The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 08-05-2019, 04:18 AM   #21
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

I remember first seeing the figures. In 1988 (I was 10), they were taking over the toy aisle of a local department store. The packaging really got my attention. I first thought the Turtles were bad guys because they didn't have pupils. Then I saw "Splinter No More" and "Teenagers from Dimension X" at 6am on two Saturday mornings on my local ABC affiliate. The opening title sequence really caught me. I started drawing them a lot, discovered the Mirage comics at #16 and the rest is history.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:38 AM   #22
sdp
Megan Fox = April

No idea, too young, probably the toys.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:57 AM   #23
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Legit saw the TV ad for its first five eps. The fact that it was unique to see turtles using martial arts and cool weopns, and the fact that (at the time) it was a one-time only event made me not want to miss it.

I remember Toxic Crusaders was the same thing. 5 episode one time mini series that became its own show. Even had a similar set up where Shredder was the guy in charge for those 5 episodes but was stuck following Krang's orders when it became a series due to how episode 5 ended. Their main bad guy also has to answer to someone higher when the show became a series.

Takes me back to Battletoads, which in the end, turned out to be a one-time event and never sprung out into its own show. On the flip side, Swamp Thing had a single episode which would become a series.

I wonder what would have been had the TMNT never made it and was just stuck with those first 5 episodes.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:04 AM   #24
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Legit saw the TV ad for its first five eps. The fact that it was unique to see turtles using martial arts and cool weopns, and the fact that (at the time) it was a one-time only event made me not want to miss it.

I remember Toxic Crusaders was the same thing. 5 episode one time mini series that became its own show. Even had a similar set up where Shredder was the guy in charge for those 5 episodes but was stuck following Krang's orders when it became a series due to how episode 5 ended. Their main bad guy also has to answer to someone higher when the show became a series.

Takes me back to Battletoads, which in the end, turned out to be a one-time event and never sprung out into its own show. On the flip side, Swamp Thing had a single episode which would become a series.

I wonder what would have been had the TMNT never made it and was just stuck with those first 5 episodes.
Has the promo advertising for the five episodes been preserved on Youtube? I have never seen it!
Old 08-05-2019, 11:01 AM   #25
Lord Nightwalker
Stone Warrior

The Mirage black and white. Issue nine was the first one for me, I believe. Maybe issue twelve. I was in scouts when I found it. Good times.
Lord Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:40 PM   #26
AquaParade
Banned

I must have been so young that I feel like I was practically born into TMNT. Must be why it has remained such a constant.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:03 PM   #27
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Despite my favourite version being the 80s cartoon, it was actually the 2003 cartoon and 2007 movie that served as my introduction to tmnt during the time that the movie was out in theatres.

I also remember playing an emulated version of the tmnt NES game on ps1, and watching AVGN and Irategamer's reviews of those games back in 2006-2007, so do those count?

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:32 AM   #28
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Despite my favourite version being the 80s cartoon, it was actually the 2003 cartoon and 2007 movie that served as my introduction to tmnt during the time that the movie was out in theatres.

I also remember playing an emulated version of the tmnt NES game on ps1, and watching AVGN and Irategamer's reviews of those games back in 2006-2007, so do those count?
Angry Video Game Nerd reviewed on 29 June 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjUz8IT0CYg

Irategamer reviewed on 10 September 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqB1e7MlWN8
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:44 AM   #29
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

From watching the OT on TV and VHS tapes. The toys, Henson TMNT movies and Archie comics version came later on.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:41 AM   #30
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Has the promo advertising for the five episodes been preserved on Youtube? I have never seen it!
Hmmm idk. I mean back then you'd have to have been randomly recording commercials or some other show to have captured it. You'd have no way of knowing that weird show would become a big hit.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:28 PM   #31
DonnieTello
Mouser

Compared to all the veterans and turtle connoisseurs of this thread I'm a peasant. I just got bored one night, went looking through IMDb, saw the Fred Wolf cartoon, watched it. Liked it. Decided to look at everything else TMNT and now I'm here.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:57 AM   #32
rickwj324
Mad Scientist

I was aware of TMNT starting with the Mirage books in the 80's (before the cartoon). I didn't read them at first though. Sometime after the FW toon came out I started picking up the Mirage titles and eventually picked up the Archie comics for a bit.
I've always liked the turtles, but it was the Nick TMNT that made me a true fan. I just love that show so much.
rickwj324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:07 AM   #33
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

I discovered them when the TV network started to air previews of the series in 1988.

After that it was as if the flood gates opened and Turtle mania was just as big as He-man a few years prior.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:33 AM   #34
Overlord

Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Saiyaman View Post
I discovered them when the TV network started to air previews of the series in 1988.
So the first TMNT cartoon came to the Netherlands already by 1988?
Old 08-07-2019, 11:01 AM   #35
Shred87
Hench Mutant

I can’t ever remember a time that I didn’t know the franchise. A combination of the first movie/figures/Fred wolf cartoon....
Shred87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:21 PM   #36
ABrown
Banned

About the time that the original cartoon went into five day a week syndication in the Fall of 1989, TMNT started becoming pretty popular among my third grade classmates. I didn't find the show to be all that entertaining. However, when the 1990 movie came out in the theater, my dad took me to see it. MAN did I love it. I had no idea that's what TMNT is. It was at that point that I started to regularly watch the original cartoon. I stuck with it until around Christmas 1991, when I got a Super Nintendo. At that point, it was all video games and sports for me. I stopped watching the cartoon until the I saw the "red sky era" in the mid 90's. That rejuvenated my love for TMNT.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:40 AM   #37
Overlord

Turtles in Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
it was all video games and sports for me.
Didn't you get Turtles in Time in 1992?
Old 08-11-2019, 11:35 AM   #38
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

got a few for Christmas presents one year
Old 08-11-2019, 02:28 PM   #39
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpugh2424 View Post
got a few for Christmas presents one year
Without even asking for it?
Old 08-11-2019, 05:46 PM   #40
ABrown
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Didn't you get Turtles in Time in 1992?
Nope, in 1992 I got The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Le...nk_to_the_Past) for my 11th birthday and NCAA Basketball (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_B...l_(video_game)) for Christmas that year.

Last edited by ABrown; 08-12-2019 at 07:29 AM.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote