The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 03-07-2024, 09:11 PM   #1
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Akira Toriyama- creator of Dragonball and Dr. Slump passed away

Random sucker punch out of nowhere. Akira Toriyama passed away at age 68, March 1st but it was just revealed today. As you know, he created Dragonball, Dr. Slump and other series and also did the character designs for the Chrono Trigger series.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 09:34 PM   #2
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Dragonball Z was a huge part of my childhood. I remember my brother and I watching Gohan defeat Cell and jumping out of our seats in joy as though we were watching a football game. Such great memories.

Rest In Peace, Toriyama-sama

Last edited by Cowabung-Gal; 03-07-2024 at 11:20 PM.
Cowabung-Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 02:03 AM   #3
Barkworm
Super Moderator

I wasn‘t a fan of a lot of his work but he was a legend. His influence on the manga industry was out of this world.
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 04:56 AM   #4
Anarchistguy
Mad Scientist

Location: Canada (This country is too peaceful, Something's up...)
The only other news that would shock me as much would be if Eastman or Laird passed away...

My goodness...I always dreaded the day this would happen and now, the nightmare came true...

RIP, good sir...

"When my time comes, I wanna be buried face down, so those who don't like me can kiss my ass!"

Last edited by Anarchistguy; 03-08-2024 at 07:35 AM.
Anarchistguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 05:27 AM   #5
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Thankyou for an incredible journey Akira. May the sagas now never end.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 05:38 AM   #6
BornAgain
Foot Soldier

DBZ took me by storm as a kid. Totally fell in love and made it my main thing for a few years and had a friendship essentially based on it. I have to thank Akira Toriyama for the endless inspiration to my imagination. I’ll always love Dragon Ball.

Last edited by BornAgain; 03-08-2024 at 05:46 PM.
BornAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 06:14 AM   #7
neatoman
Emperor

Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 07:49 AM   #8
tmntpower1988
Stone Warrior

RIP Akira Toriyama Thanks for the years of fun with Dragon Ball Z.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
Dragonball Z was a huge part of my childhood. I remember my brother and I watching Gohan defeat Cell and jumping out of our seats in joy as though we were watching a football game. Such great memories.

Rest In Peace, Toriyama-sama
Gohan's Super Saiyan 2 transformation was amazing. I must get round to watching all the episodes again. Felt like Dragon Ball Z started going downhill a bit with the Buu saga but it still had it's moments. Wasn't a fan of Majin Buu but liked Super Buu though and Kid Buu was a bit nuts. After Kid Buu blows up Earth, regenerates and then when he goes looking Goku and Vegeta, seaching for warriors with high power levels on the different planets he just starts blowing them up laughing his head off.
tmntpower1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 09:38 AM   #9
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I was fortunate enough to have been living in Mexico during peak Dragonball. While in the US, DBZ was this random 'wtf am I looking at' kind of 'Japanimation' show for the kiddies not used to anime storytelling, in Mexico DBZ was the continuation of a beloved series and beloved characters. While DBZ really did propel the series to almost religious status in Mexico, Goku was still a rather well-known and beloved character before the first episode of Z ever aired over there. When Dragonball ended we thought that was it, even though thanks to the internet we saw images of Goku with blonde hair for some reason and other characters we didn't know. I think the entire country flipped their **** the day that first ad aired that showed that Goku's adventures were going to continue with a 'new' show called Z. It's one of those 'you just had to be there' kind of moments and see if from the perspective of someone living in Mexico at the time.

Rest in Peace Toriyama. At least he accomplished three things he wanted, among many others I'm sure.

1- He got to finish his original story. Dragonball ended with the Buu Saga. Regardless what people think of GT, Super or even Daima, he did conclude his original story.

2- He made new content that went beyond Dragonball Evolution. He was so disappointed with that movie, it actually made him sought out to make Battle of Gods just so that if the series truly ends, Evolution wouldn't be the last memory on people's minds. Regardless what people might think of Super Saiyan Blue, Ultra Instinct and the 4 DBZ/Super movies released in theaters in recent years, they were way better than Chatwin Goku.

3- He went out working on something he was passionate about. Not sure how Daima was going to play out but after a lot of Dragonball burnout, he sure seemed excited and passionate about that project.

I'll never forget seeing the new episodes on TV back then, hitting the theaters to see the movies with friends, the videogames, the action figures, collecting the manga and even shaving my head a few times to cosplay as Kuririn. You inspired so many to create their own long-running action packed series and franchises. The KameHame Ha will forever be referenced and homaged for years to come. Characters like Goku, Vegeta, Freeza and Cell will remain in public memory for decades to come and beyond.

Rest in Peace, Akira Toriyama.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 03-08-2024, 09:45 AM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

And like all of Dragon Quest.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 10:29 AM   #11
XERO
Hybrid Theorist

Not how I wanted to spend my birthday... mourning.

The Dragon Ball series practically changed my life and introduced me into the world of anime. Rest in peace, legend.

"Travel at the speed of light... then hit the nitro!"
XERO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 11:58 AM   #12
IMJ
Emperor

1st, it's good to see you back after your wind-down break, Coola.

As for Akira, this is ashame. It feels early to die at 69. I only recently had my first real experiences with Dragonball in animation, but after watching one fairly decent pick from the franchise I can say that I understand why it is special and fun and ongoing for people who love it.

He created something neat.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 01:09 PM   #13
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
And like all of Dragon Quest.
Which makes wonder, who'll be the new character designer? Koji Inada maybe?
Hahahaha!
Old 03-08-2024, 03:20 PM   #14
CyberCubed
Overlord

I first saw the news all over twitter, reddit, etc. A whole bunch of other manga artists, videogame developers, voice actors, etc. are all posting their tributes on twitter.

Akira Toriyama was basically the Stan Lee of Japan. He's probably the biggest influence of Japanese manga/anime and Dragon Ball in particular influenced almost the entire medium that came after it. Funnily enough Dragon Ball started in 1983/1984 which is the exact same time Peter Laird/Kevin Eastman created TMNT in the west, so in some ways Dragon Ball was as huge in Japan as TMNT was in the US. at literally the exact same time.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 05:12 PM   #15
hypered1
Mad Scientist

With a legacy as vast and as far reaching as his, he will never be forgotten and we'll always treasure the memories we gained thanks to him.
Old 03-08-2024, 07:51 PM   #16
Mad Dog McMutt
Hench Mutant

I bet Akira is already on Snake Way and on his way to see King Kai.
Mad Dog McMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 06:03 AM   #17
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog McMutt View Post
I bet Akira is already on Snake Way and on his way to see King Kai.
Hahahaha!
Old 03-09-2024, 10:11 AM   #18
CyberCubed
Overlord

This one got me:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dragonballs..._toriyama_the/
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 07:27 PM   #19
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Toriyama’s final contribution to Dragon Ball:

In the original draft for chapter 103 of Dragon Ball Super, illustrator Toyotarou drew the last scene of Piccolo following Goku, Gohan, and Pan with his back to the audience and fading into the distance. But Toriyama edited it with Piccolo turning to Pan’s teacher (and the audience) and waving goodbye before flying off.

Toriyama passed away after that.

Last edited by Cowabung-Gal; 04-17-2024 at 10:02 AM.
Cowabung-Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 07:58 PM   #20
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
Toriyama’s final contribution to Dragon Ball:

https://scontent.fjbr1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...pw&oe=661FC8EF

In the original draft for chapter 103 of Dragon Ball Super, illustrator Toyotarou drew the last scene of Piccolo following Goku, Gohan, and Pan with his back to the audience and fading into the distance. But Toriyama edited it with Piccolo turning to Pan’s teacher (and the audience) and waving goodbye before flying off.

Toriyama passed away after that.

https://qph.cf2.quoracdn.net/main-qi...7c8b50458ec-lq
This hits hard on several levels when you consider that Piccolo was always Toriyama's favorite character.