to give her a more explicitly feminine redesign that I don't remember from the previous film, almost as if she now has an hourglass figure and curiously sexy legs.

Apparently, the tie-in novelization has some interesting lore reveals that go into more detail about the Monsterverse's canon. Might be worth picking up for fans!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 04-02-2024 at 01:27 PM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 02:17 PM   #193
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

My stepdad and I went to go see it last night and we enjoyed it. I found myself laughing several times throughout the whole film.

My favorite parts:

Spoiler:
Godzilla roaring at a helicopter that got too close, like “Get outta my face yo!”

Skar King laughing at Kong’s fake tooth, only for him to lose a tooth himself after Kong punches him in the face later on. Karma!

Godzilla and Kong making their grand entrance in Hollow Earth and charging toward Skar and Shimo.

Kong smirking at Godzilla after smashing the frozen Skar into little pieces, almost as if to say, “See what I just did, bro? Cool right?”
Old 04-03-2024, 04:40 AM   #194
drgon78
Mad Scientist

I saw it Monday, enjoyed it, hope it makes enough money we will get more.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 02:16 PM   #195
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I just got home from seeing the film. It was good with fewer humans and something of a plot with returning characters, something unusual for a Godzilla film. However, I felt like I was being addressed when Hayes did not recognize Dr. Andrews. I didn't either with a different hair color and much shorter haircut.

Also, when the animals are communicating if there could be subtitles to give more substance. I feel like it would help the audience with the plot and the casual audience understanding of what is going on.

Overall, however I liked it.
Old 04-03-2024, 02:45 PM   #196
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Did anyone that hated/strongly disliked GvK end up really liking this one?
Old 04-03-2024, 04:57 PM   #197
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Did anyone that hated/strongly disliked GvK end up really liking this one?
These aren't without their flaws, but honestly I don't know how anyone could hate them. They are a ton of fun, the VFX are generally great and you even have pretty good add-on content with the Monarch show.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 05:36 PM   #198
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
These aren't without their flaws, but honestly I don't know how anyone could hate them. They are a ton of fun, the VFX are generally great and you even have pretty good add-on content with the Monarch show.
I was OK with GvK for the most part, in spite of its silliness. By that point, I was primed for it. But Godzilla: KotM, man, I think I did hate that one. It's tone and camp and silliness and wacky technology just yanked me out of the movie and was such a marked regression from what the 2014 movie was like. You can tiptoe into a bit of "silly" without BEING silly, like Skull Island was able to do for the most part.
Old 04-04-2024, 12:57 PM   #199
neatoman
Emperor

You know, I don't think I would have said I wanted to see a movie in which King Kong literally goes to the dentist, takes a shower because he feels gross, uses a baby orangutan as a club to fight other apes, bonds with said baby despite this and betrayal, a red gibbon making said other apes slaves in mines and does the "pointing soyjak" thing at Kong's denture, enslaves an ice-ankylosaur, Godzilla killing another monster to squat in its radiation chamber and several important landmarks get destroyed, not because it's meant to showcase the horror of what is happening (even though it includes shots of people running away in terror) but for spectacle.

... And I still wouldn't. This might be the most idiotic movie to feature either Godzilla or King Kong since the 70's. I haven't seen King Kong Lives so maybe I'm wrong about that, but I'm pretty sure not even Godzilla Final Wars is this dumb.

It's gonna be kind of nice when King Kong Goes public domain in 5 years, then nobody can abuse an exclusivity deal like this anymore.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 01:10 PM   #200
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
This might be the most idiotic movie to feature either Godzilla or King Kong since the 70's.