The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-22-2018, 05:30 AM   #61
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Wait, did I miss something, why isn'y Billy Batson turning into Captain Marvel? Why is he like a separate character?
Eh... what? He is and he did. Watch the trailer again. The friend of Billy's who I'm assuming is Freddie is Captain Marvel Jr. in the comics is the one screwing with him.

Separate thing: why is New Line making a WB movie? What's going on here? This would be like Disney outsourcing a Wonder Woman movie to Universal or something. Are they that scared of failure after JL?

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 07-22-2018 at 05:43 AM.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:03 AM   #62
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Separate thing: why is New Line making a WB movie? What's going on here? This would be like Disney outsourcing a Wonder Woman movie to Universal or something. Are they that scared of failure after JL?
Isn't New Line a subsidiary of Warners? Like Platinum Dunes and Paramount?

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:34 PM   #63
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Spoiler:

If you'll remember, New Line distributed the 1990s TMNT films, and WB prints the current blu ray set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:30 PM   #64
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Never knew that. Huh. I guess I'm just wondering then... why the different facade, then?
Old 07-23-2018, 11:39 PM   #65
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
How serious can you take a kid who turns into a grown up superhero by yelling out SHAZAM?
Well there's this

Granted, it's a drastically different tone than this, but all things considered, a child becoming an adult superhero with a single word is going to lead to the unpleasant situations. I'm not even sure any of the Robins were this young when they started working with Batman (correct me if I'm wrong), but they at least had minuscule grounding in what it meant to do what they did. Billy is very likely to learn the hard way that not every situation is going to be like stopping a corner store robbery by throwing the perpetrators out the window.

Also I am so confused by the Captain Marvel thing. Do both DC and Marvel have their own Captain Marvels???
Old 07-23-2018, 11:51 PM   #66
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Well there's this

Granted, it's a drastically different tone than this, but all things considered, a child becoming an adult superhero with a single word is going to lead to the unpleasant situations. I'm not even sure any of the Robins were this young when they started working with Batman (correct me if I'm wrong), but they at least had minuscule grounding in what it meant to do what they did. Billy is very likely to learn the hard way that not every situation is going to be like stopping a corner store robbery by throwing the perpetrators out the window.

Also I am so confused by the Captain Marvel thing. Do both DC and Marvel have their own Captain Marvels???
DC used to call Shazam Captain Marvel. But they stopped writing comics for a bit. Than Marvel got the rights to Captain Marvel for media and comics so DC Couldn't call him that anymore. So now he is Shazam
Old 07-24-2018, 12:02 AM   #67
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
DC used to call Shazam Captain Marvel. But they stopped writing comics for a bit. Than Marvel got the rights to Captain Marvel for media and comics so DC Couldn't call him that anymore. So now he is Shazam
They've never really stopped making Captain Marvel comics. They just screwed with the name of the comics he'd appear in in different ways, at different times. Until after the New 52, when they doubled down and firmly changed Captain Marvel into Shazam... even though the Wizard is (was?) always Shazam.

And I'm sure there's been an explanation for this since the New 52 but... previous to it, if Batson says "Shazam!" he either turns immediately into Captain Marvel or summons a lightning bolt from Shazam down. But now his name is Shazam. How does he even have a conversation now with anyone? Just... avoids saying his own name, perpetually? Weird.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:51 AM   #68
Vegita-San
Emperor

maybe they put stuff they don't believe in or care about (like PD and Paramount/Turtles) under the newline logo?

or don't think it's 'edgy' enough to fit under the WB logo? make casuals think a different company is responsible for it?

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:26 AM   #69
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Shazam was originally a Fawcett comics in 1940, and at a point even outsold the her he was a rip-off off; Superman. DC or National Comics at the time sued their ass off in the 50's. Marvel Comics Captain Marvel is from the late 60's and they snatched the trademark while Fawcett wasn't publishing any books, DC didn't publish Shazam until the 70's iirc.

So it's a mess
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:28 PM   #70
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
They weren't kidding when the movie was gonna be Big with Superpowers. I love that its lighthearted.\
My thoughts exactly. I also find it to be a bit of a coincidence that this trailer dropped around the time of Big's 30th anniversary.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:28 PM   #72
Leo656
The Franchise

These trailers are bipolar as f*ck.

I really like all the dramatic stuff, but this feels way too much like a kids' movie, rather than just "a movie kids can also enjoy". It's incredibly try-hard and not funny. I'm nervous.

I love Captain Marvel. A lot of his stories are more light-hearted, but HE'S no clown. This definitely feels more like a remake of "Big" where the kid dresses like Captain Marvel rather than a true "Shazam" movie. I don't think they understand the material. If the jokes were dialed down just a shade and Cap himself wasn't such a goof, it would be better. Visually they nailed it pretty well.

I'm sure it's going to do well BECAUSE it's so goofy, and will be highly-praised by people who don't read comics, but this thing looks like it has serious balance issues, just going by what they've decided to lead with. Maybe the final movie will be more even.

Still, the desperation of DC/WB to prove that they have a sense of humor is overwhelming. I really wish that wasn't the big "lesson" they took away from The Other Guys' films.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:37 PM   #73
Sumac
Banned

News at 11: people don't like depressive stuff!
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:01 PM   #74
Leo656
The Franchise

News at 11: You don't have to hit someone with a rubber mallet to be "funny" either.

Captain Marvel is light-hearted. This looks like a straight up comedy children's film, which is not what the books are about at all. If anything Cap is generally the straight man and it's the situations that are absurd. The trailers have it all backwards.

Criticism stands. Hoping the final product is more even-handed than the trailers.

Also, and for the thousandth time: speak for yourself and no one else, please. I'lll take a product of substance, regardless of subject matter, over something designed to elict chuckles and nothing more, any day of the week. 99% of "comedic" films are vapid swill. It's entirely possible for a movie to be funny without screaming in your face that it is, indeed, funny. "Scrooged", for example, is very funny. But it also knows better than to repeatedly insist upon itself.

I laugh a lot in real life. Not at "funny" movies. Because they are generally not actually very funny, they're either over-the-top gross like "American Pie" or plain insipid like anything Adam Sandler ever made. Very little middle ground in the "comedy" genre. I'm a big fan of subtlety; "funny" movies don't know how to be funny without making it painful. They try too hard.

Especially when dealing with stories that are ultimately not supposed to be funny. Like super-hero stories. They're not funny. Most of them are about averting the apocalypse in some way. That isn't funny. I don't see the joke.

Old 01-24-2019, 02:59 AM   #75
Leo656
The Franchise

https://screenrant.com/shazam-movie-...#leave-comment

Pretty interesting stuff. Not a huge fan of New 52 influence, but I like the general story they're going for, based on the outline. Pretty interested in seeing how Sivana turns out. The visual stuff in the trailers like the transformation stuff is really good, so the description of some of the action scenes sounds promising. It sounds better than the trailers have made it out to be so far.

I hate those boots, though. That's a hard pass. They kept the short cape and the gauntlets, they should have kept the old swashbuckler boots, too. And in some lighting, the gold parts that are supposed to look metallic kind of look plastic. They can probably touch that up. Apart from that I think the costume is pretty good.

Old 01-24-2019, 04:53 AM   #76
drgon78
Mad Scientist

I am not a fan of the new 52 stuff but there are a few good ideas and this version of Dr. Sivana is one of them.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:31 AM   #77
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Especially when dealing with stories that are ultimately not supposed to be funny. Like super-hero stories. They're not funny. Most of them are about averting the apocalypse in some way. That isn't funny. I don't see the joke.
Yeah, men in bright tights and women in bikini armor averting end of the world from the crazy scientists, psychotic aliens and whatnot is an pinnacle of dramatic writing.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:13 PM   #78
Leo656
The Franchise

In another thread, I (correctly, it seems) assumed that you are one of those, "It's silly dumb junk, therefore the movies should also be silly dumb junk" types, and you denied feeling that way. Now, you confirm it. Pick a side and commit to it.

It's silly to have such strong opinions about a genre you apparently look down on.

Also, those of us who actually read comics could tell you all about what kinds of great stories exist within the medium, but it would be a waste of time, so I won't.

I'm the "elitist", though. Silly.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:43 PM   #79
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
In another thread, I (correctly, it seems) assumed that you are one of those, "It's silly dumb junk, therefore the movies should also be silly dumb junk" types, and you denied feeling that way. Now, you confirm it. Pick a side and commit to it.

It's silly to have such strong opinions about a genre you apparently look down on.

Also, those of us who actually read comics could tell you all about what kinds of great stories exist within the medium, but it would be a waste of time, so I won't.

I'm the "elitist", though. Silly.
Too many assumptions make you an ass, don't you know?

That aside, I don't look down upon the genre of comic book movies or comic books.
I know that there are a lot of good works, but denying that fundamentally a LOT of the comic book stuff hinges on absurd and ridiculous concepts and pretending that people ALWAYS should take them 100% seriously is ridiculous.

Like a guy who dresses as a bat for example. Yeah, there are a lot of good stories about Batman that dwell deep into psychology of the characters and stuff. But at the end of the day its a ****ing story about guy who dresses as a bat and fights themed psychos. You can't pretend that it is not ridiculous at its core.

It's just instead of 'sperging "how dare you not to take muh comic books seriously!" you can figure out that, it is entirely possible to understand ridiculous concepts behind them and at the same enjoy the story.

It's the same thing with TMNT - it's a story about four humanoid turtles rised by a rat, fighting against guy who covers himself in cheese graters, leading a clan with a hilarious name.
It would be rather hilarious to convince me, or anyone else for that matter, that such premise is anything but parody-tier. Yet, it doesn't mean that it should effect your or anyone else's enjoyment of stories about them.

TL;DR
You can acknowledge that premise of the story is ridiculous and still admire the story itself.
Like most adequate people do.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:16 PM   #80
Leo656
The Franchise

I see what you're saying and agree to a certain point, but I still think that at times you're needlessly provocative and that it undermines your position on many of your points, be they entertainment-related or otherwise.

And I generally try not to assume anything about anyone, I just work with what they give me. If you're sincerely not a person who strives to condescend, I feel obligated to point out that at times, you do quite the convincing impression of one who does. Whether that's intentional or not, I truly have no idea. Many people here believe your main goal on the forum is merely to incite; that's the impression each of them has independently formed and in turn expressed to me, based on how you've spoken to or at them. I know you don't care, nor would I ask you to, but I feel like pointing out that if anyone's "assumptions" about your character are wrong, that they too are simply working with whatever data you've presented to them.

I personally suspect that you like getting a reaction, and otherwise wouldn't bother posting a lot of what you do about things you only half-care about, but if you say that's not true, then fine, I guess I have to believe you. "May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house", and all that jazz.

Tags
cuckam!, edgelordsliketags, sjwazam!