The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 09-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
miru
Mad Scientist

Sonic the Comic: Online

The Fleetway-published, European Sonic comic has received an online continuation online, which can be found here: http://www.stconline.co.uk/262/controlzone.html

Basically, think of it as the Mirage TMNT book compared to the Archie TMNT book, it's more story driven and quite a bit grimmer. Robotnik is taken almost totally seriously, characters have blood feuds, Super Sonic is psycho, there are many grotesque beasts, and there's more than a few deaths, most of which last. This comic is also notable as being the only anything to portray Rouge as truly villainous, working for the evil Drakon Empire and very merciless, willing to kill innocents. (Like Karai in IDW and Leatherhead in Fred Wolf are the only completely villainous portrayals of the characters). She's not the only one though, as Jet, Robotnik, and others are much crueler than the SEGA versions.

There are many characters not found in Archie's version or the SEGA games as well.

So, your thoughts?
Old 09-16-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
Leo656
The Franchise

I never got to read it but I always wanted to check it out. I probably will, I've heard good things.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:34 AM   #3
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Honestly, the last couple of years I've found the online comic to be crammed with idiot ball plotting, particulatr when it comes to the "Sonic the Traitor" story, it's still a great love letter to the original comic (which is miles better than Archie)

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 09-17-2013 at 09:42 AM.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:10 AM   #4
Leo656
The Franchise

I like the Archie book, granted it's hit-or-miss and it's all I've read, but I've always liked it. I somehow got in on the ground floor when the first issue came out. Not sure why I cared, I'd only played the game like twice to that point.

Sally's my second favorite character, so I confess I pay a little less attention to Sonic universes where she and the Archie characters aren't present. It's just what I grew up with, but I do like Sonic pretty well in general.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:47 AM   #5
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Oh I still enjoy a bit of Archie (Ian Flynn is knocking it out of the park), but I'm kind of content with the Mobius XX Years Later series being the end point. I'm just at that age to want nice definitive futures for my favorite characters, and any timeline where Sonic and Sally make it to parenthood passes the mustard with me over the endless "stop/start" nature of their relationship in the current comic climate.

The STC stuff was always just a little more on point with it's humor, and Sonic could range from an overconfident wisecracker to a condescening concieted prick to his friends which made for an interesting study in character dynamics. Robotnik and Grimmer (the UK's version of Snively) were a lively double-act, and the comics adaptations of the games were top notch.

The comic also had comic strips for various other video game, both popular and completly obscure. Mark Miller even wrote a Streets of Rage strip for the comic, and it gave cult classic Decap Attack a whole different lease of life as a comedy strip.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
Darth Knuckles
Stone Warrior

I know Sonic the Comic just a little bit in comparison to the Archie Comics. I love the Archie Comics and it is the only thing (well Archie Sonic/Knuckles Comics & the SEGA Sonic games...in the 1990's!) that I could say I love more than TMNT.