The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 03-05-2023, 01:33 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Oh god what did we ever do to deserve this.
I blame the people in the vol. 4 lettercol. Well, I do but I don't. But the chickens have come home to roost either way, as they say.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 03-05-2023 at 02:16 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 03:53 AM   #2
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I blame the people in the vol. 4 lettercol..
I was a regular on those. My grammar was f*cking terrible...and I was in my 20s!
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 02:10 AM   #3
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Oh god what did we ever do to deserve this.
It’s what we didn’t do actually.

Old 03-05-2023, 12:24 AM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
I sincerely hope these kids are better actors as VAs than the majority of what Nickelodeon tends to hire for their live action shows these days. They seem to hire kids whose acting couldn't seem authentic if their lives depended on it, and then we're told and now confirmed that they hired a bunch of teens... for the love of whatever, just please have talent. Actual talent, not superficial, surface level Nick show lack of talent where obnoxiousness is used to try to make up for it.
Technically, they always should have had teens for the voices of the Turtles. Or adults that can perennially sound like teens (Bart and Lisa voice actors, etc.) until such a time as the Turtles are no longer teens.
Old 03-06-2023, 07:47 AM   #5
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Interesting trailer.I liked how when there is a crime, they don't all go running to help. It's only Leo that seems interested in getting involved, and that's more just to help, not to be a crime fighter. The inexperience I can buy, they seem younger than most incarnations. Bebop and Rocksteady and the toys leads me to think there is a mutant street gang, and the TMNT fall In with the wrong crowd. This film could be good or bad. Depending on which way it goes.

Last edited by Panda_Kahn_fan; 03-06-2023 at 11:39 AM.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 08:02 AM   #6
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Shockingly, I don't hate it and am very interested in checking it out. It's definitely drawing a lot of inspiration from the Into the Spider-Verse style of animation that never pulled me in, but that I did a 180 on with how beautiful Puss in Boots looked.

They're much more teenage-based and sound like kids, but I don't mind it? Maybe it's because they actually LOOK like the Turtles, albeit with the clearly Viacom-mandated things we've noticed over the last few years with Donatello with glasses and Raphael with the skull cap.

Which honestly brings me to the April thing, I don't think that was a Seth Rogen push and feel that was another carryover from a Viacom mandate to try and have April more ethnic in another version given that Rise **** the bed. Truthfully, I think people need to get over it at this point.

Given that the original 1987 series white-washed both April and Baxter, I know that it's easy for everyone to cling to the most obvious April design ... but I'm very open to April being a bit more expansive race-wise given her background in the comics. I'm sure it's a business move to be more inclusive, and they're in a no-win situation if they try to give young kids of all races a new main character to enjoy vs. changing the design. If the heart of the character is there and it doesn't change their background (I.E. Eric Sacks) I'm game. The complaints I see about gender and race politics remind so much of the kind of bigotry disguised as "conservative values" folks I used to know from my hometown that it's kind of gross.

But back on topic, I like the animation and I like the Turtles so far. Will I like the execution? Time will tell, but I'm willing to give this a shot.

Last edited by RaphaelinSTL; 03-06-2023 at 08:16 AM.
RaphaelinSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 08:20 AM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

Animation wise it looks pretty fine.

The glasses on Don are terrible, and the voice actors are actual teenagers so they sound pretty young and off. April, assuming that was her asking about the ooze at the end, is fat and black, but at least not as fat as the storyboards were.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 08:24 AM   #8
Monty Mole
Hench Mutant

Anyone notice the Peter Laird easter egg?
Monty Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 08:28 AM   #9
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Mole View Post
Anyone notice the Peter Laird easter egg?
"The Laird". Always nice to see them referenced.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 08:41 AM   #10
Barkworm
Super Moderator

I haven't posted here in a long time but I wanted to leave my thoughts on this somewhere.

So far it doesn't look bad at all. I've recently rewatched some scenes from the 2014 film and that one was quite possibly one of the worst films I've ever seen so any improvement is super easy but the (actual) teenage angle they're going for seems to be working. Sure, they're going a little too hard for the Spider-Verse tone but at least that's a much better thing to borrow from than Bay Transformers.

