The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-21-2021, 01:09 AM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

HBO Max Developing 'Legion of Superheroes' TV Show With Brian Michael Bendis

Brian Michael Bendis has recently revealed in his newsletter that HBO Max have commissioned him to develop and write a Legion of Superheroes series which will be distinctly more 'adult', the series will be based off of the most recent run of comics that Bendis and Ryan Sook worked on.

https://bleedingcool.com/tv/hbo-max-...eroes-tv-show/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 09:03 AM   #2
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Interesting choice, cartoon Legion of Superheroes with Young Superman is underrated, I don't see how this can be maccepted though, it's a silly concept to grasp and hard to market.not to mention the saturation of DC shows.

Ironic how HBO max has more DC shows than the DC streaming service ever did, lol what where they thinking with that service, no wonder it died.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 09:41 AM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Legion of Super-Heroes has consistently been failing and rebooting over and over for 50 years now in the comics... why not try it on TV, to boot?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 11:17 AM   #4
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post

Ironic how HBO max has more DC shows than the DC streaming service ever did, lol what where they thinking with that service, no wonder it died.
That's why I never got any of these new services, especially with the crazies being like 'OMG you simply MUST get this service'. No thanks. I barely watch TV as is, and streaming to me, is basically TV. I'm just booting up a service rather than changing a channel.

I only ever watch AEW on TV, and maybe stuff on Hulu or any free app that Roku comes with. I never cared about all these new streaming services.

Idk, there's a certain things that comes with TV. AEW is on Wednesdays and Fridays, I feel more of a need to plan around it, to watch it and not miss it cause if it's gone it's gone.

With streaming services you can pull up most shows on demand, so you can do it whenever you want. For me though that 'whenever' never comes. The fact that in the back of your mind you know you can always watch it 'tomorrow' makes it less urgent so my ability to care goes down, but something that's more 'watch it now or it's gone', that's different. There's more of a sense of urgency to not miss it. So at least in my case, the less streaming services the better.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 01:47 AM   #5
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Legion of Super-Heroes has consistently been failing and rebooting over and over for 50 years now in the comics... why not try it on TV, to boot?
I have nothing against the property BUT at the same time I don't know a single person who's genuinely "a fan" of it except people who work in comics, and so I often wonder why and how it's endured for so long. Considering it has, like... no audience, and really it's hard to find evidence that it ever did.

It's like, I know it used to sell really well to young kids, back when comics were a dime and then a quarter and every single comic book sold millions of copies just based on how they were cheap filler entertainment... but once prices went up and actual standards started being applied to the writing and art in comic books, the Legion never seemed to find an audience after that.

I mean, it made sense as a story - or even a series of stories - aimed at young kids, based on the initial premise: "What if a bunch of super-powered kids formed their own little Justice League?" Except it's been done since then a hundred times in ways that weren't so goofy, and with characters that didn't have dumb sh*t like "Lad" and "Lass" in their codenames. The Legion sort of made sense in a pre-Teen Titans, Pre-X-Men era, as a way to give kids a few heroes that they could theoretically relate to better, but I'd argue that after Titans and X-Men there just isn't really any POINT to the Legion anymore. Those books/characters did the exact same thing except less-dumb.

I guess the Legion does have the hook of being from the far future, thus giving a glimpse at what the future of the DCU could look like, but none of that matters one bit in a Multiverse era where "all timelines count" and "everything is canon SOMEwhere." Their existence arguably hurts the DCU more than it helps, considering their own history is so fractured between about a dozen disparate timelines and reboots at this point. It's even become something of a running gag in the books, at times, how the Legion doesn't know which timelines they are actually from or belong in, anymore. It's EXACTLY the type of stuff people serve up when they say, "THIS HERE is exactly why I don't read comic books, This Right Here specifically." It's too confusing for most people. LoSH mythology is SO dense, and a lot of it is heavily rooted in stories that were once "hard canon" but now are iffy or "never happened", so it all inevitably just becomes a confusing mess, made worse by every single attempt to "fix" it.

Honestly, I've read a few Legion stories that were good, or I should say, stories that had the Legion IN them. The stuff Geoff Johns did with them wasn't bad, specifically in his Superman run and then in that Final Crisis tie-in mini-series (that ended up having pretty much ZERO to do with Final Crisis but was still rather important in the big picture, at least). That mini-series, in particular, was very well-done and I think would work okay even with readers who don't know the Legion well, which is no easy task with LoSH stuff.

I'unno. Like I said, I've nothing against the brand, specifically, I just don't get it I guess. And for me it's far from the most interesting DC stuff. I confess, ever since I saw "Back to the Future III" as a kid, I don't much care for stories that are entirely based on "what's gonna happen in The Future", because any or all of it can be changed by a stiff breeze, therefore, who cares? It's all hypotheticals, "what if?" stories by default. Some fun to be had, sure, but I don't understand why it's such a big, grand "foundational" thing over at DC. Does anyone on Earth outside of DC Editorial, Mark Waid and Geoff Johns REALLY care about the Legion? Ehhhhhh... I doubt it.

In any case, Bendis is terrible, soooooo nope! Probably won't care to watch it.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote