The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 05:35 AM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

COPS Cancelled

Quote:
American police series Cops has officially been cancelled after 32 seasons by Paramount Network, as protests against police continue in the US and around the world.

The long-running reality series followed officers on patrol, responding to emergency calls and conducting sting operations among other tasks, often culminating in actual arrests.

However, the show has faced criticism in recent years for how it glorifies force used by police and disproportionately targets certain groups of suspects, including African-American men and those from disadvantaged backgrounds.

A recent podcast titled Running From Cops explored how some subjects were coerced into signing releases for the show and revealed that crew members have assisted police on occasion.

As protests against racism and police brutality continue across the globe, sparked by the death of George Floyd and many others before him, Cops was pulled from schedules at the beginning of the month and has now been officially cancelled.

The show's 33rd season had been expected to premiere next week, but that will no longer go ahead.

At the time of its cancellation, Cops was one of the longest running shows on American television, debuting in 1989 on FOX, where it aired for 24 years, before moving to Spike TV in 2013 (now known as Paramount Network).
Whatcha gonan do?

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/2020...how-cancelled/
Old 06-10-2020, 06:16 AM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

I don't get the long term appeal of this show, most of it is just police busting junkies and speeders. I get that the reality show format can be limiting but it is really repetitive.
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 06-10-2020 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:07 AM   #3
Sumac
Banned

Idiots. Spineless idiots.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:18 AM   #4
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
It's about time. That show hasn't been interesting or even relevant in years. As neatoman said, it's mostly arresting junkies, speeders, or drunk drivers. A few break-ins, and domestic disturbances. Boring crap.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
Old 06-10-2020, 07:53 AM   #5
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

o.O I wasn't aware that show even still existed. Thought it was gone long ago. lol

Eh, Live PD is kind of its natural (and better) successor anyway. (And hope that one does stick around, even if it takes a break in light of the present situation. That one so often shows the large amount of good many hard working police men and women do every day.)
Old 06-10-2020, 09:32 AM   #6
oldmanwinters
Overlord

First I'd heard SpikeTV was no longer a thing.

I still remember when it was TNN (The Nashville Network).

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
Old 06-10-2020, 10:44 AM   #7
drgon78
Mad Scientist

I thought this show ended years ago.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:49 AM   #8
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgon78 View Post
I thought this show ended years ago.
Yeah, same. This feels like the first time I'm hearing about it in like fifteen or more years.
Old 06-10-2020, 06:21 PM   #9
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Shock it lasted this long. I didn't even know it was still airing.

Not going to get into the politics of why it was cancel though.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:43 PM   #10
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Well, never mind what I said about Live PD, it's canceled too.

I hope it might come back someday, I always thought it helped bring attention to some of the good ones and provide a counter the negativity... Not a good time to lose that counter balance.
Old 06-10-2020, 11:15 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Obviously ridiculous. And this is probably the most important time ever for COPS to be on the air... showing dumb people that these are, in fact, humans and not racist attack dogs.

Though... as others said, I wasn't even sure it was still on the air. I don't watch TV, though, really.
Old 06-10-2020, 11:33 PM   #12
Leo656
The Franchise

Like many, I was aware it was still on in reruns but I had no idea they were still making new ones.

I generally hate cops and find them to be useless at best. I can't off the top of my head recall a single situation in my life where calling the cops made things any better, and a lot of times where getting them involved made things a lot worse.

BUT. They're all that keeps crackheads and junkies away from people like me. So they're definitely a "necessary evil". But I can't say I have much good to say about them as a whole. They're generally pretty impotent, although how much of that has to do with overly-compassionate lawmakers who give more rights to criminals than to their victims is worth a discussion.

Which is not at all to say that I support the chaos and nonsense going on right now, because I don't. I'm not a fan of cops, but I'm MUCH less a fan of crackheads and terrorist groups masquerading as humanitarian ambassadors. Take that for what it's worth.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Old 06-11-2020, 10:28 AM   #13
ABrown
Banned

This has gotten so absolutely ridiculous, it makes me sick. People are even talking about canceling the Nick Jr. show Paw Patrol: (https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/10/a...onal-cops.html), as one of the puppies is a police officer. Police as a whole are NOT BAD GUYS. EVERY occupation out there has a few bad apples. I'll bet you there's racist fireman out there. So what should we do, disband all fire departments? There's probably racist doctors out there. How about we shut down all the hospitals.

EDIT: And yes, I get that most of the people that are calling for its cancellation are joking. But that still doesn't make it any less sad that our society has gotten to the point where people are even joking about its cancellation.

Last edited by ABrown; 06-11-2020 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:34 AM   #14
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Paw Patrol even? This is absurd. I am so sick and tired of this stupid generalized black and white thinking so many people seem to be stuck on, and they absolutely do it from all sides. Maybe as usual it's fewer than it seems and the ones doing it are only a vocal minority, I dunno, but even if so they shouldn't be calling the shots.

Would be interesting to see a study that compares brain scans of people who do it (be it over the police, a skin color, a political leaning, etc) and those who don't and see if there is any notable difference. Maybe it helped our ancestors not get eaten by sabre-tooths and made sense to assume no British Red Coat was an ally, but for the most part that isn't the world we live in anymore, and certainly not within in our own country and people need to quit applying that thinking where it doesn't make sense and only makes them look like haters and simpletons.

#NotAllEveryone
Old 06-11-2020, 08:14 PM   #15
AquaParade
Banned

I can see the entertainment value but this show always made me sad deep inside.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:05 PM   #16
ChosenOne
Banned

What's next, Blue Bloods?

Oh god, Blue Bloods is next, isn't it...?
Old 06-11-2020, 11:19 PM   #17
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

I am pretty sure the country of Chaz would be happy.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:13 AM   #18
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Ugh.... figures it was gonna happen.

Right now the whole 'policeman bad' thing is such a strong issue, everyone is hellbent on how bad and evil 'all' policemen are to push their 'defund the police' narrative. Right now saying anything positive about the police is a one-way ticket to getting cancelled and having the social media hate mob target your ass. Anything that goes against the 'all cops bad' narrative is seen as bad as the racists cops themselves.

Even for me, it's tough to talk about it too openly. I'm worried about a country without any legit law enforcement, but I can't push the issue too much since I have a lot of law-abiding friends that have had nothing but negative experiences with police to speak of and they'd also see me as a traitor.

Kinda like what Leo said, for most people, calling the police usually makes things worse.

One thing I hate about **** like this is how everyone is so into revisionist history. Pretending Song of the South never happened. Going back and quietly erasing Wolverine smoking cigars from past media. It wouldn't surprise me if they now want to start going back and silently 'deleting' any show that shows the police in a positive light.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 06-12-2020, 02:16 AM   #19
Sumac
Banned

Do leftards think it will help to unite the nation or to win?
I have a feeling they just opening a pathway to the abyss, which will delete them.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:07 AM   #20
neatoman
Emperor

I took a look into what defunding the police intends to accomplish. Appearently it's to relocate the funds into social programs that combat poverty and other underlying factors behind poverty. While it's certainly a good idea to prevent crime by trying to make sure nobody needs to turn to a life of crime in the first place, cutting the budget of law enforcement while that process is going on seems like a bad idea considering crime won't get reduced over night. Seems like a better idea to reduce crime first and then reducing the police budget. Why combining measures to prevent brutality and corruption with social programs isn't an option is something I don't understand, does the police really suck up that many taxes?

And if anyone argues for the complete abolition of the police... Do I really have to explain why law enforcement is necessary, regardless of how peaceful a society is?

Spoiler:
I still don't care if the boring reality show gets canned.
Hahahaha!
Closed Thread