Of course, as a grown-up person I shouldn't be caring too much about this but one of my favourite childhood memories is watching the 1990 film with my brother and father in the cinema and I'm looking for a chance to somewhat recreate this with my kids who are about the same age we were back then.
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 08:29 AM   #11
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaelinSTL View Post
Given that the original 1987 series white-washed both April and Baxter, I know that it's easy for everyone to cling to the most obvious April design ... but I'm very open to April being a bit more expansive race-wise given her background in the comics.
Oh come on that's a myth. April was originally white in the comics.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 07:50 AM   #12
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Visually, I'm liking this art style a lot, it's interesting. Turtle designs...so-so, not terrible (Mikey, eh lol), so I guess that's acceptable. Kinda look more like middle school age though. Just gonna be honest, only part I'm really disliking is the voices and turned out how I feared it might. Won't be a deal breaker and maybe I'll warm to it in the coming months with more clips seen, but they sound like they're 12...
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 07:56 AM   #13
beardcore84
Foot Soldier

Trailer looks awesome. Already looks way more compelling than the 2014-2016 stuff. Very hopeful here.
beardcore84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 08:02 AM   #14
deadsy333
Foot Soldier

I thought this looked pretty awesome. Loved the art style. Sure there are some complaints, but overall great. My kid (11) liked it too.
deadsy333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 10:51 AM   #15
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

Guys… this is what matinee’s are for, that way you only spend a little unless you want snacks.
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 11:05 AM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewarrior20 View Post
Guys… this is what matinee’s are for, that way you only spend a little unless you want snacks.
Why on earth would I give even a few dollars to such a thing?
Old 03-06-2023, 11:46 AM   #17
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

I noticed in this version, there is a small mirage element; three of them don't want to be crime fighters at all. When a crime or emergency happens, three of the turtles' reaction is 'nothing we can do, let's go get lunch'. Only Leo seems to want to be a hero (judging by his expression in the trailer), step in, and help.That may change during the movie, though.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.

Last edited by Panda_Kahn_fan; 03-06-2023 at 12:58 PM.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 01:45 AM   #18
DragonSoul
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
I noticed in this version, there is a small mirage element; three of them don't want to be crime fighters at all. When a crime or emergency happens, three of the turtles' reaction is 'nothing we can do, let's go get lunch'. Only Leo seems to want to be a hero (judging by his expression in the trailer), step in, and help.That may change during the movie, though.
I think only Raph doesn't want to be a crime fighter right away. Raph really looked disinterested when the sound happened and when potential crime was afoot. It seems like Don and Mikey want to help, judging by their concerned looks, but are too timid and its Leo who pulls them together and leads them to battle crime. It seems that these turtles have their distinctive personalities intact and are not all similar like with ROTTMNT. I think it will be interesting to see these baby turtles become crime fighters.

I am really hoping for the whole Raph vs Leo sibling rivalry to pop up in the movie. Its better story telling when characters are different and clash against each other to create layered conflict in the story, well in my opinion anyways lol.
DragonSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 12:53 PM   #19
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

To comment on a few things being discussed...

Yeah, plenty of women have voiced male characters, but keep in mind those characters are typically always kids. You ever hear a woman voicing an adult male character? I haven't. So unless this Leatherhead is also a child (wouldn't that be odd), they probably did switch gender. I don't agree the name has to change, but the toy design is throwing me off. I appreciate not adding human physical elements to make an anthro reptile animal character appear female and let an alligator be an alligator, but the attire could have at least hinted a little more, without going into stereotypes.

Technically, I think Leo was concerned less so via an urge to fight crime but, assuming that shot goes along with Raph and Mikey playing with throwing stars and a watermelon since it doesn't look cut.... they caused it. I'm guessing this might be their first time going above ground and Leo is on edge with the rest of them playing around, because he's not looking so thrilled sitting in the background before freaking out over the star probably hitting someone or a car below.

Or maybe it hit April or something she's carrying. We do hear a woman react.

Speaking of April, not see enough yet, but so far I don't mind her. Better than I was expecting from those storyboards. Is she really a teacher? Or just a student or maybe a teacher's aid? As much as I want to go back to the 20-something redhead April had been, I don't mind this one. She kind of looks like a general Disney/Pixar style human, to be honest.

Please explain how the hell someone spins swords.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 03-06-2023 at 01:47 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 12:19 PM   #20
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Eh, I probably won't see this in the theatre. Might catch it on the high seas once it hits streaming.

I also don't think it's going to be the answer to anything. Kids and the arrested will enjoy it and buy the toys and that's it, then forget about it and move on, unless there's TV content to follow, and even that is no guarantee of a major or niche audience given the failure of Rise.

Turtles are too young for my liking
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bebop, cubedhatesblackpeople, leatherhead, mondo gecko, rocksteady, tigercuck, wingnut